Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2017 Nvidia Shield

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

There have been firmware updates for the remote. Worth looking at. Mines on v1.11. You can see it in settings/Shield Accessories/Sheild Remote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Oat23 wrote: »
    The title is for the Mi Box 3s and the pictures are a mix between 3s and Mi TV box pictures. The description is for the Mi TV.

Too much of a headache. Who knows what box you are gonna get.

I ended up ordering this one from GearBest. It arrived yesterday. Had a short play around with it last night setting up Kodi. So far I am super impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

So if you don't game is the Mi Box a better option at around 1/3 of the price? It is also running Android TV, does 4K etc and the reviews on youtube look really positive.

I endorse the Mi box. Very smooth. It's the first tv box I've had that doesn't involve any hacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

pbyrneirl wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Media-Streaming-Device/dp/B01NBJ6KZY/

Does anyone have any problems with the remote not being very responsive? Quiet often it takes a while to react to button presses.
    Thanks.
    moonboy52 wrote: »
    Assuming your remote is the 2017 model (have the 2015 non removable battery model myself), I'm pretty sure I read someone on Reddit, saying that a new battery, solved the lag remote issue. Not 100% on that, but it MAY help you

I've done lots of tests and came to the conclusion that the remote problems are caused by interference. The remote operates on the 2.4GHz band like a lot of household items including routers. Unfortunately for me I can pick up a signal for at least 12 routers on my phone in the room I keep my Shield box. I brought the box to the other end of the house where I can only pick up a signal for 2 routers and I am away from everything else 2.4GHz and the remote works fine there. Also worked fine at my relatives house when I brought the box over to watch a sporting event a few months ago. I suggested a couple of lads from reddit try turning off their routers and anything else 2.4GHz (home phones..) to check and their remotes performed better for them too.

The controller doesn't operate on the same frequency and does not have the same problems so I just use that.

Tried changing the batteries etc..it's frequency interference in my case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Not a massive discount here either, but €20 cheaper after delivery than the same version is on Amazon.

Alzashop are selling the 2017 16GB with remote for €176.93 + €6.90 postage. It is €183.83 delivered.
    https://www.alzashop.com/nvidia-shield-tv-2017-only-with-remote-control-d5117819.htm

It is £179/€202 on amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-16-SHIELD-Streamer-Remote/dp/B075TBK232/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭robertowjr

Suckit wrote: »
    Not a massive discount here either, but €20 cheaper after delivery than the same version is on Amazon.

Alzashop are selling the 2017 16GB with remote for €176.93 + €6.90 postage. It is €183.83 delivered.
    https://www.alzashop.com/nvidia-shield-tv-2017-only-with-remote-control-d5117819.htm

It is £179/€202 on amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-16-SHIELD-Streamer-Remote/dp/B075TBK232/

Thanks I'm on the lookout for those, probably will wait until Black Friday and see if I can get a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭dodzy

Bugger, got my hopes up. No gamepad :(

£189 on AMZ for the complete 16gb kit. Have a price alert on Camel so hoping it hits £169 for Black Friday and I'll pounce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I'm late to the game with the Shield but for anyone else on the fence, the Nvidia is a seriously good machine and, IMHO, the only Android box worth having.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭dodzy

Savman wrote: »
    I'm late to the game with the Shield but for anyone else on the fence, the Nvidia is a seriously good machine and, IMHO, the only Android box worth having.
    Yep, it appears to be alright. Just finding it hard to justify spending over €200 on one. That said, I've already put my order in from the wife for Christmas. If it doesn't drop, I'll still be unboxing it on Dec 25th ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

dodzy wrote: »
    Yep, it appears to be alright. Just finding it hard to justify spending over €200 on one. That said, I've already put my order in from the wife for Christmas. If it doesn't drop, I'll still be unboxing it on Dec 25th ;)

That will disappear once you get one. Trust me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

The Shield is brilliant.

I'm sure a few of us bought the 2015 model on Black Friday 2 years ago.

Oreo, has practically being confirmed. Best Android-esque device i have owned for updates

If a Gamer, then it is the icing on the streaming cake

I wasn't sure about getting one either back in January as I already had a Mi Box but it was so worth the upgrade. It just got a native ITV Hub app a few days ago as well (you need a DNS service to watch it from Ireland though).

Fantastic for retro gaming (RetroArch app) as well as all your TV needs.

edit: I see I have already commented on this thread months ago saying almost exactly the same thing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

edit: I see I have already commented on this thread months ago saying almost exactly the same thing :o

It was as true back then as it is now Oat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

I wasn't sure about getting one either back in January as I already had a Mi Box but it was so worth the upgrade. It just got a native ITV Hub app a few days ago as well (you need a DNS service to watch it from Ireland though).

Fantastic for retro gaming (RetroArch app) as well as all your TV needs.

Is that the same MI TV box with Android TV that people seem to be suggesting is close to as good as the shield?

cronos wrote: »
    Is that the same MI TV box with Android TV that people seem to be suggesting is close to as good as the shield?

Yes. The Mi just has less power. Still use 2 of them for other TVs for Plex, netflix & stbemu and they are a great purchase at €80.

The shield feels smoother overall but you'd expect that at over twice the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Yes. The Mi just has less power. Still use 2 of them for other TVs for Plex, netflix & stbemu and they are a great purchase at €80.

The shield feels smoother overall but you'd expect that at over twice the price.
    Can't fault the mi box 4k. Got one last week and it's flying. Using smart iptv app, stbemu, and other apps. Was thinking I'd need a ethernet adapter but it hasn't missed a beat over WiFi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

iggy wrote: »
    Can't fault the mi box 4k. Got one last week and it's flying. Using smart iptv app, stbemu, and other apps. Was thinking I'd need a ethernet adapter but it hasn't missed a beat over WiFi

Somewhat off topic, but out of curiousity what do you use stbemu for?

I have an original Nvidia Shield and it has been worth every penny. Currently undertaking a bit of a project to enable playback of iTunes content which would make it even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Somewhat off topic, but out of curiousity what do you use stbemu for?

I have an original Nvidia Shield and it has been worth every penny. Currently undertaking a bit of a project to enable playback of iTunes content which would make it even better.

I use it for iptv. It basically makes it look and work like a mag box

What iggy said. stbemu emulates a mag box. Shield with stbemu is better than an actual mag 254 as well because of the extra ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

I always learn something new in these formus. cheers guys
    time to pop the kids in front of the ipad and start fiddling with my mi box for a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Do these tend to be in stock in many places? Wouldn't mind picking one up today if I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Essien wrote: »
    Do these tend to be in stock in many places? Wouldn't mind picking one up today if I could.

Might be worth waiting a week...the 11/11 sales might get you a few euro off

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Might be worth waiting a week...the 11/11 sales might get you a few euro off

I do not think that the 11/11 sales are outside China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

I do not think that the 11/11 sales are outside China.

Black Friday isn't too far away

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    I always learn something new in these formus. cheers guys
    time to pop the kids in front of the ipad and start fiddling with my mi box for a bit

If you have any questions you can PM me for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

If you have any questions you can PM me for help.

Thanks oat23 for the PM replies and support over the past 24 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Does stbemu allow you to record IPTV? And does it work with all IPTV providers?

Does stbemu allow you to record IPTV? And does it work with all IPTV providers?

We're drifting towards something that will get the thread locked by an overzealous mod now but no you can't record. At least I don't know any server that allows it on mag/stbemu.

You don't need a recording feature on some servers. The one I have for example has a 7 day catch up service so I could go back and watch anything I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The Shield really is in a league of its own compared to other boxes I've owned in the past, the speed, the reliability, the way everything just 'works' with little to no modding and hacking to get stuff to load (native play store etc)

Mine is used mostly for Netflix, casting stuff, retro games emulators and plex.

Only realising the magbox thing was possible from reading this thread. (That'll keep me busy this evening)

I've had it best part of 8 months now, I'm prob only scratching the surface of its true potential and capabilities, but it is hands down, my favourite and best buy I have made in quite some time.

Anyone that sees mine in action wants one of their own.

Don't consider getting one. Just buy one. You will definitely not regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

yep its a great box it just works! fair play to Nvidia for continuing to support the original box that I have (got it in the Amazon Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale 2 years ago), I use it for Netflix YouTube IPTV etc! Nothing can really come close to touching it! Highly recommended for those who know what their doing and willing to pay the price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement