Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2018 EV Incentive Program for Irish Taxi Drivers

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Spotted 2 Leafs (leaves?) with taxi plates in the space of 5 minutes today.

There’s a couple in Dublin alright

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

one of the stated reason the taskforce developed and promoted the taxi incentive is actually to make taxi passengers more aware of EVs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

BoatMad wrote: »
    one of the stated reason the taskforce developed and promoted the taxi incentive is actually to make taxi passengers more aware of EVs
    very clever - real world advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Spotted 2 Leafs (leaves?) with taxi plates in the space of 5 minutes today.
    The plural of leafs is a bush. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

hi, Just wondering is the eSPSV gran scheme the same as the govt private buyers grant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

ec18 wrote: »
    hi, Just wondering is the eSPSV gran scheme the same as the govt private buyers grant?

No they are separate. As far as I'm aware SPSV drivers are eligible for the commercial EV grant (€3,800 vs €5k for the private grant) in addition to the SPSV grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Details of the 2019 scheme are here https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/eSPSV_Grant_Scheme_2019_-_Information_Guide.pdf

It seems like a good idea to give taxis EV grants but I am wondering where taxis driving EVs would fit in with the T&Cs of battery warranties? Surely using it as a taxi would void the warranty?
    Also say if a taxi was doing 50,000kms per year and clocked it up to 250,000kms in five years what sort of state would the battery be in? Would the car be virtually worthless at that point without spending thousands on a new battery? What about replacing cells, is this technology advanced properly yet and is it affordable vis a vis a new battery?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Would not worry about battery and mileage, my mate has a Leaf 24 with 220,000kms and his battery is at 84% at 5 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I regularly see 2 >=2018 leaf taxis in Navan town, there's a chap in the IEVOA facebook group that has a leaf40 as a taxi too. This grant seems to be helping.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nearly certain there's a leaf taxi in Castlebar too.

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    Would not worry about battery and mileage, my mate has a Leaf 24 with 220,000kms and his battery is at 84% at 5 years old

That is some going in fairness. Any ideas of what range he gets at 84%?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    That is some going in fairness. Any ideas of what range he gets at 84%?

Sorry no, just bumped into him last week, must ask next time

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smithy1981

I presume the model 3 would be passed for a taxi?, anyone going that route? I've heard the back seats are tight for space so i'd have to see one in person to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭Ryath

smithy1981 wrote: »
    I presume the model 3 would be passed for a taxi?, anyone going that route? I've heard the back seats are tight for space so i'd have to see one in person to be sure.

Can't imagine why not it won't need a waiver for luggage @425l just over the 420l cut off.

Tesla-Model-3-rearseat-passenger-space.jpg

From pics rear legroom looks decent roof does look low though. It's certainly no worse than a mk1 Focus saloon which is about the smallest car I can see on approved list. (Bar the Zoe :D )

See the eGolf has a waiver now
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Model_Report_Database_01-02-18_PDF.pdf

I'm open to correction here but remember hearing last year that the Tesla Model 3 is not deemed as suitable as a taxi by the NTA- it was something about privacy glass or else the angle of the windows. This Feb 1st 2019 document here is saying the Model 3 is acceptable as a limosine or a hackey but not as a taxi.
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/eSPSV_Grant_Vehicles_2019.pdf

If they allow a Zoe to be a taxi, the model 3 will be given a waver too.

I'm open to correction here but remember hearing last year that the Tesla Model 3 is not deemed as suitable as a taxi by the NTA- it was something about privacy glass or else the angle of the windows. This Feb 1st 2019 document here is saying the Model 3 is acceptable as a limosine or a hackey but not as a taxi.
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/eSPSV_Grant_Vehicles_2019.pdf

I don't see the Model 3 on that list anywhere?

Its a hackney service i have by the way, had a 15 Octavia fail a test last week over the windows, its a really common problem with newer cars in general now i was told

So if the Model 3 is priced at 35k the grant will take another 7 off that?

Its a hackney service i have by the way, had a 15 Octavia fail a test last week over the windows, its a really common problem with newer cars in general now i was told

sorry my bad, it is the Model S that has not been allowed as a taxi but is deemed suitable as a limosuine. Model 3 is not on that list anywhere so you can only take it that it has not (yet) made the waiver scheme for suitability as a taxi. I think it will in future but that 2019 list has only just been published a few weeks ago so I doubt it will be any earlier than 2020.

As far as the grant goes you can get €7k for a brand new EV and a further €3,800 grant from the SEAI provided the car costs more than €18k. So a total of €10,800 in grants is available if buying brand new
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/grant-amounts/
    If you are buying second hand then the €3,800 SEAI grant is not available and also the €7,000 grant goes down in scale depending on the age of the second hand EV you are buying.

On top of that there is a grant available for a home charger, I think it is €600 or so. You'd definitely need a home charger if using an EV as a taxi as the charging network here is not yet properly developed and could be very frustrating if you need a charge to continue working but can't find a free fast charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,897 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Think as well that it's more to do with fitting a standard sized fold up wheelchair flat in the boot rather than any considerations to shoulder width etc.

• Advertisement

Yes
    You need to get the price before incentives then take off the taxi grant and the business SEAI grant which I think is 3800

Meaning, if the M3 qualifies as a taxi, you could buy a new one for under 25k. Crazy. (Brilliant, hopefully all new taxis are model3 so, it's a no brainer)

sorry my bad, it is the Model S that has not been allowed as a taxi but is deemed suitable as a limosuine. Model 3 is not on that list anywhere so you can only take it that it has not (yet) made the waiver scheme for suitability as a taxi. I think it will in future but that 2019 list has only just been published a few weeks ago so I doubt it will be any earlier than 2020.

As far as the grant goes you can get €7k for a brand new EV and a further €3,800 grant from the SEAI provided the car costs more than €18k. So a total of €10,800 in grants is available if buying brand new
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/grant-amounts/
    If you are buying second hand then the €3,800 SEAI grant is not available and also the €7,000 grant goes down in scale depending on the age of the second hand EV you are buying.

On top of that there is a grant available for a home charger, I think it is €600 or so. You'd definitely need a home charger if using an EV as a taxi as the charging network here is not yet properly developed and could be very frustrating if you need a charge to continue working but can't find a free fast charger.

Is that grant available for commercial users? I thought it only applied to private individuals. Either way a standard install is not likely to be more than €600 anyway.

If you have even the standard 220mile/350km range version as a taxi and you charge to full at home every night on night rate, you'll likely never need a charge on the road. Especially in the city even with an odd airport run.

I emailed the NTA to see about the Tesla Model 3's suitability as a taxi and about the grant for it. As Muahaha mentioned above no new cars will be added to the scheme this year unfortunately.

"At this point in time, the NTA are unable to determine if the Tesla 3 model would be considered acceptable to be licensed as a Small Public Service Vehicle (SPSV) as this vehicle model is currently not available on the Irish market.

Once the Tesla Model 3 vehicle becomes available, the NTA will then be able to make a decision if the vehicle would be deemed acceptable or not.

Regarding the eSPSV Grant Scheme 2019. A list of approved vehicles for this scheme is available on our website nationaltransport.ie. Please see below link for your convenience: https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/eSPSV_Grant_Vehicles_2019.pdf

Please note that no new vehicles will be added to this list this year. Therefore, you will not be able to receive any Grant funding for a Tesla model 3 through this year’s eSPSV Grant Scheme"

So the only realistic option is the Leaf? I mean the Zoe and golf definitely wouldn't suit my needs, either would the van.

Kinda annoyed now, had pictured myself in a M3 for Xmas

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I emailed the NTA to see about the Tesla Model 3's suitability as a taxi and about the grant for it. As Muahaha mentioned above no new cars will be added to the scheme this year unfortunately.

"At this point in time, the NTA are unable to determine if the Tesla 3 model would be considered acceptable to be licensed as a Small Public Service Vehicle (SPSV) as this vehicle model is currently not available on the Irish market.

Once the Tesla Model 3 vehicle becomes available, the NTA will then be able to make a decision if the vehicle would be deemed acceptable or not.

Regarding the eSPSV Grant Scheme 2019. A list of approved vehicles for this scheme is available on our website nationaltransport.ie. Please see below link for your convenience: https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/eSPSV_Grant_Vehicles_2019.pdf

Please note that no new vehicles will be added to this list this year. Therefore, you will not be able to receive any Grant funding for a Tesla model 3 through this year’s eSPSV Grant Scheme"

So the only realistic option is the Leaf? I mean the Zoe and golf definitely wouldn't suit my needs, either would the van.

Kinda annoyed now, had pictured myself in a M3 for Xmas

Hyundai Ioniq? Or is that not on the list?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hyundai Ioniq? Or is that not on the list?

Not on the list..

ELM327 wrote: »
    Is that grant available for commercial users? I thought it only applied to private individuals. Either way a standard install is not likely to be more than €600 anyway.

If you have even the standard 220mile/350km range version as a taxi and you charge to full at home every night on night rate, you'll likely never need a charge on the road. Especially in the city even with an odd airport run.

Its a good question re: the grant for installing a home charger and weather you can get it if using for commercial (taxi) use. I'd imagine only the SEAI would know the answer. It would be a bit strange for the SEAI to be offering grants for EV cars but not allowing the grant for the home charger by commercial vehicles but you never know.

Just on the Model 3 for €35,000, from the Model 3 thread on this forum people who have them on order seem to think that the €35k price won't be achieved by the time it is imported here and it is likely to be closer to €40k brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭samjames

cros13 wrote: »
    Pricing not officially released yet :)

Not a whole lot more than the current eNV200 price you can see on the Nissan site.

Yup! Or an XE Leaf for around 18k. Or a new 2017 24kWh SVE for ~10k if they can still find one come February.

The big thing is the grant applies to used vehicles as well. So they could pick up a cheap 2013 or 2014 Leaf or Zoe from the UK and get most (or all) of the purchase price back in the grant.
    Of course something like that would make a less than ideal taxi.

Better picks would be:
    Ioniq - £23-25k used - 0 VRT on import due to the credit - €7k back on the grant - landed price ex grant of €19-21k - meets SPSV vehicle regs - 8 year 200k km europe-wide warranty on the powertrain.
    Tesla Model S - £43-45k for a 2014 - €2-3k VRT on import due to the credit - €7k back on the grant - meets SPSV vehicle regs - 4 year manufacturer CPO warranty
    Peugeot Partner Tepee Electric - difficult to find ~£10-12k - 0 VRT on import due to the credit - €7k back on the grant - landed price ex grant of €4-6k - meets SPSV vehicle regs
    Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - £13-15k for a 2014 - €2-3k VRT on import due to the credit - €3.5k back on the grant - meets SPSV vehicle regs
    hi if i bought one of these a year or two old in the UK, can i still claim the 7k grant back

thanks

samjames wrote: »
    hi if i bought one of these a year or two old in the UK, can i still claim the 7k grant back

thanks
    I don't think that car is eligible for the grant. The list of eligible cars is a few posts above.

And I don't think you get the full 7k unless it's a new car?

samjames wrote: »

thanks

The 7k grant is only for new cars. It then goes down on a sliding scale which you can see on the NTA site, its something like €6k for a 1 year old car, €5k for a 2 year old car and so on.

Also don't forget the SEAI also gives a €3,800 grant on top of the €7k grant available from the NTA. But you need to check out the T&Cs- I doubt the SEAI grant of €3,800 is available if you import a new car from the UK, I would think you have to buy it here from an Irish dealer.

Basically you need to do the maths over buying second hand or new. If you buy brand new here then you can get a total of €10,800 in grants. If you buy it as a one year old then the max grant is €6k so quite a difference.

You have to get written approval from the NTA for the grant before purchasing in any case. Do not go out buying a car and applying for the grant later because they won't give it to you, it has to be approved by them ahead of time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement