Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,069 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Someone tell me the 3 phases and how that works with 16 or 32 amps, I read it's 16 amps on 3 phase. So is that not 400 x 32 which is actually more than 11 kw ?

16A*230V=3680W
    By 3 phases.... 3680 * 3 = 11040W=11kW
    32A on 3 phase is obviously twice that to give 22kW

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

KCross wrote: »
    Ye have collectively just driven a stake through Mad_Lad's heart.... all the years talking about 6.6kW charging and now he doesn't have it!

Although I suppose the Rex negates the need for it somewhat and you will get 11kW from the on-street chargers but you will need to buy the 3-phase cable (€200ish) otherwise you'll just be getting 3.6kW.
    But in fairness it only matters at home, where he will only get 16a instead of 32a. From the public chargers it will draw 11kW three phase so double the 6.6 from the leaf.
    Combined with the rex it shouldnt be so bad but it goes to show the need to super research these things beforehand.

I just checked the manual and it's utterly confusing so basically without an energy monitor of some sort you will never know what power it's charging on AC.

It's not even obvious from the manual with a 3 phase cable what rate it will charge on AC.

ELM327 wrote: »
    But in fairness it only matters at home, where he will only get 16a instead of 32a. From the public chargers it will draw 11kW three phase so double the 6.6 from the leaf.
    Combined with the rex it shouldnt be so bad but it goes to show the need to super research these things beforehand.

You can't even charge at 3 phase though because they don't give you the 3 phase cable !

So for average Joe they're not going to have a clue.......

But I agree super research should not be required it should be clearly stated the mode at which the vehicle will charge ann when charging should display some sort of information to indicate the charging power.

Only if he gets a 3 phase cable, I presume, which he doesn't have.

I would be disappointed with 3.6kW home charging though. I know the i3 has a larger battery and the rex but I'd like to be able to maximise my use of the battery and 3.6kW at home is just too slow. From empty it will struggle to get it all done within night rate and being able to topup during the day is a struggle unless you have 7kW charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Spends circa 40k on car but too tight to buy an isofix seat ...

Are you being serious?

I'm nearly sure the I3 charges at 32 amps on single phase, it certainly seemed to charge pretty fast at the 22 Kw AC point.

There are 3 modes of charging set in the head unit. Max , Reduced and Low.

See the below pics of the manual on charging.

JIY7eeI.jpg?1

vf1jsbm.jpg?1

Oops, sorry, forget to change the resolution again sorting........ !

Sorted !

• Advertisement

Interesting difference in charging between the 22 and 33 Kwh I3.

https://insideevs.com/informative-comparison-test-on-updated-2017-bmw-i3-94ah-33-kwh-performance-charging/

With both vehicles starting at roughly the same SOC (42.5%-%44%), in 30 minutes the 2014 i3 packed in 9.18 kWh. vs 17.14 kWh for the 2017. And significantly, even at 92% vs 82% SOC for the 2014, when I started an extra 10 minute session, I found the 2017 was still charging at a 70% faster rate. Above 98-99% the 2017 showed at least another 12 minutes left, but that is pretty close to being fully charged anyways and way faster than the 60Ah i3 98% SOC rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭alanowx

You can't even charge at 3 phase though because they don't give you the 3 phase cable !

So for average Joe they're not going to have a clue.......

But I agree super research should not be required it should be clearly stated the mode at which the vehicle will charge ann when charging should display some sort of information to indicate the charging power.

Here is more info is taken from Page 7 & 8 from BMW_i3_Quick_Start-Guide.pdf available from this link, doc at bottom of page.

https://www.bmw.ie/en/all-models/bmw-i/i3/2016/at-a-glance.html.

It gives some charge rates info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I wonder if that fancy wallbox pro is where you're meant to set when you want it to charge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Don't think those car seats take an isofix to be honest...

I'm nearly sure the I3 charges at 32 amps on single phase, it certainly seemed to charge pretty fast at the 22 Kw AC point.

There are 3 modes of charging set in the head unit. Max , Reduced and Low.

Hard to tell from that.
    The table in the first image only shows upto 15A and then the second image shows a 32A option "when supplied".

What Amps is written on your cable because that is going to limit you regardless anyway? If your cable says 16A I'd be surprised if the car can do 32A.

Its like the Leaf... if you bought a 6.6kW Leaf you got the higher rated cable. Everyone else got the 16A cable. Im sure BMW do the same.

Hard to tell from that.
    The table in the first image only shows upto 15A and then the second image shows a 32A option "when supplied".

What Amps is written on your cable because that is going to limit you regardless anyway? If your cable says 16A I'd be surprised if the car can do 32A.

