Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kia Niro EV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

kuro68k wrote: »
    liamog wrote: »
    Kinda seemed like you were looking for an excuse to cancel all along, what was the missing feature that finalised your decision?

I have a UK order that I'll take up. It's a long story, not just the spec, although in the end it's kind of "why spend more time figuring out what else is missing, and then pay more anyway?"

I would suggest that if your pick up date in UK is AFTER late October - you should consider the WTO 10 percent tarriff that a no deal Brexit will mean for you.

Also potential issues with VAT as UK after 31st of October wont be EU member.

Edit you may read that the UK has rolled over a trade deal with Korea.

That's totally separate to the EU wheeling and dealing on Brexit.

And won't change your WTO tarriff situation when bringing in a car from UK after 31st of October.

Don't assume an extension or deal will kick in either

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Also MPH on the dash. That bugs me no end and ultimately stopped me from buying a UK Ioniq. in favour of a slightly lower spec Irish one.

Isn't the dash electronic and can be changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Hurrache wrote: »
    Isn't the dash electronic and can be changed?

If it's like the Ioniq, and it looks to be a very similar system, it seems to be nigh on impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

If it's like the Ioniq, and it looks to be a very similar system, it seems to be nigh on impossible.

If it is in mph, would it even pass the NCT?!

Didn't know that. I was in a UK one and asked the dealer at the time can it be changed easily to KPH and he said yes. Now I wonder if that was the case, why wasn't it already done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

grogi wrote: »
    If it is in mph, would it even pass the NCT?!
    in UK ioniqs there is one small km/h display and this is sufficient to pass NCT requirement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Didn't know that. I was in a UK one and asked the dealer at the time can it be changed easily to KPH and he said yes. Now I wonder if that was the case, why wasn't it already done.

What else would a dealer say, honestly they are useless and only provide a response you want to hear, anything to get a sale

slave1 wrote: »
    What else would a dealer say, honestly they are useless and only provide a response you want to hear, anything to get a sale

I had no reason to disbelieve him given the dash is digital. Like I said there's plenty of other cars with similar displays than can be changed in the settings, so I had no reason, nor had he probably, to believe otherwise.

I had no reason to disbelieve him given the dash is digital. Like I said there's plenty of other cars with similar displays than can be changed in the settings, so I had no reason, nor had he probably, to believe otherwise.

Oh, I'm not doubting yourself, just if you want a question answered on an EV then come on a forum like this and not a dealer.
    Leaf is a bit funny like that, the UK one can be switched to KMs in seconds but an Irish one is stuck on KM and can't be switched to miles

Just remembering, when I bought my L30 they told me it was 6.6 charging and I had to tell them it was 3.3 even after their head of technical checked and confirmed it was a 6.6 (it's a 3.3) and the funniest was they told me it had the solar thingy on the rear roof and it was quite obvious from looking at it that it that it did not but they looked at the piece of paper in front of them and insisted it had it LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I've no idea about the niro, but the ioniq cannot be changed. Having said that there is km on each of the three different layouts anyway, so it's not that big a deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

slave1 wrote: »
    Just remembering, when I bought my L30 they told me it was 6.6 charging and I had to tell them it was 3.3 even after their head of technical checked and confirmed it was a 6.6 (it's a 3.3) and the funniest was they told me it had the solar thingy on the rear roof and it was quite obvious from looking at it that it that it did not but they looked at the piece of paper in front of them and insisted it had it LOL

Sorry to side track slightly, how can you tell that it is 3.3 or 6.6?
    Is it on the dash where it gives you time to fully charge? ( as I may buy one, depending on price of new ZOE, 208 etc)
    I see in pics where seller says it 6.6 you get 2 times, one for 3.3 & other for 6.6
    Is that the only way?
    Also, thanks

FaganJr wrote: »
    Sorry to side track slightly, how can you tell that it is 3.3 or 6.6?
    Is it on the dash where it gives you time to fully charge? ( as I may buy one, depending on price of new ZOE, 208 etc)
    I see in pics where seller says it 6.6 you get 2 times, one for 3.3 & other for 6.6
    Is that the only way?
    Also, thanks

That's the easiest, you can also stick your mobile phone down the side of the motor and take a photo as there's a stamp plate with the charger rating there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

FaganJr wrote: »
    Is that the only way?

That or by physically looking at the plate attached to the charger itself under the bonnet, which is difficult to actually see.

So, realistically, the 6.6 in the dash is the only way to know.

EDIT: slave1 got there before me!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

kevin16w wrote: »
    I went with the red. It’s very striking in the flesh. Really like the look. Although some might say a bit flash.

My dealer just contacted me and siad they have a Red e-niro If I want it , Niceone, I was hoping for a red one when I saw your picture yesterday!

I've had two red cars before, never again, both had problems with paintwork/lacquer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Its been a few years since I have seen a red car turn pink or the lacquer peel off. Happened to me on a Citroen AX GT, it was the cool car on the block where I lived for 18 months until it went pink.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Do you not get to pick the color?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kevin16w

I had a choice. Went with red as felt it was striking colour. Have never had red before. Hope I don’t have the same issues as ye had. It does look amazing in flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

kevin16w wrote: »
    I had a choice. Went with red as felt it was striking colour. Have never had red before. Hope I don’t have the same issues as ye had. It does look amazing in flesh.

Metallic red will be fine, it’s the flat reds that normally have the problems

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yeah, wife has a Sportage in that colour and it's still perfect after 3 years and some insane mileage (100,000km ish).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

Yeah Its metallic so I think it will be fine, my parents have a 141 Red car and its perfect still, I don't think Red has these issues now even the non metallic is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

The e Niro isn't coming with a "granny" charger, apparently. Kia are said to have withdrawn the chargers since the 1st of June (even with the PHEV) due to issues with units melting. :eek:

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I used the portable charger when I visited family in the UK and felt it was fairly necessary as there is no charging infrastructure anywhere near them.

Now, that was in the Ioniq with the 28kWh battery. The Niro has probably around twice the range of the Ioniq and arriving at their house with 25% battery will be a whole other thing in the Niro.

So, do I mourn the loss of the portable charger, or will the range of the Niro make it unnecessary? I don't really want to set their house on fire.

Can other buyers check with their dealers to confirm that this is the case with their cars also?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

Hi Guys,
    Does any one know if there are any 64kwh battery eniro's for order. I called a few places and they are gone. I had ordered one with a verbal agreement with Gavin in joe duffy motors. When I called the other day to make further arrangements I found out he had left the company. His allocation was redistributed to other folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's tough luck :(

Your best bet is to ring every Kia dealer in Ireland and see what they say, put yourself on their cancellation list if they don't have any left.

The e Niro isn't coming with a "granny" charger, apparently. Kia are said to have withdrawn the chargers since the 1st of June (even with the PHEV) due to issues with units melting. :eek:

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I used the portable charger when I visited family in the UK and felt it was fairly necessary as there is no charging infrastructure anywhere near them.

Now, that was in the Ioniq with the 28kWh battery. The Niro has probably around twice the range of the Ioniq and arriving at their house with 25% battery will be a whole other thing in the Niro.

So, do I mourn the loss of the portable charger, or will the range of the Niro make it unnecessary? I don't really want to set their house on fire.

Can other buyers check with their dealers to confirm that this is the case with their cars also?

I do remember when the first SR eniros came to the fore court and I got a spin in one, the dealer said to me that the granny cable was being changes because the cable was not of the correct CSA to take the current.
    Thats a pretty big safety oversight. But surely they cant just discontinue supplying them because of that, one would imagine they would rectify the issue going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Does the Kona come with a granny charger cable? strange if it works and eNiro doesn't?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

With 400km ranges maybe the need for granny chargers as standard is much lower.

In three years we've had to use ours with the Ioniq twice. One of those we could have made an alternative arrangement and used a rapid charger near the destination.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Does the Kona come with a granny charger cable? strange if it works and eNiro doesn't?

The kona did come with it, unless they have recently changed that

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

I'll definitely expect one, it was listed on the spec sheet I was given recently for a UK delivery. Also expecting car mats as other people seem to have got them included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

liamog wrote: »
    With 400km ranges maybe the need for granny chargers as standard is much lower.

In three years we've had to use ours with the Ioniq twice. One of those we could have made an alternative arrangement and used a rapid charger near the destination.

I would have to agree. I used mine with the Ioniq until the wall charger was installed (over a year ago). I haven’t taken it out of the bag since.

I can just about imagine using it on certain trips, like to a holiday home or to my friend who lives on “cold mountain”, but otherwise no. And if I had a 400km car, I don’t think I’d need it.

Advertisement