Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EV insurance -VRT rebate/SEAI grant

• 14-11-2018 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭

Hi

One question that I've been considering when thinking about an EV:

If I buy a new EV and avail of the VRT & SEAI grant, when I go to insure my car, should I insure the value net of grants or gross?

I guess while grants are still in force making an insurance claim including VRT/SEAI would leave me in a better position than I was prior to buying the car??

But what if grants are taken away mid way through an insured year and car is stolen/written off etc? If i haven't insured those amounts then I'm out of pocket.

Appreciate this really only applies to the first year (or maybe 2) of a new cars life.

sorry if this is rambling a bit.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You’ll still get market value

• Registered Users Posts: 64,705 ✭✭✭✭unkel

With any decent comprehensive insurance policy, if your brand new car is written off during the first year, the insurance company will replace it with a brand new one (or pay you to do so)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

unkel wrote: »
    With any decent comprehensive insurance policy, if your brand new car is written off during the first year, the insurance company will replace it with a brand new one (or pay you to do so)

But don't you need to put a value in that? insurance cos usually pull all the tricks to minimise their payouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I would imagine not because really those grants don't involve Joe public. So if your 40kwh Leaf is written off then you'll either get a new Leaf or get what you paid for it. If they remove that grant/rebate there's going to be a window where you may be in trouble, but by that time the EV market should be stable enough that it's not so much of a problem (the 40kwh Leaf will never literally cost someone 43k)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

So the SEAI say they give grants to new EVs.... The revenue considers cars under 6 months old as 'new' in the VRT process. I know it would be practically impossible, but legally I wonder could you pick an ev grant in the UK and then again when you import the EV into the ROI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,705 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nope. SEAI grant in Ireland is only for brand new cars bought and registered in Ireland first. You don't get the grant, the dealer does.

Advertisement