Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kia Niro EV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

cros13 wrote: »
    I think whoever you talked to may be confused. The PHEV Niro will be in the Irish dealerships soon. The Niro EV won't be until the 191 reg.

Dealers confused and talking complete balls about EVs? Ah come on now, that's far fetched...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Will there be a 7 seater version ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ted1 wrote: »

Doubt it, the 7 seater market is not really a focus from most vendors from what I can see....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    ted1 wrote: »

Doubt it, the 7 seater market is not really a focus from most vendors from what I can see....
    Disappointing, especially as most of them
    Tend to be used fir school runs etc and the range suits them perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 15,514 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Will be interesting to see what Kia plan is with the Sportage, going forward will the Sportage just be the diesel version and die along with diesel? The Sportage is a little bigger than the Niro so will they kept both lines?

The Sportage and Tucson are the same SUV so would be interesting if Hyundai just released a Tucson EV, it would clean up....

Still can’t understand why Nissan have never bothered after all these years to not release a Qashqai EV

Will be interesting to see what Kia plan is with the Sportage, going forward will the Sportage just be the diesel version and die along with diesel? The Sportage is a little bigger than the Niro so will they kept both lines?

I doubt Kia would just drop the Sportage name its in its fourth generation now and is there most popular car. Its Kia,s Golf basically. I am sure Kia have a plan maybe they will make it bigger or offer it with electric drivetrains as well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

I have an Ioniq and was thinking of trading up for a longer range kona or niro . When I sell the ioniq, Would have had it for about 1.5 years. If I were to buy a new EV would I still get the government grant for it ( after having gotten it for the Ioniq )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,067 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Dglflyer wrote: »
    I have an Ioniq and was thinking of trading up for a longer range kona or niro . When I sell the ioniq, Would have had it for about 1.5 years. If I were to buy a new EV would I still get the government grant for it ( after having gotten it for the Ioniq )

Yes, the grant is tied to the car not the owner, unless they changed the rules, which is unlikely.

You wouldnt get a second home charge point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Yes, the grant is on the vehicle not the buyer. I've had three EVs with the SEAI grants so far and in April will be drawing down the fourth.

thx all, I have driven 37k in 10 months. The Ioniq is great but given all the driving the longer rang Kona ( 64 kwh batter ~390km range) would make like a lot easier. Have saved the lions share of 4000 euro on diesel . The age of oil is over

cros13 , what kind of EVs do you have if you dont mind me asking .. do you have a favourite ?

• Advertisement

cros13 , what kind of EVs do you have if you dont mind me asking .. do you have a favourite ?

141 24 kWh Leaf SVE traded for a 161 30kWh Leaf SV
    And my 151 i3 (which I have over 150,000km on)

Of course the i3 is the favorite.... but then again it cost ~2.5 times the price of the Leaf SVE once I'd optioned it up :D

The 30kWh Leaf was sold last month and I have a deposit down for a 40kWh Nissan eNV200, delivery in April.

The i3 is being swapped for a Model 3 as soon as my reservation number gets drawn out of the hat.

Your place must be like EV Central :-) , Couldnt wait for the model 3 , Kona should be in showrooms late April/May according to Hyundai , hoping to get my hands on one by the summer . will see

Your place must be like EV Central :-) , Couldnt wait for the model 3 , Kona should be in showrooms late April/May according to Hyundai , hoping to get my hands on one by the summer . will see

Yup, ten EVs in my extended family now.

Kona should be unveiled in Geneva in March. I know Hyundai's factories have started receiving the batteries at least in small quantities, so a May arrival in Irish showrooms isn't out of the question.
    In South Korea, Hyundai is already taking Kona EV orders & deposits.

The crucial matter is how many Kona EVs Hyundai Ireland asked for and what kind of allocation did they actually get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

KCross wrote: »
    Yes, the grant is tied to the car not the owner, unless they changed the rules, which is unlikely.

Would he not get the €600 chargepoint grant?

Soarer wrote: »

Would he not get the €600 chargepoint grant?

The T&C's say you can't claim for a charge point if you already got one from eCars.

The T&C's say you can't claim for a charge point if you already got one from eCars.

There is some fine print to that. For example, I'll be claiming a chargepoint for the new eNV200 despite claiming three free ESB chargepoints.

The reason is while the new grant is limited to one per applicant, the restriction is on MPRNs (ESB meter number) on which an SEAI EV grant (the €5k) was claimed prior to 2018. I have a new MPRN.... so I can still claim the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Anyone know if there are specs released the for the phev version and the full EV version?

Just wondering if it is worth taking the phev one for a spin when the demo models arrive in the next couple of months... Mainly to see what the full EV will be like.

Having never bought a new car (only owned 3 cars in 22 years of driving) really would like to see and drive the car before buying but also concerned with supply issues and half expect that the only people to get an EV niro will the ones who order before the cars arrive

Anyone know if there are specs released the for the phev version and the full EV version?

Just wondering if it is worth taking the phev one for a spin when the demo models arrive in the next couple of months... Mainly to see what the full EV will be like.

Having never bought a new car (only owned 3 cars in 22 years of driving) really would like to see and drive the car before buying but also concerned with supply issues and half expect that the only people to get an EV niro will the ones who order before the cars arrive

You wont be able to order till the details come out so could test drive then

The cost of manufacture is high so I would say not a whole pile of difference in regards to interior.

Nothing better than bringing a car for a test drive, you dont have to buy it :P I do it all the time

While the interior will be almost identical, the issue will be that the PHEV won't drive like the BEV.
    The PHEV has a 45kW electric motor vs 150kW for the BEV, weight distribution will also be entirely different and given it's based on the Ioniq platform we may see an entirely different rear suspension too.

Taking a look at the PHEV will certainly inform you as to the physical dimensions/storage space/seating position, test driving an Ioniq EV in sport mode would provide better insight into the powertrain (even though the Ioniq only has an 88kW motor)

Specs

| PHEV | BEV
    Electric Motor Power | 45kW | 150kW
    Battery Capacities | 8.9kWh | 64kWh
    EV Range (EPA) | 42km | ~400km

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Thanks cro13... Good info as always. Visual inspection of the niro then and a test drive of the ionic required.
    Always wanted a spin in the ionic anyway. Must take an inspection of the Kona while I'm in Hyundai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Thanks cro13... Good info as always. Visual inspection of the niro then and a test drive of the ionic required.
    Always wanted a spin in the ionic anyway. Must take an inspection of the Kona while I'm in Hyundai

You’d be blown away when testing the iOniq. Get it for 24h to properly feel the breeze.

Just seen the PHEV is launched....looks nice....reading the brochure it has he following:

Durable and lightweight, the
    1.56 kWh lithium-ion polymer
    battery efficiently controls
    electrical energy and cools more
    effectively. Safely positioned
    below the rear seats, the battery
    comes with a 7-year warranty.

A 1.56kWh battery can't be right?

The Prius has 4.4kWh from my reading

Just seen the PHEV is launched....looks nice....reading the brochure it has he following:

Durable and lightweight, the
    1.56 kWh lithium-ion polymer
    battery efficiently controls
    electrical energy and cools more
    effectively. Safely positioned
    below the rear seats, the battery
    comes with a 7-year warranty.

A 1.56kWh battery can't be right?

The Prius has 4.4kWh from my reading

Thats the Hybrid.
    The PHEV has 8.9kWh battery.

Thats the Hybrid.
    The PHEV has 8.9kWh battery.

They would want to update the brochure on website :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Anyone got a price for the Niro PHEV?

A UK review I read claimed you can charge this from an ordinary 10A socket - is this true?

vienne86 wrote: »
    Anyone got a price for the Niro PHEV?

A UK review I read claimed you can charge this from an ordinary 10A socket - is this true?

35,995 according to pricing on website

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Thanks for that - on kiamotors.ie or kia.com/ie/ I'm still not getting a price - if you have a link, could you post it?

vienne86 wrote: »

That is true of every modern EV or PHEV once you have the appropriate cable.

However, 10A (via 3-pin socket) is a very slow charge rate. Typically you would install a charge point that allows you to charge at 16A or 32A to speed things up a bit. That isn't a 3-pin socket though. Its a special EV charge point and a different cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ei9go

less 5000 seai grant

Advertisement