Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

Thanks guys, had my first spin in an EV today, blew my mind tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

11214 wrote: »

All the flex models are priced cheap like this, even across the water because of the battery rental. £80 per month iirc.

What one did you drive today?

kceire wrote: »
    All the flex models are priced cheap like this, even across the water because of the battery rental. £80 per month iirc.

What one did you drive today?

It was a fluence, I really liked it but the range is to small.
    I'd really like a Leaf but I only have 11k to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Fluence is a disaster.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Fluence is a disaster.

We have 2 fluences in work.
    Grand cars, but the let down is the range alright. Be lucky to 60km from a full charge from my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,769 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Fluence is a disaster.

If it hadn't got battery lease, it would be fine for a lot of people who only ever do short trips / school runs. A 2012 Fluence for about €4k would be a nice second family car.

Fluence is a disaster.

Other than one trip I make a week I would have jumped on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,769 ✭✭✭✭unkel

How much was the seller looking for? And you know it's something like €1,000 per year to rent the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

You should be able to pick up a very tasty leaf for 11k.

just to keep you guys up to date on sales etc, I went to view a Tekna in Ken Lawford Motors yesterday, was advertised over the weekend, and it sold yesterday just after I left.

Quick turn around on the cars in my experience from looking at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

kceire wrote: »
    just to keep you guys up to date on sales etc, I went to view a Tekna in Ken Lawford Motors yesterday, was advertised over the weekend, and it sold yesterday just after I left.

Quick turn around on the cars in my experience from looking at them.

Could you tell us the price, year and mileage?

Apologies if I missed it.

650Ginge wrote: »
    Could you tell us the price, year and mileage?

Apologies if I missed it.

132 SVE
    Black
    UK car brought in my Ken Lawford Motors
    25k miles IIRC
    Looked in good nick
    3.3kw
    Advertised for 13,450, sold for 12,500

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Year?

Soarer wrote: »
    Year?

I thought the 132 gave it away ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

A good few leafs, leaves?, just gone up on done deal, there will be an auction in the next few days if anyone is interested, will be interesting to see what they go for. I'm having no luck selling on the fiesta, can't pull the trigger until then. Feel like I'm missing out on all this cheap and clean commuting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

A good few leafs, leaves?, just gone up on done deal, there will be an auction in the next few days if anyone is interested, will be interesting to see what they go for. I'm having no luck selling on the fiesta, can't pull the trigger until then. Feel like I'm missing out on all this cheap and clean commuting :(

what auction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

goz83 wrote: »
    what auction?
    It looks like Wilsons from perviewing donedeal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

goz83 wrote: »
    what auction?

Wilsons auctions independent dealers.

Hoping to get a 141 acenta, but will more than likely be looking across the border, not too sure will my 11k euro get me that when the time comes

Wilsons auctions independent dealers.

Hoping to get a 141 acenta, but will more than likely be looking across the border, not too sure will my 11k euro get me that when the time comes
    Set your sights further afield and across the water. You've a much bigger pool to choose from on the other island - and its cheap to bring back - cheap ryanair over and take Liverpool -Dublin back for €70 midweek. Better chance of snagging a better deal (too many people already going to NI driving prices up) and of getting the spec that you want this way (even for the whole of the UK, it's a small pool of cars you're looking at - around 300 on autotrader).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,798 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I just stumbled on this thread and I'm intrigued.

I'm looking to change my car and have about €12000 + my car (worth between €1500-€2000 on trade) to spend.

I've being looking at the Lexus CT200H Hybrid and to be honest never even considered a fully electric vehicle.

My typical days driving would be 6-8 ten minute journeys across a busy town. On top of that I would have about a 50 km journey three evenings a week. You could also throw in a 100km round trip every other week for work.

We have a Focus diesel in the house as well so any longer journeys we could obviously use this.

What are people's thoughts?

• Advertisement

Wilson's had a 141/2 SVE on Tuesday night. It sold, but I don't know what for.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts?

It's more important what conclusion you come to. You are likely to get enthusiasm for the idea here - given that many of us are driving EV's. What you set out looks very do-able. However, you need to be aware of the limitations, ups n downs of going this route.

What would your motivation be? i.e. save the planet or save € ?

Are you in rented accommodation or your own property? Can a chargepoint be installed?

It's very do-able - but you need to know what you're getting into - and at what point you should opt in i.e. what price-point/vehicle, etc.

Read back through older posts in this section. If specific queries arise, then ask away.

It's more important what conclusion you come to. You are likely to get enthusiasm for the idea here - given that many of us are driving EV's. What you set out looks very do-able. However, you need to be aware of the limitations, ups n downs of going this route.

What would your motivation be? i.e. save the planet or save € ?

Are you in rented accommodation or your own property? Can a chargepoint be installed?

It's very do-able - but you need to know what you're getting into - and at what point you should opt in i.e. what price-point/vehicle, etc.

Read back through older posts in this section. If specific queries arise, then ask away.

I was looking at a diesel Passat and am just unsure I need the diesel with the amount of short stop start journeys out weighing my longer journeys. If I need to travel to Dublin etc (I'm in Wexford) we can take the Focus so the range isn't a massive deal, I do know the Leaf should be fine to make Dublin as well.

All I want is something comfortable that will be easy to run and not cause to many problems. My fear with the diesel is a massive repair bill if a DPF/ERG goes etc.

I own my own house and there are plenty of ESB charge points around my local town.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I was looking at a diesel Passat and am just unsure I need the diesel with the amount of short stop start journeys out weighing my longer journeys. If I need to travel to Dublin etc (I'm in Wexford) we can take the Focus so the range isn't a massive deal, I do know the Leaf should be fine to make Dublin as well.

All I want is something comfortable that will be easy to run and not cause to many problems. My fear with the diesel is a massive repair bill if a DPF/ERG goes etc.

I own my own house and there are plenty of ESB charge points around my local town.

Seems a no brainer tbh.

listermint wrote: »
    Seems a no brainer tbh.
    My reaction also BUT he has to know exactly what he's getting in to.

Emmet: read back through the various threads on this forum. As you read, you'll understand a bit better of what's challenging about EV driving in Ireland and what you need to be aware of going into it. Examples off the top of my head - range anxiety, infrastructure anxiety (public chargers can often be offline), reporting integrity relative to the public infrastructure (worse than a charger being faulty, ecars don't react in real time (or even delayed time!) to reports of faulty chargers.
    The range that the manufacturer claims can NOT be achieved - it's not real world.
    Charging points may work perfectly well - but they may be blocked by people in petrol/diesel cars parking there.

Those are some examples - there are others.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My reaction also BUT he has to know exactly what he's getting in to.

Emmet: read back through the various threads on this forum. As you read, you'll understand a bit better of what's challenging about EV driving in Ireland and what you need to be aware of going into it. Examples off the top of my head - range anxiety, infrastructure anxiety (public chargers can often be offline), reporting integrity relative to the public infrastructure (worse than a charger being faulty, ecars don't react in real time (or even delayed time!) to reports of faulty chargers.
    The range that the manufacturer claims can NOT be achieved - it's not real world.
    Charging points may work perfectly well - but they may be blocked by people in petrol/diesel cars parking there.

Those are some examples - there are others.

Not being funny but I think their posts so far actually covered all that.....

listermint wrote: »
    Not being funny but I think their posts so far actually covered all that.....
    Not being funny either but he did start out with this;
    "I just stumbled on this thread and I'm intrigued."

I know when I started shopping for an EV, I hadn't a clue until I learnt from folks here and elsewhere. These things are boring to us - but are new to him. He needs to know them in order to make an informed buying decision.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll follow the forum and have a read of a few of the older/bigger threads. The only other thread I've read in here was the one of the review in the Irish Independent recently.

To me it just seems a decent option to consider at this stage given the amount of short journeys I'm doing.

Not being funny either but he did start out with this;
    "I just stumbled on this thread and I'm intrigued."

I know when I started shopping for an EV, I hadn't a clue until I learnt from folks here and elsewhere. These things are boring to us - but are new to him. He needs to know them in order to make an informed buying decision.

To follow the bolded bit I actually spotted the thread title on the home page and I just thought that maybe an EV might suit me. It's something I hadn't considered and the closet I had got to an EV was a Lexus hybrid :)

(PS this is how I got addicted to Philips Hue)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thanks for the info guys. I'll follow the forum and have a read of a few of the older/bigger threads. The only other thread I've read in here was the one of the review in the Irish Independent recently.

To me it just seems a decent option to consider at this stage given the amount of short journeys I'm doing.

As suggested, have a read but I'd also suggest you start a new thread with your questions otherwise you will be reading a very long time trying to find all the answers. Put your circumstances in the OP... Daily mileage, budget, type of driving, reasons for EV etc

The mod is working on some stickies which should make it easier but for now open a new thread.

Advertisement