Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How dare you for liking a game that's not big budget, how very dare you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,026 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It'd be funny if it wasn't such a common attitude.

I honestly think that beyond 'ethics in journalism' and good old fashioned misogyny, the bizarre phobia some people have of independent and offbeat games was one of the major catalysts behind GamerGate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,692 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah some of those phobias are just idiotic. All turn based games are crap, if it doesn't have guns or swords it's **** and 'faggy' nintendo graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Yeah. They had an email writing campaign to prevent Gone Home from being released on the Wii U, but GTA5 gets taken off shop shelves of a super market in Australia and they sh*t the bed!

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah some of those phobias are just idiotic. All turn based games are crap, if it doesn't have guns or swords it's **** and 'faggy' nintendo graphics.

It's rather ironic that the testosterone driven muscle men in the games that type of person plays are far more homo erotic.

The type of person that calls Mario 'gay' and then proceeds to teabag someone in Halo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just watched Pride last night with the better half, turns out the US have it an R cert, apparently their approach to homosexuality in cinema is rate it out of the way of young people, presumably in case they catch the gay or something.
    Idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's rather ironic that the testosterone driven muscle men in the games that type of person plays are far more homo erotic.

The type of person that calls Mario 'gay' and then proceeds to teabag someone in Halo.

As someone who used to play CoD, Gears of War, Halo, Battlefield and FIFA competitively online, homo erotic honestly hits the nail on the head. There were times when the atmosphere was just downright awkward sitting in the game lobby waiting for the match to start.

Playing Mario Kart 8 now and I haven't had this much fun playing a game online (apart from Portal 2 with friends) since Mario Kart Wii when that launched. Even when you're losing you're having fun and the only messages you can give other players in lobbies are encouraging ones, ha.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No fun if you spend all your time falling off of Rainbow Road.
    Especially if playing a cheating fecker like Retr0!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I haven't fallen off Rainbow Road yet, ha. I was actually pretty surprised given how crap I was at MK Wii. I don't seem to fall off much to be fair. Maybe once or twice every 2nd/3rd race. It can get a bit annoying when you get hit with 3 green shells in a row and you couldn't hit the wall with one of your green shells, ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Any of the Wii U heads play this yet?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/meme-run

Almost makes me want to buy the console! ;)

Shame I'm not in it tho...

much dissapoint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No fun if you spend all your time falling off of Rainbow Road.
    Especially if playing a cheating fecker like Retr0!

50235_108118785878426_7751_n.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,692 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Whaaaat?

That's mad news! PS4 purchase confirmed.

I wonder will it get an English release? Part of Leynos 2's charm is not knowing what the hell is going on :D

Really enjoying Dragon Age Inquisition at the moment.

Wasn't a fan of the first one and gave the second one a miss but this one feels like a proper old Bioware game like Jade Empire. It's bloody beautiful too. Am 20 hours in now and the story is just getting going.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Just seen a giant Game Boy DMG-01 getting wheeled into one of the empty units in the CHQ building in the IFSC!
    Anyone know if there might be some retro event going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve SI wrote: »
    Just seen a giant Game Boy DMG-01 getting wheeled into one of the empty units in the CHQ building in the IFSC!

Sounds more like there was an event last night and went a bit mad on d'oul lsd! ;)

Master of the Universe

I think I remember seeing photos from some Dublin hipster type group that hang out in a warehouse down the docklands, they had a giant DMG-01 hanging in the background for extra hipness. Might be to do with them? Similar location.

Anyone else have a bunch of Club Nintendo stars expiring today? First time I've noticed them expiring... just cashed in 4000 for the Mario Kart badges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Hipsters. Urgh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It could be the hipsters, but they were wheeling it into the main area that's empty, and that's usually used for art displays and events.

There's an area down the end(or up the front depending on how you look at it) that would be great for a retro event to show off the arcade machines and consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

DinoRex wrote: »
    Anyone else have a bunch of Club Nintendo stars expiring today? First time I've noticed them expiring... just cashed in 4000 for the Mario Kart badges.

Yep, just checked there. 1500 expiring for me today/tomorrow. I thought they'd done away with expiry dates for these! I wouldn't mind, but the scutter available makes me not want to waste them just to save 1500 points. Digital wallpaper & ringtones, ffs Nintendo!

That said I think a lot of my points might have still been left overs from Game Cube games. Went on big binge of adding codes in about 2 years ago and lots and lots of GC stuff still worked.

Master of the Universe

It could be the hipsters, but they were wheeling it into the main area that's empty, and that's usually used for art displays and events.

There's an area down the end(or up the front depending on how you look at it) that would be great for a retro event to show off the arcade machines and consoles.

Hipsters putting on an art display maybe? :D

Yeah it would be great to organize something like that if the interest was there, it's a good spot for it alright. How about Steve_SI's arcade and retro Emporium? You'd have me as a customer anyway :D
    Myrddin wrote: »
    Yep, just checked there. 1500 expiring for me today/tomorrow. I thought they'd done away with expiry dates for these! I wouldn't mind, but the scutter available makes me not want to waste them just to save 1500 points. Digital wallpaper & ringtones, ffs Nintendo!

Ah stop, my sister had a load of points she needed to use up there over the weekend. We had a look and were absolutely disgusted by the rubbish on the EU store.

I think when I last used my points, there wasn't any EU store and it was all from Japan. There was a lot more variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I never got an email to say my stars were gonna expire but was told it's at the bottom? I don't even look that close at it. I used as much points as I could the last time getting the CD and Pikmin keyring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Do Wii games come with stars codes, I only need 150 more for that Game & Watch thing

Yep. Also so do lots of stuff you've probably downloaded on the Wii U for free like Google Street View.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Myrddin wrote: »
    Do Wii games come with stars codes, I only need 150 more for that Game & Watch thing

They do, some will still work and some won't. I went through all my Nintendo stuff a few months ago to get the DS game and watch collection and found that some codes still worked after the expiry.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Don't forget to get the hover boards and Nike mags out tonight guys.

back-to-the-future-shoes.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

DinoRex wrote: »

Didn't know they still did that ****e, their awful website doesn't want to let me log in either. :mad:

• Advertisement

Don't forget to get the hover boards and Nike mags out tonight guys.

back-to-the-future-shoes.jpg

I'm looking to put a fax machine in the jacks in honour of this coming year. .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement