Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C64 Mini

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Mr E wrote: »
    Most games are less than 128kb and there were about 10,000 commercial titles on the C64 (according to wikipedia). That is just over a gigabyte by my maths (but probably much less). You're not going to need massive storage here.

Plus I'd rather cherry pick 200 great games than have a library full of crap. :)

I think I've the full library on my IEC2SD and the card in it is a freebie 2/4GB SD card that came with a phone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Preordered at lunchtime in Smyths for €20 anyway... something to look forward to in the new year. :)

The guy who took the order asked me if they're any good. I think realistically, you need to have grown up with a C64 to appreciate it.

To everyone else, they aren't going to look very appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

The thought of buying one of these is nice, but since I have the real deal and a 1541 Ultimate II cart i have no real need! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Is it just me or does this look like a similar joystick and idea?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/C64_Direct-to-TV

Similar list of games too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looks to me like an expanded one of those with an added HDMI out.
    It is similar too in that it is an actual functional C64 embedded in that stick, highly moddable for a keyboard and external storage.
    Seems, perhaps, that this new device amounts to the older device with the actual mini breadbin replica housing a usb hub, hdmi out and maybe storage.
    I suppose, if it isn't broken they don't have to fix it at all.
    That the controller is identical is a bit of a giveaway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Paradroid, you catch me once again in your cold robot like grip..

The case looks great, you could pop, ahem, a Pi in there..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭banie01

No Flimbos Quest, Last ninja, T2 or International karate! I'm out!
    On a serious note, seems a lovely bit of kit!
    A microswitched joystick is a must tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭Inviere

"...has various filter options to make your expensive new telly look like a rubbish old one."

Eh, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Run down video here. Quite useful I think.

This bloke is really weird and definitely love him/hate him in Spectrum circles, but he's on side with Paul Andrews so has good access to the C64 mini.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Interesting video thanks.
    So you can add games easily.
    Why doesnt anyone at the games conference use the joystick though?
    Also that dev board looks to be a different orientation than whats in the actual c64 mini.
    HDMI and power are not perpendicular to the usb ports.
    Will probably get one though :)

• Advertisement

So glad I preordered now, can't wait to play it. So it's a real C64, not emulated? Very cool!

Anyone know what the music during the video was? Sounds like a Back In Time/Sidologie track but I don't recognise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Would like to get my hands on the soft aid tape again. Hope someone gets this out soon. Playing falcon patrol, gumshoe, gilligans gold and the others in 2018. Sweet as a nut.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had it on the Spectrum, it was one of those games that no one liked to see pirated because of the cause.
    But it was a great compilation.
    Spectrum
    • SpellBound
    • Starbike
    • Kokotoni Wilf
    • The Pyramid (video game)
    • Horace Goes Skiing
    • Gilligan's Gold
    • Ant Attack
    • 3d Tank Duel
    • Jack and the Beanstalk
    • Sorcery

C64
    • Gumshoe
    • Beamrider
    • Star Trader
    • Kokotoni Wilf
    • China Miner
    • Gilligan's Gold
    • Fred
    • Gyropod
    • Falcon Patrol
    • Flak

3D Tank Duel, Kokotoni Wilf and Ant Attack just brilliant, Starbike and Jack and the Beanstalk can go die in hole filled with fire.

Kokotoni Wilf was the first game I played on my C64. Christmas 1985 I think. Hard as nails and it was possible to lose all your lives in seconds if you entered a room from the wrong angle.

I'm proud to have finished it the old fashioned way (with skill!)

I may have "poked" my way to success on the Speccy one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I had it on the Spectrum, it was one of those games that no one liked to see pirated because of the cause.
    But it was a great compilation.

3D Tank Duel, Kokotoni Wilf and Ant Attack just brilliant, Starbike and Jack and the Beanstalk can go die in hole filled with fire.

Still got my original copy!

2a7e8aa.jpg

Firefox11 wrote: »
    Still got my original copy!

2a7e8aa.jpg

That's what we need in retro gaming, Full Commitment!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

Will there be the option to buy a second joystick?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I see there's talk of an Amiga Mini now from the crowd who do the Amiga Forever software.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Danick

DinoRex wrote: »
    I see there's talk of an Amiga Mini now from the crowd who do the Amiga Forever software.

I would definitely buy that!

• Advertisement

You could buy a Mist Fpga if you wanted a Amiga, ST, Commodore 64 and whole heap of other cores too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,269 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

You could buy a Mist Fpga if you wanted a Amiga, ST, Commodore 64 and whole heap of other cores too.

where do you get the fully assembled one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Skerries wrote: »
    where do you get the fully assembled one?

http://amigastore.eu/en/358-mist-13-plus-midi-fpga-computer.html

Not cheap

KeRbDoG wrote: »

Yeah, and that initial price of around €220 is bare bones, doesn't get you a tv connection or power supply or set up sd card, or mouse and keyboard (though probably have these already) . So probably another 30 or 40 euro at least on top.

Shame because they look a great bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Skerries wrote: »
    not pretty either

Nothing a bit of spray paint and glitter wouldn't fix

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Just got an email from Amazon telling me that the C64 Mini will be in stock on Feb 8th 2018 :)

Amazon page has been updated to include the release date as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Just got an email from Amazon telling me that the C64 Mini will be in stock on Feb 8th 2018 :)

Amazon page has been updated to include the release date as well .

Hmmm....round about the same time the spectrum next is due out. Let the 8-Bit wars recommence!!

it's like the playground in the 80's again

1719521_orig.jpg

• Advertisement

Firefox11 wrote: »
    Hmmm....round about the same time the spectrum next is due out. Let the 8-Bit wars recommence!!

Well the Spectrum Next piddles all over the C64 mini, but it does cost more. Being Fpga the Next does a million and a one things more than the mini which is a glorified emulator. The Next could even be a C64 if it wanted. I know some people like brown n blocky :pac:

So no contest with those two :)

Advertisement