Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Still a weak argument, did they tell him he couldn't have a jagerbomb until he signed the deal or something!

If I could sue people for my own naivety, I'd be a rich man.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Still a weak argument, did they tell him he couldn't have a jagerbomb until he signed the deal or something!

If I could sue people for my own naivety, I'd be a rich man.

As odd as it sounds , a contract can be invalid if drunk.

But was done in a solicitors office, so - all that would be well covered. Anyway all speculation - but there are so many ways a contract can be invalidated - a good enough legal team will give it a craic.

Where is The Lawman here :)

Other reasons that the case could be based on - sorry haven't a clue - but taking the statement as a clue.

Anyway - maybe we should get back to golf.

Undue influence is a type of improper persuasion that causes a person to enter an unfair transaction. Undue influence is often defined as unfair persuasion by a person who, because of his or her relation to the victim, is justifiably assumed by the victim to be one who will not act in a manner that is inconsistent with the victim's welfare.
    The defense of misrepresentation focuses on dishonesty in bargaining. A misrepresentation may be: 1) a false statement of fact, 2) the deliberate withholding of information which a party has a duty to disclose, or 3) an action that conceals a fact (for example, painting over water damage when selling a house).
    - See more at: http://smallbusiness.findlaw.com/business-contracts-forms/will-your-contract-be-enforced-under-the-law.html#sthash.esKUeocx.dpuf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

None of us know the exact finer details of this case but I'd imagine Rory had a host of big wigs check this all out to see if he could jump ship without a come back.

I'd be stunned if he hasn't made this move with great confidence he is in the right on the advice of these advisors.

ForeRight wrote: »
    None of us know the exact finer details of this case but I'd imagine Rory had a host of big wigs check this all out to see if he could jump ship without a come back.

I'd be stunned if he hasn't made this move with great confidence he is in the right on the advice of these advisors.

Exactly - he feels he has grounds and his legal team feel he has grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Can someone fill me in on the rumours.

• Advertisement

ForeRight wrote: »

A solicitor is the only person that can legally defend your right to money and then legally take it all from you in fees :)

I'm sure he did have a host of big wigs and I'm certain they would have persuaded him he had an excellent chance... Why wouldn't they, it's in their interest. Win win for them.

Fair enough, we don't know the details, but from what I can see, RMI's argument is based that fees were excessive and the contract was signed without due care being given by Rory.
    Sorry Rory, that's common sense.

I'd love to find out if this is in fact Rory's decision or if someone at Rory Mc International is behind all this.
    I'm not sure a lad in his mid 20's would wish to have a court case over his head, against a former friend, for an amount that is a relatively insignificant amount of his total wealth, at a time when he's plenty more to be worrying about.

Maybe in 5 years time, his next agent will sue RMI and the legal team for taking this action after giving him bad advice ;)

A big factor for me is - would anybody ever want a friend earning money from their earnings. Particularly when you are in the same game.

Hindsight is great - but just feels wrong for a friend to be in on your crust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I'm sure he did have a host of big wigs and I'm certain they would have persuaded him he had an excellent chance... Why wouldn't they, it's in their interest. Win win for them.

There will be no winners in this apart from solicitors/ barristers.

A big factor for me is - would anybody ever want a friend earning money from their earnings. Particularly when you are in the same game.

Hindsight is great - but just feels wrong for a friend to be in on your crust.

Doesn't Westwood own part of ISM so whatever about friends earning money off you you certainly don't want people you supposedly don't like earning off you!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dero123

TRS30 wrote: »
    Doesn't Westwood own part of ISM so whatever about friends earning money off you you certainly don't want people you supposedly don't like earning off you!

Yes that is correct, one of the reasons they fell out is because McIlroy didn't know Westwood was a shareholder, when he did he left ISM pretty much straight away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Panrich

It doesn't read well that he got his money back from the childrens charity whatever the rights and wrongs of it.

Dero123 wrote: »
    Yes that is correct, one of the reasons they fell out is because McIlroy didn't know Westwood was a shareholder, when he did he left ISM pretty much straight away

I know it is all guess work here.

But - you can sort of understand Rory wanting to start up his own company. All well and good these older senior lads looking after the golden boy. But when they are in the pot - and you are bigger than all of them put together. You can understand his logic. Even if he is wrong.

When you think about it - Chubby - Westwood - Clarke - and all due respects McDowell. Rory is on another planet to them all.

I was surprised he didn't sign for one of the major American agents when he moved on.

Panrich wrote: »
    It doesn't read well that he got his money back from the childrens charity whatever the rights and wrongs of it.

Doesn't - but charity is a personal thing. It could have been a point of principle.

It is outrageous if somebody gave your money to charity - without you knowing. If true.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jr22

denisoc16 wrote: »
    Not in a public forum I'd say Ricky. Just to be on the safe side. But if it's the same rumour that I've heard then it's not actually about Rory. More someone close to him.

Ah jaysus lads, ye're killing me. frown.png

An auld PM wouldn't go astray, I nearly broke google there trying to figure out what ye're on about.

I can't be this close to a rumour and not hear it, I'll not sleep pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Doesn't - but charity is a personal thing. It could have been a point of principle.

It is outrageous if somebody gave your money to charity - without you knowing. If true.

He's a UNICEF Ambassador though? Maybe it was a break down in communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Other points of dispute will focus on disintegration of the relationship between Conor Ridge and Horizon’s former Director of Strategy, Mr Donal Casey, who is now the CEO of Rory McIlroy’s newly constituted management arm, Rory McIlroy Incorporated. The dispute relates to the size of a “success fee” claimed by Mr Casey on completion of the Nike deal.

This was strange I thought, McIlroy is challenging the amount of the success fee claimed by Donal Casey and now he is a part of Rory McIlroy Incorporated?

ssbob wrote: »
    This was strange I thought, McIlroy is challenging the amount of the success fee claimed by Donal Casey and now he is a part of Rory McIlroy Incorporated?

I assume it was supposed to mean the dispute between Ridge and Casey was due to the fee Casey was claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭RonnieL

SnowDrifts wrote: »

Excellent article alright. It certainly looks like it's going to be a messy fight. The point at the end of the article regarding the Ryder Cup is an interesting one. You might add Shane Lowry to the "fighting irish" as well, considering his retweet yesterday of a tweet by Peter Alliss reading "I see McIlroy is suing his former agent. Quite right m'lad, imagine signing an agreement and sticking to the terms, I'd sue too y'know". Looks like he subsequently deleted the retweet, presumeably after a call from Conor Ridge!

RonnieL wrote: »
    Excellent article alright. It certainly looks like it's going to be a messy fight. The point at the end of the article regarding the Ryder Cup is an interesting one. You might add Shane Lowry to the "fighting irish" as well, considering his retweet yesterday of a tweet by Peter Alliss reading "I see McIlroy is suing his former agent. Quote right m'lad, imagine signing an agreement and sticking to the terms, I'd sue too y'know". Looks like he subsequently deleted the retweet, presumeably after a call from Conor Ridge!

Strange that Shane would get involved. I would have thought it best for him and McDowell to keep the head down and say and do nothing.

• Advertisement

Strange that Shane would get involved. I would have thought it best for him and McDowell to keep the head down and say and do nothing.

Shane isn't exactly top of the class in media training :D
    Which is refreshing to see, but he will get himself the odd slap on the wrist.

Shane isn't exactly top of the class in media training :D
    Which is refreshing to see, but he will get himself the odd slap on the wrist.

media training= common sense.

However for all we know, he might have rang/text Rory before and had a laugh about it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

newport2 wrote: »
    Heard rumours about off course stuff that sounds like an awful position for him to be in if it they're true. If they are, I'd say they're a large factor. So let's go with off-course events.

Yep, I heard that a few months back from a caddy pro's cousin and if they are true then if it was me I'd be gutted being honest, not worth repeating on an internet golf forum.
    Off-course events, simple as...

slave1 wrote: »
    Yep, I heard that a few months back from a caddy pro's cousin and if they are true then if it was me I'd be gutted being honest, not worth repeating on an internet golf forum.
    Off-course events, simple as...

Not even a hint?!

Lets keep rumours off the forum please.

Lets keep rumours off the forum please.

Isn't most of this thread rumours and speculation?

Isn't most of this thread rumours and speculation?

I think most of this thread is a discussion on the court action taken from various news sources around the net, everything that has been said in relation to this I have seen written on different legitimate websites.

What I don't want is people spreading rumours about what may or may not be going on in his personal life or otherwise unless this can be verified with legitimate sources and links to such.

I think most of this thread is a discussion on the court action taken from various news sources around the net, everything that has been said in relation to this I have seen written on different legitimate websites.

Maybe more recently since other news sources have started providing details, however point taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

I couldn't give a toss to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

RonnieL wrote: »
    Excellent article alright. It certainly looks like it's going to be a messy fight. The point at the end of the article regarding the Ryder Cup is an interesting one. You might add Shane Lowry to the "fighting irish" as well, considering his retweet yesterday of a tweet by Peter Alliss reading "I see McIlroy is suing his former agent. Quite right m'lad, imagine signing an agreement and sticking to the terms, I'd sue too y'know". Looks like he subsequently deleted the retweet, presumeably after a call from Conor Ridge!

Yeah was surprised to see that retweet from Shane. Considering himself and Rory get on, I presumed that it was a taking the pi$$ out of him gesture.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement