Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Direct Provision Centres in Ireland

Options
  • 13-11-2018 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have seen that the Grand Hotel in Wicklow is now being converted into a direct provisions centre for new asylum seekers entering Ireland. This is only one of several establishments which are now being converted into "short term" relief centres for new asylum seekers.
    The housing crises in Ireland is no secret with several people struggling to find rental accommodation at this moment in time. As a result, homelessness is at an all time high and is very evident throughout our bid cities and towns around Ireland. That leads me to the point of this thread. Why are we accepting asylum seekers when our current population is already struggling? How many asylum seekers are the EU forcing us to accept on an annual basis? And finally, how do these "asylum seekers" qualify as such?
    I am just trying to get a better understanding of the above as I am struggling to comprehend the governments logic in accepting asylum seekers and housing them in these make shift accommodations. One such place is near my home place in rural Ireland with no proper form of transportation to accommodate these new arrivals. This was one of the factors that the UK voted for Brexit and leave the EU as many of their residents were fed up of the influx of asylum seekers and no improvement made to local services and infrastructure to accommodate this increase in population. Interested to hear others thoughts on this.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:
    Already being discussed in After Hours:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057928401

so no AH style posts please!

Trevorh4 wrote: »
    Why are we accepting asylum seekers when our current population is already struggling?

Because we signed up to an International Humanitarian convention. Ireland has agreed to provide asylum to people who have had to flee their homeland due to persecution or, more recently, war.
    How many asylum seekers are the EU forcing us to accept on an annual basis?

None. The Irish Government agreed to take additional claims in light of the mediterrainian migrations of the last few years.
    And finally, how do these "asylum seekers" qualify as such?

They are an asylum seeker if they apply for asylum. They qualify for refugee status is they meet the criteria set out in the International Protection Act, 2015.
    This was one of the factors that the UK voted for Brexit and leave the EU as many of their residents were fed up of the influx of asylum seekers and no improvement made to local services and infrastructure to accommodate this increase in population. Interested to hear others thoughts on this.

Well then they should have voted to withdraw from the United Nations rather than the E.U. if that was their reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

I have seen that the Grand Hotel in Wicklow is now being converted into a direct provisions centre for new asylum seekers entering Ireland. This is only one of several establishments which are now being converted into "short term" relief centres for new asylum seekers.
    The housing crises in Ireland is no secret with several people struggling to find rental accommodation at this moment in time. As a result, homelessness is at an all time high and is very evident throughout our bid cities and towns around Ireland. That leads me to the point of this thread. Why are we accepting asylum seekers when our current population is already struggling? How many asylum seekers are the EU forcing us to accept on an annual basis? And finally, how do these "asylum seekers" qualify as such?
    I am just trying to get a better understanding of the above as I am struggling to comprehend the governments logic in accepting asylum seekers and housing them in these make shift accommodations. One such place is near my home place in rural Ireland with no proper form of transportation to accommodate these new arrivals. This was one of the factors that the UK voted for Brexit and leave the EU as many of their residents were fed up of the influx of asylum seekers and no improvement made to local services and infrastructure to accommodate this increase in population. Interested to hear others thoughts on this.
    • Why have you connected accommodation for asylum seekers with homeslessness. I don't believe those funds would come out of the same budget?
    • Why are you using the phrase "asylum seekers" in inverted commas? Do you have any reason for this coded message other than to imply you believe their cliams to asylum are false? Do you have any prrof of this?
    • The asylum system has nothing to do with the EU. If Brexiters thought this was a reason to leave then they were lied to.
    • The direct provision centres are generally rural because they are private based so any people that closes in Dublin will reopen where the accommodation is cheaper.
    • Could you ask to change the thread title please? This is not a general discussion on "Direct provision Centres in Ireland". This is just a thread to disparage refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Trevorh4

@demfad - I feel that you are nitpicking and have misunderstood some of my above statements so please let me clarify:

Why have you connected accommodation for asylum seekers with homeslessness. I don't believe those funds would come out of the same budget?
    I was alluding to the fact that these asylum seekers are being given accommodation in an existing hotel when we have so many homeless on our streets at present. It baffles me to think that we are taking in asylum seekers when we cant even get our own house in order.

Why are you using the phrase "asylum seekers" in inverted commas? Do you have any reason for this coded message other than to imply you believe their cliams to asylum are false? Do you have any prrof of this?
    Coded message?? LOL. I put it into inverted commas as that is how these people are being referred to in various articles (I personally would say refugees).

The asylum system has nothing to do with the EU. If Brexiters thought this was a reason to leave then they were lied to.
    Well it was quite evident that the "brexiters" were misled throughout that campaign and it is widely acknowledge amongst the British people too.

The direct provision centres are generally rural because they are private based so any people that closes in Dublin will reopen where the accommodation is cheaper.

Could you ask to change the thread title please? This is not a general discussion on "Direct provision Centres in Ireland". This is just a thread to disparage refugees.
    I dont know how to make this request and to be honest I am not bothered either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

This is just a thread to disparage refugees.

Well at least you're being honest.

Advertisement