Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Dafuq is that?
    It's a new anime from Japan with Sega Characters, series finished today I think so good time to watch it
    The project focuses on various anthropomorphised Sega consoles, known as "Sega Hard Girls" or "SeHa Girls" for short, each with their own unique personalities. The anime series follows three such girls; Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, and Mega Drive, who must graduate from Sehagaga Academy, a special school located in Haneda, Tokyo, by venturing into the worlds of various Sega games and earning medals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Thought the Babadook was a superb psychological horror, and a great portrait of tortured parenthood (like a less abstract Eraserhead).

If only there was a place where I had articulated my thoughts in more depth ;)http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057313730/1/#post92739912

by all means people who found it to be great I am happy for them and you but to me it was so poor.

the editing cuts from scene to scene was annoying aswell as the abstract camera shots from free falling on the bed was very mtv-ish.
    the scene were the dog died had no weight to it and the characters themselves had no emotion that the dog was killed was pretty much oh well
    forceful in execution with loads of dickhead characters I did not care about. sister was a dick , mother a dick , the son pretty much the most obnoxious character since jar jar blinx.
    real life situation the mother should not bare a child she resents

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Anyone wanna hold my hand while I try Alien Isolation ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Won't you need both hands for the controller?
    What pervy ness are you really after?
    Filth!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Bought that the other night, fired it up to play and wouldn't work - my ancient gfx card doesn't support DX11, ffs. Played Captain Toad instead. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loving Captain Toad myself, no homo
    It's such a gorgeous title, and plays so well.
    One little issue though, and I feel embarrassed to mention it.

Given that, despite the lovely HD visuals onscreen, I for one wound up looking at the Gamepad pretty much all the time, how come they didn't just release it for the 3DS?
    I mean, there doesn't seem to be an awful lot going on there that the little handheld couldn't do.
    And you'd have the added extra of the added extra dimension.

There is probably a marvellous reason why not, and I'm 100% happy with the game on the WiiU so don't get me wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Alien Isolation features the most effective portrayal of the Xenomorph since the original film (before Cameron went and made them cannon fodder ;))

Shame the game could have used a bit of editing and fewer murderous androids, but when it works it's genuinely terrific.

Got alien isolation today in smyths for 30 euros , last copy they had

Destroyed my finger breaking odd the seal , sharp plastic :(

Wont be playing it till i finish assassin creed unity and till the servers are alright on the ps4 for me to redeem the code for the dlc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The DLC is totally standalone, no need to download it before getting into the main campaign!

The DLC is totally standalone, no need to download it before getting into the main campaign!

Thank god for that , that brilliant news :D

• Advertisement

I would have picked it up only there were no copies left on the shelves in Smyths in Swords.
    Also, the queue of desperate parents and their mewling spawn would put one off trying to ask if there were any more copies behind the counter.
    Nipped off to GS and got the two I did instead.
    I figure I'll pick Alien Isolation up at some point, when it's more plentiful at the 29.99 price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Sera wrote: »
    It's a new anime from Japan with Sega Characters, series finished today I think so good time to watch it

love the description for the gamegear girl:
    A moody negative girl with multicolored hair. She tires easily and prefers to stay indoors, often leaving class early.
    :D

What's great is that it's a totally original and cool way to use the Sega heritage.
    And compare it to the way Nintendo use their IP, Sega seem to far ahead.
    And as for poor poor Sony and the tragic story of MS in Japan, just embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What's great is that it's a totally original and cool way to use the Sega heritage.
    And compare it to the way Nintendo use their IP, Sega seem to far ahead.
    And as for poor poor Sony and the tragic story of MS in Japan, just embarrassing.
    Hideki Naganuma shared it on FB (add him), I saw it somewhere else but something happened like I couldn't find the name so delighted he shared it again and its on Crunchyroll afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Folks, I need to upgrade my hdmi switcher. It's a cheap non-hdcp box that doesn't work with the PS3, PS4 or the One...so it needs to go. Any recomendations for a decent one that won't break the bank, preferably a passive, auto switcher one?

I got one in Tesco's last year for about €15. Got PS3, XB360 and PC hooked up, auto switching and haven't touched it since I plugged it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Sera wrote: »
    Did you actually like DW or was it just an example? I enjoyed it (JP ver.) but don't remember anyone else saying they did. I used to get the Tartan Asia movies cheap in Xtravision, those were the days

Yeah. The original is great. The amount of dread you feel when ever she finds the little yellow bag is brilliant. Babadook does a very similar thing with the book.

Watched a science fiction film called 'The Signal' over the xmas. It started out lovely as a slow burner but about half way through it takes a one way trip into stupid town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I got one in Tesco's last year for about €15. Got PS3, XB360 and PC hooked up, auto switching and haven't touched it since I plugged it in.

Cheers, how many ports on that one?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Cheers, how many ports on that one?

Just 3 of them.

I had such bad luck hooking up my Sky HD box, PS4 and WDTV Live box to various digital hdmi switchers, in the end I bought a mechanical one in Powercity and it works just fine.
    The always on nature of the Sky box was playing havoc with earlier ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Missed my bus today so went into Rage with an hour to spare. Still nothing worth buying there. Saw they had an NTSC copy of Lufia 2 and got excited. Was hoping for around 60 and they'd have a sale. 120 euro... **** off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

D4 is next months free game with the games for gold Microsoft thing. Hurray!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

What's this Professor Layton movie starting shortly* on Sony movies sky 323

* (12.40 am 30th Dec)

In the market for a PC monitor, didn't realise it was going to be such a complicated procedure :eek:

Better off going for a high refresh rate or IPS model? I'm leaning towards the former... Anybody have any recommendations for a particular one (€300-400 mark, which of course narrows down the high res models!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

In the market for a PC monitor, didn't realise it was going to be such a complicated procedure :eek:

Better off going for a high refresh rate or IPS model? I'm leaning towards the former... Anybody have any recommendations for a particular one (€300-400 mark, which of course narrows down the high res models!)?

Sony GDM-FW900!

Native Resolution: 2304 x 1440 at 80 Hz
    Pixel Pitch: 0.23 mm
    Vertical Refresh Rate: 160 Hz
    Horizontal Refresh Rate:121 kHz

Feck inferior LCDs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I'm very disappointed in myself for forgetting to post this several days ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bit late to the party but finished Monoument Valley yesterday. Fantastic game but also really perplexed with how they coded it. The 3D perspective is unlike anything else. It has that minimalist art style I usually hate but the game just looks gorgeous, really shows the difference actual talent makes when it comes to art.

If you didn't play the DLC, do! Some of the art and puzzle design is even better than the core game.

On a related note, saw this comment underneath the Sailor's Dream 'best of year' article on Eurogamer the other day. Really highlights the type of ignorant attitudes the developers doing imaginative, experimental and impressive things on mobile formats have to deal with:

j0h8j6.jpg

• Advertisement

Bought the dlc ages ago before I even played the game, kind of knew I'd like it just from looking at it.

That comment really is something less. So if you make an unconventional game for mobile it automatically isn't a contender for game of the year. Saying shadows of mordor is a game of the year contender shows their intellect :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement