Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2017 Nvidia Shield

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Here is the shield for £159

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/buy/shield/shield-tv-16-gb/

Need to use a uk address and best payment option is Revolut but PayPal works also and obviously all major cards are accepted

:mad::mad: by the time i had filled out the long AP shipping address the price went back up to £189 on the final stage of the purchase:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

:mad::mad: by the time i had filled out the long AP shipping address the price went back up to £189 on the final stage of the purchase:mad::mad:

Showing out of stock stock now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Showing out of stock stock now

Showing stock for me, might chance my arm in sale tomorrow

Just got an email from them saying 'Oops I left somthing in my basket' showing the item with the reduced £159 price tag.

click on the proceed with order and its brings me back to my basket with £189 showing as the price :mad:

Theyre just rubbing it in now :o:mad::)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Just got an email from them saying 'Oops I left somthing in my basket' showing the item with the reduced £159 price tag.

click on the proceed with order and its brings me back to my basket with £189 showing as the price :mad:

Theyre just rubbing it in now :o:mad::)

Give them a call at customer services

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Here's a tip for new shield owners if they plan to use the youtube app a lot like I do.
    3 months ago Youtube changed their Android TV app to the one that runs on cobalt framework like on smart tvs and consoles. Basically they've gimped the Android TV version of the youtube app just so they can have all their apps running the same on every device out there. The problem is the new youtube app sucks for a variety of reasons.

This is what the new app looks like.
    youtube-trending.jpg

To get back to the old one you have to go here:
    Settings > Apps > YouTube > Uninstall updates

Your youtube app should then look like this which I much prefer:
    tXDITbPnT-Kf5IVbMIPDdg.png

If you prefer the old one and want to keep it you should go into the play store and under settings disable auto-updates for apps so the box doesn't update it to the new crap one again.

The only thing not working in the old app is live streams, but I have only ever wanted to watch one and for that I just chromecasted it from the youtube app on my phone to the shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Sparko

Picked mine up from PM this morning, setting up now. Time to start reading more about what this machine can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Sparko wrote: »
    Picked mine up from PM this morning, setting up now. Time to start reading more about what this machine can do!
    Pls share (here or via private msg) any good guides! Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Oat23 wrote: »
    Here's a tip for new shield owners if they plan to use the youtube app a lot like I do.
    3 months ago Youtube changed their Android TV app to the one that runs on cobalt framework like on smart tvs and consoles. Basically they've gimped the Android TV version of the youtube app just so they can have all their apps running the same on every device out there. The problem is the new youtube app sucks for a variety of reasons

To get back to the old one you have to go here:
    Settings > Apps > YouTube >
    If you prefer the old one and want to keep it you should go into the play store and under settings disable auto-updates for apps so the box doesn't update it to the new crap one again.

The only thing not working in the old app is live streams, but I have only ever wanted to watch one and for that I just chromecasted it from the youtube app on my phone to the shield.

Nice one. The latest versions of YouTube suck

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Pls share (here or via private msg) any good guides! Much appreciated!

I second that
    Could do with a work around for bbc I thingy
    Heard about a way but not too sure how to do it
    I used to have a vpn but it was I referring with banking and working from home

You are in an unusual location account frozen 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Does anyone know from previous experience weather this will go down in price tomorrow or Friday? I know it went down for an hour today will it drop again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭SickBoy

bozharry1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know from previous experience weather this will go down in price tomorrow or Friday? I know it went down for an hour today will it drop again?

Tomorrow is Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Newborn in house mind is frazzled

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

It’s 159.99 on Amazon now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Trigger pulled, works out £4 dearer getting it delivered to Ireland via Amazon as they apply vat differential between UK and RoI.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ricko187

would you recommend this if I already have an xbox one? I am looking to upgrade my android box for kodi and this maybe overkill. I dont think I will use it much for gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

ricko187 wrote: »
    would you recommend this if I already have an xbox one? I am looking to upgrade my android box for kodi and this maybe overkill. I dont think I will use it much for gaming

That's the question a lot of people are asking including myself.

Just pulled the trigger at 159 tho

Maybe it's overkill but it I work damn hard so why not treat myself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,914 ✭✭✭dodzy

That's the question a lot of people are asking including myself.

Just pulled the trigger at 159 tho

Maybe it's overkill but it I work damn hard so why not treat myself

Good price, didn’t think it’d go sub 160. Now go pull a sickie and get playing space invaders:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

ricko187 wrote: »

It's a good upgrade on most cheap as chips Android boxes because it runs the official Android TV and gets continuous support through ongoing updates. Most cheap Chinese Android boxes run a hacked touchscreen tablet version of Android designed to be used with the F fingers, this Android TV is designed for a big screen and a remote.

You should also check out three Xiaomi Mi Box, it runs Android TV also but at much less cost. Be sure to get a USB Ethernet adapter for it though

Started to set mine up last night
    Unit updated and controller updated, the remote control is ridiculously perfect the volume and voice control wow, moving around the menu options and using apps like YouTube works a charm
    As for kodi, I’m just baffled lol followed a few guides and they didn’t seem to work to set up what I wanted and it was getting late
    Try again this evening
    If anyone has any tips and tricks for kodi drop me a pm.

• Advertisement

mad m wrote: »
    It’s 159.99 on Amazon now

Got it thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Finally pulled the trigger with amazon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

£143.00 for the Remote only model. Thinking I might get that plus a 6 euro Bluetooth controller for minimal emulation / gaming I might play, e.g.

https://www.lightinthebox.com/bluetooth-dualshock-3-wireless-controller-for-ps3_p1717360.html?prm=1.5.4.0&prm=1.5.4.0

doylefe wrote: »
    £143.00 for the Remote only model. Thinking I might get that plus a 6 euro Bluetooth controller for minimal emulation / gaming I might play, e.g.

https://www.lightinthebox.com/bluetooth-dualshock-3-wireless-controller-for-ps3_p1717360.html?prm=1.5.4.0&prm=1.5.4.0

Dont do it imo

The Nvidia controller and remote are a joy and well worth the extra few quid. Besides the controller acts as a Goggle Home listening device, so even more bang for your buck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

doylefe wrote: »

The sheild controller is very good. If the remote and controller one is 159 on Amazon then it’s a no brainier.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

iggy wrote: »
    Finally pulled the trigger with amazon.

Me too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Me too!!

Me three.

Even opted for the quickest delivery option. An extra €9 to have it here Wednesday.

Started to set mine up last night
    Unit updated and controller updated, the remote control is ridiculously perfect the volume and voice control wow, moving around the menu options and using apps like YouTube works a charm
    As for kodi, I’m just baffled lol followed a few guides and they didn’t seem to work to set up what I wanted and it was getting late
    Try again this evening
    If anyone has any tips and tricks for kodi drop me a pm.

if you already have stuff on your local network then plex is the best solution and far better than kodi at this.
    Kodi is brilliant for adding streams/channels etc which you want to watch for free.
    So if you have local content =plex.
    Stream= kodi.

Blazer wrote: »
    if you already have stuff on your local network then plex is the best solution and far better than kodi at this.
    Kodi is brilliant for adding streams/channels etc which you want to watch for free.
    So if you have local content =plex.
    Stream= kodi.

no local content here sadly, i have a couple of things going on kodi now and its doing well, just a matter of getting used to it really.
    child free house this evening so i should be able to concentrate.

another query i have, i watched the video posted previously using the old school emulator, id love to know how and where to get a small games collection for that, i noticed the fella had a massive collection on an external

• Advertisement

no local content here sadly, i have a couple of things going on kodi now and its doing well, just a matter of getting used to it really.
    child free house this evening so i should be able to concentrate.

another query i have, i watched the video posted previously using the old school emulator, id love to know how and where to get a small games collection for that, i noticed the fella had a massive collection on an external

i really must check that out too...all my shield is run plex for my nas and stream to the tv's in the house. hmmm..one for the kids gaming would be good alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement