Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2018 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

AhHaor wrote: »
    Played the Black Tees in Druids Heath on Monday, 29 points, was delighted. 11 and 12 scratched as well.

Oooooffff Id say you were tired after finishing!!Sounds like my idea of hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

Absolutely shattered, but that's as well as I've played in a while. Need to commit to every drive. Lot of walks back to tees, think it was about 16.5 km walk.

I don't know how pros can take places apart like they do. Heath is 7445 par 71, Quail Hollow is 7600 par 71.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

AhHaor wrote: »
    Absolutely shattered, but that's as well as I've played in a while. Need to commit to every drive. Lot of walks back to tees, think it was about 16.5 km walk.

I don't know how pros can take places apart like they do. Heath is 7445 par 71, Quail Hollow is 7600 par 71.

Ye played Heath last summer in sweltering heat, not off the backs and I nearly had to be carted from the course and I would consider myself fit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

36 points on Saturday. Gross 78.

1 birdie, 10 pars and 7 bogeys.

4 of the bogeys coming by the way of 3 putts which is disappointing, all were leaving the putt about 6 feet short which is bad. A 3 putt where you at least hit the first putt past the hole is more forgivable.

Hit 8/14 fairways and 14/18 GIR so there is some good golf in there, just need to make a few more putts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

28 Pts off 19 thats 3 0.1's n a row! Chipping is killing me.. I am actually averaging more pars per round than normal so I know my game has improved. So if I could just chip I'll have a great score! actually think I have the chipping yips as Im grand when practising..Put a scorecard in my hand and my chipping goes to tatters pitching is grand...

Played with a lad off single figures he gave me a few tips. To use my 56 deg instead of my 52 vokey as my 56 is part off my set (TM) and stand closer to the ball bringing club more upright..As I have been stand as if I was going for a full swing. I would normally run a ball in with a 9I and use my 52 for over bunkers etc so I'll give the 56 a go, cant be any worse! but was always under the impression the higher the loft the harder it was to chip with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

36 Points in Lough Erne playing a casual review thingy with Kevin Markham.

Thought I had 35 until I had a better look at the scores there now so very happy with it.

5 pars
    1 Birdie
    6 Bogies
    2 Double
    2 Triple (Index 1+3)
    2 Scratches

The course was class, really liked the layout and the views were something else. The greens were rough though where you could see alot of earth on the surface. Similar situation around the greens and sometimes in the rough where the ball would just nestle down onto patch where the grass wasn't growing. I couldn't get a good read on the greens and my chipping wasn't up to dealing with those lies otherwise I'm sure I would have scored better.

Oh and we played foursomes and we won pretty well, just can't remember the exact score.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

Shot an 84 gross (73 net) on a par 73 course in the monthly medal, didn’t win anything but got cut 0.4 (css was surprisingly 75). Played the intermediate scratch cup in Roganstown on Monday and shot an 85 gross to finish 2nd on a count back, I unfortunately had 42 putts. Roganstown was in fantastic condition and the greens were rolling well but very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BOB81

36pts in an open singles in mount Juliet on the bank holiday monday (off 15). Comp was played off the greens and a few of the tees were even on the yellow tee boxes (3rd), but not much run on the ball so the advantage of being so far forward was evened out to an extent.

Felt I left a few shots out there, put a ball in the water with a wedge from the middle of the 13th fairway (from my best drive of the day) which was frustrating. Had 2 other scratches due to errant tee shots. But I parred the last 4 holes so that put a gloss on things, and was v happy to par the 18th - even off the green tees its a tough finish.

1 birdie
    8 pars
    4 bogeys
    2 doubles
    3 scratches
    FW: 9/14
    GIR: 7/18

First time playing the course and some memorable individual holes (3rd, 4th, 10th, 13th all stood out), but I think we didn't catch the course on its best day condition wise - greens seemed slow and not in great nick, and fairways were still recovering from recent treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Myself and dad played in the first round of the club fourball matchplay during the week. We won our match at 9:55 PM in the pitch dark on the 17th! thank buggery we didnt have to go up 18. We couldnt see anything as it was....

Low man goes to scratch and 90% of the difference for the rest, so I was giving 5 shots to my opponents and my dad was getting 15 shots off me :D Two of the first four holes, I was giving them 2 of their shots, so our target starting out was to make sure we were still level in the match after the first four. I parred the first 4 holes which was enough for us to hold the match at level. My dad played utter scutter for the 4 holes, but when I was in trouble on 5 like every great champion, my dad got up and down from 150 yards for an unlikely half. It set the tone for the rest of our match, great dovetailing.

