Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,196 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

My friend just sent me a pic, the Hyundai dealer he works in has their demo for test drives available now.

Only has the hybrid though, not BEV.

So you actually have the option not to use inefficient regen ? excellent, about time. The flappy paddels are a great idea, brake when you need it coast when you don't.

I still wouldn't buy it, I'd rather wait and see what Nissan comes up with for 2018.

I do like it though and at 10:55 you can see the efficiency figures 4.3-4.9 Miles per Kwh, 4.9 over 140 miles trip. So it could indeed probably go to 120 miles before being low on battery but what speeds was it driven ? my best in the Leaf was 13.1 Kwh/100 kms or 7.63 Kms per Kwh or 4.74 miles per Kwh, however that was driving at 100-110 kph for about 65 kms and 60-100 Kph for the return 65 kms on some back roads.

If Renault offer the 40 Kwh battery with no lease in Ireland then I think it would be a bit mental to go with 28 Kwh unless you really don't like the Zoe and must have an EV this year.

I expect deliveries for December / January ? that's not long to wait until Leaf II comes along and I would bet this will be announced in Detroit in January, pure speculation of course.......

Hyundai did say they will offer battery upgrades as they see fit, however this should happen at launch if they can do it.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    My friend just sent me a pic, the Hyundai dealer he works in has their demo for test drives available now.

Only has the hybrid though, not BEV.

Really, why's that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,196 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Really, why's that ?

He says there are supply issues and not too many of the BEV around yet.

Bear in mind I live in the forgotten county so Dublin dealers will probably have more joy.

Or they probably though the BEV won't sell and decided to order more Hybrids ? as far as Irish people are concerned a car = having an engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Anybody any idea of the room in the back in either the Ioniq or the Leaf? Have a 8, 10 and 12 year old. Youngest still uses booster cushion. Never tried in the Leaf either.

Now we are used to big cars (BMW 5-series, Saab 9-5, Jaguar S-Type), so the family might find the car too cramped anyway, but if we're not gonna fit, I can drop the idea right now until bigger reasonably priced EV become available...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

unkel wrote: »
    Anybody any idea of the room in the back in either the Ioniq or the Leaf? Have a 8, 10 and 12 year old. Youngest still uses booster cushion. Never tried in the Leaf either.

Now we are used to big cars (BMW 5-series, Saab 9-5, Jaguar S-Type), so the family might find the car too cramped anyway, but if we're not gonna fit, I can drop the idea right now until bigger reasonably priced EV become available...

Good space in the Leaf. Not noticeably smaller than my old Lexus GS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Good space in the Leaf. Not noticeably smaller than my old Lexus GS.

More spacious than you would imagine. However, with the backdrop of what you've been used to driving, it's not really a fair comparison. Worthwhile dropping by a dealership and sitting in to one - to get a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

I think it's a bit yesterday offering 28 Kwh, why not 40 ? and it's pricey for 28 considering Renault are offering 40 Kwh for less, yes different class of car and the Ioniq is far nicer and cool gadgets, but 28 Kwh is a major disappointment and I am betting they will have a 40 + Kwh option by the end of next year or possibly sooner and 28 Kwh could be just until production ramps up and they might be testing the water but they could have offered more Kwh as an option at least.

I really think that we're on the verge of that magical range number by this time next year and if it were I looking to buy new now I would hold off at least until 2018, it's not that long. But I've no doubt whoever buys the Ioniq will be happy with it.

• Advertisement

€28.5k is higher than I expected. Plus metallic so about 29k. Say €25k cash (14% discount. I doubt I could get more than that)

That's a lot more than the €20k cash I could get the Leaf (metallic, 6.6 kw) home for

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

€28.5k is higher than I expected. Plus metallic so about 29k. Say €25k cash (14% discount. I doubt I could get more than that)

That's a lot more than the €20k cash I could get the Leaf (metallic, 6.6 kw) home for

That €20k was for the XE Leaf though, wasnt it? Not a fair comparison.

The Ioniq is the same spec as a Leaf SVE 30kWh with 6.6kW charger etc. When comparing it to that its slightly cheaper than a Leaf.

The Leaf SV is the most popular. Why didnt they offer a lower spec Ioniq to give a cheaper entry point. The big question is, will people spend the extra money for an Ioniq. I dont think they will. People dont value the price of the gadgets and/or dont have the money so I dont think there will be droves of people buying the Ioniq at €28k for a 28kWh battery.

It really needed a 40kWh battery to make it stand out. It could be a tough start for Hyundai and based on the previous post from one of their salesmen they dont have much knowledge about EV's either.

Another gotcha right now is lack of CCS charge points. Only about half the FCP's have CCS. Thats a big downside to buying a CCS car and who knows how long it will take eCars to start rolling out more CCS across the country.

KCross wrote: »
    That €20k was for the XE Leaf though, wasnt it? Not a fair comparison.

