Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C64 Mini

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Collecting mine in smyths in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 55,434 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Getting mine at lunchtime in Smyth's.

Can't believe that GameStop are charging €99 for it. There should be decent supply (at the RRP of €79.99) everywhere.

https://www.gamestop.ie/Platform/Games/66187

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mittimitti

anyone know if argos will have them
    8339515 is meant to be the number

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Amazon have mine down with a delivery date of April 6th :mad:

Ordered last October .

I'm guessing that Amazon Prime customers get priority .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

getting mine later today, looking forward to it.
    Did click and collect smyths blanch firs thing this morning , 5 left at that time.

• Advertisement

Dispatched from Amazon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

does the actual keyboard on it work or do you have to plug in a usb keyboard?

TinCool wrote: »
    does the actual keyboard on it work or do you have to plug in a usb keyboard?

The keyboard doesn't work . You have to plug in a usb keyboard .

There's a full size version coming later in the year with a working keyboard .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Danick

Well guys - what's the verdict? Amazon order arriving tomorrow morning - can't wait!

mittimitti wrote: »
    anyone know if argos will have them
    8339515 is meant to be the number

There now for €69.99. That's the cheapest so far....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Had a good mess around with it yesterday.
    Has great potential is what I would say.
    Joystick is awful but possibly is the same as what it was back in the day I'm just so used to modern controllers now.

I tried using a bluetooth usb dongle and an old ps3 controller but no joy.
    I think those bluetooth mini keyboards work when plugged in via usb.

I played crazy comets and it was pretty good, everyone's a wally was also great fun, how did anyone ever complete that game !! (or did they)

overall i'm impressed, if they keep updates coming it should be a great little machine.
    I couldn't get my own rom's loaded, followed the instructions, renamed the file etc but no luck, not sure if it was the rom itself (a certain multiloader game from system 3 that I was dying to get working)

Looking forward to hearing what others think of it....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

With Everyone's a Wally and Pyjamarama before it, people really only got through it with guides, published in the games magazines of the time.
    I played them, badly, on the Spectrum back in the day.

I have my Switch plugged into a second monitor in my office with a HDMI switcher to switch between PC and Switch. With the Switch, I plug in a set of USB speakers into the headphone jack and it works great.

I wanted to do the same with the C64 Mini, but it crushed me when I realised that there was no headphone jack. (Yeah I know, why would there be? :rolleyes:). I was too lazy to go and hook it up to the TV downstairs, but I think I'm going to get less mileage out of it unless I can play it in my office.

I also have a feeling that something like Hakchi will come out with a custom solution before the C64 Mini developers will manage it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, a campaign for a Commodore forum about to start, and start here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

-1 :pac:

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

On the way to symths to pick up right now, feck that spending the day in the pub drinking on good Friday when I can play through c64 and have a can laters :-)

djsim101 wrote: »
    On the way to symths to pick up right now, feck that spending the day in the pub drinking on good Friday when I can play through c64 and have a can laters :-)

Shag you all anyway!
    Some of us are in work today and tomorrow!
    And Monday!

Shag you all anyway!
    And Monday!

Or you could be like me and have to wait for the postman to arrive ...... NEXT TUESDAY :eek:

446921.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭Inviere

10 PRINT “-1”
    20 GOTO 10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Are you keeping up with the Commodore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Shag you all anyway!
    And Monday!

You are in the wrong line of work dude :-)
    I must admit the little machine is packaged lovely, and looks great. I feel though it could go all down hill from now on :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

It's disappointing that the joystick is ****. I hope the fill size version allows plugging in of the original joysticks of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭ebbsy

sham69 wrote: »
    Had a good mess around with it yesterday.
    Has great potential is what I would say.
    Joystick is awful but possibly is the same as what it was back in the day I'm just so used to modern controllers now.

I tried using a bluetooth usb dongle and an old ps3 controller but no joy.
    I think those bluetooth mini keyboards work when plugged in via usb.

I played crazy comets and it was pretty good, everyone's a wally was also great fun, how did anyone ever complete that game !! (or did they)

overall i'm impressed, if they keep updates coming it should be a great little machine.
    I couldn't get my own rom's loaded, followed the instructions, renamed the file etc but no luck, not sure if it was the rom itself (a certain multiloader game from system 3 that I was dying to get working)

Looking forward to hearing what others think of it....

No bud the Competition Pro was certainly not like that back in the day.

I had the Competition Pro, used it with my Spectrum via a Kempston joystick interface, it was a pure joy to use, far better then the terrible efforts from the Quickshot people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Bought a Zipstick on adverts a few years ago that was modded for use with a PC Gameport, and modded it back for use with a commodore 64 and ZX spectrum using a splitter cable from another cheap joystick.

It was the last joystick we bought for our c64 and the only one that did not break. Im still gutted I dumped our old zipstick joystick a while back when I had no retro consoles.

ebbsy wrote: »
    No bud the Competition Pro was certainly not like that back in the day.

I got mine and the joystick is not like the joysticks back in the day. I have 4 or 5 zip sticks and a few cruiser joysticks that I reconditioned and they all use microswitches - I know this because I replaced them all when I cleaned them up. They work flawlessly and are a pleasure to use. However, this is a leaf joystick and I probably won't even take it out of the box to be honest. I have an xbox 360 usb joystick so I'm hoping that will work when I finally find time to try it out.

Has any one tried the retrolink cable that conects the old C64 joysticks to usb - it would be awesome to use my trusty Zipstick - in my humble opinion the best for C64 and Amiga games but I think you have to have grown up with them - my nephew plays Amiga games with a megadrive pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Where's microprose soccer?! And midnight resistance?! And that circus game I can never remember the name of!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Fiendish Freddie's?

Needs more Flimbo's Quest and Last Ninja too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Danick wrote: »

Has any one tried the retrolink cable that conects the old C64 joysticks to usb - it would be awesome to use my trusty Zipstick - in my humble opinion the best for C64 and Amiga games but I think you have to have grown up with them - my nephew plays Amiga games with a megadrive pad.

Last time I tried one was one of the Retronic Design ones, which were apparently the bees knees, but I was using one with one of the Armiga units and found the input lag on something fast paced (say Kick Off 2) to be unacceptable. Bit better on PC unsurprisingly, but it's still there so it's something to keep in mind.

Plus found one of the two Zipsticks I have had developed a fault.
    Never thought I'd see the day.

USB_atari_plain.jpg?w=721&ssl=1

• Advertisement

McDermotX wrote: »
    Last time I tried one was one of the Retronic Design ones, which were apparently the bees knees, but I was using one with one of the Armiga units and found the input lag on something fast paced (say Kick Off 2) to be unacceptable. Bit better on PC unsurprisingly, but it's still there so it's something to keep in mind.

Plus found one of the two Zipsticks I have had developed a fault.
    Never thought I'd see the day.

USB_atari_plain.jpg?w=721&ssl=1

What is the problem with your zipstick? There isn't a lot that can go wrong - it might be an easy fix.

Advertisement