Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Where did you buy it, and what model was it?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100542211

Cable
    https://www.eurosales.ie/products/twin-earth-6193y-cable-te6193y.html

RCBO
    https://www.eurosales.ie/products/AD990J.html

The Rolec has had a few issues for me. The control unit has "blown" and had to be replaced under warranty. Other than that it works fine and is a very popular unit.

There were also issues with some of the earlier Rolec's where they overheated so dont buy a second hand one unless you know it has the updated RCBO.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just as a little reminder in case, the night rate hours changed last week when the clocks changed.

I know for a day or two I forgot that my Leaf was set to start charging at 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Hi all,

Sorry to be resurrecting an old thread.

I’m thinking of getting a 2nd hand leaf in the near future.

Just bought a new house and I had the electrician run a cable from the fuse board out to the front driveway. Not sure of the exact spec right now, I think it might be 6square which should do 32a?

I was considering buying a zappi charger myself and getting my electrician to install it for me.

Thinking of getting the untethered version.
    Where’s the best spot to buy the zappi?

With the zappi is it possible to switch off power to it via an app?

Thanks

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just bought a new house and I had the electrician run a cable from the fuse board out to the front driveway. Not sure of the exact spec right now, I think it might be 6square which should do 32a?

I was considering buying a zappi charger myself and getting my electrician to install it for me.

Thanks

You need to get confirmation of grant eligibility BEFORE you do any work or buy any charge points.

6sqmm will do 32A as long as it’s less than 20m

Zappi untethered is not yet available.

I don’t believe it has an app

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Ok cool.

It’s only about 10m at most to the board.

The logical option might be to buy a type 2 connector and use a type 1 converters for the gen 1 leaf?

https://evcables.co.uk/index.php/charge-cables-for-type-1-cars/type-2-to-type-2-converter.html

Anyone got a zappi installed outside?

Looks like it’ll be ok:

“IP65 rated enclosure suitable for outdoors”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

I got a Zappi from Phil and am expecting the company he recommended to come out and quote for the installation.
    I don't need the 32 amps yet but will be asking him to set it up as one as it has the option of doing that without the need to put in a priority switch [2 electric showers already on one] via the sensor that detects current power draw.

Edit
    I went for a 10m type 2 cable and a T2 > T1 adapter https://evcables.co.uk/index.php/charge-cables-for-type-1-cars/type1-converter/type-2-to-type-2-converter.html?___SID=U

Ok cool.

It’s only about 10m at most to the board.

The logical option might be to buy a type 2 connector and use a type 1 converters for the gen 1 leaf?

https://evcables.co.uk/index.php/charge-cables-for-type-1-cars/type-2-to-type-2-converter.html

Anyone got a zappi installed outside?

Looks like it’ll be ok:

“IP65 rated enclosure suitable for outdoors”

Charge points are designed for outdoor use so no issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭daheff

Can the zappi units be locked so that nobody else can park up & plug in?

I dont see someone doing where I am, but just curious on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭bonoman66

daheff wrote: »
    Can the zappi units be locked so that nobody else can park up & plug in?

I dont see someone doing where I am, but just curious on this.

From page 15 of the Zappi Manual...

"..Lock Function
    zappi can be locked from unauthorised operation. The Lock Function requires a pin number to be entered before the unit can
    be operated. The lock can be set to be active only when the EV is plugged in or only when unplugged, it can also be set to be
    always active.
    The settings for the Lock Function can be found in the Other Settings/Lock Function menu option...."

https://myenergi.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/zappi-manual-v1.2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Stealthirl wrote: »

It's more cost effective, and neater, to just change the cable on the charger when the time comes.

There are quite a lot of Type-1 cables on ebay at the moment that have been removed from chargers that have been switched to Type-2.

Not so much Type-2 on ebay, so you'd probably have to buy new:

https://evcables.co.uk/index.php/charge-cables-for-type-2-cars/tethered-cables/euro-series-type-2-tethered.html?___SID=U

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭denismc

Hi all,

Thanks

You can buy the Zappi direct from the manufacturer but as someone else said any invoices for purchases need to be dated after the letter of offer, so get your letter of offer first, it should only take a few days.

https://myenergi.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭_dof_

denismc wrote: »
    You can buy the Zappi direct from the manufacturer but as someone else said any invoices for purchases need to be dated after the letter of offer, so get your letter of offer first, it should only take a few days.

https://myenergi.uk/

You could, but it would be cheaper to get it from electricautos.ie. Shipping from myenergi.uk is expensive, so it's around 615 euro delivered from them, but only 593 delivered from electricautos, or 585 if you can collect from naas.

Just had an electrician out about a the Zappi install and he's under the impression i would have to get a 2nd priority switch. Main reason i was going with a Zappi was i thought the grid sensor allowed it to charge up to 32amp depending on load without the need for a priority switch. I might as well get a cheaper type 2 EVSE if i have to get the priority.

Any Zappi owners got an opinion ?

Just had an electrician out about a the Zappi install and he's under the impression i would have to get a 2nd priority switch. Main reason i was going with a Zappi was i thought the grid sensor allowed it to charge up to 32amp depending on load without the need for a priority switch. I might as well get a cheaper type 2 EVSE if i have to get the priority.

Any Zappi owners got an opinion ?

He's wrong.
    Did you show him the manual and explain that it reduces the load when it sees high currents to ensure you dont blow fuses?

KCross wrote: »
    He's wrong.
    Did you show him the manual and explain that it reduces the load when it sees high currents to ensure you dont blow fuses?

No as iv not got it yet and never thought to download the PDF. He did say he has never done a Zappi and would have to consult with one of the other guys.
    The grid sensor defiantly allows detection of available power and adjusts accordingly ?

1 thing i did like was the addition of a lock out switch beside the charger

No as iv not got it yet and never thought to download the PDF. He did say he has never done a Zappi and would have to consult with one of the other guys.
    The grid sensor defiantly allows detection of available power and adjusts accordingly ?

1 thing i did like was the addition of a lock out switch beside the charger

If you hand the box or a link to the Zappi to an electrician he will simply look at its rating and see that its rated for 32A and rightly assume that you need a priority switch. So, at least you know you have a competent electrician! :)

But you need to show him the manual and explain how it works. Once he understands that, he should be fine without a priority switch.

Just explain that it has a sensor on the incoming mains and will adjust its draw down accordingly to ensure no fuses are blown.

I explained the last part to him saying that there's a sensor the goes on the main board feed the monitors usage and then adjusts power between 6 & 32A.

Ill see what he come back with

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭_dof_

[QUOTE=KCross;108229081
    Just explain that it has a sensor on the incoming mains and will adjust its draw down accordingly to ensure no fuses are blown.[/QUOTE]

And make sure that the sensor is installed with the correct direction, it's important that the Zappi knows the direction of current flow. There's an arrow printed on the sensor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

One for sale on the Facebook group for €250 if anyone is looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

kceire wrote: »
    One for sale on the Facebook group for €250 if anyone is looking.

Could you send me the link to the group please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The one on the FB group is mine. It's also on adverts.

https://www.adverts.ie/other/ev-tethered-type-1-home-charger-32-amp-evse/16400752

n97 mini wrote: »
    The one on the FB group is mine. It's also on adverts.

https://www.adverts.ie/other/ev-tethered-type-1-home-charger-32-amp-evse/16400752

Great thanks! Could you put the group link up also please, I'd like to join Any ev discussion groups, always interesting to read

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

https://m.facebook.com/groups/107445206006743

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Hi All,

quick question, will there ever be the option to install the wall charger outside connected directly to the meter box outside?

my fuseboard is quite internal and I am reluctant to have several walls drilled through to the utility room to the fuseboard.

thanks

eoferrall wrote: »
    Hi All,

quick question, will there ever be the option to install the wall charger outside connected directly to the meter box outside?

my fuseboard is quite internal and I am reluctant to have several walls drilled through to the utility room to the fuseboard.

thanks

Technically possible but as I understand it you are not officially allowed put anything into the meter box itself (eventhough some people do).

You can put another consumer unit next to it (in its own box) and connect that to the meter box and then connect the charge point to the new consumer unit.

You'd have to weigh up which option is cheaper.... new consumer unit outside or run the cable back to the old consumer unit. You'd need to get a spark onsite and give a quote.

Is there no option to run the cable through the attic and down from the ceiling to the existing consumer unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

KCross wrote: »
    Technically possible but as I understand it you are not officially allowed put anything into the meter box itself (eventhough some people do).

You can put another consumer unit next to it (in its own box) and connect that to the meter box and then connect the charge point to the new consumer unit.

You'd have to weigh up which option is cheaper.... new consumer unit outside or run the cable back to the old consumer unit. You'd need to get a spark onsite and give a quote.

Is there no option to run the cable through the attic and down from the ceiling to the existing consumer unit?

Thanks, hadn't thought of a new unit beside.

yes the attic is a possibility, but would involve the landing upstairs which is above the utility room. most likely is run the cable around the utility room, through the wall into the kitchen and run behind the kitchen units and out the back wall and then around the house... a lot of cabling!

would have thought new builds would be taking account of this issue in placing the fuseboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

eoferrall wrote: »
    would have thought new builds would be taking account of this issue in placing the fuseboards.

Taking into account the coming of EVs? In Ireland? :)

I explained the last part to him saying that there's a sensor the goes on the main board feed the monitors usage and then adjusts power between 6 & 32A.

Ill see what he come back with

did you get this installed in the end? i have a zappi and harvi and am looking for a registered electrician

Yup it's in a few days now [only used it twice] and it's working as i expected.
    Leon from Darkin EV did the installation

43743561_10155762412632747_5271240742797312000_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&oh=c4d407cc14ce3beae4bf7f4c67d1f2a5&oe=5C56367C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Any reason he put in the AC disconnect switch? I'd have thought the RCBO would do the job?

Advertisement