Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Nvidia Shield

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

yep its a great box it just works! fair play to Nvidia for continuing to support the original box that I have (got it in the Amazon Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale 2 years ago), I use it for Netflix YouTube IPTV etc! Nothing can really come close to touching it! Highly recommended for those who know what their doing and willing to pay the price.

They have to support it. It's a console, it's important for them to ensure everyone is updated and on the latest version. For this reason it's a good buy even if you don't play games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭larchielads

So lads what version should I get???? Think of askin herself to get it for me from santa?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

So lads what version should I get???? Think of askin herself to get it for me from santa?

Santa not stocking them this Crimbo:D:D:D

Get the small one and get a decent 64 or 128GB USB3 thumb drive to use as adopted storage. Only get the big 500GB one if you plan on running it as a Plex server as Plex will only save to internal storage giving you a max of 15GB for metadata.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Can anyone tell me via PM the best location to connect your SBTEmu emulator box to allow you to source IPTV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

The last 2 android boxes ive used for Kodi when on the big screen have all had a dull dark shadowy pic no matter how much i adjusted the settings. even on netflix the 4k stuff was grainy and dull. Would you recommend the MI Box for a good picture

• Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

kod12 wrote: »
    The last 2 android boxes ive used for Kodi when on the big screen have all had a dull dark shadowy pic no matter how much i adjusted the settings. even on netflix the 4k stuff was grainy and dull. Would you recommend the MI Box for a good picture

The problem with the likes of the Chinese android boxes is that they won’t pay the licence fees to Netflix for HD/4K app therefore you get a poor SD picture on the base app they use! Mi Box does support HD/4K according to what I could find on the Net, so you will see a vast improvement in picture quality if you get one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I had a Shield for a few days before returning it. I can't recall, does the prime video app on the shield work with the Irish primevideo.com? i.e. if I log in with my amazon.co.uk account the app will display and play content available in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭SachaJ

doylefe wrote: »
    I had a Shield for a few days before returning it. I can't recall, does the prime video app on the shield work with the Irish primevideo.com? i.e. if I log in with my amazon.co.uk account the app will display and play content available in Ireland?

No because the content is geoblocked so no box will do that without a VPN

SachaJ wrote: »

Yet the Prime Video app on my phone works no bother with primevideo.com!

• Advertisement

Yet the Prime Video app on my phone works no bother with primevideo.com!

As far as I know it’s different content on that compared to the UK site.

£10 off the Shield on Amazon.

As far as I know it’s different content on that compared to the UK site.

I know, what I'm saying is the phone app is smart enough to distinguish between the UK and Irish versions where as the TV app doesn't seem to be.

Are you sure the TV app on the shield doesn't work with Irish version? I'm almost sure it did from what I remember. Maybe I just browsed the titles and didn't actually attempt to play anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

A DNS service is a far better choice for region switching when you are using something like a Shield. You can put the DNS info in your router or directly in the shield by disabling DHCP mode in the network settings and switching to a static IP. That menu offers the option of adding a manual DNS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Patww79 wrote: »
    There's a prime app for the shield that works grand.

Yes Prime Video works fine on the Shield in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

£10 off the Shield on Amazon.

Wait till the 24th.......or buy now. Decisions, decisions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

dodzy wrote: »
    Wait till the 24th.......or buy now. Decisions, decisions :)

I'm the same. Santa bringing me one so think I'll wait and see.

iggy wrote: »
    I'm the same. Santa bringing me one so think I'll wait and see.
    He's bringing me one too....but I have to buy it and the wife is reimbursing me. Don't care....either way, it's coming!

dodzy wrote: »
    but I have to buy it and the wife is reimbursing me.

So where does Santa come into it?

• Advertisement

So where does Santa come into it?
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Has there been any talk of a possible new version being released after Christmas? I've held off buying one this long, I'd hate to finally give in and see a new model a few weeks later.

JohnK wrote: »
    Has there been any talk of a possible new version being released after Christmas? I've held off buying one this long, I'd hate to finally give in and see a new model a few weeks later.

I highly doubt it. Maybe in 2019.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

JohnK wrote: »

Strictly speaking a new version came out earlier this year. But in reality it is much the same as the older one (in some ways the older one is better) and the older one gets all the same updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

bk wrote: »
    Strictly speaking a new version came out earlier this year. But in reality it is much the same as the older one (in some ways the older one is better) and the older one gets all the same updates.

No comparison with the new and old controller, new one is really sleek and comfortable, parents have the old one and it feels so clunky compared to it.

The Shield runs the Nvidia Tegra X1 chip, it's not going to be out dated any time soon. It's a very ample quad core Arm CPU with a 256 core GPU. The same chip is in the latest Nintendo Switch console

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-x1-processor.html

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

KilOit wrote: »
    No comparison with the new and old controller, new one is really sleek and comfortable, parents have the old one and it feels so clunky compared to it.

Do mean remote or game pad?

I use a lovely Logitech Ultimate remote with mine and I don't game on it, so I wouldn't have noticed.

bk wrote: »
    Do mean remote or game pad?

I use a lovely Logitech Ultimate remote with mine and I don't game on it, so I wouldn't have noticed.

The game pad is much improved.

The game pad is much improved.

Ah, fair enough, I don't game on it. I assume you could just buy the new gamepad for the old one and have the same experience. Given that I paid just £99 for mine, even with buying the new pad it would still be cheaper then the current price for the new one!

The point anyway is that I wouldn't be expecting a big update for a few years.

• Advertisement

The 2017 Shield uses 6-8 watts in standby / sleep. Legislation says it cannot use more than 0.5 watt in standby. It's a wonder they are allow sell it at all.

What's the power consumption like on the older model?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement