Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

josip wrote: »
    Just in case anyone had any lingering doubts about attaching a towbar to a Leaf.
    http://newatlas.com/nissan-self-driving-leaf-imv-oppama-tow/46778/
    Excellent find josip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

You must love reading your on Bull Sh**e BoatMad !

Mod note, banned for uncivilness (it's a word!)

Is this serious? For how long? ML is one of the biggest contributors to this group.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

EVs has lost its mojo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭TBi

n97 mini wrote: »
    Is this serious? For how long? ML is one of the biggest contributors to this group.

He's also the reason I almost stopped visiting the forum. At first I enjoyed his insights into the world of electric driving but now he's become more stubborn in the belief that anyone who questions electric cars is wrong. No discussion, no easing their anxiety, just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Water John wrote: »
    EVs has lost its mojo.

I don't think so. I've no problem with people disagreeing with anything anyone says, but only by constructing an alternative argument. Just one line slagging off , and it's the right action ( I learned this lesson on boards a while back )

Anyway we will all get banned for discussing moderation !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sorry, if my attempt at humour, missed the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Kennypants

KCross wrote: »
    The charger install is worth somewhere between €500-1000 depending on how you go about installing your own one.

The drive4zero campaign is not dependent on buying a new car.

An imported demo model leaf is as good as new as far as Im concerned and still has manufacturers warranty so little risk as you will be buying from a main dealer not a cowboy. Mine had 5000 miles on it and had 100% battery health at 1yr old and still does.

So, overall, is the free charge point that important?

No, it's not. And yes, I agree that nearly-new is as good as new. Better, in some ways.

But, fundamentally, I look at a car as a running expense. I need to keep that monthly expense as low as I reasonably can. I'm not interested in Bangernomics, we need a reliable car.

If a Nissan dealer here in Ireland can put a package together that gives me the lowest TCO, then I'll take it. Even if that's a PCP. There are some good offers available this month. That's what I've been mulling over this past week.
    Doesn't have to be if the OP puts some effort into sourcing an inexpensive one - and gets a local (reasonable) sparks to install. It's certainly not worth what they claim i.e. up to €1k!

If you have worked out that for the most part, 24kW would suit your purposes (95% of the time), get a used gen 1.5 - thats where the value is.
    As regards fx rate, I see that as a secondary issue. Been monitoring prices and it seems that prices have increased on used Leafs in the UK. I bought when the rate was gbp = €1.23 back in August. In between times, it seems to be harder to find a good deal on a similar Leaf. Doesnt mean you can't snag a good deal - might take a bit more work to do so - that's all.

You can buy now, make use of free charging (for however long it continues) - then body swerve the 30kW and when the time comes, upgrade to an EV with a far better range. The 24kW will still have residual value as it ages - i.e. will still be of use at smaller price point to a city dweller.

I think that depreciation on used Leafs will actually improve as EV ownership increases; when more people see that these are actually a perfectly viable (and, for some, superior) form of personal transport. I suspect a three-year-old Leaf will be worth more in the future than the equivalent car today. A used Leaf will be seen as a great second car by then.

By the way, for what it's worth, Alessia Glamorous Peddle has been very helpful to me. Perhaps he's a bit quick with the quips, but we're all grown-ups, surely.

It's the Internet, for goodness' sake. Not a cage fight. It'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Kennypants wrote: »
    Yes, I'll be using the granny cable. As I am (almost certainly) importing, that will be supplied as I think they are standard issue with UK Leafs. I'll pick up a Type 2 to Type 1 while there, or maybe I'll haggle one in as part of the deal.

Most will come with the granny in the UK. Usually the 6.6kW Leaf's come with the Type2<-->Type1 cable as well but be sure to ask.
    I still wonder about *relying* on public chargers for longer trips though, but perhaps it's not so bad. I'm living in Midleton and the two charge point areas are routinely blocked during the day, but perhaps this is not the case everywhere.

There were 2 points in Midleton and they ripped one out!
    The other one near the Supervalu is a disaster. Almost always ICE'd and I dont blame them. There is no signage or painting and the charger itself is surrounded by shrubbery so most people probably dont even notice its an EV bay.

Just to clarify, since your new, that charger is a destination charger and not a long journey type rapid charger. Do you know/understand the difference?

"I use public charging infrastructure once in a blue moon, so it really doesn't affect me. And you're going to love the cork benefits on drive4zero. Free parking in loads of places, all very well marked on street and in the multistories on the city."

I looked this up and it appears to only apply to those who buy their car with the SEI grant, but I intend to import. Does anyone know if this can be circumvented for those who import their cars from the UK?

What exactly are you referring to there? The grant or the drive4zero?

drive4zero doesnt require you to buy new or in Ireland. I used the Q-Park benefit again today in the City. Took the kids to the panto, parked the car in the Q-Park for over 3hrs and got a charge and free parking... thats worth close to €15 on that trip! Fingers crossed they keep that one going! :)

The grant is only applicable if you buy new from an SIMI dealer and its included/deducted in the dealers prices on their website(usually anyway).

The VRT relief is applicable if you import, i.e. you pay no VRT on a Leaf as its below the €5k limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

There were 2 points in Midleton and they ripped one out!
    The other one near the Supervalu is a disaster. Almost always ICE'd and I dont blame them. There is no signage or painting and the charger itself is surrounded by shrubbery so most people probably dont even notice its an EV bay.

I think the flooding at the bridge played havoc with that one. Regarding the other one, we were on to both the Esb and the council to paint it. No one wants to take responsibility. The ones in Youghal are very well marked and you never see an ICE in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

After reading most of this thread seeing others users saving money on there work commute I feel I am very much on the other end of mile wise.

I changed jobs 2 years ago and work 2 miles away , I cycle a bit in summer . Because of town congestion I go long way home in evening turning a 2 mile route into 5 , ( saves me 10 mins !!!!)
    I go to 2 Killarney and Tralee at weekends with kids , swimming and other small duties , 15/20 miles ish . I've been following the leaf since before its launch and have taken on test drive back in 2012 and fell in love with it .

I presently have a c4 which I intend changing next year as its getting old and I'm not buying another ice car for me as we have family diesel and I'm taking this as my opertunity to finally get my EV .

I'm thinking a 24 kW leaf would suit me perfect and should be able to find a great price on one , maybe even a 2011 /12 .
    I checked my local garage and see they have a 2013 at 15k , this seems very expensive .

Anyone have any advice for me .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Have a look at the UK market. The VRT is exempt up to 5000 and it only costs about 500 to get the car over. You could easily get a 131 for under €10000

I changed jobs 2 years ago and work 2 miles away , I cycle a bit in summer . Because of town congestion I go long way home in evening turning a 2 mile route into 5 , ( saves me 10 mins !!!!)
    I go to 2 Killarney and Tralee at weekends with kids , swimming and other small duties , 15/20 miles ish . I've been following the leaf since before its launch and have taken on test drive back in 2012 and fell in love with it .

You mileage is very small. At this stage, because EV's have not depreciated enough yet, it might make more economical sense to buy a cheap petrol? It depends on what you are willing to spend really.

If you do buy EV you will need to ensure you dont have the car spending most of its time at full charge.

A 2013 at €15k is expensive. Look at UK. Dealers here are still in denial.

If you are willing to spend the money get a Gen 1.5 (2014+). Better battery and a few other well known issues are also resolved in that timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

You mileage is very small. At this stage, because EV's have not depreciated enough yet, it might make more economical sense to buy a cheap petrol? It depends on what you are willing to spend really.

If you do buy EV you will need to ensure you dont have the car spending most of its time at full charge.

A 2013 at €15k is expensive. Look at UK. Dealers here are still in denial.

If you are willing to spend the money get a Gen 1.5 (2014+). Better battery and a few other well known issues are also resolved in that timeframe.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-100-electric/13454343

Actually it's a 2014 not 2013 sorry.

I have to say everything you have said I agree with , I have a small petrol engine car and its more than enough for me and I've been telling myself everything you said .

I'll probably end up keeping it another year or two , I also feel the range will increase a lot over next two years and then the 24 kW leafs will lose most of their value .

