Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

unkel wrote: »
    Another one I've heard: it's dangerous because it's silent and no one can hear you. Heard that before?

Yes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCtpA67j4l8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Was over in Hyundai yesterday, and I think yer man said the list price for the Ioniq EV was €32k before grants.

I'll be talking to him again tomorrow to confirm, but if that's right, you're looking at €22k nett of grants, trade in deposit, or "haggling". Would be a fine car at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yeah, but when you go into Windsor Nissan (surely the biggest seller of Leafs in Ireland?), they have a new price list. Or more like a leaflet really. This was a few months ago when I test drove the car and fairly seriously tested the water in relation to pricing / discount

I was trying to keep the total all-in price to an absolute minimum and I specifically asked for the 3.3 kw charger. Only to be told it was not available any more and the price on the list was for one with the 6.6 kw charger (it did say 6.6 kw on the leaflet)

All-in price for cash (no trade in) was about €20k, with metallic paint and 6.6kw charger

That might simply be a case of that dealer having a stock of those rather than a case of 3.3kW no longer being available?

I've had no single issue with zero noise Ev over almost 6 years, 4 years Prius and nearly 2 driving the Leaf.

At 10 Kph and below people won't really hear and I am aware of this, this is why I beep the horn and most people don't seem to care or find it offensive in any way if it's just a tiny blip.

Quiet electrics is a non issue as far as I'm concerned.

I keep repeating that the real threat is people walking out in front of cars paying attention to their mobiles, with ear phones in they are not aware of their surroundings.

I've had an instance in the Woody's car park in carlow Town several months ago where an elderly lady was walking with her young Granddaughter texting and had no control over the child, not holding her hand and texting, she would have walked out under me if I hadn't have blipped the horn, the Child had more sense.

The U.S are supposed to pass a law to make electrics as noisy as petrol cars idling at slow speeds with no possible way to turn this noise making device off , absolutely ridiculous , one of the major benefits of electrics is the removal of noise pollution, yes noise is considered pollution as well as light.

Imagine the noise of thousands of cars making different electronic whines and noises ? it will be absolutely head wrecking.

Worse of all the anti ev brigade in the U.S want the noise makers to stay on even when the car is stopped in traffic.

Soarer wrote: »
    Was over in Hyundai yesterday, and I think yer man said the list price for the Ioniq EV was €32k before grants.

I'll be talking to him again tomorrow to confirm, but if that's right, you're looking at €22k nett of grants, trade in deposit, or "haggling". Would be a fine car at that.

I could be wrong but I'd say he is saying its that price before the €5k is taken off as the VRT is not a grant per-se. Its a tax relief.

There is only one grant and thats the SEAI one and thats €5k.

If I'm wrong, €22k is very good. I suppose it depends on spec as well as to whether its good or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

KCross wrote: »
    That might simply be a case of that dealer having a stock of those rather than a case of 3.3kW no longer being available?

No it wasn't. I was talking about a 171 plated car a good few months ago. So still had to be manufactured. I could pick any colour, etc.

My guess is that the 6.6 kw option only costs Nissan pennies extra to manufacture compared to the 3.3 kw one, and it wouldn't be in their benefit if their cars will get the stigma of being slow chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭highdef

and this always cracks me up " can it charge as it's driving ?"

Hilarious....as we all know that it certainly can and certainly does charge whilst driving.....everytime you take your foot off the accelerator whilst moving.

highdef wrote: »
    Hilarious....as we all know that it certainly can and certainly does charge whilst driving.....everytime you take your foot off the accelerator whilst moving.

Yeah but that's not what they mean, they mean so you don't have to plug it in to charge it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

KCross wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I'd say he is saying its that price before the €5k is taken off as the VRT is not a grant per-se. Its a tax relief.

There is only one grant and thats the SEAI one and thats €5k.

If I'm wrong, €22k is very good. I suppose it depends on spec as well as to whether its good or not.

So the €32k would be pre the SEAI grant, but post VRT relief?

No it wasn't. I was talking about a 171 plated car a good few months ago. So still had to be manufactured. I could pick any colour, etc.

My guess is that the 6.6 kw option only costs Nissan pennies extra to manufacture compared to the 3.3 kw one, and it wouldn't be in their benefit if their cars will get the stigma of being slow chargers

Interesting.

What is also happening is that they are now bringing out a limited edition black leaf for 2017 (upto Aug 2017) with different alloys etc.
    http://driveev.net/2016/11/08/nissan-reveals-stylish-leaf-black-edition/

This is a sure sign the current Leaf is at the end of its cycle so they will start giving the extras for free to shift the stock. Maybe Windsor are ahead of the game.

I'd say production for the 2018 model will be ramping up when they stop producing this limited edition next August.

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    So the €32k would be pre the SEAI grant, but post VRT relief?

Thats my guess. Please let us know what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

highdef wrote: »
    Perhaps theyre a little bit ahead of their time with their thinking :D

LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Leaf is only sold with the 6.6 kw charger these days and I could have brought one home for €20k incl metallic paint all in

I would guess that quote was for the lowest spec XE model, which I think only comes with a 6.6kw charger.
    The SV and SVE spec Leafs come standard with a 3.3kw charger, the 6.6kw is still a €900 optional extra AFAIK.

The lowest spec car kinda like having the highest spec? :p

Possible of course, but it doesn't make sense though, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The lowest spec car kinda like having the highest spec? :p

Possible of course, but it doesn't make sense though, does it?

A lot of people on the various FB groups seem to have met the chap from Hyundai with the Ioniq at charge points in the last week, myself included.