Its like the Leaf... if you bought a 6.6kW Leaf you got the higher rated cable. Everyone else got the 16A cable. Im sure BMW do the same.
    +1

It doesn't have 32a support I am positive (badum tish) as 16a*3ph gives the 11kW.
    For single phase I don't see how it could offer 32a if the charger is 16a for 3 phase.
    The booklet seems to explain it pretty clear that the car charges between 15-17a if fitted with the 11kW charger and at 32a if fitted with the 7kW single phase option.

Yes I forgot to say the cable supplied is a 32 amp single phase . And based on the speed of charging at the AC public point I'm convinced it's charging at 32 amps on single phase.

+1

It doesn't have 32a support I am positive (badum tish) as 16a*3ph gives the 11kW.
    For single phase I don't see how it could offer 32a if the charger is 16a for 3 phase.
    The booklet seems to explain it pretty clear that the car charges between 15-17a if fitted with the 11kW charger and at 32a if fitted with the 7kW single phase option.

Could some fancy electronics allow it to switch between 32A single and 16A 3-phase?

Maybe the car is 7kW but doesn't have 11kW 3-phase.... that would explain why it appears fast to Mad_lad on the public chargers and why the car came with a 32A single phase cable.

BMW seemingly only supply the single phase cable.

When I look up the VIN it says it's got the multi phase AC charger.

Could some fancy electronics allow it to switch between 32A single and 16A 3-phase?

Maybe the car is 7kW but doesn't have 11kW 3-phase.... that would explain why it appears fast to Mad_lad on the public chargers and why the car came with a 32A single phase cable.
    You'd have to balance the current across two of the 3 16a phases.
    I'm not electrically minded enough to know if that is possible or feasible to be included to be honest. I understand a little bit about electrical current but not enough!

If it's 7kW 1 phase that would explain the 32a 1 phase cable.

• Advertisement

S4U6A Quick charg.altern.current multi-phase

I've another issue, it didn't precondition today.

I had it set to depart at 12:45 get in car cold, now this could have been an error last night when I set the timer via the app, perhaps , I did not wait for confirmation that the update was successful so perhaps it wasn't.

Battery temp was 10 degrees C .

I had the off peak time set from 11 PM - 8 AM.

So I'm curious now , will it preheat if out of the set off peak time ?

I would expect the battery to be higher than 10 deg C , but was expecting it to be less if not preheated, so does it warm up the battery before charging or before departure ?

You'd have to balance the current across two of the 3 16a phases.
    I'm not electrically minded enough to know if that is possible or feasible to be included to be honest. I understand a little bit about electrical current but not enough!

If it's 7kW 1 phase that would explain the 32a 1 phase cable.

Apparently it does give 32a single phase and 16a three phase

https://speakev.com/threads/new-i3-ac-charging-rates.19818/

The 94Ah i3 has three 3.7kW AC/DC rectifiers. When connected to a single phase fast charger two of them are used in tandem for 7.4kW charging. When connected to a 3 phase supply there is a rectifier for each phase.

Cheers for that.

Yeah it makes sense because it did charge pretty fast on AC in Galway.

I must invest in a 3 phase cable for the AC points so.

I wonder how many poor sods are aware of this ?

I also just checked, the head unit in the i3 confirms a timer was set for 12:45 so why it didn't preheat is anyone's guess, maybe I didn't have Climatisation selected, Jaysus

One thing you can never fault Nissan for and that's making Charging and pre-heating timers simple, or maybe that's my problem now that the Leaf was too simple lol, I didn't have any issue before now anyway so I'll be more careful with setting timers in future.

One great thing though is being able to get home or to work and just plug in then set the timers when inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Confirmations from the app can take some time, you need to wait for confirmation.
    Interesting to know about the 7.4kW single phase charging, great news. I'd be lost without that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Don't think those car seats take an isofix to be honest...

Every car manufactured since 2012/13 (think before that in the EU) has to have ISOFIX by law. Even 2 seater exotic stuff like Boxsters and the like have ISOFIX on the passenger seat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Would anyone know, how far on electric do you get on the old model and new model before the REX kicks in?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Sherfin

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Would anyone know, how far on electric do you get on the old model and new model before the REX kicks in?

The REX will kick in automatically at 6.5% remaining.
    In my (older) model, on these cold and dark evenings & mornings I'm seeing about 100-110 on the guessometer in the mornings compared to 130-140 in the summer. Of course, this also depends on your driving style.
    Todays commute of 90km left me with 14% (13 km), so it would have kicked in if I had to go much further.

The REX can be engaged manually once below 75% and this is what I tend to do when I know that the journey is longer than the range, e.g. I have a brother in KK (about 160 km) which of course is on the FCP black-hole that is the M9
    Then when I know that there's more than enough in the battery to get me there, I can switch off the rex

• Advertisement

I3 battery did not warm up, this morning it was 10 Deg C, preconditioning enables, timer set well in advance last night. Any ideas ? I presume it was 10 Deg only from charging.

Advertisement