Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The DP World Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Kevin Phelan not doing too bad either! First event as a pro isn't it?

Yeah played Walker Cup last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Delighted for Damian McGrane - great round yesterday. Hope he kicks on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭abff

Does anyone know why the cut was set at -1? I thought that the cut for Europeantour events was top 65 and ties. There were 65 players at -2 and better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

abff wrote: »
    65 players at -1 and better.

you mean at -2 and better, but I don't know what the reason is.

you mean at -2 and better, but I don't know what the reason is.

Yes, that's what I meant. I'll edit it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

am only getting to watch the hi-lights now - how in gods name did Lowrys putt not stay in on the 13th?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Does anyone know why the cut was set at -1? I thought that the cut for Europeantour events was top 65 and ties. There were 65 players at -2 and better.

Not looking at the leaderboard but is there an amateur at -2 or better? Apparently they don't count when working out the cut! I only learned that this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Kevin Phelan not doing too bad either! First event as a pro isn't it?

yep, made the cut on the number. really good achievement

Martin567 wrote: »
    Not looking at the leaderboard but is there an amateur at -2 or better? Apparently they don't count when working out the cut! I only learned that this year.

Yes, there is an amateur, Rowin Caron on -2. I thought the rule about not counting amateurs only applied on the PGA Tour. Learned something new today!

It's good news for Kevin Phelan and David Higgins.

Another good week for Damian McGrane if he keeps going like this - great to see.

• Advertisement

Go Miguel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Jimenez may beat his own record as oldest winner on tour....some man!

Just bogeyed:(

McGrane finished joint third, another nice cheque. Not a good day for Lowry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

1st play-off hole: Luiten has the honour and straight down the middle while Jimenez goes right off the tee and faced with a blind second from 172 metres uphill into the wind. The Spaniard comes up just short and right of the green. Luiten from 164 finds the middle of the green. Jimenez putts up and has a testing par putt from six or seven feet. Luiten has putt to win but it pulls up a good three feet short. Jimenez misses and Luiten strokes it in to the delight of the home crowd. Luiten takes the title. Just second Dutchman to win KLM Open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Very costly bogey on 17 for McGrane, only for that it would have been a 3rd on his own which would have earned him significantly more. You could tell from the frustration on his face.

Still he got €85,000 for his efforts, up to 71 in the race to Dubai. A few more good events and he'll be in the top 60. Very good performance.

Must admit I've really enjoyed watching the KLM Open, great for the crowd when a home player wins. Bar the rain a very good European Tour event. Hopefully this win will help Dutch golf.

David Duval, now ranked 1550 in the world, is about to tee it up at the Italian Open. Never really liked him back in the day, but I'd still like to see him revive his career.

David Duval, now ranked 1550 in the world, is about to tee it up at the Italian Open. Never really liked him back in the day, but I'd still like to see him revive his career.

Remember a few years ago he came 2nd in the U.S Open, didnt even keep his card that year as it was his only top 50 all season :eek:

I see Goosen is teeing up as well, now outside the top 200 in the rankings.

Always a fan of Duval since he made the eagle on the last hole of The Bob Hope Classic to shoot 59 and win by 1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

He got vertigo a few years ago I think which he has never come back from

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

David Higgins has had 2 great rounds so far, I'm hoping he can continue during the weekend and get a top 5 finish if not a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Ben1977 wrote: »
    David Higgins has had 2 great rounds so far, I'm hoping he can continue during the weekend and get a top 5 finish if not a win.

Simon Thornton one off the lead as well.

Even better if they use 2 balls tomorrow they should be off in the second last group together. Take the pressure off a bit.

Even better if they use 2 balls tomorrow they should be off in the second last group together. Take the pressure off a bit.

That would have been nice. Unfortunately, they're playing in 3 balls tomorrow.

I was sorry to see that Peter Lawrie missed the cut. He's had a bad run of late and is in danger of losing his card if he doesn't turn things around over the next few weeks.

Balls a tough draw both so, one with the home fav and the other with the Colsaerts.

I was sorry to see that Peter Lawrie missed the cut. He's had a bad run of late and is in danger of losing his card if he doesn't turn things around over the next few weeks.

He'll keep his card just about even if he doesn't make anymore cuts but for safety he needs to do something next week in Scotland or the week after in Portugal, another 30k and he will be rightly! Met him a few times in Superquinn Castlekock, nice fella.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/players/playerid=1788/results/index.html

Balls a tough draw both so, one with the home fav and the other with the Colsaerts.

Very interesting day ahead. Really hope Sky show a decent amount of coverage as I'd really like to see tomorrows play from an Irish perspective.

Higgins - m'lad keep your head tomorrow and be right in contention and if you get second (166,000) that's your tour card guaranteed for next year. Will keep the bank manager, not to mention the wife, off your back. Funny how just one event can completely change your season.

Thornton - joint leader in the last goup of the day out with the local hero. Already won on tour in a lowly co-sanctioned event with little prize money or media attention but tomorrow will be a different story with the ten thick home crowd wanting to see their boy and making noise and walking away once he's taking his shot to get into a good position for his next. Simon will have to deal with that but should be playing with confidence after two great rounds under his belt and his card for next year safe.

Last thing to note isn't it great to see two Irish flags at the top of the leaderboard, doesn't happen too often these days.

He'll keep his card just about even if he doesn't make anymore cuts but for safety he needs to do something next week in Scotland or the week after in Portugal, another 30k and he will be rightly! Met him a few times in Superquinn Castlekock, nice fella.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/players/playerid=1788/results/index.html

I think it's only top 110 and he was 106 before this week's tournament, so I think he is in real danger of losing his card if he keeps missing cuts. I hope that doesn't happen because, as you say, he seems like a really nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Nice start from Thornton, birdie on the first. Hope he does it and Higgins gets a good finish like a top 5.

Higgins 10 under now just a shot behind with 13 holes played, incredibly bunched leaderboard though, 4 shots separating about 30 players!

Edit -11 under now! Tied for lead, go on David

• Advertisement

Dropped shot at 16. unfortunately. Unlucky to find the bunker off the tee, played a good bunker shot to around 4 feet and narrowly missed the putt. Fingers crossed for the last two holes.

Advertisement