Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2018 EV Incentive Program for Irish Taxi Drivers

• 30-11-2017 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

New program rolling out from the 1st of February 2018 to provide incentives for Taxi drivers to purchase EVs.

There will be a €7000 grant for Battery Electric Vehicles (BEVs). <= this will probably be defined as vehicles solely propelled by electric motors (like the BIK incentive)
    There will be a €3500 grant for Plug-in Hybrid vehicles.

The e-SPSV grants are applicable to both new and used vehicles up to 6 years old.

This program is in addition to the existing €3800 commercial SEAI grant for new vehicles.
    For imports, the VRT relief of €5000 (BEV) or €2500 (PHEV) applies, although imports will not receive the €3800 SEAI grant.
    Companies can also avail of accelerated capital allowances to fully depreciate the vehicles in year 1.

This program is open to existing licensed PSV drivers and WAT new-entrants.

Night rate electricity is 10-12 times cheaper than diesel per km and maintenance is minimal to non-existent.

The following BEVs have a waiver in place that allows them to pass the SPSV requirements:
    • Nissan Leaf 2017 - waiver given for luggage capacity
    • Renault Zoe - waiver given for luggage capacity

The following BEVs have passed or should have no issues passing the SPSV requirements without requiring waivers:
    • Citroen Berlingo Multispace Electric (UK import)
    • Hyundai Ioniq BEV
    • Mercedes B250e (UK import)
    • Nissan Leaf 2018 (luggage space improved over previous model)
    • Nissan eNV200 (5/7 seater and wheelchair accessible | new longer range model 1st deliveries in April 2018)
    • Peugeot Partner Teepee Electric (UK import)
    • Tesla Model S
    • Tesla Model X

The following Plug-in Hybrids are SPSV approved models:
    • BMW 330e
    • BMW 530e
    • Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
    • Toyota Prius PHEV (2017 onward)
    • Volvo V60 Estate PHEV (discontinued)
    • Volvo XC60 T8
    • Volvo XC90 T8

The following Plug-in Hybrids are not SPSV approved models yet, but should have no issues passing:
    • BMW 740e
    • BMW X5 PHEV
    • Hyundai Ioniq PHEV (available Q1 2018)
    • Volkswagen Passat GTE
    • Volkswagen Passat GTE Estate

The following BEVs/EREVs (extended range EVs) do not meet SPSV requirements:
    • BMW i3
    • Ford Focus Electric
    • Hyundai Kona BEV
    • Kia Soul BEV
    • Kia Stonic BEV
    • VW eGolf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Let's give the new PSV EV drivers the benefit of the doubt lads.

If this thread descends into a another charging/charging etiquette discussion I'm going to have to split that stuff out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The Prius PHV (note: no "E") is approved, even though it's only got 4 seats?

I can't see PHEVs being that useful for taxi drivers at all unless they have charging points at the ranks, as they would want to be charging regularly throughout the day to make the most of it.

The Prius PHV (note: no "E") is approved, even though it's only got 4 seats?

The four-seat 2016- Prius plugin is on the SPSV model list as approved.

It's not the best option with the tiny battery and high price. BEV is the way to go for running costs and reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Without going into the charger etiquette issue - is there a corresponding plan to install chargers at ranks?

I suspect taxis drive more than 150km per day...they'll need topping up

Dardania wrote: »
    Without going into the charger etiquette issue - is there a corresponding plan to install chargers at ranks?

I suspect taxis drive more than 150km per day...they'll need topping up

Well most of the new EVs hitting the road as this comes in have real world ranges in the 250km area, even far more than that in stop/start traffic.
    Dublin taxi drivers are unlikely to need anything beyond overnight charging at home for all but unusually high mileage days.

The 2018 eNV200 would be an ideal Taxi for Dublin drivers. Easier and less stressful to drive than the diesel van conversions out there, already SPSV approved for 6 pax and can easily be made wheelchair accessible.
    40kWh pack would handle 200km of high speed motorway driving or 300km+ of 50-80km/h pootling about in the city.

I have a deposit down on a 40kWh eNV200 panel van for est. April delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭stesaurus

cros13 wrote: »
    Well most of the new EVs hitting the road as this comes in have real world ranges in the 250km area, even far more than that in stop/start traffic.
    Dublin taxi drivers are unlikely to need anything beyond overnight charging at home for all but unusually high mileage days.

The 2018 eNV200 would be an ideal Taxi for Dublin drivers. Easier and less stressful to drive than the diesel van conversions out there, already SPSV approved for 6 pax and can easily be made wheelchair accessible.
    40kWh pack would handle 200km of high speed motorway driving or 300km+ of 50-80km/h pootling about in the city.

How much is the eNV200 retailing at?

So with this additional grant a taxi driver could land a Leaf 2 for around 20-21k?

stesaurus wrote: »
    How much is the eNV200 retailing at?

Pricing not officially released yet :)

Not a whole lot more than the current eNV200 price you can see on the Nissan site.
    stesaurus wrote: »
    So with this additional grant a taxi driver could land a Leaf 2 for around 20-21k?

Yup! Or an XE Leaf for around 18k. Or a new 2017 24kWh SVE for ~10k if they can still find one come February.

The big thing is the grant applies to used vehicles as well. So they could pick up a cheap 2013 or 2014 Leaf or Zoe from the UK and get most (or all) of the purchase price back in the grant.
    Of course something like that would make a less than ideal taxi.

Better picks would be:
    Ioniq - £23-25k used - 0 VRT on import due to the credit - €7k back on the grant - landed price ex grant of €19-21k - meets SPSV vehicle regs - 8 year 200k km europe-wide warranty on the powertrain.
    Tesla Model S - £43-45k for a 2014 - €2-3k VRT on import due to the credit - €7k back on the grant - meets SPSV vehicle regs - 4 year manufacturer CPO warranty
    Peugeot Partner Tepee Electric - difficult to find ~£10-12k - 0 VRT on import due to the credit - €7k back on the grant - landed price ex grant of €4-6k - meets SPSV vehicle regs
    Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - £13-15k for a 2014 - €2-3k VRT on import due to the credit - €3.5k back on the grant - meets SPSV vehicle regs

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

So they could pick up a cheap 2013 or 2014 Leaf or Zoe from the UK

How the hell did the Zoe get approved to be a taxi? It's tiny!

unkel wrote: »
    How the hell did the Zoe get approved to be a taxi? It's tiny!

Through a waiver. I was surprised at that too. I'd already added it to the unsuitable for taxi use list before I spotted "passed" on the official SPSV model list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Zoe makes it but Kona and Stonic don't? Is that just because they're not fully released yet.

The 7k grant I would assume is a sliding scale based on either value or age of vehicle. Surely not going to give the full amount on all vehicles???? 2012 leaf landed for 0 after grant haha

So next question. How the hell do I register as a taxi driver to avail of these grants and bus lane usage ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Is Zoe *really* more suitable as a taxi than an eGolf?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The father in law has to get out of his 08 Octavia’s in March. I’ve been trying to convince him of a hybrid so this very much welcome.

Any update on this. Where do you apply for the grant etc

Edit. Found this thing called google. It answered my own question :)

You might as well share it here :p

unkel wrote: »
    You might as well share it here :p

:)

Basically has to be plug inhybrid or full EV to avail of the grant. I misread and assumed any hybrid would qualify.
    He’s not open to full EV currently and plug in hybrid is out of budget.

He bought a 2014 Prius.

That's a pity. I'm a bit surprised you haven't been able to convince him :p

An Ioniq / new Leaf would be pretty good taxis and either will save him a fortune in running / maintenance costs. In Amsterdam, over 50% of all new taxis are Teslas. Tesla Model S and Model X are number 1 and number 2 in EV sales in the Netherlands. And the people over there are careful with their money is the cliché, isn't it? Tell him that and force a spreadsheet on him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Firblog

Very interested in this, what is the advertised driving range on it? I'll take that divide it by 3 and come up with the real world figure for driving in Donegal... :D

Firblog wrote: »
    Very interested in this, what is the advertised driving range on it? I'll take that divide it by 3 and come up with the real world figure for driving in Donegal... :D

NEDC advertised 280km for the seven seater, 300km for the panel van.

Real world is 190-220km with the low end being driving at over 100km/h in winter.
    On national routes tipping about at 80km/h you could easily see 230-250km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Herself will be very interested in a 7 seater EV with 40kw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Firblog

NEDC advertised 280km for the seven seater, 300km for the panel van.

Real world is 190-220km with the low end being driving at over 100km/h in winter.
    On national routes tipping about at 80km/h you could easily see 230-250km.

I'm lucky to get 100km in 24kwh leaf no matter what the weather. Will the van have a 6.6 charging do you know?

• Advertisement

Firblog wrote: »
    Will the van have a 6.6 charging do you know?

Yes, It's being made standard in all markets for the 40kWh, although Nissan Ireland only ever imported 6.6kW eNV200s even for the 24kWh (we initially missed out on the reversing camera in part exchange).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

Any update to the link or how to apply for this grant.

Have Googled and cannot find any specific details

kala85 wrote: »
    Any update to the link or how to apply for this grant.

Have Googled and cannot find any specific details

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/eSPSV_Grant_Scheme_2018_-_Information_Guide.pdf

• Thought some here might be interested in this

Fully EV, but has a petrol generator onboard to add charge to the batteries if needed. The petrol engine is not connected to the wheels, only to the batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Saw that episode last night - looks very nice inside. I wonder though what the absolute cost of it is - are there far cheaper ways to get an EV taxi in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You'd get a CPO model S for cheaper. But it wouldnt have the REX.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

I had a taxi driver the other day asking all about our i3 and electric cars when he saw it in the drive. He was well aware of the additional grant and doing a lot of research into the Leaf II.

Good to see the grant is getting attention.

His daily mileage was fine for the new Leaf range but his concern was when he gets a lucrative long journey fare opportunity. I'll guess that will be the balance until cheaper electrics have current Tesla type range.

Lower running and maintenance costs vs. missing out on occasional very long fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

uphillonly wrote: »
    I had a taxi driver the other day asking all about our i3 and electric cars when he saw it in the drive. He was well aware of the additional grant and doing a lot of research into the Leaf II.

Good to see the grant is getting attention.

His daily mileage was fine for the new Leaf range but his concern was when he gets a lucrative long journey fare opportunity. I'll guess that will be the balance until cheaper electrics have current Tesla type range.

Lower running and maintenance costs vs. missing out on occasional very long fares.

It's probably 5 years since he had a lucrative long fare !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Spotted 2 Leafs (leaves?) with taxi plates in the space of 5 minutes today.

Advertisement