Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I got caught for Vat by UPS on the last lot of cab parts I got from Taito in Japan.

Usefully though, they sent me a text message on the morning of delivery with a number to phone and pay up. Better than the driver arrriving to the door and you not having cash to hand.

I think you're more or less guaranteed to be caught for customs with UPS

• Registered Users Posts: 34,281 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

General rule, never ever use UPS or Fedex for importing from outside of Europe. They seem to have included import charges into their business model, they're never missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Myrddin wrote: »
    I think you're more or less guaranteed to be caught for customs with UPS

Yeah. And the vat is based on total cost of parts and delivery.
    I had no say in the choice of courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I haven't been charged on any orders yet (in saying that, I don't import much), but my cousin gets caught every time. He ordered two Street Fighter arcade sticks from America a few months apart and was charged €50 at the door each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »
    Interesting that books are exempt from VAT completely.

Amazon must have done a deal with the revenue

VAT really does make me sick, I understand taxes have to be paid but paying it on second hand goods is really taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Picked up the retron 5 from alteregotist today, thanks dude It will get great use!

Surely down the line it`ll have the ability to load roms too which would be awesome, in the mean time I'm going to buy some Megadrive games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Amazon must have done a deal with the revenue

VAT really does make me sick, I understand taxes have to be paid but paying it on second hand goods is really taking the piss.

I've recently become VAT registered. Very handy for work but also for buying stuff from the UK and Europe :)
    Wonder if I can use it on retro stuff somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Steve SI wrote: »
    I've recently become VAT registered. Very handy for work but also for buying stuff from the UK and Europe :)

Guy i bought my pinball off was trying to get the whole +VAT thing off me. I could have claimed it back through a friend but all it takes is someone to have a little nosey and big trouble then.

I instead went for the wad of cash approach for a price that includes the vat.

He was an arcade owner so I understand they have to cover their arses when it comes to that stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just picked up Battalion Wars 2 for €2.50 in CEX.
    Also got lucky and picked up the hard to find Puzzle Bobble Galaxy for the DS for €12. This is a good find as the Jap original is compatible with the Taito paddle controller, although this isn't indicated in the manual. Supposed to be cool though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just picked up Battalion Wars 2 for €2.50 in CEX.
    Also got lucky and picked up the hard to find Puzzle Bobble Galaxy for the DS for €12. This is a good find as the Jap original is compatible with the Taito paddle controller, although this isn't indicated in the manual. Supposed to be cool though.

Snip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Hey, i thought we iz all homies here!

You my man cida!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Steve SI wrote: »

being VAT registered is great for buying stuff from the UK and getting VAT off at payment, I've often just given vat numbers from any old receipts out when I've registered for sites lol, the companies don't usually care as its only to cover their arses for not charging VAT

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Got these over the weekend. Happy to get Deadly creatures as I've been after it for a while

60707FD6-D045-4516-BD24-2AE6CA46150D_zpswxeykwgw.jpg

Also, unrelated, but I didn't realise how cheap boxsets are in cex so picked these up for €4/5 each. I'll pick up the other seasons as I come across them.

7DC46D45-C830-4BB1-BBC9-0A4307AD73B3_zpsseoopxp6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Got this last week for €30 on adverts. Immaculate condition. Got my first go of it tonight. Played gran turismo 4 for hours. My god it's good. Might get Toca looks good for ps2. Gran turismo, Laguna seca is enough for now though.

Only thing I'd like to get if I can get a cheap solution is getting it to work with 360 for Forza 4 as I don't own a ps3. Xcm seems a bit expensive but a solution none the less. Maybe a regular ps3 to 360 cheap connector from dealextreme. About a tender. Probably try that first tbh. Anyway I digress here's a pic of my new logitech gt wheel.

Just bought one from ebay out of curiosity. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/to-for-XBOX-360-PS-3-PS-2-PC-USB-Universal-Controller-Adapter-Converter-Mayflash-/151322540163?pt=US_Video_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item233b86b883

09852c0f56cf51a5561989e37afd109b.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Got a Wii U Lego City with Mario Kart (+free download game), Zelda + Sonic Racing.. well, my Wife did.. I mean Will.. on Friday for her Birthday.... :pac:

Master of the Universe

:pac:

Homer_bowlingball.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

haha exactly what i was thinking. Though she will love it in fairness, she has wanted one for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

o6M82.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

5 new games for my PS3
    Valkyrie Chronicles, Lollypop Chainsaw and Siren Blood Curse are belated birthday presents from Retr0 <3
    I bought P4A and Guided Fate Paradox (for a good price) myself, they came this morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nice Gets today,
    A great condition Gameboy Micro with an extra official faceplate and little tool (snigger) for getting them off (snigger once again), it comes with an Aussie charger but I have an adapter here somewhere. That was for €35
    Also, from the same guy, got Boktai and Boktai 2,the second one boxed and both with instructions, the two for €15, which is a serious bargain tbh, given that one of them, unboxed, is worth more than that. Not sure if we get enough year round sunshine to make them work though!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nice Gets today,
    A great condition Gameboy Micro with an extra official faceplate and little tool (snigger) for getting them off (snigger once again), it comes with an Aussie charger but I have an adapter here somewhere. That was for €35
    Also, from the same guy, got Boktai and Boktai 2,the second one boxed and both with instructions, the two for €15, which is a serious bargain tbh, given that one of them, unboxed, is worth more than that. Not sure if we get enough year round sunshine to make them work though!

Cidey, you're gonna have to start taking pictures of these gets man...reading about them in text form just isn't the same! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Parawind

It's safe to say I spent way above my normal budget this month. Factory sealed Super Street Fighter II is a beauty and I am truely torn if I should open it or not. Also I finally got an english copy of Terranigma.

I have to say the price difference between super famicom games and pal/ntsc versions is amazing, not to mention they always seem to be in amazing condition.

29pqk4z.jpg

Parawind wrote: »
    Also I finally got an english copy of Terranigma.

Welcome to the club :) Were you after it for long, & where did you finally pick it up?

Welcome to the club :) Were you after it for long, & where did you finally pick it up?

Been after it for ages, I had been watching out for it on ebay for about 2 years. Finally I decided to pull the trigger as there were less and less of the english version showing up for sale. Lots of repro carts and German versions so I was trying to be as careful as possible.

Actually I have just checked ebay and there is now a fully boxed copy ending in 6 hours, curious to see what that goes for. Currently at 94 euro plus postage. I managed to get my cart version for 100, I expect that will end up 200+.

I managed to get my cart version for 100, I expect that will end up 200+.

Yeah that's about the rate today for an unboxed copy, & with the dawn of those flash/tsop adapters making repro's easy as pie...it's going to be a messier game going forward for Snes collecting. I bit the bullet on Terranigma last year, for more or less the same reasons (less english versions coming up for sale)

Master of the Universe

Cart only is going for €100 these days? Christ! :eek:

I'm fairly sure people will be trading on the stock market in snes carts soon enough.

Yeah that's about the rate today for an unboxed copy, & with the dawn of those flash/tsop adapters making repro's easy as pie...it's going to be a messier game going forward for Snes collecting. I bit the bullet on Terranigma last year, for more or less the same reasons (less english versions coming up for sale)

Yeah exactly, tbh I don't have a problem with reproductions in general as long as the sellers make it clear that's what they are selling. The problem is that of course many sellers are trying to pass off repro's for their originals.

I am trying to pick up as many of the rarer titles now on my list as possible for sane prices. Should have a big lot of others arriving in the coming week.

Cart only is going for €100 these days? Christ! :eek:

I'm fairly sure people will be trading on the stock market in snes carts soon enough.

Yup it's pricey, but keep in mind it wasn't released in the US and a huge number of the copies are German, so the Americans have been plundering the small number of English versions. Also highly unlikely we will see a re-release in the future on the VC.

Master of the Universe

Yup it's pricey, but keep in mind it wasn't released in the US and a huge number of the copies are German, so the Americans have been plundering the small number of English versions. Also highly unlikely we will see a re-release in the future on the VC.

Oh I'm not knocking how much you spent on it, the 'christ' was more to do with the price increase. I was looking for a copy myself a few months back and I remember it being expensive, but not around the €100 mark.

• Advertisement

Yeah exactly, tbh I don't have a problem with reproductions in general as long as the sellers make it clear that's what they are selling. The problem is that of course many sellers are trying to pass off repro's for their originals.

I'd be the same. Though I must admit, my enthusiasm for repro's has been largely curtailed since I read that most of them will be lucky to be still working in ten years. Given that, I think the flash card route makes the most sense.
    Oh I'm not knocking how much you spent on it, the 'christ' was more to do with the price increase. I was looking for a copy myself a few months back and I remember it being expensive, but not around the €100 mark.

It's a sleeper, in that it seems to have risen in price steadily, albeit quietly & out of the limelight...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement