Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's great for 3D games but really not up to it when it comes to 2D ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

The 'cube controller or the Classic?

the Difficulty is the lay out of the Buttons, ie not in the typical cruciform layout and the way the D-pad is below the left thumbstick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Have gone back to Zelda LttP on Virtual Console after an aborted start a few months ago and am just loving it.

What I'm not loving however is the Gamecube controller I'm using, I never liked the 'cube controller and think I may have to pay out for Classic.

I like to complete link to the past at least once every two years. The last time I played it through was on my psp. It certainly made the dart journey a little less boring!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The cube controller is great, if you can swing it get a Wavebird, although you lose the vibration you gain wirelessness, which is nice.
    Another thing is the release of the new Classic Controller Pro,
    http://www.electricpig.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/classic_pro_photo.jpg

and

http://www.techdigest.tv/assets_c/2009/02/wii-classic-versus-pro-thumb-300x438-80234.jpg

and lastly

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/26/get-a-grip-nintendo-reveals-wii-classic-controller-pro/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The cube controller is great, if you can swing it get a Wavebird, although you lose the vibration you gain wirelessness, which is nice.
    Another thing is the release of the new Classic Controller Pro,
    http://www.electricpig.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/classic_pro_photo.jpg

and

http://www.techdigest.tv/assets_c/2009/02/wii-classic-versus-pro-thumb-300x438-80234.jpg

and lastly

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/26/get-a-grip-nintendo-reveals-wii-classic-controller-pro/

I think MH3 comes with the classic pro in japan or it might be part of the MH3 black wii pack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

LoGiE wrote: »
    I like to complete link to the past at least once every two years. The last time I played it through was on my psp. It certainly made the dart journey a little less boring!

Am already thinking I might pick up a copy of the GBA version to play on my DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Eamo87

I just finished Sonic CD on the Sonic gems collection for the gamecube last night. I enjoyed it but I dont understand why its so highly rated. I'm interested to hear what other peoples thoughts on the game are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm in the Sonic CD is crap camp. It's the level design that I don't like. All the level are pretty much interchangeable. They are too big with far too little variety in them. In the megadrivve sonic games every level had a gameplay sections that made each level standout. In sonic CD you might as well be playing the same level except reskinned. There's also far too many levels. It just feels like a chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,284 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Argh!

I went ahead against all sense and started Super Metroid without changing the battery. (The game came with someone elses saves on the cart so I thought seeing as it was live for god knows how many years it should give at least one last play through)

Then I decided that my Snes needed to be situated somewhere else in the room. Plugged the game out, moved it all around...yep, saves gone when I turned it back on. :eek:

New batteries have since been ordered and a lesson truely learned. I have now decided to go on a battery changing spree while I'm at it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You going to get Metroid Trilogy when it's released for the Wii? It's only a couple of weeks off now, can't wait!

• Advertisement

Had a quick go of Donkey Kong Country 2 there. While I think Donkey Kong Country is an overrated game and is average at best. DKC 2 is a whole lot better it seems. Also it's one of the most impressive looking snes games I've ever seen. The first water level has some spectacular transparency and mode 7 effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    While I think Donkey Kong Country is an overrated game and is average at best.

Oh be quiet. Anyway, got Quake for the N64 and I'm just playing through the start of it now, not as nice visuals as the PC or Saturn version but it's grizzly and entertaining nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Eamo87 wrote: »
    I just finished Sonic CD on the Sonic gems collection for the gamecube last night. I enjoyed it but I dont understand why its so highly rated. I'm interested to hear what other peoples thoughts on the game are.

i feel the same, just couldnt warm to it. I would like to see Evil Metal Sonic used again though sometime...

also, Donkey Kong Country is a great game....that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Eamo87

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    i feel the same, just couldnt warm to it. I would like to see Evil Metal Sonic used again though sometime...

also, Donkey Kong Country is a great game....that is all.

I loved the first Donkey Kong Country. Got it for xmas one year. I enjoyed the sequels but I have so many great memories playing the original. The mine cart levels were great :)

It's aged pretty badly though. Most people not affected by nostalgia say the same. It's constantly coming up as a joke on the retronauts podcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

It's aged pretty badly though. Most people not affected by nostalgia say the same. It's constantly coming up as a joke on the retronauts podcast.

A lot of RARE games aged really badly. At least they were still good at the time unlike their attempts on gamecube.

**** Retronauts. The only opinion you can trust is your own. I'll allow you your own opinion on this one, but if it's influenced by them, then faff off. What, is the game supposed to look like it just came out on the 360? Of course it looks dated, it was made in the 90s for the Super Nintendo ffs. Donkey Kong Country is still an amazingly fun game and very entertaining. Nostalgia has nowt to do with my appreciation of it.

It's not that it looks dated, the level design and gameplay isn't very good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

CCCP^ wrote: »
    **** Retronauts. The only opinion you can trust is your own. I'll allow you your own opinion on this one, but if it's influenced by them, then faff off. What, is the game supposed to look like it just came out on the 360? Of course it looks dated, it was made in the 90s for the Super Nintendo ffs. Donkey Kong Country is still an amazingly fun game and very entertaining. Nostalgia has nowt to do with my appreciation of it.

Agreed. The Donkey Kong Country series produced three good platform games, specially the second and third games. The state of its graphics is irrelevant to its gameplay.

Most gamers' retrospective opinions on Rare's games on the Nintendo 64 and SNES are unreasonable. It's as though they haven't actually replayed the games to verify that the games have aged.

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Agreed. The Donkey Kong Country series produced three good platform games, specially the second and third games. The state of its graphics is irrelevant to its gameplay.

Most gamers' retrospective opinions on Rare's games on the Nintendo 64 and SNES are unreasonable. It's as though they haven't actually replayed the games to verify that the games have aged.

I didn't have a Super Nintendo as a kid, our house was Sega only. I just got a Snes recently and got DKC and cleared it earlier in the year, just before the Summer I think, so there's no rose-tinted glasses on me.

I do have some nice Elton John glasses though.

• Advertisement

Love the visuals on the DKC series, to knock those now and we may as well start doing the same to Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World, simply because they were all superceded in time by further games that had "better" graphics.
    Not the case, each game was excellent in it's day, still excellent now and couldn't be bettered by replacing the original visuals with up-to-date ones, in fact a lot of the charm is lost with messing with them.
    DKC established the Donkey Kong brand for the rest of the decade and into the next after the brand had faded to obscurity with DK, DKjr and DK3, the games with the DK brand since, DKRacing, DK Jungle Beat and the rest all rely on the visual flair that was introduced by Rare in the DKC series.
    So, give the games a break, yes?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, give the games a break, yes?

A good game is a good game no matter how dated the visuals. DKC just isn't that good a game compared to the other quality platformers of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

Ah you can't say bad things about DKC, alright 2 probably is a better game but DKC got the snowball rolling, Plenty of diversity in it and I think to this day it still plays very nicely.

There is a feeling that they tried to bite off more than they could chew with the first one and the graphics aren't as good as they should have been but its still a very pretty game compared to most just in comparison to 2 and 3 its graphics do suffer slightly more ageing.

Well it's not altogether terrible but it's not great either. Above average but there's no way in hell I'd rank it up with Sonic, Mario, yoshis's island, do re mi, etc. It was an uninspired game that looked great at the time (it looks awful and plasticy now with the exception of some excellent snes effects). There really isn't any diversity either. Bosses are repeated and aren't much different from each other. Most levels play the same with only the water, dark and mine cart levels offering anything that stands out from the rest. It's fun but there are far better games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I have fond memories playing DKC and In my opinion it was a great game. Ok it was no Mario World in the playability stakes but it was entertaining and the graphics were ground breaking in 1994. I dont's believe Rare bit of more then they could chew. They where pushing a console to it's limits , no other game at the time looked like it.

I'd certainly rank it ahead of Sonic, especially the first one, never liked it, the series got better but the original Megadrive game was over rated imho.
    DKC took a the side scrolling Nintendo blueprint and made a nice, if simple, platformer out of it and was great fun, the games Retro mentions are, by and large, iconic 16bit games, truely compared to the majority of platformers on the market DKC was better, certainly better than average, given we were stuck with Bubsy and Plok!

There was a real effort on the part of the 16bit players to bring the next gen to current gen machines, Uniracers, DKC, VirtuaRacing, Yoshis Island, StarFox, Stunt Race FX, Doom and even the likes of Red zone on the Megadrive, all pushing the respective consoles further and further, not always to everyones taste, certainly, but impressive none the less, given the sprite based limitations of each system.

Pity we don't see such dedication from devs now.

Isn't Plok! meant to be rather good though?

Isn't Plok! meant to be rather good though?

Ya Plok (from memory of playing it when it came out) was quite a good game, can't remember much else about it.

I'm afraid to say it due to my name but were sonics ever any good? I know nostalgia is going to give you a twisted view of them, but all my friends had segas so I practically grew up with sonic too. Where is the diversity in levels in that game? sure they all look different but aren't they just pretty much the same loops and running around and what not? at least with DKC you had the cart levels, swimming levels and the bonus levels.

I think DKC was in the upper quartile of its genre, it does probably get more respect than it deserves but hey thats nostalgia! (thats why ye guys keep raving about sonic :eek:)

I like the first Sonic alot. Not just because it was the Sega icon, but it was fun to play. There wasn't exactly depth to it's gameplay, but it was bright and colorful, and I loved building up speed in those loop-the-loops. No part of the game felt half-arsed, it had decent production values.

I remember clearing that game about 6 or 7 years after getting it with the MD. Accomplishment washed over me in an awesome wave, I just wish I could put stuff like that on a CV.

• Advertisement

Ya I know what you mean, for me that moment was F-Zero, still haven't finished star-fox for some reason :confused:

Advertisement