I won holes after that and dad was always there to save my skin for the half when he was needed. We got 3up after 14 when I hit my second shot on 14 to 3 feet. i was 110 yards out and used an 8 iron ( If you're reading that Rory. Wedges arent working, take out the 8iron ;) ) We just hung on after that and were lucky to win it on 17 because we could barely see the hole on 17, let alone read lines for it.

We take on my brother-in-law and his brother in the next round. A family grudge match! :D

99 Strokes in the Monthly Medal.

A couple of Pars but two ( I think it was only two) 8's.

Most of my strokes lost were on the green. I have my excuses ready and all :pac:

Honestly though some of the greens very very bad with pitchmarks, I got a good few that jumped off the putting surface when I hit them. Being a medal they had the pins in some very difficult spots aswell but there was also some complaints of the holes being raised ( not level with the green) and I seen some of this. I've never seen so many putts drop out instead of in on a given day.

Good and bad off the tee. Alot of right to left and some of the medal tee's really restrict how far right you can start it. Actually hit an overhanging tree on the 18th that I was trying to start right edge of the fairway.

Irons were very good for the most part hitting most greens or being pin high. Short game was up to scratch aswell.

Some badly executed shots and poor putting was the theme for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

21, 25 and then 29 points over three days in Enniscrone. Happy enough with the scores, except the 29. I had 28 points after 14 holes, and scratched 3 of the last 4. I've never been as mad at golf in my life. Calmed down later though and was happy i beat my previous days score.

Had to stop using my driver, as i can't hit it at all. Will work on that over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

first round of club match play and beaten on 17th.
    Won first hole to a lost ball and there ended any hope. My game was terrible, riddled with stupid errors like following opponent into trouble or 3 putts when I looked like I would/should make 2 from 10 feet.
    I was only getting one shot off opponent and lost tee shot OOB, they put 2nd into water and I proceeded to lose to a 6.
    Terrible terrible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Junior Scratch in my home course yesterday. Solid front 9 to by +1 on the 10th. Some good up and downs and scrambles to save par.

Par on 10 and just missed the par save on 11. So +2 on the 12th tee, reachable par 5 if you get a good drive away. Proceeded to knock it down into the marsh in front. Get it to the greenside bunker in 5. Then the bunker shot over the trees behind the green, try the miracle shot through a small gap catches a tree, then I can't get up and down. Walk off with a 10! Put my approach in the water and then 3 putt for a 7. So go from +2 to +10 in the space of 2 holes. The joy of strokes.

Managed to keep the head together to finish +13 overall for a net 79.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

A miserable 16 points on Saturday. Swing changes from lessons have me all over the place. I don't think I hit a decent one all day. Pitching wedge is my worst club now too when I used to see it as my most dependable.

Just need to persevere I guess and maybe play a round off the green tees for a change.

39 points of 26

5 pars, 5 bogies, 6 doubles and 2 triples. Feel I left a few out there with some terrible putting on front 9 but got going on way in, either way first cut of year and hopefully a few more to come

• Registered Users Posts: 27,633 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

35 points today playing off 18.

Started double bogey, double bogey but got it together and had 19 points on the front 9. Unfortunately had a double bogey on 10, scratched 12 (couldn't find my ball and provisional in the rough) and 16, to hit 16 points on the pack 9.

Overall very happy with my round. 6 pars and no three putts being the highlight. I also hit my longest drive this year (by about 25 yards) on the Par 5 third hole at 285 yards.

I could have easily had another 3 or 4 pars as I left myself with quite a few tap ins.

Looking forward to the next round already.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Getting gas boiler service today, so half day from work. Lad wasn't coming till later, could've worked on but the weather swayed me. Worked out well, had 84 strokes off 14, no placing, included a 9 on 3rd hole. Was like 40/41 points, had a 39 on back 9 (par 36) so utterly delighted!

Couldn't be done in a competition though of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Mushy wrote: »
    Getting gas boiler service today, so half day from work. Lad wasn't coming till later, could've worked on but the weather swayed me. Worked out well, had 84 strokes off 14, no placing, included a 9 on 3rd hole. Was like 40/41 points, had a 39 on back 9 (par 36) so utterly delighted!

I hope he was a Registered gas boiler installer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

kiers47 wrote: »
    Mushy wrote: »

I hope he was a Registered gas boiler installer!!

Don't care now, sun is out and golf was good

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Played in the open day in athlone today

Pure and utter scutter!

• Advertisement

34 Points Thursday

4 Pars
    6 Bogies
    6 Doubles
    2 Scratches

The first scratch was a lost ball 10yds into the rough,probably under some cut grass but highly frustrating and I didn't manage to get over it for a few holes.

The rest of the bad scores were down to rubbish shots more or less with some bad luck thrown in. Just didn't get going apart from a few false starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Not having a go but every time I read your posts it screams that you have a far to high hcap.

34 points should be considered a decent round only +2 over hcap and possibly a buffer zone

I need to play decent golf to score 34 points and a day like the above where I cant get going and mixed with bad luck it us a struggle to hit 30 points and often needing to work my bollocks off try make buffer. I get the impression you dont have the same problem and can easily cruise to 34 - 36 pts without playing near your best golf

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Not having a go but every time I read your posts it screams that you have a far to high hcap.

34 points should be considered a decent round only +2 over hcap and possibly a buffer zone

I need to play decent golf to score 34 points and a day like the above where I cant get going and mixed with bad luck it us a struggle to hit 30 points and often needing to work my bollocks off try make buffer. I get the impression you dont have the same problem and can easily cruise to 34 - 36 pts without playing near your best golf

I feel like my Handicap is too high, I just can't seem to keep it together for a full round. I go from playing a hole really well ( hit gir solid 2 putt) to a duff that runs under a tree, then I have to chip sideways and now I'm scrambling for a point. It's frustrating, I can hit the green with a 6i from 180-190yds on the 3rd and then miss the green with a 9i or vice versa.

I've changed how I play ( less loft chips, irons off the tee, laying up etc) and my clubs were fitting and it has helped. Last year most times I was struggling to make 25-26pts but it's still not where it should be.

Averaging 4-5 pars and the odd birdie means I should play to 18 at least, on my best day it would be low teens

3 Lessons booked so I'm hoping I can sort it out. Getting tired of being called a bandit on the 6th or 7th only to get the sympathy look on 15 or 16 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

slightly better yesterday.
    32 points with 4 scratches.
    driving reasonable to good but irons especially in the middle 6 holes were bad.
    Been working on lag putting a lot and it's paying off.
    There is a score in there soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

26 points today (it was a strokes competition, but lets not talk about that :P). Didn't play well for the most part, with some really bad short play. I'm still figuring out my ranges when i get closer to the green (within 100 yards). I hit my PW around 110 yards, and my SW only around 60-70 at the moment. I'm getting there though.

I did come out of the round pretty optimistic though, as i found a driver that i really like. Hit it a bloody mile, and it feels really nice. So looking forward to trying it again, hopefully mid week.

Kiith wrote: »
    26 points today (it was a strokes competition, but lets not talk about that :P). Didn't play well for the most part, with some really bad short play. I'm still figuring out my ranges when i get closer to the green (within 100 yards). I hit my PW around 110 yards, and my SW only around 60-70 at the moment. I'm getting there though.

I did come out of the round pretty optimistic though, as i found a driver that i really like. Hit it a bloody mile, and it feels really nice. So looking forward to trying it again, hopefully mid week.

Maybe invest in a gap wedge if you have such a huge gap between wedges? That or take a club less for your second shot and only leave yourself 110 yards for your third shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

27 points off 6.

8 Pars
    6 Bogeys (2 3 putts)
    3 Doubles (on two par 5s which is criminal)
    1 Treble

My driver completely left me on the front 9, you name it - slice/duck hook/block right/low and short. Missed 3 greens long after underestimating wind plus i think new grip and set up is getting me more distance.

Recovered well on back nine and bar two 3 putts, i would have shot 18 points.

Course is now playing full length and css yesterday was 74 (par 71) so very different to my previous course where CSS was always 1 or 2 under par.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    35 points today playing off 18.

Started double bogey, double bogey but got it together and had 19 points on the front 9. Unfortunately had a double bogey on 10, scratched 12 (couldn't find my ball and provisional in the rough) and 16, to hit 16 points on the pack 9.

Overall very happy with my round. 6 pars and no three putts being the highlight. I also hit my longest drive this year (by about 25 yards) on the Par 5 third hole at 285 yards.

I could have easily had another 3 or 4 pars as I left myself with quite a few tap ins.

Looking forward to the next round already.

And I've just been told I was beaten on a count back for third, so I'm even happier with my round now :)

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I Getting tired of being called a bandit on the 6th or 7th only to get the sympathy look on 15 or 16 :(

Welcome to my world!

• Advertisement

93 strokes in the metal yesterday. Apart from a 6 on the first par 3 (hit water) I was going well. played the back 9 in 2 over till I hit 16 (index 1) at greenside in 2 and thinned my chip ended up with a 7! Then pulled my drive on 17 into trees, ended up with a 8 :mad: least I think I hit the buffer but what could of been! Left 5 yes 5 fcuking putts on the lip for birdie! Story of my weekend..

Feel like I'm very close to a really good score..

Advertisement