Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Yes I believe you can install a bench on the rear seat that fits 3 children easily I’ll see if I can find the link later.

Cross13 posted a while a go a link to a company that does a bench that perfectly fits three kids at the back. It was around €1100 to but + the seats... so it was not a cheap option.
    It would be quite tight at the back for 3 though. Think Micra size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

peposhi wrote: »
    Cross13 posted a while a go a link to a company that does a bench that perfectly fits three kids at the back. It was around €1100 to but + the seats... so it was not a cheap option.
    It would be quite tight at the back for 3 though. Think Micra size.

Cant think of name of it now, I know about it. Seemingly Hutton & Meade offered it as service for a while

I was just wondering using standard car seats will the i3 allow 3 car seats? at a squeeze I can 3 across the back of eGolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Cant think of name of it now, I know about it. Seemingly Hutton & Meade offered it as service for a while

I was just wondering using standard car seats will the i3 allow 3 car seats? at a squeeze I can 3 across the back of eGolf.

Not a chance in my opinion. I “test drove” the i3 for an hour back in 162 and can clearly remember it as a very tight rear seats car. Close to Zoe I’d say. I always thought about it as the perfect student/single man/woman car, although a student can hardly afford it in most cases :)

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

The company that does those rear bench child seats are www.multimac.co.uk

Here's a couple of photos of them in an i3

i3_large.jpg

CAY9W2HWEAAyMWd.jpg:large

The company that does those rear bench child seats are www.multimac.co.uk

Here's a couple of photos of them in an i3

That's them.....optional 4 seat version for eGolf.

They are not cheap but might be worth investment if trying to stay out of people carriers :p

• Advertisement

I 3 is small but surprisingly roomy, we managed a weekend trip in it, all of 402 Kms. Never would have dreamed about taking the Leaf that distance !

We used the Rex, I filled up before we left Galway, 10 Euro's worth of petrol but the tank was still about quarter full.

I used it coming home from work because I wanted to ensure the battery was charged in time before we left for Galway, got home at 9am and planned to leave about 1PM when I got up, so I used the Rex from the Big ball in Naas to the Carlow Turn on the M9 then from Ballinasloe to Galway.

I charged at an AC Point in Galway so that saved me a fast charge , then charged to 80% at Kilbeggan then back home to Carlow. Used no Rex on the way home.

The Kilbeggan charger started acting up a bit, kept saying to connect car like what happened in Naas, took 5 or 6 tries to get it to charge again.

Another I3 Rex pulled up but he just filled up with Petrol and went on again, the beauty of the Rex !

How many of the I3 Rex where sold?

Compared to how many full EV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

I 3 is small but surprisingly roomy, we managed a weekend trip in it, all of 402 Kms. Never would have dreamed about taking the Leaf that distance !

We used the Rex, I filled up before we left Galway, 10 Euro's worth of petrol but the tank was still about quarter full.

I used it coming home from work because I wanted to ensure the battery was charged in time before we left for Galway, got home at 9am and planned to leave about 1PM when I got up, so I used the Rex from the Big ball in Naas to the Carlow Turn on the M9 then from Ballinasloe to Galway.

I charged at an AC Point in Galway so that saved me a fast charge , then charged to 80% at Kilbeggan then back home to Carlow. Used no Rex on the way home.

The Kilbeggan charger started acting up a bit, kept saying to connect car like what happened in Naas, took 5 or 6 tries to get it to charge again.

Another I3 Rex pulled up but he just filled up with Petrol and went on again, the beauty of the Rex !

What's the mpg when rex is on?

That why I think Nissan E-power can be successful

Something like the Volt battery size, 15kWH for day to day going to shops and a little engine to recharge constantly

Series Hybrid, thats what the i3 rex is?

Any similar EV's like BMW Rex/Chevy Volt coming out?

Rex is classed by the EPA as a plug in Hybrid ?

According to mybmwi3.com the Rex economy is 6.0 L/100 Km.

I don't know of any plug in with a 33 Kwh battery coming out or more or even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

How many of the I3 Rex where sold?

Compared to how many full EV?

Roughly a 50/50 split.

• Advertisement

Interesting, Wiki Says this about the 94 Ah battery.

resulting in higher energy density of the lithium ion cells that increased battery capacity to 94 A·h and overall battery energy to 33 kWh of which 27.2 kWh can be effectively used.

I checked today and it says available capacity is 29.5 kwh.

I've also read that it can show a lower reading below 21 Deg C. And the battery temp today was 12.5 degrees. Anyway below is a screen shot. Whether it goes up and down like the leaf remains to be seen.

5slw7aa.jpg

resulting in higher energy density of the lithium ion cells that increased battery capacity to 94 A·h and overall battery energy to 33 kWh of which 27.2 kWh can be effectively used.

I've also read that it can show a lower reading below 21 Deg C. And the battery temp today was 12.5 degrees. Anyway below is a screen shot. Whether it goes up and down like the leaf remains to be seen.

Didnt realise the i3 had such a big battery. I only ever looked at it when it had a 22KW battery. When did they newer version come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Apparently the battery kappa thing is rubbish. Not like leaf pro info.
    Mine has been showing less than 17kWh lately

Didnt realise the i3 had such a big battery. I only ever looked at it when it had a 22KW battery. When did they newer version come out?

Got upgraded Mid to late 2016.

stesaurus wrote: »

Leafspy shows up to 7% + or - which is hard to know what to make of either. I know it's all estimated.

I guess the only way to know is to put a Kwh meter on one of the current sensors to the traction battery and run it to low power which is 6% in the Rex.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

Abram Unkempt Risk - Congrats on the car. Have you been using the BMW Connected app to Climatise (sorry that's BMW's word) the car on these cold days?

We used it the other night coming out of Dublin zoo's Wild Lights on a frosty evening. Tapped the app and by the time we reached the car it was lovely & toasty inside. Happy family. Nice feature and seems pretty quick.

Cheers, yes I use a mix of the app and timer.

What I think is a really cool feature over the Leaf is the ability to keep the heat on with the car off. Means you can nip in to do some shopping come back out and the car is still warm and it might save some electricity compared to letting the car cool off and having to heat it back up again.

You need to charge to 100% SoC and do the math. Battery kapa max - Batt. Ladung. Then keep track over a number of occasions and in different weather conditions to measure the capacity loss.

My current estimate of loss varies between 0.6 and 0.8kWh. In real terms I don't notice much.

I ran into an issue recently with the SoC not being accurate, making it look like I had sudden drops in SoC.
    I brought the car into Joe Duffey and the got the BMS's battery stats reset which fixed the issue.

cros13 wrote: »

I ran into an issue recently with the SoC not being accurate, making it look like I had sudden drops in SoC.
    I brought the car into Joe Duffey and the got the BMS's battery stats reset which fixed the issue.

That's like what Zoe owners got done but was done as part of normal service.

BMS recalibrated but I think what may have happened was that they unlocked some spare capacity.

I sent frank Keane an Email to ask what's the story about not being provided with a 3 phase charge cable which seems rather odd considering the car has an 11 Kw charger !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I sent frank Keane an Email to ask what's the story about not being provided with a 3 phase charge cable which seems rather odd considering the car has an 11 Kw charger !

Is that the model of i3 that has a 16a three phase charger?
    If so from a 7kW single phase home charger you will only pull 3.6kW/16a single phase?

It's a strange configuration if you ask me and not really suited to our network

It will pull 32 amps on single phase or 16 on 3 phase.

It is rather ridiculous BMW didn't provide a 3 phase charging lead, not impressed.

Perhaps they thought that people would have home tethered units and wouldn't need them , maybe 3 phase AC public points are rare in Germany where 3 phase domestic electricity is plentiful.

That's even stranger again! 32a single and 16a three phase.
    You're right I'd say it's designed more for Germany and central EU than here. As above there are not many countries with plentiful 3 phase 22kW AC points as we have.

Sorry my mistake 32 amps single and 3 phase.
    But an 11kW 3 phase supply works out at just over 16a per phase, hence why I presume it's 16a and not 32a.
    Have you checked the speed, having never owned nor driven an i3 I have not checked myself but i'd be fairly disappointed to be limited to 16a charging at home - ~3.7kW - on an 11kW capable car

It can't be 32a 3phase if it only charges at 11kW. 32a over 3 phases is 22kW.

This has piqued my curiosity now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Yeah, I was under the impression you'll only be able to charge at 3.6kW at home in single phase on the newer models

When I tested the 34kWh i3 it was 16A 3 phase and didn't charge at 32A from single phase

Oh confusing.....

I found it charged pretty fast from the 22 KW AC point in Galway, I'm going to RTFM and see if they mention charging currents etc.

Someone tell me the 3 phases and how that works with 16 or 32 amps, I read it's 16 amps on 3 phase. So is that not 400 x 32 which is actually more than 11 kw ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ELM327 wrote: »
    It can't be 32a 3phase if it only charges at 11kW. 32a over 3 phases is 22kW.
    Yeah, I was under the impression you'll only be able to charge at 3.6kW at home in single phase on the newer models
    cros13 wrote: »
    When I tested the 34kWh i3 it was 16A 3 phase and didn't charge at 32A from single phase

Ye have collectively just driven a stake through Abram Unkempt Risk's heart.... all the years talking about 6.6kW charging and now he doesn't have it!

Although I suppose the Rex negates the need for it somewhat and you will get 11kW from the on-street chargers but you will need to buy the 3-phase cable (€200ish) otherwise you'll just be getting 3.6kW.

Advertisement