Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'd be the same. Though I must admit, my enthusiasm for repro's has been largely curtailed since I read that most of them will be lucky to be still working in ten years. Given that, I think the flash card route makes the most sense.

That really is annoying! I feel sorry for all those people who turn on their apparent 'legit' Earthbound carts in 10 years to find no game.

I hope that's just a conservative estimation anyway. I know they say the same about eprom proto carts but loads of them are still going 20+ years later. I still kept that mask rom you removed from my Earthbound board anyway, maybe I can learn Japanese at some point in the next 10 years :D
    It's a sleeper, in that it seems to have risen in price steadily, albeit quietly & out of the limelight...

The 16 bit generation seems to be rising steadily as a whole, I've been really shocked at some Megadrive game price rises i've seen.

It's been pushing me away from ebay and more towards the idea of going on carboot hunts every weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    That really is annoying! I feel sorry for all those people who turn on their apparent 'legit' Earthbound carts in 10 years to find no game.

I hope that's just a conservative estimation anyway. I know they say the same about eprom proto carts but loads of them are still going 20+ years later. I still kept that mask rom you removed from my Earthbound board anyway, maybe I can learn Japanese at some point in the next 10 years :D

Buying Earthbound was a big worry for me alright, I mean it has to be one of the top repro'd Snes games at this stage. Replacement stickers too have made it a real minefield where the expensive Snes games are concerned.

The eprom proto carts I'd imagine, have at least a decent standard of eprom chips (at the supplier level). The flash chips being used in the Snes repro's are cheap as chips, & likely won't last anywhere near 20 years by all accounts. Once I read that, it turned me right off them...I mean, what's the point? I ended up selling my own Mother 2 conversion cart & buying Earthbound...it's only going to go up in value so there's no time like the present!
    The 16 bit generation seems to be rising steadily as a whole, I've been really shocked at some Megadrive game price rises i've seen.

It's been pushing me away from ebay and more towards the idea of going on carboot hunts every weekend.

True that, some of the prices border on the ridiculous. Carboot hunts now are mostly PS2 era stuff, so we're kinds screwed here when looking to collect 16bit stuff...

Carboot hunts now are mostly PS2 era stuff, so we're kinds screwed here when looking to collect 16bit stuff...

you can only buy so many copies of Buzz:D

urbanledge wrote: »
    you can only buy so many copies of Buzz:D

Feck that, it's all about FIFA 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

o6M82.jpg

That's so bad it's good!

Anyone else discover that music video by exploring around their Windows 95 CD back in the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Sera wrote: »
    5 new games for my PS3
    Valkyrie Chronicles, Lollypop Chainsaw and Siren Blood Curse are belated birthday presents from Retr0 <3
    I bought P4A and Guided Fate Paradox (for a good price) myself, they came this morning.

Very Nice! Think I need to pick up Lollypop Chainsaw myself!

Although I still need to play Dead Rising tho....

but hey, dats none of yo business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Parawind

Oh I'm not knocking how much you spent on it, the 'christ' was more to do with the price increase. I was looking for a copy myself a few months back and I remember it being expensive, but not around the €100 mark.

That's exactly why I jumped on, can't see anyone finding a bunch of original copies and flooding the market so that price will only increase.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

waveform wrote: »

I found the checkpoints odd.
    I played for an hour before turning it off, next time I turned it on I had to start from the beginning again.
    I haven't turned it back on since!

Master of the Universe

Parawind wrote: »
    That's exactly why I jumped on, can't see anyone finding a bunch of original copies and flooding the market so that price will only increase.

It's like the videogames version of the Irish housing market :D

No you're probably right. There are loads of games I wish I did that with years ago. Actually mainly arcade PCBs. I still remember turning down Battle Gareggas/Batriders/DoDonPachis for €100-€150 as I wasn't into shmups at the time.

Feckin' eejit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I found the checkpoints odd.
    I played for an hour before turning it off, next time I turned it on I had to start from the beginning again.
    I haven't turned it back on since!

I raged-quitted when I got completely stuck at
    Zombie Baseball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

Here my new ps2 pick up, sweet lot for 30.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Screw it, 330 for the lot was too tempting to turn down:

fatycl.jpg

It's a good time to get on the Wii U bandwagon :)

Master of the Universe

How much are they going for these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

waveform wrote: »

Although I still need to play Dead Rising tho....

but hey, dats none of yo business.
    I watched Retr0 play it and loved it.
    Same, never played DR either so not alone there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Does any one here have a PS Vita? Was thinking of hoping on that bandwagon or the Wii U one :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Excellent purchase Johnny-U. Let me know what you think of Lego City when you get a chance to play it. Heard it was pretty good actually.

Any thoughts on your free dl game? Pikmin, Mario or Monster Hunter maybe? All three are great. Pikmin has been put on hold for a bit since I've gotten Monster Hunter (€25 from CeX online incl postage) - starting to get pretty addictive once you get past the initial few hours of wtf am I supposed to be doing (defo needed to go online for help).
    How much are they going for these days?

€290 in Gamestop will get you a bundle of some sort. Then you can get any new game for €40, presumably JU picked up MK8, bringing the total up to €330. You can also try and get the summer sale deal - 2 free games with a console purchase. Choices are Fifa, Zelda, Sonic Racing, Nintendo Land. Some folks are refused this when buying a bundle (summer sale might just apply to a bare console purchase), but most seem to be getting it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I was looking for the New Mario Bros U bundle but it was sold out everywhere I checked so went with Lego instead rather than traversing the country hoping to find it! Will let you know how it is when I give it a whirl!

Think I'll go with Pikmin for the free game. Tempted by Wonderful 101 too, but will probably just settle on those little garden dwellers!

Guy in the shop seemed super confused by the deal, computer wasn't registering it. It was coming up as something like 460 euro without the discounts, so not a bad saving for 330!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

marko93 wrote: »
    Does any one here have a PS Vita? Was thinking of hoping on that bandwagon or the Wii U one :P
    I'm mad for a Vita too after seeing P3P on it, I haven't a clue about Vita games other than P4Golden, I just want my PSP games to look pretty lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

marko93 wrote: »

I bought a vita and a wii u last year. Both great systems with some fantastic exclusives.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I love them both, the Vita has a cracking selection of exclusives but it's probably best to avoid most of the PS3 ports, at least the Resistance and Killzone titles on the system.
    Tearaway is one of the games of 2013 though, fantastic stuff and needing a sequel of some sort

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

I'm really tempted by one, but atm to get one I'd have to trade in my 3DS for one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

312931.jpg

Keno wrote: »
    312931.jpg

That's a lovely set of games there, a great starting point for any retro collection, or even a start of a decent Snes collection, Super Mario World is a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

That's a lovely set of games there, a great starting point for any retro collection, or even a start of a decent Snes collection, Super Mario World is a masterpiece.

Back when I had the SNES as a youngin' it was basically a Mario player, which still made it amazing! I used to play DK in my friends house so I picked them up too. LTTP is my first Zelda, I heard it's not a bad one to start off with :P

I'm looking at FFIII, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Castlevania IV, Contra III, Sunset Riders, Mega Man X and Illusion of Gaia but I'll have to sell a kidney for them!

Pace yourself, don't worry too much about owning then all now and watch for bargains.
    You'll be surprised at how many of those you'll pick up for sensible prices.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Andrew76 wrote: »
    €290 in Gamestop will get you a bundle of some sort. Then you can get any new game for €40, presumably JU picked up MK8, bringing the total up to €330. You can also try and get the summer sale deal - 2 free games with a console purchase. Choices are Fifa, Zelda, Sonic Racing, Nintendo Land. Some folks are refused this when buying a bundle (summer sale might just apply to a bare console purchase), but most seem to be getting it.

Thats the same bundle i got except i had to get sonic racing becuase they where sold out of Mario and Nintendo Land and i didnt fancy Fifa. Great deal for the console and all those games, plus a download game too.

I Bought Injustice and Zombi U for 22 quid of amazon yesterday as well for the WiiU.

Keno wrote: »
    I'm looking at FFIII, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Castlevania IV, Contra III, Sunset Riders, Mega Man X and Illusion of Gaia but I'll have to sell a kidney for them!

Illusion of Gaia is pretty cheap, Contra III isn't too expensive either if you're going unboxed

So is the WiiU finally finding some momentum?
    Seems to be a good number of people who have decided to take the plunge.
    And, seeing as they can now dip into over a years worth of releases, they have a decent selection of titles to play.
    But will this diversity be improved on, will third parties return to the format or will it be a slow trickle of first party releases and little else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So is the WiiU finally finding some momentum?
    Seems to be a good number of people who have decided to take the plunge.
    And, seeing as they can now dip into over a years worth of releases, they have a decent selection of titles to play.
    But will this diversity be improved on, will third parties return to the format or will it be a slow trickle of first party releases and little else.

I'm not too pushed about third party releases. Nintendo machines for me have always been about the games you can't get on any other system. With the selection of games released so far, those announced at E3 and some inevitable titles not yet mentioned (I'm thinking maybe F-Zero, Metroid) - the Wii-U will have easily been a worthwhile purchase. For everything else there's PC or PlayStation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement