Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

conno16 wrote: »
    dont blow the load just yet gorfield
    1 swallow etc
    overall the field was very average
    and its so early in the year most people have yet to even start practicing properly
    from poulters twitter account i see he actually only played 1 round prior to this weekend

great for the lad though, i'd say he could buy a whole chipper down in tullamore with that 75k

It was a very strong field, you won’t see many stronger on the European tour this year.
    So was he the only one practicing properly??? So he had a headstart?

have you stuck some wedge down on him for a major this year?

I'd say the auld wans down in georgia that stitch that green jacket together are having sleepless nights already :D

I don’t think anyone is backing him for a major, but you’d never know, in 10 or 15 years he could well win one. He has the talent.

if big shane lowry keeps burning up the field like he did this weekend surely the invite committee will have to extend an offer to the bloke from offaly?
    particularly now in light of tigers probable absense from the field
    they need a big personality to fill his shoes after all
    i cant wait til shane and john daly hook up

why him and John Daly conno?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

dont blow the load just yet gorfield
    1 swallow etc
    overall the field was very average
    and its so early in the year most people have yet to even start practicing properly
    from poulters twitter account i see he actually only played 1 round prior to this weekend

great for the lad though, i'd say he could buy a whole chipper down in tullamore with that 75k

Yes one swallow :rolleyes: He's done very well if you ask me, considering he was thrown in at the deep end of the professional game. I'm sure he felt he had something to prove to people (like yourself) who maybe thought he didn't deserve to be a european tour member, which no doubt added to the pressure any normal professional experiences.

I followed him for quite a few holes on Saturday and I was very impressed. Not only his ball striking but also his short game was pretty impressive. He made two bogeys all week, which to me shows how hard he has worked over the the last few months.

What do mean it's too early for most people to start practicing? I doubt very much that these guys took very much time off at all. Maybe Poulter did play only one round of golf during his time off but I'm sure he was hitting golf balls in some shape or form most days. Also, you must remember the winter break is not that long these days.

Did you even watch the golf? It was, as always, an exceptional standard. At the start of the week, the majority of the players were saying that the winning score would not be close to Casey's winning score last year due to the way they set up the course this year (narrowed the fairways a bit, not much though, but the main thing being the rough). However, in the end the scoring was very good indeed.

Also, you saying that the field was average is way off the mark. Why do you think Lowry jumped into the top 100 in the world? This was due to such a good performance in a field of this calibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

I don’t think anyone is backing him for a major, but you’d never know, in 10 or 15 years he could well win one. He has the talent.

in 10 or 15 years ffs???
    unless he grafts one out in the next five years i'd imagine he'll be concentrating on the irish opens of this world
    personally i cant see it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

in 10 or 15 years ffs???
    unless he grafts one out in the next five years i'd imagine he'll be concentrating on the irish opens of this world

I can't believe I once jumped to your defence. You're obviously a WUM. Why people would dignify your tripe with an answer, is actually beyond me.

Go back to the Sesame Street forum FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I won't say we told you so... :D

Licksy wrote: »
    I won't say we told you so... :D

I feel like this young lady did, obviously after she seen the pic!!

i'm entitled to my opinion and personally i dont see anything in shane lowry to suggest he has the ability to make an impression on world golf
    hes probably very determined and all that, good luck to him
    squeezing into a ryder cup sometime over the next 6/7 years will prob be his career highlight

in 10 or 15 years ffs???

What’s wrong with it being in 10 or 15 years? That’s when he’ll probably be at his peak as a golfer, like Harrington is now.

i'm entitled to my opinion and personally i dont see anything in shane lowry to suggest he has the ability to make an impression on world golf
    squeezing into a ryder cup sometime over the next 6/7 years will prob be his career highlight

What is there to suggest he DOESN’T have the ability? He’s in the top 100 in the world, only 8 months as a pro. He’s won a European tour event, come 4th in another.

Who knows how good he’ll be, but you’re writing him off based on absolutely nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    I can't believe I once jumped to your defence

It doesn’t take long to realise that a Leopard doesn’t change its spots....especially where Conno is commenting or summarising his thoughts

• Advertisement

Of course you are entitled to your opinion... sometimes I've defended your opinion on here and other times I've denied your "right" to have your say here too.
    I'm afraid he's already made an impression in world golf whether you think he has or not. That's a fact and not opinion... that's based on results (amateur record included).
    I aslo would argue that making a ryder cup team in itself (like you think he might) is making an impression?

I'd actually fight bloody hard to ensure that you and others are entitled to express their opinion, but that's not the issue. It's the manner in which your opinion is expressed, is the issue.

You are obviously out to wind up people, in the most obvious manner you can. You have no reason to attack Shane Lowry, as what he has done over the past 8/9 months is the stuff of dreams to be honest, and you actually know that. What belittles your opinion, is your silly attempts at trolling ala comments on his weight (when he has obviously improved his fitness immensely) and your inability to back up your comments when called upon.

Actually, I've just found my first person to put on the ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Why are so many people predicting his demise. If you don't support him, why would you give a ****? I think its typical Irish begrudgery.

I think its great that he has done so well, & I predict he will continue to do well... Best of luck to him. Just let him get on with it & be supportive.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Why are so many people predicting his demise. If you don't support him, why would you give a ****? I think its typical Irish begrudgery.

I think its great that he has done so well, & I predict he will continue to do well... Best of luck to him. Just let him get on with it & be supportive.

I don't think there are that many that are predicting his demise but I don't live in the Country at the moment so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Having said that, I do agree with what you said, it is typical Irish begrudergy from the few that are knocking him before he's properly got started.

I feel McIlroy's success has a lot to do with people's views on Shane. Many appear to be expecting similar things from Shane; however people must realise that Rory is an exception IMO. People with his talent don't come along every day, actually make that decade. He is not going to progress as fast as Rory and more than likely not going to be as successful as Rory will, but I for one think he has a very good career ahead of him.

And Conno, would you consider Paul McGinley as having a successful professional career?

Afterall, he only won a few european tournaments, played in what three ryder cups and a few world golf championchips. He didn't win a major and in fact rarely competed for one.

Do you think Shane is capable of similar results?

I'm just struggling to ascertain where you are coming from on this one.

SWAR wrote: »
    I'm just struggling to ascertain where you are coming from on this one.
    from under the bridge ;)

And Conno, would you consider Paul McGinley as having a successful professional career?

Do you think Shane is capable of similar results?

mcginley is a journeyman in world golf terms
    i doubt shane lowry will match his record, but the comparison is good
    big shane will no doubt be in the hunt every now and then, will maybe even win another irish open.. but thats what we're talking about here realistically
    his short game for example is still rather poor in my opinion
    he'll always be relatively accurate off the tee but that everyone knows you dont win many comps without a consistently good game from 125 yards in

lets hope for another rainy weekend in baltray later this year so he can prove me wrong again
    i have nothing against lowry but if he was english or scottish, we'd be scaping the schadenfreude off this thread
    c'mon offally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

What I liked about Shane was he went something like 4 under for his last 7 or eight holes. That shows a bit of mettle. On top of that his putting was exceptional, lets face it thats where the money and wins come from. I would say he's a much better putter than Rory, which in the long term may get him more wins.

Also being a lad from Offaly he'll likely have a bit more bottle for the big occasion than most.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Top 100 so soon is impressive, plenty of players never get near there in their career but still make a good living in the game.
    I was surprised the ranking were updated today with the Bob Hope still to be completed. One thing is sure that he's in a great postion to creep up the rankings further as at the moment he has no ranking points to defend.
    Top 50 this year maybe a big ask for spots in the 3 bigger majors but the USPGA usually give the top 100 an invite.
    Would need another similar finish to this week to threaten a place at the Accenture Match Play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

big shane will no doubt be in the hunt every now and then, will maybe even win another irish open.. but thats what we're talking about here realistically
    he'll always be relatively accurate off the tee but that everyone knows you dont win many comps without a consistently good game from 125 yards in

lets hope for another rainy weekend in baltray later this year so he can prove me wrong again
    i have nothing against lowry but if he was english or scottish, we'd be scaping the schadenfreude off this thread
    c'mon offally!

If you really were a follower of Irish golf you'd know it's in Killarney :rolleyes:

c'mon offally!

Conno, if you were watching the golf over the weekend, you may have noticed that Shane's short game is actually quite good. Yes it was only one tournament and sure, there is room for improvement, but surely you must agree that he is capable of improving that area of his game even further?

Also, if McGinley is considered by you as being a "journeyman" professional, what would you consider the likes of say Damien McGrane? Both his and McGinley's careers are very different in terms of achievements, as I'm sure you will agree. My point is that your viewpoint of a "journeyman" is very much skewed IMO. How you can consider Paul McGinley who (off the top of my head) has won 3 tour events (I think) including the end of year championchip in Valderama, played in numerous golf championchips, meaning he was in the top 50 / 64 in the world for a sustained period of time, played in three successful Ryder Cup teams and won the world cup for his country (not huge but certainly a more prestiguous tournament when both he and Harrington won it).

Anyway, I won't derail the thread by talking about McGinley or McGrane anymore; however I doubt people would be of a similar opinion to yourself were Shane from England or Scotland. I do think there would obviously be less hype on boards.ie, he is Irish afterall so it's natural that people are talking about him, but I can't help feeling that you would be less critical of him were he from England or Scotland.

Anyway, let's hope he proves you wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

if big shane lowry keeps burning up the field like he did this weekend surely the invite committee will have to extend an offer to the bloke from offaly?
    particularly now in light of tigers probable absense from the field
    they need a big personality to fill his shoes after all
    i cant wait til shane and john daly hook up

What's your point? Woods not being there doesn't mean they have to hire a 3 ring circus to keep the interest up. And what's with the Daly reference? Please tell me its not some schoolboy "size" gag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

DONT FEED THE TROLL..........................................

• Registered Users Posts: 15 The Ball boy

Conno, if you were watching the golf over the weekend, you may have noticed that Shane's short game is actually quite good. Yes it was only one tournament and sure, there is room for improvement, but surely you must agree that he is capable of improving that area of his game even further?

Also, if McGinley is considered by you as being a "journeyman" professional, what would you consider the likes of say Damien McGrane? Both his and McGinley's careers are very different in terms of achievements, as I'm sure you will agree. My point is that your viewpoint of a "journeyman" is very much skewed IMO. How you can consider Paul McGinley who (off the top of my head) has won 3 tour events (I think) including the end of year championchip in Valderama, played in numerous golf championchips, meaning he was in the top 50 / 64 in the world for a sustained period of time, played in three successful Ryder Cup teams and won the world cup for his country (not huge but certainly a more prestiguous tournament when both he and Harrington won it).

Anyway, I won't derail the thread by talking about McGinley or McGrane anymore; however I doubt people would be of a similar opinion to yourself were Shane from England or Scotland. I do think there would obviously be less hype on boards.ie, he is Irish afterall so it's natural that people are talking about him, but I can't help feeling that you would be less critical of him were he from England or Scotland.

Anyway, let's hope he proves you wrong.

Paul McGinley a journeyman, give me a break. He has won in excess of €10m in prize money alone, finished 3rd in the order of merit in 2005, contended in majors, has a number of Ryder Cup caps, won a World Cup and is a multiple winner on tour. You are having a laugh or you don't have clue....I hope for your sake you're being a smart arse!!

Shane Lowry is an outstanding prospect and we should be proud of him and get behind him. He is 22 years of age, was ranked as no. 1 amateur in world and has won one European Tour event, finsihed 3rd in a field with 8 of the top 14 players in the world and is now ranked the 89th best golfer in the world.

I hate this trait in Ireland where once someone acheives any kind of success we try to bring them down.

Paul McGinley a journeyman, give me a break. He has won in excess of €10m in prize money alone, finished 3rd in the order of merit in 2005, contended in majors, has a number of Ryder Cup caps, won a World Cup and is a multiple winner on tour. You are having a laugh or you don't have clue....I hope for your sake you're being a smart arse!!

Shane Lowry is an outstanding prospect and we should be proud of him and get behind him. He is 22 years of age, was ranked as no. 1 amateur in world and has won one European Tour event, finsihed 3rd in a field with 8 of the top 14 players in the world and is now ranked the 89th best golfer in the world.

I hate this trait in Ireland where once someone acheives any kind of success we try to bring them down.

If by quoting my post, I assume you are responding to something I posted.

If so, I suggest you read over my posts once again and you will see that I was saying the exact opposite of what you appear to think I was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Top 100 so soon is impressive, plenty of players never get near there in their career but still make a good living in the game.
    I was surprised the ranking were updated today with the Bob Hope still to be completed. One thing is sure that he's in a great postion to creep up the rankings further as at the moment he has no ranking points to defend.
    Top 50 this year maybe a big ask for spots in the 3 bigger majors but the USPGA usually give the top 100 an invite.
    Would need another similar finish to this week to threaten a place at the Accenture Match Play.

He has a good chance of getting to the top 50 this year. The rankings are based on a minimum 40 tournaments, so he can play until about August before he has actually played the minimum 40. So his rankings should improve even with moderate form. It would take something special to make the Masters, but the us and brit open are not impossible.

I get the impression he's a bit streaky,in that he has the occasional brilliant round and then can have a week where he shoots 73s. But that sort of stuff wins you tournaments - the guy who shoots 70 every week won't win many, but the guy who shoots the odd 65, particularly on a sunday, will win a few. And winning the odd one is worth more then being consistently ok.

On a related note my prediction for McIlroy is that he could make the top 5 this year, because his ranking is actually being held back by his first year on tour where he didn't do much in the way of earnings until about august 2008 or so.

In fact Lowry's start to his pro career is probably better than McIlroy's.
    Considering everyone was hearing about McIlroy the boy wonder since he was about 13, it makes you see just how well Lowry is doing.

He can eat all the chips he wants as far as I'm concerned. Fitness in golf is well overrated. If tom watson on two artificial hips can come within a whisker of winning the british open, and Angel Cabrera, another guy who's no stranger to a fish supper by the looks if it, can win the masters then fitness can't be the be all and end all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

durkadurka wrote: »
    He has a good chance of getting to the top 50 this year. The rankings are based on a minimum 40 tournaments, so he can play until about August before he has actually played the minimum 40. So his rankings should improve even with moderate form. It would take something special to make the Masters, but the us and brit open are not impossible.

I get the impression he's a bit streaky,in that he has the occasional brilliant round and then can have a week where he shoots 73s. But that sort of stuff wins you tournaments - the guy who shoots 70 every week won't win many, but the guy who shoots the odd 65, particularly on a sunday, will win a few. And winning the odd one is worth more then being consistently ok.

On a related note my prediction for McIlroy is that he could make the top 5 this year, because his ranking is actually being held back by his first year on tour where he didn't do much in the way of earnings until about august 2008 or so.

In fact Lowry's start to his pro career is probably better than McIlroy's.
    Considering everyone was hearing about McIlroy the boy wonder since he was about 13, it makes you see just how well Lowry is doing.

He can eat all the chips he wants as far as I'm concerned. Fitness in golf is well overrated. If tom watson on two artificial hips can come within a whisker of winning the british open, and Angel Cabrera, another guy who's no stranger to a fish supper by the looks if it, can win the masters then fitness can't be the be all and end all.

I couldn't agree more with all of your sentiments.

Fitness is something that can help but its not a necessity.
    Rory is hardly ripped. Shane's father and uncles were all fabulous athletes, extremely strong and powerful. Give him a few years and I'm sure you'll see a very strong man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Daithio9

gorfield wrote: »
    Anyone seen conno16??? :(
    A wealth of useful information as always in your posts conno.......average field?? Garcia,stenson,karlsson,kaymer,casey,mcilroy,poulter, all 3 hansens,kim, villegas, ogilvy, noren, clarke, mcdowell, jiminez, westwood.....to name but a few.....indeed an average field.
    Your knowledge amazes me........you know the criteria for playing the masters? Looks like it alright.......
    DONT FEED THE TROLL..........................................
    Perhaps you should practice what you preach.
    Also big lol @ trying to close the gate after the horse has bolted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

Daithio9 wrote: »
    Perhaps you should pratice what your preach.
    Also big lol @ trying to close the gate after the horse has bolted.

You are quite useful to this thread yourself arnt you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ha!!!!

shane lowry played with my dad a few weeks before he won the irish open, it was out in lee valley in cork. my dad was impressed and he told me about him, he told me this kid is going some where. :D and he was right. :D i think he pretty much has his card for next year already

• Advertisement

Actually he has his card for next year (regardless of how he does this year) based on his Irish Open win.

Advertisement