It is a fair comparison to me. I am the customer. I'm not going to spend 25% more for functionality I don't need (although the car is much better looking :p)

The extra range is useful, but not €5000 useful to me. The extra spec is nice, but not necessary (although I do like the wireless charging. Once you get used to that, it's hard going back)

I'm not a pioneer like most people in here who already own an EV. I am an early adaptor, I'm willing to overcome drawbacks with using an EV, but I need to be very well compensated for that (subsidy, low tax, low running cost, low purchase price). Most of this is available in Ireland, but the purchase price must be extremely sharp for me to take the plunge

If EV don't get enough early adaptors like me, the technology will not take off (as in 20% EV in the next 5 years)

This is where you need 60+ kwh so you rarely have to depend on public charging.

Most people won't be changing to EV until range is a minimum of 300 Kms, and there are far more models to choose and costs come down. So using public chargers will be rare enough and if you have to pay for it it most of your charging will be at home and 300+ Kms on your home charger is a lot.

I'd imagine Hyundai priced the car well with all the tech and have one spec to make the car appear a lot more attractive they do not realise or care that in Ireland we have to pay very high taxes and this is the real issue.

subtract 23% from the cost of any car and they become a lot cheaper.

28K - 23% = 21,560 so the real issue is the disgraceful amount of tax we pay.

I'd imagine Hyundai priced the car well with all the tech and have one spec to make the car appear a lot more attractive for an EV, they do not realise or care that in Ireland we have to pay very high taxes and this is the real issue.

As far as I'm aware they still apply VRT to electrics @14% after VAT and then the scum bags subtract 5 K grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I'd imagine Hyundai priced the car well with all the tech and have one spec to make the car appear a lot more attractive they do not realise or care that in Ireland we have to pay very high taxes and this is the real issue.

VAT is paid all over the Europe - that's not really the issue of high prices in here. Typically VRT is, but this hardly applies to EV with the 5 grand grant.

It is a fair comparison to me. I am the customer. I'm not going to spend 25% more for functionality I don't need (although the car is much better looking :p)

The extra range is useful, but not €5000 useful to me. The extra spec is nice, but not necessary (although I do like the wireless charging. Once you get used to that, it's hard going back)

Thats why Im saying they should have introduced an entry level model for that exact reason. Some people want cheap and cheerful. So take out the gadgets and give it to them at an affordable rate.... thats what the XE Leaf is.

Yeah they should cater for the Dacia buyers lol

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    VAT is paid all over the Europe - that's not really the issue of high prices in here. Typically VRT is, but this hardly applies to EV with the 5 grand grant.

Irish VAT is too high.

Yeah they should cater for the Dacia buyers lol

What does that mean?
    Dont you want Dacia buyers to ditch their diesels too?
    Irish VAT is too high.

Probably. But if you reduce it, taxes have to go up somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Just had a look at the Hybrid model, nice car!

Good size with a decent boot and plenty of spec, they have an EV version too but it wasn't out on floor yet, will have a look at it tomorrow as the dealer wants the opinion of an existing EV driver :D

He said they are seeing 180km to 200km on the EV which would be good for 28kw!

Just had a look at the Hybrid model, nice car!

Good size with a decent boot and plenty of spec, they have an EV version too but it wasn't out on floor yet, will have a look at it tomorrow as the dealer wants the opinion of an existing EV driver :D

He said they are seeing 180km to 200km on the EV which would be good for 28kw!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's only my opinion, but hybrids seem for people who cannot make the big leap. It's made for that market, a market that should in a sort time disappear.

Great to think that models non offer will mature to full scale needed in less than 2 years.

Water John wrote: »
    It's only my opinion, but hybrids seem for people who cannot make the big leap. It's made for that market, a market that should in a sort time disappear.

Great to think that models non offer will mature to full scale needed in less than 2 years.

I see a PHEV as my best option for the next 5 years or so, cost of a large battery EV is going to be a blocker for most for many years, it will be 2019 before 60kw really start to sell in numbers then another 3 or 4 years before any second hand ones are available in numbers so easily 5 years or more before they take off here

Accept your point, Villian. Agree it will take EV, 5 years to reach down to 2nd hand market.

Water John wrote: »

Im wondering will there be a market for PHEV, and Hybrids in general, longer than that. Some use cases I see....

1) Salesmen? Even with a 60kWh would that be enough for a days driving particularly since they wont be buying a small EV. They will be still buying their executive models which will be heavier so 60kWh wont go as far. Throw in some stock, sales materials etc in the boot.

2) If you take ferry trips? Lots of families take the car to UK or France once a year. I personally wouldnt want to take that trip in a pure EV for a while to come. Hiring an SUV for 2-3 weeks isnt economical.

3) It will be a long time before they get 300km range from a big SUV. A fully loaded 7 seater on a motorway at 120kmh wont get very far even with a 60kWh battery.

I think PHEV will be around for a while yet. The 60kWh's we are hoping for in 2018 are still small family hatch range of cars.

It'll probably take a change in battery technology to make that further jump.

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    What does that mean?
    Dont you want Dacia buyers to ditch their diesels too?

Probably. But if you reduce it, taxes have to go up somewhere else.

No taxes are too high in general, certain taxes are too high, lower VAT will encourage spending = more money in the local economy.

I was referring to Dacia being bog basic and some people like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement