Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

shooter for the MSX2 :

nearly got it last week but ended up grabbing other cool MSX stuff instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Just to update incase anyone name changes, it's 14 per word not altogether, so if you space or _ in between it works, pity it was suggested to me when I mentioned the username I wanted being too long.
    So - hooray

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Well parcel motel finally sent me a cheque for the parcel they damaged on me over 2 months ago.
    One thing they mentioned in the letter attached which may be of interest to anyone selling/buying retro items and using their service was that proof of cost by invoice is required for a claim.
    Now the item they damaged on me was an item I sold to another PM user via Adverts.ie, I provided proof of sale(paypal receipt), I didn't have an Invoice from the original purchase as it was obviously an old item, I also provided photos of the parcel before it was dropped off and photos of the box after it was received(battered to bits).
    Never once did they question this in any other correspondence, but I guess what they are getting at here is that their liability does not cover items which are not new. In which case this service is useless if you are using it to send second hand items you are selling and they get damaged or lost in transit.
    I will not be using this service to send any retro items anymore, in fact I wont be using it at all after the 2 months it took contacting them daily for claim to be processed.
    Take a look at their twitter feed, I think I'm lucky to have gotten my claim.

1zdvwx3.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Andrew76 wrote: »
    What's the quality of the book itself like, decent enough?

Not the most amazing quality but the binding and paper quality is pretty good. Would prefer hardback but it would probably cost too much for Kurt.
    space manbow?

Absolutely legendary MSX shooter and one of Konami's best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Edge Magazine from 1996:

QO2EvKs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Looks like today will be a day for hugging a heater and playing some retro games. I just went out for a jog. I lasted a half an hour and came home with brain freeze...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Well parcel motel finally sent me a cheque for the parcel they damaged on me over 2 months ago.
    One thing they mentioned in the letter attached which may be of interest to anyone selling/buying retro items and using their service was that proof of cost by invoice is required for a claim.
    Now the item they damaged on me was an item I sold to another PM user via Adverts.ie, I provided proof of sale(paypal receipt), I didn't have an Invoice from the original purchase as it was obviously an old item, I also provided photos of the parcel before it was dropped off and photos of the box after it was received(battered to bits).
    Never once did they question this in any other correspondence, but I guess what they are getting at here is that their liability does not cover items which are not new. In which case this service is useless if you are using it to send second hand items you are selling and they get damaged or lost in transit.
    I will not be using this service to send any retro items anymore, in fact I wont be using it at all after the 2 months it took contacting them daily for claim to be processed.
    Take a look at their twitter feed, I think I'm lucky to have gotten my claim.

1zdvwx3.jpg

Good work Cathal, thanks for the update and warning.

Looks like today will be a day for hugging a heater and playing some retro games. I just went out for a jog. I lasted a half an hour and came home with brain freeze...

I can barely hear my TV over the wind. It's really bad out by me.. real stuggle to even open the door to my building.

The wind even took out the Hilton sign:

7jbTsE3l.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was walking down Dawson Street and a gust hit a sign outside a restaurant and threw it maybe 10-15 feet in the air. Serious clatter when it came down, seconds behind someone who had walked out of the restaurant.

Watching the airplanes out the window of my office here is crazy.. you can see them all try to land and then give up... Looking at the flight paths on flightradar24 shows them flying round and round the bay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You think it's bad in Dublin, try living in the post apocalytic wasteland that is Sligo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    post apocalytic wasteland that is Sligo :(

Sure it was like that before any storm :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You think it's bad in Dublin, try living in the post apocalytic wasteland that is Sligo :(

I trained there for three years from 90 to 93, it's a fancy place of fanciness compared to the wreckage of humanity that it was in my day....

DinoRex wrote: »
    Watching the airplanes out the window of my office here is crazy.. you can see them all try to land and then give up... Looking at the flight paths on flightradar24 shows them flying round and round the bay.

I was on a plane like that a few years ago. Went to London to see a Football macth with my brother. Whole thing was a disaster. Got to London and it was -15 celsius, everywhere was covered with ice. Match was called off due to weather and then on the way back the pilot had 2 hairy landing attempts he pulled out of at the last minute then had to fly to Belfast to refuel (quite a scary landing there as well) and then finally landed in Dublin on his next attempt.

Wasn't one of the regulars here in an actual plane crash I recall so it wasn't all that bad! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Flying back from Paris just before Christmas was a bit hairy too, lotsa turbulence and and bit of a wallop on landing.
    Thankfully Cidonalad slept through it but She Who Must Be Obeyed says she is never getting on a plane again!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Never had anything like that myself on a plane before luckily enough. The worst of it was probably the pilot doing a hop, skip and a jump to land the plane on the third touch down with a thud in Beauvais, but that's normal with RyanAir.

I also ended up on a bus journey like flight. We were coming home from Liverpool a few years ago at around half 10. The plane was 20 minutes late taking of, then the pilot announces that we have to pick up another group along the way. We ended up in Manchester and a flight that should have taken 20 minutes took the best part of 2 hours, ha.

My worst was a flight from Chicago to Grand Rapids over the great lake in super windy and icy conditions. Had to abort in the end and return to Chicago where they just stuck me on a bus the next morning. Plane before us had crashed on the runway due to the ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

We'd an aborted landing in Dublin last year on the way back from skiing, they didn't make any announcement and at about 100feet just went straight back up and headed out over Dublin bay, nobody said anything, about 5minutes past and the pilot came on to say the winds were beyond the planes flying capabilities and we were going to circle around until they died off and if they didn't we would have to head to the UK.
    Never heard a plane so silent in all my life, we did land after about 30minutes and were the last plane to land that evening.
    I was on another shakey flight a good few years ago landing in London and the girl beside me grabbed hold of my arm and squeezed until we landed, funny ****, she said she worked in London and flew that flight every week and never experienced anything like it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

On hold to nintendo trying to find out where my ambassador 3ds is

Bloody nightmare as it seems they have cocked up the irish orders as we normally cant buy from the store

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Came across the oddest little arcade machines when away there last week. It was Soul Calibur, Metal Slug X and Tekken 3. All nifty games, but they were housed in the most stretched-out CRT going and the control panel consisted of twiddly sticks more fitting a crane-game and the buttons were, I think, nabbed off a fruit machine. They did, however, have a Century City Bubble Bobble, so good times.

• Advertisement

Just got my pre-order in for the Majora's Mask *NEW* 3DS XL.

They sold out super quick in the US.

Also in Europe they come with a free power adapter because 'f*ck you America!' apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Also in Europe they come with a free power adapter because 'f*ck you America!' apparently.

I did too, it's a thing of beauty!
    Said the power adaptors were sold out though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Did you go for the PAL one, or the US one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Weather's pretty bad, heard a few scared horses this morning, gave me a fright they were so loud I thought it was in my room, someone was trying to catch them, I hope they were okay.
    Fingers crossed tomorrow will be a lot better for Akumakon.

Haha... are we still calling these things PAL? I went with the EU one anyway.

Although I may regret that... looking at the US version of yesterdays Nintendo Direct and it's filled Atlus games that will never get released over here because 'F*ck you Europe' apparently.

Weather's pretty bad, heard a few scared horses this morning, gave me a fright they were so loud I thought it was in my room, someone was trying to catch them, I hope they were okay.

It's awful when strange noises wake you up in the night and you have to ask yourself is that your banshee or the neighbors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Haha... are we still calling these things PAL?

:confused:
    I went with the EU one anyway.

Cool, I presume it's UK only postage from Nintendo & no parcel motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Myrddin wrote: »

I put in my Parcel Motel details, so time to play the waiting game! Will they? Won't they? Who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Did you hear the thunder too? My poor dog, she was so scared after hearing it.

Also, I liked the previous name change better. Less cluttered by having the "get dizzy" part below the username.

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »

I don't think the 3DS is outputting in PAL no matter what region. Just think it's funny that we're still saying PAL.

I got the Bayonetta collectors edition and some Amiibos via the Nintendo store via parcel motel no problem in the past... may bump up my parcel motel insurance for the week it's due to be delivered though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement