Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

This summer I'll be travelling around Ireland doing lots of aerial photography (and 4k vids) of various landmarks and places of interest. Doing it purely for myself and the joy I get flying drones/quads and messing around with cameras.
    Are there any irish gaming places worth getting a look at? As in, the old Atari place etc. Or are they all gone or just factories now?

Just thought I'd ask as I've never seen the old Atari factory in person and if they still have that stone sign I've seen in pics there it might be a cool take off point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Are there any irish gaming places worth getting a look at? As in, the old Atari place etc. Or are they all gone or just factories now?

Just thought I'd ask as I've never seen the old Atari factory in person and if they still have that stone sign I've seen in pics there it might be a cool take off point.
    I saw a photo from 2009 of the sign in Limerick from Google (didn't even know about there being anything left) think it belonged to Dell at some stage but it's gone now too afaik. Ask in the Limerick forum if no one here knows, someone might be more help.
    If its outside the city I don't know much unfortunately unless I have family there.
    My dad thinks it turned into at least 2 different factories since but he's not 100% which side of town it was.

I saw a photo from 2009 of the sign in Limerick from Google (didn't even know about there being anything left) think it belonged to Dell at some stage but it's gone now too afaik. Ask in the Limerick forum if no one here knows, someone might be more help.
    If its outside the city I don't know much unfortunately unless I have family there.
    My dad thinks it turned into at least 2 different factories since but he's not 100% which side of town it was.

Cheers, so not much point heading down that way to film some generic factory then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Cheers, so not much point heading down that way to film some generic factory then :)
    Potentially abandoned factory...that's a potential breeding ground for fighting Power Rangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Thought Atari was in Tipperary town?

Ghost seaside towns come to mind like Tramore etc

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »
    Thought Atari was in Tipperary town?

Ghost seaside towns come to mind like Tramore etc

Clonmel is where they did the woodwoorking anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

If you head down to Tramore give me a shout. 15 mins from my house.

Clonmel is where they did the woodwoorking anyways

I think it was here in Tipperary town.

https://goo.gl/maps/9aspU

Namco sign on it now.

Lads is anyone in cork city?
    I need a favor.and no its not that ya dirty buggers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

*Raises hand*

Just so you know I don't drive, but send me a pm anyways.

• Advertisement

Has anyone used the Parcel Motel in the Maxol Station in Ringsend?
    Is it a proper outside kiosk or one of those dodgy behind the counter boxes?

I collected a few bits before from Athy over the xmas while visiting the family and it was my first experience with a non kiosk motel. Didn't like it as my parcels where just out in the open behind the shop counter for everyone to see(in a cardboard box).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Cork here as well. Have a crew cab yoke if you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Still might be worth an ask on Limerick forum. I'm never out that way or know anyone that would be.

OK gonna give p horgan a pm!
    cheers doge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

OK gonna give p horgan a pm!
    cheers doge

That might just have saved me putting my back out! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had too much sake with dinner today, paid a visit to A Too in Kyoto and came out with a Holy Grail game. I've equal parts exhilaration and regret but it might have been worth it just for the look on the clerks face when I said the name of the game I was going to buy. 'We only take cash for that'.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Set up Mame and HyperSpin on Saturday, so another step closer to my iCade -> Bartop all-in-one plan. I will probably need to redo the iPac wiring too though, but that can wait till I stick a better joystick/buttons into it. Probably need to replace the leaf switches for the joystick too, as the ones in it are somewhat clicky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Poxy AIB. I've my debit card with me and left the bank know I was travelling to Japan and yet I've got a 250 euro per day withdrawing limit on my card anyway. Same thing happened a few years ago in New York. Scamming protection my ass, it's so they can lower their insurance premiums for scamming.

Anyway does anyone know how to get around this? At this rate I'm going to come how with money in my account which would be a horrible thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

It may not be your bank imposing the limit, the foreign bank can also apply withdrawal limits on you at their ATMs. No harm calling them to check though.

The POS limit is separate so though, so should give you a bit more buying power.

I think I remember taking out loads of cash in the post office atms in Tokyo.

Hmm I might try different ATMs. At the moment I'll just keep taking the max out I can in the mornings.

What's POS limit?

I'm one of those tits without a smart phone so can't really call them since my phone just isn't working here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Point of Sale Limit - Ie using your card to buy directly in stores, & not withdrawing cash

Ah ok, not really good to me either. As I found out with two holy grail purchases, the retro game shops either only take cash or else only do cash for big money transactions. If I see a copy of Hyperduel for the Saturn it might just have to wait :P

I think I remember taking out loads of cash in the post office atms in Tokyo.

Yeah the post office ATMs seem to allow a much higher withdrawal of cash. Same with the 7 eleven stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭MrVestek

You could head to an atm at 11:50pm, withdraw the maximum amount and then again after midnight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Or put serious thought into selling your body?

state%2Bof%2Bme.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'm fairly sure there are places there that cater for that...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'm with AIB too and was able to spend more than 250 a day over there. Found it difficult to get to an ATM that worked but the post office & 7-11 ATMs definitely let me take out more than 250 in cash.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement