Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheap Broadband, for light use.

• 05-11-2018 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭

Fatpipe Fibre 24, from Magnet, is only €30pm, with a lead-in price of €20pm, for 3 months. There is no landline or line rental charges.

It gives up to 24Mb/s Speeds (I get 19Mb/s), with 'Unlimited' Downloads. I don't know their fair usage policy, but I've had no problems for the last 3 months for usage that includes about 1-2 hours streaming, per day, of (legal) HD content.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Vodafone gigabit is €25 a month for first 6 month and €45 for the following 6 months.
    I only have the fibre broadband in my area but the service is spot on and you can change names on the bill every 12 months to get the offer year on year.
    Great speed for 4K Netflix etc last month I used 600gb of data lol
    I agree that there are many great lead-in offers, right now. However, having to change details, every year, is a pain.
    I don’t have a UHD TV, so the offer I posted works well for me.
    At €30pm, without discount, it is the cheapest I’ve seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

€30 euro pm for 24 MB is no bargain, not in 2018 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭go4it

the magnet fatpipe fibre offer seems to me that is broadband delivered by phone line ( it's up to 24 Mbps , and you need a phone line to check your availability )
    @NewClareman : can you confirm this broadband is delivered through phone line, and the word FIBRE is added to the package title just to be in-line with the 2018 technologies?

@regarding the speeds and download allowance : in real terms, a medium size ISP could allow a 1TB download cap easily, and reduce your speed to 5Mbps afterwards, just to slow you down.

When comparing broadband offers, some of us are more interested in upload speed , ping times to europe/usa during the 17:00-23:00 time slots

For example i'm ok with 240Mbps from virgin media , but i would love to have 80-100Mbps upload for the same money . ( when streaming HD through VPN , the uploads counts a lot )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Pure are doing 100mb broadband and phone for €30pm for 12 months, 12 months contract. €50 after 12 months, free activation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can't see how they can vaguely get away with calling this fiber.

Its ADSL2+, a more than fifteen year old technology. Its copper all the way from the exchange to the house. No other provider lies so blatantly about it that I'm aware of.

The main products that claim to be fiber and aren't - VDSL and DOCSIS (Cable) are at least fiber to the cabinet, in my case both the VDSL and cable cabinets are beside each other at the end of the road. Eir FTTH and Siro are the only actual fiber products.

"up to 8" is ADSL1, "up to 24" is ADSL2+, "up to 80" is VDSL and "up to 100" is vectored VDSL with anything above that either DOCSIS or FTTH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I agree that there are many great lead-in offers, right now. However, having to change details, every year, is a pain.
    I don’t have a UHD TV, so the offer I posted works well for me.
    At €30pm, without discount, it is the cheapest I’ve seen.

seriously?

takes a couple of minutes at most

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

lawred2 wrote: »
    seriously?

takes a couple of minutes at most

Not if changing technologies completely, only really if going between DSL providers on an existing line

Installer required for the first go on VDSL/FTTH/cable. Router replacements. Reprogramming everything else in the house (unless all set static or you have a seperate DHCP server). I would need to change file server, printer, lighting controller settings and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Fatpipe Fibre 24, from Magnet, is only €30pm, with a lead-in price of €20pm, for 3 months. There is no landline or line rental charges.

It gives up to 24Mb/s Speeds (I get 19Mb/s), with 'Unlimited' Downloads. I don't know their fair usage policy, but I've had no problems for the last 3 months for usage that includes about 1-2 hours streaming, per day, of (legal) HD content.

The only thing nice about magnet was that it's contract free, so you can have it only for as long as you need it.

I was in Ireland for 6 months and got it into the house for that period only, no contract to try and get out of

L1011 wrote: »
    Not if changing technologies completely, only really if going between DSL providers on an existing line

Installer required for the first go on VDSL/FTTH/cable. Router replacements. Reprogramming everything else in the house (unless all set static or you have a seperate DHCP server). I would need to change file server, printer, lighting controller settings and so on.

that's definitely true - but you won't ever be in a situation where you are changing your physical connectivity once every year. It's clear that post was speaking about changing details on retail accounts with resellers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Jameswhalley

Joshua J wrote: »
    Pure are doing 100mb broadband and phone for €30pm for 12 months, 12 months contract. €50 after 12 months, free activation.

Can you get that on fttc

Is is the same product as the eir and vf equivalent

• Advertisement

How do you go about changing your details with your existing provider if you want to renew a deal?

How long before the contract is up do you need to do it?

What if you don't have a maiden name

Can you just change your first name?

Can you get that on fttc

Is is the same product as the eir and vf equivalent

Yeah they just re-sell on eir infrastructure. Got this deal last week myself, only for the broadband had no need for the phone.

go4it wrote: »
    @NewClareman : can you confirm this broadband is delivered through phone line, and the word FIBRE is added to the package title just to be in-line with the 2018 technologies?

It is delivered using FTTC - i.e. fibre to the estate, with copper into the home. This is the same technology as used by most products, other than Virgin Media.

No landline is needed and there is no line rental charge.

use a middle name

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Or the Irish version.

Yeah they just re-sell on eir infrastructure. Got this deal last week myself, only for the broadband had no need for the phone.

What's their fair usage policy ?

What's their fair usage policy ?

Unlimited.
    Unlike some providers, Pure Telecom does not apply either a fair usage policy or traffic management, allowing you to download as much as you want, whenever you want - this means Pure Telecom’s plans are ideal for people who love to game online, download and stream content.

https://switcher.ie/broadband/providers/pure-telecom/

Im just off the phone to pure

They told me they've a 1TB cap and they charge per MB after that

Up to 24mb just isn’t cutting it these days I have higher speeds on my phone
    People are fixated on speed, partially thanks to good advertising.

The only question is whether the particular product will meet your needs.
    Many people, like us, use the internet for browsing, email and video. This product is fine for this and is a big step up from the DSL we had previously, from Sky.

For someone with an Ultra High Definition TV, who regularly download ultra-HD content from Netflix (4K Netflix), then this product is not for them. However, many of us are happy with stand high definition content and this product works well for that. (We watch Netflix on our TV at least once a week, without issue.)

If someone is into certain types of online gaming, where reaction times are critical, that’s an entirely different ballgame. If that were me, I’d be looking at the highest speed broadband available - ideally using fibre straight to the home.

• Advertisement

Im just off the phone to pure

They told me they've a 1TB cap and they charge per MB after that

Never asked tbh as it wouldnt affect me anyway. But there you go, can't trust anything you read these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Bojill

It is delivered using FTTC - i.e. fibre to the estate, with copper into the home. This is the same technology as used by most products, other than Virgin Media.

No landline is needed and there is no line rental charge.

Website says:

WHAT DO I NEED TO SIGN UP?
    – A phone line. If you don’t have one we can order one for you simply continue with your order.
    – If you have an existing phone number we will need your UAN. What is a UAN?

Up to 24mb just isn’t cutting it these days I have higher speeds on my phone
    It really is “horses for courses”. In any case, the headline speed is less important than what can be achieved in real life, at peak times. I have Vodaphone 4G and it gets very congested, at times.

Bojill wrote: »
    Website says:

WHAT DO I NEED TO SIGN UP?
    – A phone line. If you don’t have one we can order one for you simply continue with your order.
    – If you have an existing phone number we will need your UAN. What is a UAN?

I saw that too. I suspect that the issue is due to limitations on either there their systems, or eircom. It would appear that to order the product you need a landline, but you can cancel the landline/phone as part of the order. If you order online you need your UAN, ordering by phone this is not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Works out as 27.50 a month over a year. I guess if you compare that to using a hotspot with a 4G sim and weighing up the hassle of connecting to a phone/topping up every time, it's probably worth it (if the speeds are constantly above 10+mps).

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Is there an additional charge for the landline?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

This is a great bargain for majority of people.

Including the minority of people who stream in hd. Netflix say you need 5Mb for hd.

Only a tiny percentage of the population need more than this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

go4it wrote: »
    the magnet fatpipe fibre offer seems to me that is broadband delivered by phone line ( it's up to 24 Mbps , and you need a phone line to check your availability )

@regarding the speeds and download allowance : in real terms, a medium size ISP could allow a 1TB download cap easily, and reduce your speed to 5Mbps afterwards, just to slow you down.

When comparing broadband offers, some of us are more interested in upload speed , ping times to europe/usa during the 17:00-23:00 time slots

For example i'm ok with 240Mbps from virgin media , but i would love to have 80-100Mbps upload for the same money . ( when streaming HD through VPN , the uploads counts a lot )

Why would you stream through a VPN, for IPTV is it?

L1011 wrote: »
    I can't see how they can vaguely get away with calling this fiber.

Its ADSL2+, a more than fifteen year old technology. Its copper all the way from the exchange to the house. No other provider lies so blatantly about it that I'm aware of.

The main products that claim to be fiber and aren't - VDSL and DOCSIS (Cable) are at least fiber to the cabinet, in my case both the VDSL and cable cabinets are beside each other at the end of the road. Eir FTTH and Siro are the only actual fiber products.

"up to 8" is ADSL1, "up to 24" is ADSL2+, "up to 80" is VDSL and "up to 100" is vectored VDSL with anything above that either DOCSIS or FTTH.

Accusing Magnet of "blatant lying" is a pretty serious charge, that doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
    Through common usage in Ireland, and many other countries, (Retail) Product Names include the term "Fibre" when any element of the delivery, in the local network, is fibre-based.

Fatpipe Fibre 24, the subject of this thread, uses the Eir FTTC/FTTK] infrastructure, resold from Eir Wholesale. The copper tail is terminated by a Zyxel VMG1312-B10D Wireless N VDSL2 4-port Gateway with USB.

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    Is there an additional charge for the landline?

There is no landline, it’s €30pm, all in. 🙂

Advertisement