In meantime save save save .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

A bit better in that it will be mk 1.5 but it's the base model - that price is still out by €0,000's.
    I'll probably end up keeping it another year or two , I also feel the range will increase a lot over next two years and then the 24 kW leafs will lose most of their value .
    It depends on what your main motivation is but if you can put up with the limitations of it (for what are to you - occasional longer journeys), the 24kW will be the perfect fit for you. They've already shed a lot of their depreciation but you'll have to wait a bit longer still in order to justify the purchase (as you're not clocking up much mileage - so less in the way of fuel savings). I don't expect the 24kW to become obsolete for a while - as people who have a usage profile like yours will help it sustain a certain residual value as they get older.
    In meantime save save save .
    That just adds to your decision to hold back - no point in paying for finance if what you have right now is working out more economical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Live in mayo travel 83KM from home to work and back. Have some money set aside for a car and looking at a leaf, would a 30KW battery be enough to get me to work and back no bother? Max speed I'm driving at is 100 kilometre's.

Right now my 2003 Micra is costing about 200 euro a month in fuel costs and costs 1300 to insure per year (age: 22) which can only go down as far as I can see.. and if the Leaf can get me to work and back it's a no brainer.

I don't really travel further than work so no problems as long as it can get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

bottar1 wrote: »
    Live in mayo travel 83KM from home to work and back. Have some money set aside for a car and looking at a leaf, would a 30KW battery be enough to get me to work and back no bother? Max speed I'm driving at is 100 kilometre's.

At those speeds a 30kWh would do twice that.
    Right now my 2003 Micra is costing about 200 euro a month in fuel costs and costs 1300 to insure per year (age: 22) which can only go down as far as I can see.. and if the Leaf can get me to work and back it's a no brainer.

Your Micra is insurance group 7 - 15 and the Leaf is group 11 - 19 depending on trim. Your insurance may increase slightly. This can be limited by EV discounts with insurers like Zurich, though not all insurers offer such discounts.

If you get a nightsaver meter the cost of running the Leaf should be in the region of €13-20 a month (depending on your unit rate).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

I used to commute in rural Galway in first generation 24kwh 2011 LEAF on same distance (assuming that is 41.5km one way and 41.5km back), however once battery became old I would have to start saving power on heating during winter. It should be doable in improved 24kwh LEAFs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

we do a 140Km daily round trip commute , 70km each way , I tested the 24Kwh on that commute , It struggled , but given yours is nearly half that , it should be absolutely no problem

the 30kwh, will ace that

If you own you Micra then the leaf will cost you more that what you pay now, nwe V owned etc, however if looking to buy new then the running costs of the Leaf are extremely low.

I'd look to buy a 24 kwh 2nd hand, 2014+ or a 30 Kwh which only came out last March I think but it would save you a few K depending if there are any available, chances are there won't be many until PCP contracts expire in 2 years but you might be lucky, try the U.K.

You should be able to buy an SVE for about 12-14K , the battery in the 2014+ is vastly superior to that in September1's leaf.

You should have 30 kms range at 100 kms left in the 30 Kwh after 80 kms even in winter. Fast chargers can take care of any extra range you need, however the 30 Kwh charges a lot faster, it charges in the same time as the 24 Kwh to 80% however, the 30 Kwh at 80% if the same as the 24 Kwh at 100%.

If you can get the 30 Kwh do, you will appreciate the extra range and fast charging when you need it, I can't comment on battery life on the 30 Kwh but current indications suggest it is no worse than the 24 Kwh which is good and by that I mean it still degrades in the baking hot parts of the U.S.A but how fast or slow I don't know yet.

If you really want new then check out the Hyundai Ioniq, it's more efficient and has more kit and slightly better range than the 30 Kwh Leaf.

I do strongly caution about buying new right now, I would wait another year to see what is around, there is a 38 Kwh Leaf on the way this year which will also be more efficient. Hopefully the brand new model Leaf will be announced soon.

I would without doubt buy 2nd hand if you really want an EV now.

I have 57,200 kms on my 2 year old leaf now and it's showing no signs of any battery degradation, I am sure it has degraded a little bit but I do not see it nor does it show on leaf spy which is an app developed by techs in the U.S to monitor lots of goings on in the leaf.

