Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Augeo wrote: »
    I hear ya :)

So effectively "gave back" (cut his ties with) the Leaf (as in he doesn't have it anymore) :)

€10k deposit (paid by Mad_Lad)
    €450 PM x 36 for next 3 years ) €16200 (to be paid by Mad_Lad)
    €14,500 GFMV
    That's €40,700 if he buys it in 3 years time.

The €12k for the Leaf comment I've bolded is a strange way to phrase it IMO.

Finance details a side

Real question is what will the i3 be worth in 3 years when pcp is up?

18k?

Will have cost 22k for 3 years

Less the 3k a year on fuel Mad_Lad would have spared on similar performance ICE, which would need circa 200bhp to keep up

Compared to a similar EV like say the new Leaf which would be 34k in a pcp deal, after 3 years what will that be worth?

14k?

3 years cost 20k, compared to 22k in faster, lighter, rwd drive superior i3

Mad_Lad has got a pretty good deal imo for a nearly new car

It does show buying a new/nearly new car is a money pit though

peposhi wrote: »
    In other words - Mad_Lad was allowed to do what was right for him, regardless we agree or disagree on cost value

I didn't comment on cost value :)

Simply tried to provide clarity to a question asked about the Leaf's €12k that was mentioned :)

thierry14 wrote: »
    Finance details a side

Real question is what will the i3 be worth in 3 years when pcp is up?

18k?

Will have cost 22k for 3 years ...............

It will have cost the €10k deposit and €450 x 36 :)
    That's €26.2k ................ there might be €3.5k of equity in it or there might not be.

Counting chickens etc isn't a game I play, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

It will have cost the €10k deposit and €450 x 36 :)
    That's €26.2k ................ there might be €3.5k of equity in it or there might not be.

Counting chickens etc isn't a game I play, personally.

Plus it was good of him to use the price mad_lad paid for a "second hand" i3, and yet he gave the full price of a brand new Leaf.

I'm not comparing the i3 to the new Leaf btw. It could be box a vs box b as far as I'm concerned.
    But if comparing numbers, at least be consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Add an l in before the .jpg there if you get a sec, zooming to 20% is a pain in the face.

Lovely looking yoke for a practical family car.

• Advertisement

And now as we have some fast EVs we are treated to gems like "on similar performance ICE, which would need circa 200bhp to keep up" ........... what's the range like on the EV when caned about back roads or on the motorway for a while :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

And now as we have some fast EVs we are treated to gems like "on similar performance ICE, which would need circa 200bhp to keep up" ........... what's the range like on the EV when caned about back roads or on the motorway for a while :pac:

i3 has a petrol tank so you can it all you like

Polo Gti with almost 200bhp just about beats its over a quarter mile

In real situations like 80-120kmh the I3 is very quick, would leave my hybrid turbo Fabia Vrs for dead

thierry14 wrote: »
    i3 has a petrol tank so you can it all you like ................

Christ, it must be a fair sized tank :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well wear, Mad_Lad!

I know you'll enjoy it a lot more than the Leaf :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Congratulations, and Well wear with the new car. I never really considered the BMW as an option until I started reading about it after seeing it discussed on here recently and I must say I think technology wise it's a great option. I like the idea of a small tank of Petrol to ease the range anxiety.
    I know it's highly subjective but I just can't get past the looks, I couldn't see myself driving one. I love the i8 but I can't see myself driving one of them either but for other reasons. I love the idea of an eGolf because they look like a Golf, but I don't think they're worth the current price.
    I just wish there were more options like a normal looking BMW model somewhere between the i8 and the i3...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The shed is plastic and tiny I think my another for it in BNQ.

:P

Car is beautiful as well.....best of luck with it and enjoy the drive

One of the few electric cars I haven't got to test drive yet, few days off from work so might head off tomorrow:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I know it's highly subjective but I just can't get past the looks, I couldn't see myself driving one. I love the i8 but I can't see myself driving one of them either but for other reasons. I love the idea of an eGolf because they look like a Golf, but I don't think they're worth the current price.
    I just wish there were more options like a normal looking BMW model somewhere between the i8 and the i3...

Best cure is a test drive. I wasn't a fan of the i3's exterior design until a couple of weeks into ownership. The interior, handling and performance are good enough that they change your perception of the whole car.

I definitely will try to drive one thanks.

I didn't like the looks in the beginning but have to say it grew on me and now I actually quiet like it. I don't really buy a car based on it's looks alone, the quality is a huge step up from the leaf and it's a very nice place to sit.

We're planning a trip to Galway at the weekend and will take the I3, something I never would have dreamed with the 24 Kwh leaf, can't wait !

cros13 wrote: »
    Best cure is a test drive. I wasn't a fan of the i3's exterior design until a couple of weeks into ownership. The interior, handling and performance are good enough that they change your perception of the whole car.

Absolutely, it was the test drive that changed my mind about the I3 entirely !

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    :P

Car is beautiful as well.....best of luck with it and enjoy the drive

One of the few electric cars I haven't got to test drive yet, few days off from work so might head off tomorrow:P

Cheers, do , take it for a spin, you'll love it so much you'll want one. :D

unkel wrote: »
    Well wear, Mad_Lad!

I know you'll enjoy it a lot more than the Leaf :)

Thanks, I enjoy it more already, a lot more ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Well wear Mad_Lad. :)

How much range do you expect/are you seeing?

EPA range for the pure BEV is 190km from what I see. How much on top of that does the rex add?

Won't see 190 Kms this time of year and the Rex has no heat pump though in very cold weather 3 deg C and below a small heat pump isn't going to be very efficient either and pre heating while not plugged in uses restive heating only anyway whether you've a heat pump or not.

I'd say this time of year 160 kms would be max I haven't put it to the test yet. The Rex also comes in at 7% battery and I believe there is more of the battery the rex version can't use than the BEV according to Cros.

On my test drive in July the rex kicked in at about 170 Kms after driving about 110 kph.

Either way I'm not too bothered because I have the Rex for backup should I need it and I can top up on my way to Galway or not, I can use the charge hold function for any motorway use which will preserve the battery charge once it's 75% or lower.

The real beauty is the choice of using the public network or not, if a charger is in use or blocked or 2 people waiting then I couldn't care less.

As I mentioned, I don't know a huge amount about these cars but am I right in thinking that in the situation you describe where you can't find a place to charge you can simply top up with petrol as often as you need and just continue driving with the little engine powering the car?

• Advertisement

As I mentioned, I don't know a huge amount about these cars but am I right in thinking that in the situation you describe where you can't find a place to charge you can simply top up with petrol as often as you need and just continue driving with the little engine powering the car?

Yes exactly, as long as you have petrol you can drive. If the battery gets too low I believe then the car will reduce power.

I think the trick is to use the charge hold function which will maintain the charge level from 75% and below, for instance on a longer motorway trip, use the charge hold function at 70% and drive with the generator until you know you can complete the rest of the trip on battery only or get to the next charge point.

On my way from Carlow to Galway we stopped in Ballinasloe and got from 26-85% in 25 mins and got 20.7 kwh which is almost the same as the 24 kwh leaf fully charged. A very nice boost in speed over the leaf which would have taken an hour or more for the same Kwh. The cold doesn’t effect the I3 charging at all because it has a battery heater. But the cold does effect range with the heater.

We got back on the Motorway and enabled the area for the rest of the trip to Galway then went back only to battery once we got to the end of the motorway.

Total trip 200 kms. I never would have dreamed of taking the leaf that far especially in cold weather.

It’s fantastic knowing I have the range and the backup of the Rex.

and it was still pulling 47 kw when I disconnected.

IFZkr0s.jpg

I also discovered that while the I3 has an 11 Kw AC charger BMW decided not to supply a 3 phase charging lead which I find disappointing. I'll have to get one because I'm a big fan of AC charging and 11 Kw will give me almost twice the kwh of the 6.6 Kwh Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I also discovered that while the I3 has an 11 Kw AC charger BMW decided not to supply a 3 phase charging lead which I find disappointing. I'll have to get one because I'm a big fan of AC charging and 11 Kw will give me almost twice the kwh of the 6.6 Kwh Leaf.

That possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

You are a Gas man, Mad_Lad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I notice you have 2 car seats in the back, in reality would you get 3 car seats in?

You are a Gas man, Mad_Lad!

Glad I’m a source of entertainment, what’s so Gas ?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I notice you have 2 car seats in the back, in reality would you get 3 car seats in?

Yes I believe you can install a bench on the rear seat that fits 3 children easily I’ll see if I can find the link later.

• Advertisement

peposhi wrote: »
    That possible?

Yes :-)

Advertisement