Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kia Niro EV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Now that you can reigster interest for information re the Kona i was hoping Kia would have done the same with the Niro.

Size wise i like the Niro and the Kona should be around the same price as Hyundai are slighly above Kia but the Niro is bigger so might even out.

A big selling point for both would be the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

FWIW, I asked a KIA rep at the recent SEAI exhib in the RDS about the Niro.

He was doubtful that the EV version would be offered here :eek:, just the PHEV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

0lddog wrote: »
    FWIW, I asked a KIA rep at the recent SEAI exhib in the RDS about the Niro.

He was doubtful that the EV version would be offered here :eek:, just the PHEV.

Any reason why it wouldn't?

Seeing as Hyundai are selling electric cars here?

Doesn't really make sense....apart from the fact they can sell you the PHEV now and he/she probably didn't know till you asked that Kia would release a BEV version of the Niro :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Doesn't really make sense....apart from the fact they can sell you the PHEV now and he/she probably didn't know till you asked that Kia would release a BEV version of the Niro :p

He was only a rep.

Your postulation that he didnt know about the BEV version 'till I asked my very well be correct.

I took a very dim view of the encounter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭denismc

I think Kia are set to make only 18000 units of the Niro for 2019 so it could be a case of supply and demand, those 18k units are going to get gobbled up very quick.

• Advertisement

denismc wrote: »
    I think Kia are set to make only 18000 units of the Niro for 2019 so it could be a case of supply and demand, those 18k units are going to get gobbled up very quick.

The only number I seen was 40,000 between the Kona and Niro in 2019....

The kona bev will be in Ireland....why wouldn’t Niro?

I would say as usual the sales person hadn’t a clue....done 5 min research on the PHEV and that was it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2019-kia-niro-ev-revealed-in-south-korea-125438.html#
    http://pulsenews.co.kr/view.php?year=2018&no=282340

Out in South Korea in July. Two battery options same as the Kona - 39kWh (240km) and 64kWh (380km).

64kWh Niro achieves 26km less range than the Kona according to what look like South Korean test cycle figures. Not bad given it's a bigger car.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2019-kia-niro-ev-revealed-in-south-korea-125438.html#
    http://pulsenews.co.kr/view.php?year=2018&no=282340

Out in South Korea in July. Two battery options same as the Kona - 39kWh (240km) and 64kWh (380km).

64kWh Niro achieves 26km less range than the Kona according to what look like South Korean test cycle figures. Not bad for given it's a bigger car.

It would be interesting to see when the Kona is been released in Korea and that might give a view of when the Niro will hit these shores

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I sat into a Niro PHEV today - very nice car. And the boot space doesn't seem to be very compromised by the battery. But of course there is no spare wheel - not even a space saver one. I suppose this is inevitable with a PHEV. I've never had a car without a spare wheel of some sort as I don't like the sound of these tyre repair kits.......am I the only one who would be concerned about noth having a spare wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

vienne86 wrote: »
    I sat into a Niro PHEV today - very nice car.l?

Spec is nice, but the drivetrain is slow. Any suddenly demand for power ends up with massive delay as the ice fires up and gearbox shullfes gears.

It is well priced, that's for sure...

Don't worry about the wheel. Just get a space saver and carry it around in the boot...

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Spec is nice, but the drivetrain is slow. Any suddenly demand for power ends up with massive delay as the ice fires up and gearbox shullfes gears.

It is well priced, that's for sure...

Don't worry about the wheel. Just get a space saver and carry it around in the boot...

OK - didn't drive one yet, but slow drivetrain wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Carrying even a mini spare wheel around in the boot, along with the charging cables....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭denismc

But of course there is no spare wheel - not even a space saver one. I suppose this is inevitable with a PHEV. I've never had a car without a spare wheel of some sort as I don't like the sound of these tyre repair kits.......am I the only one who would be concerned about noth having a spare wheel?

When is the last time you have had a puncture?
    I have my current car eight years and I think I have had one puncture.
    Lugging around a spare wheel does seem a waste of space to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Not only that, denismc, but pretty much every single fully comprehensive insurance policy now comes with free recovery service. Get a flat, ring the number and they'll take you and your car home or to a tyre place. I'd rather have the granny cable in the boot rather than a spare tyre in case of emergencies :D

I sat into a Niro PHEV today - very nice car. And the boot space doesn't seem to be very compromised by the battery. But of course there is no spare wheel - not even a space saver one. I suppose this is inevitable with a PHEV. I've never had a car without a spare wheel of some sort as I don't like the sound of these tyre repair kits.......am I the only one who would be concerned about noth having a spare wheel?

2 cars, no spares....

Last 2 cars didn't have a spare either....

Spares are so 80's :P

Thanks for the replies guys. You can guess what age bracket I'm in! I've had two punctures in my current Kia Carens. First one I called the Kia pickup (which was Allianz) and the second time I changed it myself.....very awkward spare wheel position in the Carens. I'm in the AA now.....so yeah, I might just have to get over myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Kia Assist is AA so you’ll be grand! I’m tempted by the EV since they put chargers in where I work. With my short commute I wouldn’t need a charger at home. I have the hybrid Niro just over a year and love it.

tk123 wrote: »
    Kia Assist is AA so you’ll be grand! I’m tempted by the EV since they put chargers in where I work. With my short commute I wouldn’t need a charger at home. I have the hybrid Niro just over a year and love it.

Plug in or normal hybrid?

Plug in or normal hybrid?

The normal one.

The Niro is just the make and shape of car that would suit me, so your satisfaction is good to hear. I just fancy the plug in idea and I could easily have a charger in my car port.

The normal one.

How do you find the fuel consumption?

I was talking to a friend....he mentioned that a neighbour bought and wasn't impressed with the fuel consumption.....it was second hand and he had no details....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Must call in KIA tomorrow and sit in one. Didn't know the NIRO was available yet.

How do you find the fuel consumption?

I was talking to a friend....he mentioned that a neighbour bought and wasn't impressed with the fuel consumption.....it was second hand and he had no details....

How long is a piece of string lol. Some days I get home and it could be 3.9 other days it could be in the 4's or 5's and that's driving in stop start dublin traffic. It really depends on the traffic and how you drive - the steadier the pace the better. The one thing I had to get used to is that it's always in Eco mode by default (in my old hyundai Eco was optional and after a few omg moments i never used Eco again).. If you've driven an auto with eco mode you'd know what I mean - you could be at a junction and put the foot down and the car has to 'econmically' get up to speed and gear by the book ... which could leave you crawling across a roundabout or rolling back etc so I tend to shift it into sports mode in certain places. If you're taking it for a test drive put the foot down and definitely compare eco and sports mode.

I'm always cold so I love the heated steering wheel :pac:.. which i thought was a gimmick until I had it lol!

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Must call in KIA tomorrow and sit in one. Didn't know the NIRO was available yet.

Niro is around, but Hybrid does not make sense. PHEV version is better equipped, nicer interior, has ~50km electric range and costs exactly the same... EV is not here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Much the same as in the Kona thread, its more to size it up and see how it feels.

No idea's on EV prices?

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Much the same as in the Kona thread, its more to size it up and see how it feels.

No idea's on EV prices?

If the Kona is 30 and 35 k then expect the Niro to be similar

So I was on the doss today and just "happened" to be passing a Kia garage with the Misses in the car :p

As we had some time to kill I asked if she might want to have a quick look at the Niro.

They have hybrid and PHEV on display. Sat into the PHEV and the spec/seats etc was very impressive. More importantly the Misses sat into it and loved it. Set up how we would have seats and then check rear leg room and huge plus.

The leather seats felt really nice if I compare to a Toyota Rav4. The boot space was ok...at best...

I was still looking around and next thing she was over with salesman asking about when she could buy the full electric :p

It was Ford/Kia garage so the guy was from the Ford side and had no idea. What was interesting was he knew about electric and said the Kia sales guy had gone on electric car training recently:D sounds like Kia might be serious about these electric cars

Depending on the price I might be onto a winner to replace the eGolf.

We did sit into the Stonic, I got a resounding no so will see when Kona comes out but it might not be a runner.

So I was on the doss today and just "happened" to be passing a Kia garage with the Misses in the car :p

As we had some time to kill I asked if she might want to have a quick look at the Niro.

They have hybrid and PHEV on display. Sat into the PHEV and the spec/seats etc was very impressive. More importantly the Misses sat into it and loved it. Set up how we would have seats and then check rear leg room and huge plus.

Niro is spacious enough. I could sit behind myself without touching anything with my knees. And I am 195cm with long (hairy) legs - which was a biggest stop in my supermodel career (hence cannot drive the Leaf).

We'll see - but with Model3 slipping away, long range Niro EV looks like an very good option.

If the Kona is 30 and 35 k then expect the Niro to be similar

Surely plus at least 2 grand for both? It's a full step up in size.

unkel wrote: »
    Surely plus at least 2 grand for both? It's a full step up in size.

Hyundai is seen as a more premium brand to Kia....like the Sportage was cheaper to ic35/Tucson......Sorento to Santa fei

Maybe wishful thinking but hopefully the Kia will be priced lower so when the Hyundai Niro version comes out it can into the higher price bracket.....

• Advertisement

Hyundai is seen as a more premium brand to Kia....

Aye and like the 7 year warranty on Kia and still slightly lower prices than Hyundai. I'm with you there. If the cars were seen as similar level, than the Niro would be at least €4k more than the Kona

A bit less of a difference than that surely because it's a Kia, but I doubt they will be about the same price!

Advertisement