Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I3 battery did not warm up, this morning it was 10 Deg C, preconditioning enables, timer set well in advance last night. Any ideas ? I presume it was 10 Deg only from charging.

Have a read of Tom Moloughney's FAQ on i3 preconditioning and see if anything jumps out:

http://bmwi3.blogspot.ie/2015/03/bmw-i3-understanding-how.html

He's covered any advice I could give in exhaustive detail. Only caveat is the three hours in advance for battery preconditioning is now four hours on any post-2015 firmware.

Yep I read that the other day but according to the I3 UK FB Group that 10 Deg C is perfectly fine and working as normal that it heats the battery enough to allow full regen.

20 Deg C that I read about was probably a hot climate and it cooled the battery to this temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

nice car, too expensive for the value in my experience, but hey the flying propeller has to be worth something right

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If you are into your spec, he got a decent deal. Basically €15k off the list price including extras for a 7 month old car, was it, Mad_Lad? and offloaded his '15 24kWh Leaf that still had the finance package on it. Not the easiest car to sell privately either and expect decent money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

unkel wrote: »
    If you are into your spec, he got a decent deal. Basically €15k off the list price including extras for a 7 month old car, was it, Mad_Lad? and offloaded his '15 24kWh Leaf that still had the finance package on it. Not the easiest car to sell privately either and expect decent money for it.

oh I except he was in a bind with the expiration of his PCP, so he had to act. personally mine is up in early 2019 and I expect more choice

• Advertisement

37,500 was about 55K with all the extras, yes a good deal indeed !
    BoatMad wrote: »
    oh I except he was in a bind with the expiration of his PCP, so he had to act. personally mine is up in early 2019 and I expect more choice

Correct, and mighty glad I did too, great car very happy with it !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

BoatMad wrote: »
    Early 2019 means you could have a choice of Leaf 2, and possibly the newer offerings of Ioniq with larger battery, even a model 3 if you have a reservation especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Did I see you heading towards Ken Blacks?

Did I see you heading towards Ken Blacks?

You mean me ? today ? in carlow ? lol then yes that was me, where were you ?

I did a bit of i3 hacking today using bimmercode app on Iphone, really cool app.

Enables Am radio

yP4wcNe.jpg?1

And to my complete surprise I got Shortwave ! :D ok just the 49 meter band but still pretty cool and it receives a lot of stations on 49 meters which is crowded this time of the evening. Really happy with this. Shame on BMW for not activating all radio functions on the i3, however I've still to drive it with Am to see if the drivetrain really does interfere with reception.

vbOj9pS.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

You mean me ? today ? in carlow ? lol then yes that was me, where were you ?

I was in Seamus Byrnes and saw a grayish i3 going by. Thought it may get be you.

I also discovered you can set the Rex to come in below 6 % also right down to 1 % which would allow you to use a bit more battery but might effect performance if you needed Rex mode you’d have to be aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I also discovered you can set the Rex to come in below 6 % also right down to 1 % which would allow you to use a bit more battery but might effect performance if you needed Rex mode you’d have to be aware of this.

That's brilliant! You should do a write up in here.

That's brilliant! You should do a write up in here.

On Bimmercode ?

Unfortunately, too good to be true, AM/SW is dreadful once the motor kicks in, BMW say the carbon Fibre body is the reason for this interference that a metal body provides much better shielding, who knows ? but I can see why they disabled it, now the question remains whether they didn't bother to try shield it in the first place because originally BMW had stated that no one listens to MW these days anyway and they couldn't be more wrong and they realise this now and are working on making AM work. But I can bet BMW thought that anyone who buys such a car would only stream from phones and hardly use the FM radio never mind AM !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Not since Atlantic 252 anyway!

The carbon fibre body presents interesting challenges in aviation too, where they have to deal with manually putting in lightning dissipation routes - big difference from aluminium world.

Shame as I was really looking forward to having MW and 49 meters on the move !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

ELM327 wrote: »

Good price

Out of warranty, state of the art BMW is dodgy though

BMW make bangers these days and if you google i3 problems, a **** load of posts on it across forums

Little annoying things too, typical BMW issues

Haven't read much on drivetrain and battery problems, thats good, those little things like charge failing, fuel leaks, generator switch motor failing though

Leaf seems to be incredibly reliable, almost bombproof in comparison

You'll find problems on any EV/ICE you google for "carname problems".
    Someone on here has done over 100k in an i3 if memory serves?

• Advertisement

I think most of the issues with early i3’s Have been pretty much sorted now. Cros would be the man to ask about the I3.

Early leafs had issues charging also but it wasn’t too common , it is pretty bulletproof. Early leafs did have issues losing more capacity bars.

I’m really delighted I got the I3.

You'll find problems on any EV/ICE you google for "carname problems".
    Someone on here has done over 100k in an i3 if memory serves?

He's had a lot of things go wrong with that car, not major and under warranty

Little things that would add up

Mechanics don't call BMW ( bring money withyou) for nothing

Early i3 are way down on consumer reports, while Leaf is near the top

Also that rex thing isnt going that be useful with the small battery i3, what will the range be with it just charging battery?

Will it even do 200km?

General feeling is Rex is too weak to drive the car on its own, anything above 40mph and it's struggling big time and hills etc are dodgy out

They should have made it more powerful, it's got like 30bhp that little engine

I like Mad_Lad posts, but everything he buys is the best

Was the same with electric bike when he got it, then Leaf, now i3 Rex is the best thing ever

When he changes it in 3 years for a 75kWh 250bhp EV, the i3 Rex will be over complicated

The trick with the Rex is to know when you need it, rather than allow the battery % to fall to the point where it kicks in , for instance , you will have about the same range as a 24 kwh leaf in that 2015 i3 so if you know you got a 160 Km motorway stint then engage the Rex as soon as it allows at 75% and the battery % will drop much slower than if you used battery only.

Then at the next charge point fill her up with petrol, a 20 min charge and off you go again or if you don't want to you don't have to but Power can be limited if charge % goes below 6% , I never tried this so this could be a lower % where any power loss is noticeable.

On my motorway stint last week I lost 6% battery in 38 Kms at 120 Kph. However the Rex is a bit more powerful in the 33 Kwh. If you slow down then the charge % will actually climb again.

But at slower speeds as long as you have petrol there should be no issue with the Rex.

If you got say, 30% or more battery then you can use some of this when you get into town or slower traffic and then rex again when you get back out. Obviously it's better to find a charge point if you can.

Either way , the rex gives you a lot more options than having no backup at all.

What I'd do if I were you is take one for a test drive, some dealers should have the 22 Kwh in stock, get it for a day or two and see how you get on with it. But you won't want to give it back it's a lot of fun particularly off the motorway.

The trick with the Rex is to know when you need it, rather than allow the battery % to fall to the point where it kicks in , for instance , you will have about the same range as a 24 kwh leaf in that 2015 i3 so if you know you got a 160 Km motorway stint then engage the Rex as soon as it allows at 75% and the battery % will drop much slower than if you used battery only.

Then at the next charge point fill her up with petrol, a 20 min charge and off you go again or if you don't want to you don't have to but Power can be limited if charge % goes below 6% , I never tried this so this could be a lower % where any power loss is noticeable.

On my motorway stint last week I lost 6% battery in 38 Kms at 120 Kph. However the Rex is a bit more powerful in the 33 Kwh. If you slow down then the charge % will actually climb again.

But at slower speeds as long as you have petrol there should be no issue with the Rex.

If you got say, 30% or more battery then you can use some of this when you get into town or slower traffic and then rex again when you get back out. Obviously it's better to find a charge point if you can.

Either way , the rex gives you a lot more options than having no backup at all.

What I'd do if I were you is take one for a test drive, some dealers should have the 22 Kwh in stock, get it for a day or two and see how you get on with it. But you won't want to give it back it's a lot of fun particularly off the motorway.

I don't want to fill her up with petrol though! Not interested in using petrol day to day, or in supplementing my range with petrol. I'm a cheapskate and I have free EV charging at work, and nearly free at home. Don't want to pay for petrol unless absolutely necessary.

The idea of me buying a rex is that it has to comfortably do all my normal journeys on EV only (max trip about 160km) and then use the rex only irregularly.

I was looking at the range on the new rex 33kwh i3 and it seems to meet that but they are more expensive - not too far off repayments on a cheaper model S. The absolute cheapest Rex i3 94ah is below, approx 27k euro plus VRT (which is not free due to the BEVx)

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710039918777?advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=ig61lu&fuel-type=Hybrid&radius=1500&aggregatedTrim=94%20Ah&make=BMW&model=I3&sort=price-asc&page=1

thierry14 wrote: »

I like Mad_Lad posts, but everything he buys is the best

Was the same with electric bike when he got it, then Leaf, now i3 Rex is the best thing ever

When he changes it in 3 years for a 75kWh 250bhp EV, the i3 Rex will be over complicated

This sums you up nicely !

internet-troll.jpg?resize=1160%2C770

I don't want to fill her up with petrol though! Not interested in using petrol day to day, or in supplementing my range with petrol. I'm a cheapskate and I have free EV charging at work, and nearly free at home. Don't want to pay for petrol unless absolutely necessary.

The idea of me buying a rex is that it has to comfortably do all my normal journeys on EV only (max trip about 160km) and then use the rex only irregularly.

I was looking at the range on the new rex 33kwh i3 and it seems to meet that but they are more expensive - not too far off repayments on a cheaper model S. The absolute cheapest Rex i3 94ah is below, approx 27k euro plus VRT (which is not free due to the BEVx)

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710039918777?advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=ig61lu&fuel-type=Hybrid&radius=1500&aggregatedTrim=94%20Ah&make=BMW&model=I3&sort=price-asc&page=1

That one is a good buy, great price

Under warranty, almost new car

Big battery too

They are like 45K new, damn thats some depreciation for a BMW

Crazy

Buy a 17 reg like that, paying almost 20k euro for a 15 with no warranty and small battery is mad

Not far off the cost of a Model S if you're talking new but a 2nd hand 33 Kwh like I got is quiet a lot cheaper than a 2nd hand model S unless you're talking 40-60 Kwh Model S then maybe it could be a close call. And are there superchargers near you on on your routes you take ? Charging it on 50 Kw DC will be slow.

thierry14 wrote: »
    That one is a good buy, great price

Under warranty, almost new car

Big battery too

They are like 45K new, damn thats some depreciation for a BMW

Crazy

Buy a 17 reg like that, paying almost 20k euro for a 15 with no warranty and small battery is mad
    Agreed, the 33kWh is much more desirable.
    Not far off the cost of a Model S if you're talking new but a 2nd hand 33 Kwh like I got is quiet a lot cheaper than a 2nd hand model S unless you're talking 40-60 Kwh Model S then maybe it could be a close call. And are there superchargers near you on on your routes you take ? Charging it on 50 Kw DC will be slow.

Cheapest model S, albeit a 60, is £35k. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712182134605?postcode=ig61lu&sort=price-asc&make=TESLA&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=1
    I'd prefer a tesla if the repayments were even in the same ballpark.

There's a supercharger 50km north of my house (so if i were going to belfast it would be en route)
    Same with ballacolla, its enroute to my parents house. It would cover most of my journeys, remember you dont need to charge until over 250km in even a MS60. I'd be aiming for an 85 though,there was one for £32k a couple of weeks ago.

Charging on 50kW DC isnt a problem in a model S, it's not mahoosively fast but still the same speed as charging an i3 at 50kW DC.

A lot of miles for the price no ?

Best is to take the two for a drive, the Model S is of course much larger. EPA range of 335 Kms, give or take as we know. Probably 220-250 winter at 120 Kph ?

I was swinging towards Model S also but not interested in importing + it was a lot more expensive than the i3 Rex that I got which has decent spec and 9,000 kms.

• Advertisement

A lot of miles for the price no ?

Best is to take the two for a drive, the Model S is of course much larger. EPA range of 335 Kms, give or take as we know. Probably 220-250 winter at 120 Kph ?

I was swinging towards Model S also but not interested in importing + it was a lot more expensive than the i3 Rex that I got which has decent spec and 9,000 kms.
    We need to get away from the attachment to the odometer when considering an EV.
    Other than first gen (2011-2013) leafs it doesnt make much different at all.

It's not a bag of bolts from the 19th century clattering together with explosions of dino juice and spark plugs which will expire at 100k miles. It's an electric motor with very few moving parts.

I'd prefer a tesla with 400k miles than an equivalent ICE (s-klasse, 7 series etc) with 100k.

I would consider purchasing here but the prices are ludicrous (no pun intended) for second hand models, 20k over the cost of importing a similar spec from the UK. There was one at €52k from a private sale earlier, it was relatively cheap but as it was a pre-AP car it would have had to have been in the low-mid 40's for me to buy it really.

I think at the end of the day I will end up buying a model S , just have to get these silly thoughts about REX out of my head. I am not going to pay €500 a month for an i3 when I could have a model S for €700-750, you know?

I intend to head down to Sandyford and get a test drive, in the new year.
    I am betwixt and between getting a model S next year, or getting a stopgap for 2-3 years first (this is where the i3, along with the Outlander, Volt, etc come in) before getting a better specced model S in 2-3 years time.

Advertisement