Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung S9/9+

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

rizzee wrote: »
    Doubt it after 14 days ''cooling off'' period, after that I presume it's just manufacturers warranty for repairs.

I've 7 days left...time to make a shed load of calls to see how many drop...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I'd get rid and go for the p20 pro before it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

Yes you are out of the cost of the screen protector if you have to change it. (why didn't you go without the protector and then if the screen broke in a couple of weeks/months get the replacement and use a screen protector then?)

Doesn't seem to be a patch as of yet.

So glad I didn't change from my S8 now with all this trouble..

What replacement? Are Samsung offering a free screen replacement if you break the original one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Doubt it after 14 days ''cooling off'' period, after that I presume it's just manufacturers warranty for repairs.

Vodafone are releasing me from my contract.

I'd get rid and go for the p20 pro before it's too late.

That's what I'm thinking actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

j14 wrote: »
    What replacement? Are Samsung offering a free screen replacement if you break the original one?

Vodafone are.
    Vahevala wrote: »
    Vodafone are releasing me from my contract.

After thhe 14 days?
    GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    That's what I'm thinking actually

I would anyway... personally with the s8 i didn't see the s9 as much of an upgrade but knowing me changing phones a lot I thought I might be convinced soon after launch. There's absolutely nothing that entices me towards it now. It's a shame.

Vodafone are.

After thhe 14 days?

I would anyway... personally with the s8 i didn't see the s9 as much of an upgrade but knowing me changing phones a lot I thought I might be convinced soon after launch. There's absolutely nothing that entices me towards it now. It's a shame.

Yes, I have taken out an official complaint, I am with them over a month now.

Vodafone are.

After thhe 14 days?

I'm not with Vodafone so a screen protector was necessary from day one.

I'm not with Vodafone so a screen protector was necessary from day one.

The Vodafone offer doesn't include physical damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

On a call to a friend the other night, and the call seemingly dropped on her end, but not on mine. So I could still see the call, couldn't hear anything. But she had hung up, and tried to call me again but was going straight to voicemail. Anyone else having that problem.

• Advertisement

I made a few call now and it's not dropping the call, more the person on the other side disappears for a few seconds...and then comes back...

Even happened when I rang Vodafone support.. the stupid jingle when you're on hold went silent for 4-5seconds (and not due to the stupid voice telling you to go online)

Is everyone on an s9(+) loosing calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Not me, not had any calls drop, though I don't spend long on my calls. How long do you need to have a call before it drops? I can do a test to see.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Not me, not had any calls drop, though I don't spend long on my calls. How long do you need to have a call before it drops? I can do a test to see.

Mine were dropping at about the 5 minute mark.

Mine were dropping at about the 5 minute mark.

Dropping completely or fading out and coming back?

Dropping completely or fading out and coming back?

Dropping completely. I made two calls to test the phone (as I never really use the phone for calls) and both calls dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Black model,Italian version is €645 on Amazon.it. Sold and dispatched by Amazon.
    Afaik there is no drawback to buying the Italian version bar the charger is 2 pin plug.

Link

I think that's the cheapest I've seen it except from a few questionable sites.

My Spigen neo hybrid gun metal grey case arrived today...

NICE!!

Not as bulky or heavy as the case Vodafone we're giving with the phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

My Spigen neo hybrid gun metal grey case arrived today...

NICE!!

Not as bulky or heavy as the case Vodafone we're giving with the phone...

Where did you get it from?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Where did you get it from?

Amazon

Spigen 593CS22943 Neo Hybrid Galaxy S9 Plus Case with Flexible Herringbone Pattern Protection and Reinforced Hard Bumper Frame - Gunmetal https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0789S2LZH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wEq2Ab321TYFW

Amazon

Spigen 593CS22943 Neo Hybrid Galaxy S9 Plus Case with Flexible Herringbone Pattern Protection and Reinforced Hard Bumper Frame - Gunmetal https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0789S2LZH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wEq2Ab321TYFW

I went with that case and the whitedome screen protector both from Amazon UK.

There was a €30 saving to be made on my order buying from Amazon rather than Mobile fun.

It's a nice case just wish the back was a bit more tactile / grippier

• Advertisement

I went with that case and the whitedome screen protector both from Amazon UK.

There was a €30 saving to be made on my order buying from Amazon rather than Mobile fun.

It's a nice case just wish the back was a bit more tactile / grippier

Yeah I had assumed the rubber piece to be rubberier if that makes sense.

I have been released from my Vodafone billpay contract now. I obviously need to send the phone back but I guess now I have to look up alternative phones now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

After getting a replacement S9 last Thursday, the phone l got is just as bad. This one is actually dropping calls. Going blank mid conversation more than once and the coverage is shocking especially when l'm driving. Never had an issue with my S8 and the coverage is even poor around the house.

The battery is woeful. Worse than my S8. Took the phone off charge at 6am this morning and by 11.45am it was down to 30% and that's with the battery saver on. I can get a refund or get another phone.

Vodafone did say l could wait for a software update to see would it fix the problems but l don't know do l even want to keep the phone now. The problem is what phone do l get instead?

Kilsmum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Sintend

kilsmum wrote: »
    After getting a replacement S9 last Thursday, the phone l got is just as bad. This one is actually dropping calls. Going blank mid conversation more than once and the coverage is shocking especially when l'm driving. Never had an issue with my S8 and the coverage is even poor around the house.

The battery is woeful. Worse than my S8. Took the phone off charge at 6am this morning and by 11.45am it was down to 30% and that's with the battery saver on. I can get a refund or get another phone.

Vodafone did say l could wait for a software update to see would it fix the problems but l don't know do l even want to keep the phone now. The problem is what phone do l get instead?

Kilsmum
    You could try the Sony Xperia XZ2 if you want similar specs on Android or you could try an iPhone 8 if you want an iOS device.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah crap.. I have an S9+ on the way and I've just been reading back on this thread - really starting to worry now

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ah crap.. I have an S9+ on the way and I've just been reading back on this thread - really starting to worry now

Well, I've an S9 Plus and haven't had any issues, either with the battery or calls dropping. Actually, I did have a battery issue a few weeks ago where I was losing 30% of my battery overnight, while I was sleeping, but it ended up being a very bad app which I've since uninstalled, and now I usually only lose around 10% overnight.

What I've found is that Android is still poor at dealing with rogue apps, which obviously is down to the app developers, but it's disappointing that a small app can cause such problems.

For me, aside from that blip, it's a superb phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

SuprSi wrote: »
    Well, I've an S9 Plus and haven't had any issues, either with the battery or calls dropping. Actually, I did have a battery issue a few weeks ago where I was losing 30% of my battery overnight, while I was sleeping, but it ended up being a very bad app which I've since uninstalled, and now I usually only lose around 10% overnight.

What I've found is that Android is still poor at dealing with rogue apps, which obviously is down to the app developers, but it's disappointing that a small app can cause such problems.

For me, aside from that blip, it's a superb phone.

Same for me. Love the phone. With the exception of chrome shutting down every now and then. And the predictive text arrghh

Other than that deadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I've noticed Chrome shutting down randomly since the last update. Tried all the usual suggestions and still seeing the problem.

• Advertisement

I've been using Samsung Internet for a good while now and love it, with the exception of how it can't seem to deal with Twitter links.

Advertisement