So I would not be worried about 2nd hand leafs as much as I would the first gen, 2011-2013 (132 reg) so get a 2014 to be sure, the price difference won't matter much.

Oh and get the leaf with 6.6 Kw charger, the cost won't make much of a difference either and it is highly practical at standard street charge points, it means a lot less time waiting at fast chargers, plug in in town and in 2 hrs can get from 30 to round 90%.

I do strongly caution about buying new right now, I would wait another year to see what is around, there is a 38 Kwh Leaf on the way this year which will also be more efficient. Hopefully the brand new model Leaf will be announced soon.

Link? Thats a very definitive statement. Are you guessing again?

• Advertisement

No I am wrong, I was reading websites which said a 38 Kwh facelift is on the way,

You know, I am allowed to be wrong sometimes like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DB01

Hi looking for some advice please.

Is €13,850 a good cash price (no trade in) for a 151 reg uk import with 32k KM? It's the SV model. Would this have the 30kw battery as standard?

Thanks for any advice or comments.

DB01 wrote: »

Is €13,850 a good cash price (no trade in) for a 151 reg uk import with 32k KM? It's the SV model. Would this have the 30kw battery as standard?

What are you getting with it in the way of cables?

its a 151 so it won't be a 30kWh. They only came out on Dec 15.

Does it have the 3.3 or 6.6kW charger?
    What cables are included?

I paid £14k for a 151 SVE with 6.6kW charger in Apr '16.

Is €13,850 a good cash price (no trade in) for a 151 reg uk import with 32k KM? It's the SV model.

It's reasonable for a 24kWh 151 w/h 3.3kW charger (on-board charger built-in to the car). A good price if it's the 6.6kW. As it's a UK import it would be important to check out the pack using LeafSpy or get battery health report from a dealer. The Mark 1.5 Leaf's 24kWh pack is fairly bulletproof, I wouldn't expect any issue.
    Would this have the 30kw battery as standard?

No. 30kWh pack started delivery in the UK in late December 2015, with most not hitting the road until late January 2016. 30kWh pack is not standard on any trim in the UK and Ireland, it's a €3000 option.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DB01

its a 151 so it won't be a 30kWh. They only came out on Dec 15.

Does it have the 3.3 or 6.6kW charger?
    What cables are included?

I paid £14k for a 151 SVE with 6.6kW charger in Apr '16.

Is that stg14k?

I would have to check for definite which cables are included. I haven't seen the car and the dealer just said "all cables" so I'd have to clarify that.

Is that stg14k?

I would have to check for definite which cables are included. I haven't seen the car and the dealer just said "all cables" so I'd have to clarify that.

We paid about €14600 for a 152 sve (tekna). 6.6kw charger, granny cable (worth 300), type 2 to type 1 cable (worth maybe 120), and a 32amp charge point (worth maybe 280). A lot of value in those extra cables.

Is that stg14k?

Yes, sterling
    In today's money you are paying £12k so I don't think it's that good a deal particularly since it's 12mths later, an SV vs SVE and depends on whether it has the 6.6kW charger as well.

I think you could do better but come back and tells us about the cables and charger.

Maybe if you waited until the new reg in the UK in march. Prices tend to drop in April.

Is that stg14k?

The dealer's often don't know what they should come with. You need check 1st and check again at handover.

An Irish Leaf comes from the factory with only a Type 2 to Type 1 charging cable which connects the Leaf to a public chargepoint and a standard domestic EV chargepoint. The Type 2 connector is the european standard and is used for public charging in 50 countries (incl. every country in europe bar france (though france are now getting with the program)). It's outdoor rated and provides three to ten times the power of a three pin socket.

In the UK the Leaf comes with a cable that connects to the three pin socket but not the Type 2 to Type 1 cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Am I getting you right, £14k sterling for a 2 year old SV?

Not a great price IMO.

I paid £13,600 for a 1 year old SVE with 5,500 miles. That was in June 2015, the car is a July 2014, 6.6 charger and came with granny cable and public charger cable.

Advertisement