Nice car, lots of toys, base model *I think* will be slightly more expensive than the Leaf. But more toys are standard, if that's your thing.

Nice looking car too. I've grown used to the Leaf, so the Ioniq didn't strike me as a must have in the looks dept.

28kw battery and a claimed 280km range. That's hugely better efficiency per km than the Leaf so I'll believe it when I see it. I would expect in the real world it won't better the 30kw Leaf by much.

Regen braking has 4 different settings which is an improvement over the current Leaf (the regen in the Civic IMA is prolly better than the Leaf), so maybe that's where their numbers are coming from.

Charges from CCS points so it's competing with the Leaf for scarce DC chargers, not good. Can charge off AC but not sure at what rate. I don't think it rivals the Cloe, tho, and is prolly 6.6kw.

The Ioniq has a 7 kw charger as standard.

Efficiency won't be much if at all different than the current gen leaf with heat pump.

The 280 Kms figure comes from the farcical NEDC test which is a laboratory test that does not reflect real life driving.

Nothing affordable will beat the 40 Kwh Zoe for range. It also has a superb 44 Kw charger on board and can charge at 22 Kw from the AC charge points, extremely useful.

Zoe will have a real life 230-280 kms range.

The Ioniq has a 7 kw charger as standard.

I was close enough. Though 7kw is not really good enough in this day and age.
    Mad_Lad wrote:
    The 280 Kms figure comes from the farcical NEDC test which is a laboratory test that does not reflect real life driving.
    If I had thought of it I should have asked him what was *he* getting.
    Mad_Lad wrote:
    Nothing affordable will beat the 40 Kwh Zoe for range. It also has a superb 44 Kw charger on board
    Pity about the leased battery tho. Would put me off...

There is no info yet as to whether the 40 Kwh battery will be leased or not.

There is no info yet as to whether the 40 Kwh battery will be leased or not.

Sure. But as long as it's leased a lot of people will see it as (another) barrier to entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I've had no single issue with zero noise Ev over almost 6 years, 4 years Prius and nearly 2 driving the Leaf.

At 10 Kph and below people won't really hear and I am aware of this, this is why I beep the horn and most people don't seem to care or find it offensive in any way if it's just a tiny blip.

Quiet electrics is a non issue as far as I'm concerned.

I keep repeating that the real threat is people walking out in front of cars paying attention to their mobiles, with ear phones in they are not aware of their surroundings.

I've had an instance in the Woody's car park in carlow Town several months ago where an elderly lady was walking with her young Granddaughter texting and had no control over the child, not holding her hand and texting, she would have walked out under me if I hadn't have blipped the horn, the Child had more sense.

The U.S are supposed to pass a law to make electrics as noisy as petrol cars idling at slow speeds with no possible way to turn this noise making device off , absolutely ridiculous , one of the major benefits of electrics is the removal of noise pollution, yes noise is considered pollution as well as light.

Imagine the noise of thousands of cars making different electronic whines and noises ? it will be absolutely head wrecking.

Worse of all the anti ev brigade in the U.S want the noise makers to stay on even when the car is stopped in traffic.

I disagree: I've had a near miss with a pedestrian in a borrowed hybrid, driving on electric.

I'd draw a comparison to motorcycles and the slogan "loud pipes save lives" - on my own bike filtering etc is never an issue: on my wife's bike, a whisper quiet BeeEmm, pedestrians are constantly stepping out in front of it.
    Harley are launching an EV bike, and it's deliberately got a sound in it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    I disagree: I've had a near miss with a pedestrian in a borrowed hybrid, driving on electric.

I'd draw a comparison to motorcycles and the slogan "loud pipes save lives" - on my own bike filtering etc is never an issue: on my wife's bike, a whisper quiet BeeEmm, pedestrians are constantly stepping out in front of it.

I think it's about managing expectations. People now associate engine noise and cars, but with time that'll change. Personally I don't trust my ears to look towards the right for me anymore. I use my eyes now.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Sure. But as long as it's leased a lot of people will see it as (another) barrier to entry.

Depends, if you're doing little mileage it actually makes sense to lease the battery.

galwaytt wrote: »

I never said pedestrians don't walk out in front of me, I am conscious of the fact and use the horn if people can't use their eyes.

Pedestrians walked out in front of me when I drove ICE only cars/vans, the majority of pedestrians are knocked down/killed by ICE cars, so should we install big work van like amber flashing lights on every vehicle ?

I say make pedestrians take their headphones out and make it illegal to use mobiles on public streets, foot paths etc, this would do far more for safety.

So back to the Ioniq. Any news of when the launch is? I added my email to the Huyndai website but haven't heard back. I wouldn't mind having a good look and a drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Should be in Garages this weekend.

So back to the Ioniq. Any news of when the launch is? I added my email to the Huyndai website but haven't heard back. I wouldn't mind having a good look and a drive.
    I believe it's today. Press event was yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

https://youtu.be/0kZgYdKmIKA

Fullycharged review..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Scottie99 wrote: »

Fullycharged review..

Is it just me, but this guy just drives me crazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

grogi wrote: »
    Is it just me, but this guy just drives me crazy?
    Hey, don't knock Kryton!!!

7862709448_3960bfe7b5.jpg

• Advertisement

Scottie99 wrote: »

Fullycharged review..

So in the UK it's £700 cheaper than the 30kW Leaf

The latter is €27k list here. Does that mean we can expect the Ioniq to list for about €26k or does our VRT / VAT / subsidies distort this comparison?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement