Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Hayes to leave politics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

jay0109 wrote: »
    Stepping down when his 5yr MEP role finishes next year and has landed a plum job as CEO of the Irish Banking and Payments Federation.
    No conflict of interest of course!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fine-gael-mep-brian-hayes-reveals-he-is-to-leave-politics-to-work-with-the-irish-banking-and-payments-federation-37497408.html

Plum Banking Federation figure head job with no real stress.
    Dail Pension
    Ministerial Pension
    European Pension

I'd say he can't believe his luck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

jay0109 wrote: »
    Stepping down when his 5yr MEP role finishes next year and has landed a plum job as CEO of the Irish Banking and Payments Federation

Does he plan on turning up to that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Marvellous the man is as useful as a chocolate fireguard. Part and parcel of the New ireland or failed system

• Registered Users Posts: 36,023 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He's done well for himself! He had the odd gaffe in his political career and he backed the wrong heave so he might have got as far as he was going to get.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Does he plan on turning up to that one?

d'oh. Mixing him up with Brian Crowley.

As you were...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

I'm absolutely no fan of his but his voting rate seems to be about 93% in Brussels

• Registered Users Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

He must have some record for appearing on RTE radio. He even had to make the announcement on RTE radio, on Sean O'Rourke.

We can expect more of Colm Brophy now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

He must have some record for appearing on RTE radio. He even had to make the announcement on RTE radio, on Sean O'Rourke.

We can expect more of Colm Brophy now.

I hope you have a very low level of expectation...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Brian Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

He seems to have a knack for impressing media types. A journalist friend of mine speaks with bathed breath of his awe inspiring intelligence and how humbled one feels to be in his presence.

Can't say I saw these superhuman smarts on display when he was strategist and organiser of FG's bungled campaign in the last general election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

You naysayers don't get it, this is Fine Gaels big idea 10 years on from the crash. Send young Hayes into the bank, he'll let a few roars & no more bank scandals for us. happyday.

Its another example of Fine Gael/Big Business relations solidifying in the country. Once upon a time Fianna Failers would be getting cushy jobs. Haha no wonder Lisa "vinegar lips" Chambers always looks so disgruntled. The future is with the bright boys in the blueshirts.

I'll tell ya who'll be happy men tonight: Leo, Eoghan, Simon 1 & 2 etc.. If a no mark like Brian Hayes can get sweet gig think of the plum job they will get!

Vote Fine Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Good loser

Good luck to him.

I considered him smart, measured and articulate. Also hard working.

He has done the State some service.

A loss to FG and Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

His last act as an MEP was to vote in favour of cutting off peoples water supply. Yeah he's some FG champion alright. He's an out and out right wing Scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Sums up the current crop of fg'ers imo. Arrogant, smug, full of his own self importance and a poor excuse for a politician

No loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

His last act as an MEP was to vote in favour of cutting off peoples water supply. Yeah he's some FG champion alright. He's an out and out right wing Scumbag.

Why is that an issue? It something people who have their own private well face. If they don't pay their electricity bill, the electricity will be cut off and power to their pump and therefore water supply. It good he has been brave enough to actually stand up for sustainable development. As the summer showed(and current reservoir levels in the greater Dublin area currently show) water is a limited resource that must be conserved and paid for.

Why is that an issue? Hmm let me see.... Water is necessary to sustain life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Why is that an issue? Hmm let me see.... Water is necessary to sustain life.

And so is heat, shelter and food required for life and they don't come free. Coming into winter electricity is arguably far far more important and yet a person can still be cut off. And you have ignored my point that for anyone without access to mains water their water can and will be cut off if they don't pay their electricity/water bill. Its not an unusual situation in this country and I don't see the complaints. In Ireland it's not an issue because unfortunately unlike most first World countries we don't have water charges. Over the summer we saw the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

PeadarCo wrote: »
    Why is that an issue? It something people who have their own private well face. If they don't pay their electricity bill, the electricity will be cut off and power to their pump and therefore water supply. It good he has been brave enough to actually stand up for sustainable development. As the summer showed(and current reservoir levels in the greater Dublin area currently show) water is a limited resource that must be conserved and paid for.

People who have their own private wells avail of (are eligible) for annual state subsistence for the running and upkeep of same, I wish people would have the honesty to put this info up with the woe is me posts about operating one.

To me, Hayes will be remembered as the man who tried to finally end the charade that the 2 x civil war party's were in fact any different to each other by calling for them to merge by way of a grand coalition. And the disastrous election campaign he oversaw which seen his party lose the election that was literally theirs to lose.

That's about it really..

Mundane and useless otherwise, got the feeling he was shunted off to Brussels, out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Russell Salty Gooseberry

People who have their own private wells avail of (are eligible) for annual state subsistence for the running and upkeep of same, I wish people would have the honesty to put this info up with the woe is me posts about operating one.

Have you a link to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,378 ✭✭✭✭listermint

PeadarCo wrote: »

I have my own well.

I pay for my own filters.

I said back in the day when I matched during the water marches that I was jealous of people with their own supply I'd love it I'd love to pay for one.

I then bought a house with one

I still think waters a right and no I don't think we should charge for it . We wasted billions on meters.

Waters not a commodity to sell into private hands I don't care what mental gymnastics neoliberals give for it.

The next wars will be fought over it and I don't want some corporation controlling something that people will die in a matter of days without.

It should be provided out of public finances and we shouldn't have ever wasted that money on individual metering at domestic level.

Sector metering and pipe repair was the obvious choice. But that wouldn't have achieved the ultimate privatise and get it off the public books agenda.

• Advertisement

Have you a link to that?

Yeah and it's been posted numerous times before and probably will be again, just not by me tonight.

This seems to be a little nugget that lots of people who were quite supportive of water charges are unaware of.

Have you a link to that?

No, because it's a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Didn't Hayes lose his Dail in 2002 due to a **** low number of votes and as a reward FG gave him a free job in the Senate so he would keep his continuous political employment and the pension that goes with it?

You mean like the ESB do with the electricity?

I would put that down as a credit.

Good loser wrote: »
    You mean like the ESB do with the electricity?

I would put that down as a credit.

That old trope of an argument. Whataboutery at its finest. :rolleyes:

Good loser wrote: »
    No, because it's a lie.

Yawn..

We've been here before you and I.
    You have to pay for your water if you belong to a private group water scheme. However, local authorities do provide subsidies for each house in a group scheme – see Rates below. Local authorities have the remit to test the water supply and ensure it is safe to drink but they are not responsible for maintaining group scheme pipes and filtration systems.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/water_services/water_supply.html
    Approximately 6% of the population get their drinking water from group water schemes (community-run schemes). Of these, about 70% get their water from private group schemes, which have a privately-sourced water supply. The remaining schemes get their water from an Irish Water connection. Members of group schemes pay water charges but have some of their water services costs subsidised by the government. A very small number of households receive sewerage services through group sewerage schemes, which are also community-run and receive government subsidies.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/water/water-services/rural-water-programme/group-water-schemes-and-rural-water-issues

Implying it's a "lie" is pretty uncivil, considering you're well aware of the fact for reasons stated above.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,848 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Hi, had a look at the link you posted. Doesn't say that. Says

Under this scheme, if your house is more than 7 years old and not connected to either a public or a group scheme, you may be eligible for a grant (subject to some conditions). The grant is worth up to €2,031.58 (or 75% of the cost of the work, whichever is the lesser) and must be used to provide a new water supply or to upgrade an existing one. Only one grant per house will be allowed in any 10-year period. In order to qualify for the grant, the proposed work must cost more than €635. A local authority inspection will be carried out before any work starts.

The bits you quoted yourself are for group schemes which are different again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I suppose if Noonan gets a nice job with Cerberus we'll be asked, 'what of it'? A Shinner uses too much toner and theres uproar :)

Hi, had a look at the link you posted. Doesn't say that. Says

The bits you quoted yourself are for group schemes which are different again

You're not looking in the correct place.

What you've linked to is the costs involved in establishing a well (installing it).

I was referring to the annual recurring costs involved in operating and maintaining a well/GWS.

link
    Rural Water Programme
    Under the department's Rural Water Programme, the Exchequer funds improvements to group water scheme and group sewerage scheme infrastructure so schemes can provide a water supply that meets water quality requirements. Some of the day-to-day costs of group water schemes are also subsidised. Administered by local authorities, the programme also helps to provide new group sewerage schemes and improve private individual water supplies where no alternative supply is available.

An annual subsidy per house is available to group schemes for the operational cost of providing domestic water:

• up to 70 euro for each house supplied from a public (Irish Water) source

up to 140 euro for each house supplied from a private source (well, lake, borehole etc.)

Now, admittedly I'm not on either (GWS or a well) but I find it astonishing that people who are, and are entitled to state subsistence to run and maintain one aren't aware of it, neverminf availing of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,848 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You're not looking in the correct place.

What you've linked to is the costs involved in establishing a well (installing it).

I was referring to the annual recurring costs involved in operating and maintaining a well/GWS.

link

Now, admittedly I'm not on either (GWS or a well) but I find it astonishing that people who are, and are entitled to state subsistence to run and maintain one aren't aware of it, neverminf availing of it.

I'm not trying to argue or contradict you. Was a genuine question. But the link that you said also seems to apply to those on a group scheme. I read it that the group can get an annual grant for each house etc. in the group.

First bullet point seems to be those where the water somehow comes from an Irish Water supply and the second one where a group get together and take water from a private well or a lake etc. Maybe that's being pedantic, but I would imagine there are houses that are not part of group schemes

A group scheme would make sense on an economy scale so I could see why the government would want to encourage people to pool together.

Advertisement