Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

unkel wrote: »
    Aye, but hence the low price. I'd like to know exactly what it would take to make it road legal:D

Apparently EV conversions (of diesels etc. ) are relatively easy to certify in Ireland. Its typically the non EV parts that can cause problems. You need an automotive engineer to certify it. The vehicle in the ad may be missing some necessary additions like a horn. At least 3 or 4 conversions are road legal in Ireland. This may be better as track only car, but I would not buy without seeing it moving and charging otherwise you are buying someone else's failed project.

He is also selling a second (?) battery pack
    https://www.donedeal.ie/all?userId=851323

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Different battery pack (from the voltage of 96.2V he describes, I deduct this one is 26S2P, higher total voltage and a different chemistry) but could have been bought to "fix" the one in the car presently as motors and controllers can be fairly flexible with the voltage you present to them

Google the man's name and you get this:

Linky

And

Linky

"project manager Tom Finnegan moved to Roscommon and had "too much time on his hands". With a background in engineering and green energy, he designed a prototype electric car based on a Lotus body"

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭blobert

I think is the same guy that was behind this!

soika-2019.jpg

Eh, yeah. That was my point :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

zg3409 wrote: »
    He is also selling a second (?) battery pack
    https://www.donedeal.ie/all?userId=851323

Suit you Unkel

An Ioniq 38 for €1750

Fit in the boot?

I'm already sorted for my range extender (batteries + inverter + granny cable).

See my eBike thread ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Whats the better car from a range point of view?

2017 Ioniq 28kw
    2018 Leaf 40kw

I presume it’s the Leaf by a long shot.

Different battery pack (from the voltage of 96.2V he describes, I deduct this one is 26S2P, higher total voltage and a different chemistry) but could have been bought to "fix" the one in the car presently as motors and controllers can be fairly flexible with the voltage you present to them

Google the man's name and you get this:

Linky

And

Linky

"project manager Tom Finnegan moved to Roscommon and had "too much time on his hands". With a background in engineering and green energy, he designed a prototype electric car based on a Lotus body"

:)

More Linky:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/swift-composite-prototypes-electric-cars-3-3644490-Oct2017/%3famp=1
    Swift Composite Prototypes has been placed into liquidation.
    For a guy who was working on a road legal car I am surprised the car for sale does not even move nor is road legal. He possibly does not have the time to complete, but if anyone in the country could complete it, it should be him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

2017 Ioniq 28kw
    2018 Leaf 40kw

Leaf very slightly. The Ioniq is very efficient for its battery size but the lead trumps due to its bigger battery IMO.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Leaf very slightly. The Ioniq is very efficient for its battery size but the lead trumps due to its bigger battery IMO.

Ah ok. Thought the leaf would be streets ahead as way bigger battery etc.

High level, what car is best. Let’s say 2018 leaf or 2018 ioniq?

2017 Ioniq 28kw
    2018 Leaf 40kw

At 120km/h GPS speed on the motorway, I'd say the Ioniq has more range. On low speed / town driving the Leaf has more range. Leaf charges very slowly though, so on a long distance trip where you would have to charge, the Ioniq will do that trip quicker.

At 120km/h GPS speed on the motorway, I'd say the Ioniq has more range. On low speed / town driving the Leaf has more range. Leaf charges very slowly though, so on a long distance trip where you would have to charge, the Ioniq will do that trip quicker.

Ioniq seems to be more expensive too based on a quick gander at 2018 for both cars.

At home are both cars limited to about 7kw charging?

Ioniq seems to be more expensive too based on a quick gander at 2018 for both cars.

Ioniq is holding its value ridiculously well
    At home are both cars limited to about 7kw charging?

Yes.

Before you buy either car though, I'd urge you to read up a lot more about them from their threads here on this forum and to take them both out for a long test drive and range test. And see what car you prefer / suits you better. I'd say almost all owners of either car are happy with their purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Nice S85 with AP1 on Telsa site https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/used/5YJSB7H15FFP70262

2 years / 50k miles left on warranty.

£35,600

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

jhegarty wrote: »
    Nice S85 with AP1 on Telsa site https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/used/5YJSB7H15FFP70262

£35,600
    Nice
    And has the 7 seat pack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

It's sold already ;(

BigAl81 wrote: »
    It's sold already ;(
    still available for me
    496388.JPG

It's sold already ;(

Website seems to flip to Irish website and they say it is not available, but it is still available on UK site

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

zg3409 wrote: »
    Website seems to flip to Irish website and they say it is not available, but it is still available on UK site

+1

Still available on the UK site. Some browsers will auto throw you to the Irish site where it stares that it is sold.

• Advertisement

Jap Leaf is sold. I'm surprised it took what, maybe two weeks? Somebody got a bargain there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

jhegarty wrote:

Thanks for posting this.

I thought if the car had under 50k on the clock you got a 4 year warranty?

Also, do you think in early 2020 this type of car would have depreciated much further??

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Thanks for posting this.

I thought if the car had under 50k on the clock you got a 4 year warranty?

Also, do you think in early 2020 this type of car would have depreciated much further??

Thanks!!

Under 50k and up to 4 years old.

If either is over it's the extended warranty of 2 years.

I think the only thing that will depreciate the Model S is when a flow of second hand Model 3s start to appear.

Edit:
    If you want to drop to an S70 you can get a 4 year warranty for the same price range : https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/used/5YJSB7E19FF108155?redirect=no

jhegarty wrote: »
    I think the only thing that will depreciate the Model S is when a flow of second hand Model 3s start to appear.

I think they will depreciate (in the UK) as soon as a real flow of new Model 3 will enter the UK

Until then, I'm on the fence. I would love a facelift '16 90D like ELM327 got, but I don't really want to spend much more than €30k or so

I think they will depreciate (in the UK) as soon as a real flow of new Model 3 will enter the UK

Until then, I'm on the fence. I would love a facelift '16 90D like ELM327 got, but I don't really want to spend much more than €30k or so
    I agree, I think when the model 3 reaches US levels of supply, in the UK and here, that the S will depreciate a bit.

Used S (even 2012 ones with high miles) in the US are still hovering around $28-$30k so I don't see the ones in RHD hitting that mark for some time.
    And when they do, the non AP ones will drop first. They probably already have, no one wants to drop that amount of cash on a Tesla without at least AP1

Used car prices in the US are much stronger than they are here or in the UK for any car, so older cars over there keep their value better. We have more of a "dump it" cultural look at cars while they are more into maintaining and fixing them.

Used car prices in the US are much stronger than they are here or in the UK for any car, so older cars over there keep their value better. We have more of a "dump it" cultural look at cars while they are more into maintaining and fixing them.
    Usually yes I agree, but there's two distinct classes of car. The "fixit" one which is generally 15yrs+, and the white good car which is generally leased and then off the road in 8-12 years.

The tesla would be in the second category, as most were leased and you can't really do much maintenance yourself.

I don't agree the Tesla is in the second group, for a very similar reason to the one you are giving: they don't need maintenance, so they don't come across an expensive repair at some stage that makes them economically a write off (like above white good cars). Only a crash gets them off the road for good. I wonder how many of the original few model years Model S (2012-2014) are still road worthy? I wouldn't be surprised if that is well over 80%

• unkel wrote: »
    Not entirely true, I have family in a less well off rural county and there is a higher than average percentage of vehicles over 12 years old on the roads around there.
    Ireland is worse than the UK at the moment in throwing away cars!

• Advertisement

Not entirely true, I have family in a less well off rural county and there is a higher than average percentage of vehicles over 12 years old on the roads around there.

Didn't I say that too? :)

Average age of all cars on the road is lower in the UK and Ireland than it is in the USA

Advertisement