Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

But don't forget that battery life depends on many factors , improve the chemistry to better withstand some of those factors and you improve more than cycle life.

Absolutely true, yes.
    And the i3 is going to be one of the best of the lot I’d say. It will outlive the car, most likely.

All I’m saying is I don’t believe 100% SoH , that’s all. There is degradation no matter how good it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

KCross wrote: »
    It will outlive the car, most likely.

Almost all lithium batteries will outlive the cars. I'll go one further. Even batteries that fail under warranty (there will be very few of these) will have a useful second life as grid / home attached storage

You are right of course stating that batteries start degrading straight away. The degradation might be very small though. I.e. I charge my car maybe twice a week and rarely when it is really empty. So now after over two years owning it, it has only done about 200 cycles. In Ireland's mild climate. I't quite likely it's still at about 98-99% SOH

I'm also with you on the 100% being reported. I don't believe that. Particularly not in the case of high mileage 2 year old Ioniqs in colder countries like say Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    Almost all lithium batteries will outlive the cars. I'll go one further. Even batteries that fail under warranty (there will be very few of these) will have a useful second life as grid / home attached storage

True. Probably any EV built since 2013 will be in that bracket. Particularly if you use the average age of ICE today, which I think is about 13yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I believe it because it gives me the same range to 50 % same routes same driving style. The leaf did not after 3 years and I reached low battery earlier in my commute by the time I got rid of it.

Possibly a better buffer than the Leaf, which as we know is bare minimum. To really show KC's point, the Ampera has a massive buffer, comparatively speaking: 6kwh out of 16.5kwh. So over say a 15 year period the battery will probably still show 100% capacity, even though maybe 5kwh (30%) has been lost. No current lithium battery tech is immune from degradation. Fact.

If you never let your Ampera battery go below 25% and do average mileage it will still have 75% capacity after 40 years :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

n97 mini wrote: »
    Possibly a better buffer than the Leaf, which as we know is bare minimum. To really show KC's point, the Ampera has a massive buffer, comparatively speaking: 6kwh out of 16.5kwh. So over say a 15 year period the battery will probably still show 100% capacity, even though maybe 5kwh (30%) has been lost. No current lithium battery tech is immune from degradation. Fact.

Lithium-titanate is

No lithium battery is immune from degradation but batteries have Improved since the 24 kwh leaf.

As I said , small changes can have big impacts.

Higher cycle life along with more kwh means cycle life probably increases two fold as more Kwh means less cycling along with increased cycle life.

Better temperature resistance , lower internal resistance etc so it’s easy to see that the I3 May very well still have 100% of its capacity or maybe 0.1% loss etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If you never let your Ampera battery go below 25% and do average mileage it will still have 75% capacity after 40 years :)
    The ampera battery never goes below about 25% anyway as just under 10kWh is available from 16kWh gross

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Patser

So would it be seen as obligatory for an i3 driver to give a friendly wave to another i3 driver if passing.

I've often had niche cars, and usually would if I seen someone else in a same type, when I'd a Pug 205 it was practically obligatory to stop and chat (and look for parts).

But just waved to a 172 black i3 driver in Dublin, who seemed genuinely confused as to why

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Patser wrote: »
    So would it be seen as obligatory for an i3 driver to give a friendly wave to another i3 driver if passing.

I've often had niche cars, and usually would if I seen someone else in a same type, when I'd a Pug 205 it was practically obligatory to stop and chat (and look for parts).

But just waved to a 172 black i3 driver in Dublin, who seemed genuinely confused as to why

Eh no....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

You were in Dublin, waving at a citidiot no doubt.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I have given and received a salute from every other Ioniq driver I've passed on the road so far :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Patser wrote: »

If you waved at me, I'd wave back.
    It is customary when driving motorbikes, and I did it before with old JDM cars.

A lot of Leaf drivers used to wave , some didn't. The Few i3 drivers couldn't care less , I think only 1 waved back at me.

Then again down here in the country a lot of people wave passing anyway but seems to be getting less common, seems to be a country thing, sure up there in Dublin they think you're a weirdo if you try engage any kind of a conversation with a stranger and I like to chat and I guess city folk don't understand this ? I suppose it's more and more common now anyway to see people glued to their phones with headphones on and I would't even bother try engage in any kind of conversation if I saw or was aware they were doing something because I realise I'd be bugging them.

Anyway I suppose that's the way it is today, if you want to talk to a Human you're a weirdo but being glued to your phone all day/night having no or little as possible human interaction is just fine and dandy lol.

I like to talk to people that's why I now have my Amateur Radio License lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

kceire wrote: »
    If you waved at me, I'd wave back.
    It is customary when driving motorbikes, and I did it before with old JDM cars.

Same here, I never progressed beyond a 125 Suzuki Intruder but every other biker on the road would still exchange a wave.

Funnily enough since going electric I did always wave or flash lights at other EV drivers and I always got a response from other Leafs.

But since getting the i3 in October I haven't had any acknowledgement out of any other drivers, Leaf, i3, Ioniq or anything else.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Same here, I never progressed beyond a 125 Suzuki Intruder but every other biker on the road would still exchange a wave.

Funnily enough since going electric I did always wave or flash lights at other EV drivers and I always got a response from other Leafs.

But since getting the i3 in October I haven't had any acknowledgement out of any other drivers, Leaf, i3, Ioniq or anything else.

In 1.5 years I got one acknowledgement from another i3 driver.

I wave to most people down the country here anyway on country roads, even a rise of the finger lol.

Her Old Man from Deutschland thinks that's great, wouldn't get that over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I wave to most people down the country here anyway on country roads, even a rise of the finger lol.

p4z7c8y6of621.jpg

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I have given and received a salute from every other Ioniq driver I've passed on the road so far :o

I've given and received regularly myself in Ioniq :D

That actually sounds quite bad ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Mad_Lad wrote:
    That actually sounds quite bad !

It didn't, until you posted this !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Soarer

DrPhilG wrote: »
    p4z7c8y6of621.jpg

Balls to that.

Ain’t touching my windscreen for nobody!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

i KNEW it!:P
    Soarer wrote: »
    Balls to that.

Ain’t touching my windscreen for nobody!
    Yes, no one is worth that

Drove from Blanch today and when I got to the M9 I hammered it , couldn't go faster most not all but for the majority of the M9 until the Carlow turn off.

Plugged in at 6% - 85% highest temp I saw was 35 deg C, first time I actually heard the AC compressor with the car completely off and fast charging, first time I noticed it probably more than anything.

It cooled to about 31 Deg C by the time I plugged it out and by the time I got home it was 29 Deg C, on the way home it got to 29 Deg so it seems to sit at that so there's obviously no more ac cooling at that point.

It's a shame Nissan and others don't do this because BMW's cooling is very simple but very effective.

It's a shame Nissan and others don't do this because BMW's cooling is very simple but very effective.

Is it just cold air from the AC system? Ioniq uses the same afaik. As you say, very simple, cheap and effective.

Is it just cold air from the AC system? Ioniq uses the same afaik. As you say, very simple, cheap and effective.

Ioniq uses basic fan, good enough but has it's limitations.

i3 uses a proper ac cooling setup using refrigerant via pipes and not cold air so the heat is dissipated via the Radiator and is a lot more efficient than fan cooling.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

So long as the system is right sized for the job it doesn't really matter. Forced air is good enough for the Ioniq to charge at upto 175A with no signs of rapid gate. The chemistry must be optimised for power density to prevent heat building up in the first place.

Funny how Ioniq can charge at 3C in all weather with just a fan and the 2 year newer L40 can barely manage 1C in perfect circumstances, and just 0.5C when the weather gets a bit warm or the car is driven a bit faster than Miss Daisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Yes , same system as the in car AC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Funny how Ioniq can charge at 3C in all weather with just a fan and the 2 year newer L40 can barely manage 1C in perfect circumstances, and just 0.5C when the weather gets a bit warm or the car is driven a bit faster than Miss Daisy.

Tesco value battery chemistry vs LG ( LiPo chemistry, poor energy density, but brillant cycle life )

You haven't even mentioned degradation?

Ever heard of battery degradation issues with Ioniq?

Me either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Soarer

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Tesco value battery chemistry vs LG ( LiPo chemistry, poor energy density, but brillant cycle life )

You haven't even mentioned degradation?

Ever heard of battery degradation issues with Ioniq?

Me either

What is "Tesco Value" about the battery chemistry in the Leaf?

Advertisement