Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nissan Leaf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Zamboni wrote: »
    :D
    Roughly how long did it take?

For Dublin? About 15 minutes in Omagh, maybe 45 in Monaghan, 40 in Castlebellingham and 20 in Lusk. That's a rough estimate from memory.

So an extra 2 hours. Pain in the hole.

Going to Cork I did an overnight on the way down. Coming back I did it in one go. 8 rapids if I remember correctly. Overheated at Lusk and had to slow charge for a while. Left Cork around 8pm, got home at 6am I think. Hellish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Would anybody have any real world experience of driving an L24 from Dublin to Letterkenny or reverse?

Fast charge points appear to be:
    • Lusk Applegreen
    • Castlebellingham Applegreen
    • Monaghan Cricle K
    • Mellon Country Hotel
    • Dalys Circle K Strabane
    • Tobin's Circle K

Kind of info I'm interested in:
    How long did it take overall?
    The longer stretches likes Castlebellingham to Monaghan? Seems to be about 60km but if operating on 80% 112-115km range on motorway
    Did you operate a max speed to conserve even on motorway e.g 90km/hr?
    Did you have to use slow chargers at any point?

Thank you
    Yes. I did a similar-ish route on the first week I had my L24 back in 2016
    Navan to westport(day1) to Maghera to Dublin to Wexford to Navan (day2).
    I also did Westport - Kells - Wexford - Dublin - Kells in one day.

It's an absolute PITA. You get about 80km-90km per stop. I tried to conserve battery on longer stretches (eg Ballinasloe FCP to Enfield FCP) and drove at 90 indicated but this is to be avoided as you are a danger to other road users at that slow speed. 90 indicated is actually ~84-85
    The good news is that each fast charge is quicker than the last as the battery heats up. The bad news is that it will overheat. I arrived home with the battery past the red and performance limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭zg3409

Would anybody have any real world experience of driving an L24 from Dublin to Letterkenny or reverse?

Fast charge points appear to be:
    • Lusk Applegreen
    • Castlebellingham Applegreen
    • Monaghan Cricle K
    • Mellon Country Hotel
    • Dalys Circle K Strabane
    • Tobin's Circle K

Kind of info I'm interested in:
    How long did it take overall?
    The longer stretches likes Castlebellingham to Monaghan? Seems to be about 60km but if operating on 80% 112-115km range on motorway
    Did you operate a max speed to conserve even on motorway e.g 90km/hr?
    Did you have to use slow chargers at any point?

Thank you

In terms of Monaghan there is an easygo 50kW charger so 2 fast chargers in town. (This is blocked at the moment as hotel is closed)

Northern Ireland in general chargers are in a worse state than ROI due to lack of any maintenance and investment the past few years. As they are still free to use local hoggers stay to 100%. They tend to broken, busy or blocked more than ROI.

You might be safer to go Dublin, Sligo, Leterkenny due to multiple charging options on that route with a new 44kW charger in Sligo this week in addition to existing charger just north of the town.

However even in a straight line the trip is at least 250km+ which is a stretch for short range EVs.
    Better to hire or borrow an ICE for such trips unless you like an adventure and don't mind 1+ hour unexpected delays. Even getting the public bus could be an option and hire a car or get a taxi on each end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭obi604

Hello. I have a 142 Leaf. Acenta.
    At slow speeds when I turn fully to the right, I hear a knocking sound - which to me sounds like it’s coming from the left wheel area.

Did any of you ever experience this?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ltd440

obi604 wrote: »
    At slow speeds when I turn fully to the right, I hear a knocking sound - which to me sounds like it’s coming from the left wheel area.

Possibly a wheel bearing, you'll have to call to your mechanic to know for sure

• Advertisement

ltd440 wrote: »
    Possibly a wheel bearing, you'll have to call to your mechanic to know for sure

Thanks. If it was a wheel bearing, would that be expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ltd440

Thanks. If it was a wheel bearing, would that be expensive?

Usually no, but I've not gotten one done in a my leaf. Go to your mechanic for a quote and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

At slow speeds when I turn fully to the right, I hear a knocking sound

CV joint. Not too expensive.

Kramer wrote: »
    CV joint. Not too expensive.

Thanks for comment.
    As in 50 Euro or 200 Euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Thanks for comment.
    As in 50 Euro or 200 Euro?

Somewhere between those two figures probably, depending on your mechanic.
    €125 inc. labour wouldn't too far away I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Knocking is usually the CV, Grinding is usually a bearing and squealing wheel when moving is usually the breaks but could be a very bad bearing aswell.

mechanic checked this out yesterday, took the car for a drive, said he did indeed hear the noise, although had to try hard to make it happen.

He threw her up on the ramp, had a look, said CV joint was fine, said everything else looked fine, no obvious wear and tear issues. And sent me on my way.

I probably just notice it more because of the way I park at home - I have to turn to the right at nearly full lock at low speed and this is when I hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bmcgill

mechanic checked this out yesterday, took the car for a drive, said he did indeed hear the noise, although had to try hard to make it happen.

He threw her up on the ramp, had a look, said CV joint was fine, said everything else looked fine, no obvious wear and tear issues. And sent me on my way.

I probably just notice it more because of the way I park at home - I have to turn to the right at nearly full lock at low speed and this is when I hear it.

We have a 132 leaf and same as that at full lock there is a knocking noise. Doesn’t seem to ever cause any trouble though.

bmcgill wrote: »
    We have a 132 leaf and same as that at full lock there is a knocking noise. Doesn’t seem to ever cause any trouble though.

hi,

presume you haven't got a mechanic to check it over etc

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

slave1 wrote: »
    Start with the basics...
    Have you a 32amp charging cable?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

unkel wrote: »
    I always thought the difference was more. Not sure where I got that from. Maybe from the scores of Leafs driving on motorways at well under 90km/h. Maybe I just presumed they thought they were doing 100?

Would be good if we could kill this once and for all, I'm sure I would remember if we did :p

Any conclusive links / proof about indicated vs actual speed in the Nissan Leaf?

done some long distance driving where i had a co pilot.

Leaf 2020 indicated speed vs GPS google maps speed.
    120km/h - 115km/h
    110km/h - 105km/h
    100km/h - 95km/h
    80km/h - 75km/h
    60km/h - 56km/h
    50km/h - 47km/h

for anyone that has any interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Laviski wrote: »
    done some long distance driving where i had a co pilot.

Leaf 2020 indicated speed vs GPS google maps speed.
    120km/h - 115km/h
    110km/h - 105km/h
    100km/h - 95km/h
    80km/h - 75km/h
    60km/h - 56km/h
    50km/h - 47km/h

for anyone that has any interest.

My own l40 2018 is 4km diff at 120 and 110

GPS 120, speedo 124
    GPS 110, speedo 114

Checked many times always the same

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The 1st gen Leaf has a wider gap than that. Good that they closed it a bit. Alot of cars read 3-5 high so it looks like the new leaf is in line with them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Interesting point to note, I had an L24, and we now have a mk2 prius as our second car. Both overread similarly 5-6km/h+.
    The Tesla on the other hand is usually spot on, or +/-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Its been common enough even in my old banger before i changed.

i think its fair to say Tesla isn't following what the motor industry done for the last century. I hope they continue to break the mold.

• Advertisement

Have a 2014 Nissan leaf, in the boot it has a continental mobility kit.

https://imgur.com/a/SrQ7tA9

I know this kit is used to pump some gunk in the tyres etc

My question is, if your tyres are a bit flat and need a 'top up' could this device be used to simply pump up the tyres a bit with just air?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Have a 2014 Nissan leaf, in the boot it has a continental mobility kit.

https://imgur.com/a/SrQ7tA9

I know this kit is used to pump some gunk in the tyres etc

My question is, if your tyres area bit flat and need a 'top up' could this device be used to simply pump up the tyres a bit with just air?

Yes, just dont attached the bottle of gunk to it and it will pump just air like at a garage.

KCross wrote: »
    Yes, just dont attached the bottle of gunk to it and it will pump just air like at a garage.

nice one, was wondering would I damage the device without the gunk bottle attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭deepsilent

Hi guys im selling this leaf acenta 2015, if anyone is interested let me know.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-acenta-24kw-2015/25158734
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

nice one, was wondering would I damage the devices up without the gunk bottle attached.

You could use it on any car. Just the gauge on them is not too precise.

JPA wrote: »
    You could use it on any car. Just the gauge on them is not too precise.

Thanks. I was more so thinking that the device needs the gunk bottle inserted in to it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

deepsilent wrote: »
    Hi guys im selling this leaf acenta 2015, if anyone is interested let me know.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-acenta-24kw-2015/25158734
    Thanks!

Couldn't hurt to add a photo of the dash showing how many bars left.
    Also fully charged to show current range on the guessometer.
    GLWS

Couldn't hurt to add a photo of the dash showing how many bars left.
    Also fully charged to show current range on the guessometer.
    GLWS

Good call.

What are the markings on the boot, stickers is it

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭deepsilent

Good call.

What are the markings on the boot, stickers is it

Yeah, the girlfriend... I'll removed them as soon as possible.

Thanks for the suggestion about showing the bars and the range, ill do it.

• Advertisement

deepsilent wrote: »
    Yeah, the girlfriend... I'll removed them as soon as possible.

Thanks for the suggestion about showing the bars and the range, ill do it.

yeah. good idea regarding stickers

it would personally put me off, but maybe just me being anal :)

Advertisement