Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

@ aj.

But it is clear the scale of 20% has lost them their client and given them a bad name.

Perhaps. In my opinion, from what I've heard so far, Rory comes out of this a lot worse than Horizon. It also continues the pattern of him not seeming to know what he wants in any aspect of his life. He's continually making drastic changes in very important areas. I don't know how he's ever able to practice or focus on golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

In defense as well,
    If I'm a 20 year old with with tens of millions thrown at me, I'd sign pretty much anything.... I'm sure I'd be of the opinion ...WOOHOOOOO, MILLIONS ... let me sign it with this crayon immediately please !

Easy to sit here and ridicule and all that ...
    I haven't warmed at all to the guy lately to be honest ... just a bit too placid, and cocky ... if that makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

@ aj.

So copy and paste from the 1000 s of other contracts that every sport agency in the world has.
    Joking.

But if rory had an application process to be his agent in am.
    There is no way Horizon would be in the game at 20 %.

But all hindsight.

But it is clear the scale of 20% has lost them their client and given them a bad name.

On the contrary fixde, I honestly don't think the value has anything to do with the split...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

On the contrary fixde, I honestly don't think the value has anything to do with the split...

I know we are only shooting the breeze here in a way - only 2 or 3 know the full story - Will it be in public if in court ?

But that is what was in SIndo.

But maybe when it comes to Rory now - sadly, I have to think , ok is this p.r. or Rory now.

Do you know something BigChap - we don't ?
    Maybe you can't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I would love to discuss what I've heard fixde but I would only be restating rumour and innuendo......and we know what the mods think of that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Good piece by Colin Byrne in today's Irish Times. Very circumspect but he makes his point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

First Up wrote: »
    Good piece by Colin Byrne in today's Irish Times. Very circumspect but he makes his point.

Is it online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Apparently RMcI will receive a fee of 1 millions dollars U.S. for his appearance in the Kolon Korean Open (approx 3 times what the event winner will get).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

For Paws wrote: »
    Apparently RMcI will receive a fee of 1 millions dollars U.S. for his appearance in the Kolon Korean Open (approx 3 times what the event winner will get).

How much of that will Horizon take :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I believe he is getting $5m for 6 tournaments in Asia, not including any prize money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Soooooo....on the golf course :pac:

Real mixed bag today but a 2 under round and really in position to go and win this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Soooooo....on the golf course :pac:

Real mixed bag today but a 2 under round and really in position to go and win this.

Well he is the only player in the world's top 200 playing in the event so anything but a win is going to be poor IMO.

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Well he is the only player in the world's top 200 playing in the event so anything but a win is going to be poor IMO.

It would be embarrassing to be beaten by someone we (or he) had never heard of but its essentially a warm up event for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

More than the tournaments total purse apparently. Warm up indeed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

More than what he won last year maybe?

I know but he is mostly getting ready to start playing with the big boys, which he will be doing in China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Yeah Rory, watch out for your man Kim, he's fairly handy !

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

75 today, 10 back.

For his sake I hope its rust or the remainder of the season could be a similar story to how the year has gone so far. Still the inability to pt 4 good rounds together continues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

67 for joint second, should be interesting too see what ranking points he gets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Seems like the whole break up rumour was indeed that, a rumour.

He tweeted her just there blowing her kisses and generally being a soppy idiot after she won in Switzerland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

ForeRight wrote: »
    Seems like the whole break up rumour was indeed that, a rumour.

He tweeted her just there blowing her kisses and generally being a soppy idiot after she won in Switzerland.
    SnowDrifts wrote: »
    I tend not take with a pinch of salt articles written with only anonymous sources.

As I said earlier in the thread - just a sign of sloppy journalism using anonymous sources as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Watching the highlights, 2 stroke penalty for grounding club in the hazard for Kim, which was one of those island greens in a lake, so he grounded it as he was on like a foot or couple of feet from the edge

Dreadful markings, guy lost a boatload of cash,

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Good gritty win from Rory down under in the Australian Open. Not the greatest field of competition but he did well to overcome Adam Scott in the final pairing and to win as he was a shot behind going down the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭big_drive

Great win. Signs in past couple tournaments that he was getting there. The fact that it was a player of the calibre of Adam Scott he got the better of makes it a fine win. Plus all the home crowd would have been rooting for Scott so it shows the mental toughness to get the win in those circumstances is coming back.
    Great that 2013 won't be marked down in the record books as a winless year for Rory

Will the win have much of an effect on his world ranking? Get him up one place at least surely will it?

big_drive wrote: »
    Great win. Signs in past couple tournaments that he was getting there. The fact that it was a player of the calibre of Adam Scott he got the better of makes it a fine win. Plus all the home crowd would have been rooting for Scott so it shows the mental toughness to get the win in those circumstances is coming back.
    Great that 2013 won't be marked down in the record books as a winless year for Rory

Will the win have much of an effect on his world ranking? Get him up one place at least surely will it?

Just watched the replay. Two shot swing on 72nd is a great way to win - and a cruel way to lose. Very impressed with his game this week and his mental strength in overcoming the local hero. How good to see the sporting attitude of the crowd. So much nicer than drunk and thuggish US galleries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

First Up wrote: »
    Just watched the replay. Two shot swing on 72nd is a great way to win - and a cruel way to lose. Very impressed with his game this week and his mental strength in overcoming the local hero. How good to see the sporting attitude of the crowd. So much nicer than drunk and thuggish US galleries.

It's funny, and 1 of the commentators mentioned it, but the amount of support McIlroy was getting was astonishing. By far the most vocal were those rooting for Rory; even with all the Irish in Sydney, I thought the Aussie fans were v quiet, especially with what Scott has done this year and the last 3 wks. Maybe they feared the worst!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

first win with nike clubs to which i think is very important!

benny79 wrote: »
    first win with nike clubs to which i think is very important!

I don't think the clubs were ever the problem but for sure Nike will be happy - and relieved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

yea I know but its the monkey off his back so to speak!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement