Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

ELM327 wrote: »
    Wow that's annoying for sure.
    Still radio silence on my account, nearly 4 weeks now and still nothing - no refusal though so that's sometjing!

Supper annoying,hope i have the money this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Supper annoying,hope i have the money this side of Christmas.
    Yeah it's sitting on my credit card bill waiting for the grant money.

Hope I have it before christmas too, that would be over 2 months waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I got an email the day after getting the money to say it was sent. So at least you get some notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sorry if I've missed it when skimming the thread, but am I right in thinking that I don't need to produce the individual bills for the charger and the spark, just apply for the grant, send in the electrician's certificate and they send me the money?

I have a Rolec installed at the minute but I was thinking of upgrading to a Zappi. The spark should be dirt cheap as he is a friend of the family and also the wiring etc is already done and dusted so it's literally just remove one and mount the other.

If the spark is cheap then I could have a new zappi for very little money as the grant is worth more than the charger is so I'd essentially only have to pay the spark.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The Electrician filled in the form with the amount he charged. I didn't send any receipt. So as long as you put the amount in the total on the form the electrician fills out then I don't see why you shouldn't get the full 600. Unless they go down the "it has to be on the first charger" rule route.

• Advertisement

The Electrician filled in the form with the amount he charged. I didn't send any receipt. So as long as you put the amount in the total on the form the electrician fills out then I don't see why you shouldn't get the full 600. Unless they go down the "it has to be on the first charger" rule route.
    My previous charger wasn't bought via grant. I bought the car second hand at a time the grant was only for new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭denismc

DrPhilG wrote: »
    My previous charger wasn't bought via grant. I bought the car second hand at a time the grant was only for new cars.

One of the questions on the payment request form does ask "Was an EV charge point already fitted to this premises before you started work?"

But afaik the grant is associated with your houses MPRN so if you haven't applied for the grant before at that address you should be fine.

denismc wrote: »
    But afaik the grant is associated with your houses MPRN so if you haven't applied for the grant before at that address you should be fine.

Yeah that was my understanding, the limit is only if you have already claimed a grant in the past.

I might call ahead to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

just a follow up question if thats ok.

I had another electrician out over the weekend, and like previous ones, stated that i'd need to do thousands of euros of work to the house to get the it passed, which i cant afford, the house is nearly 40 years old.

I was wondering, is it compulsory to get all the work done before sending in for the grant?

Like can i get a cert saying the charger was put in successfully but that, the electrician stated that x,y,z in other parts of the house need to be updated and still claim the grant?

I'm aware that i should get the work done asap but i cant afford to right now.

If every house in the country was to try get a charger and the grant tomorrow, easily over 50% would need work done in order to get a cert and the 600e and in that case, instead of getting money back, it would actually end up costing much more

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

I had another electrician out over the weekend, and like previous ones, stated that i'd need to do thousands of euros of work to the house to get the it passed, which i cant afford, the house is nearly 40 years old.

I was wondering, is it compulsory to get all the work done before sending in for the grant?

Like can i get a cert saying the charger was put in successfully but that, the electrician stated that x,y,z in other parts of the house need to be updated and still claim the grant?

If every house in the country was to try get a charger and the grant tomorrow, easily over 50% would need work done in order to get a cert and the 600e and in that case, instead of getting money back, it would actually end up costing much more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I mean, if you don't get the work done and you want your house to be a 32a fire instead thats fine too.

I don't think any electrician worth his salt is going to certify your installation if there are issues with your houses wiring.
    If 2 electricians are saying the same thing then I think you should consider upgrading your house for your own safety.
    Get a couple of quotes and go about getting finance maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yes, is the simple answer, unless you can find an electrician willing to risk his livelihood for you.

If you cant afford it then it doesnt leave you with many options. I'd suggest two...

- Ask the electrician if you could get a 16A charge point installed without the need for the remdial works. The answer is probably still going to be the same but maybe that would be allowed..... any sparks on the forum know if that would change the answer (as opposed to a 32A)? Maybe he could fit the 16A chargepoint to an existing circuit and hence it would mean different rules apply?

- Forget the charge point, just use a granny cable to a 3-pin socket. It will be alot slower than a Zappi but it gets you passed the issue. Obviously no need for the grant in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Electric Ireland may be offering a good deal on chargers , there one advertised on our internal website but it doesn’t state if it’s staff only.

Worth while calling them

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Details?

unkel wrote: »
    Details?

Less than 150 installed with added extras that brings it down more.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

On the electrical certificate for any new circuit there are tick boxes and readings that need to be filled in for it to be valid.
    These include the size of the mains tails, the earth to the hot press, boiler and earth spike. These all have to be up to current regs before any new circuit regardless of size can be certified.

Any other problems in the house on any of the other circuits are not this electricians problem. If he sees any issues he could fill out a notice of hazard and give it to the owner (and one to safe electric) but that is just if he sees them or they are obviously dangerous, he doesn't need to test the rest of the house apart from the RCDs

ted1 wrote: »
    Less than 150 installed with added extras that brings it down more.

W00t?

Any more info please!

W00t?

Any more info please!

As I said it may just be a staff offer , but it doedn’t say it is
    Just ring the home services team and ask about the home charger deal.

Eh yeah - checked it out. They charge €748 for an ABL 16A charger installed with just 4mm2 cable and just an 16A RCBO. Net of the subsidy that would be €148 - more or less what you were saying.

The ABL charger itself is excellent and can be flashed to 32A (I did it myself on my own free ABL charger) but not when 4mm cable and a 16A RCBO are used :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Eh yeah - checked it out. They charge €748 for an ABL 16A charger installed with just 4mm2 cable and just an 16A RCBO. Net of the subsidy that would be €148 - more or less what you were saying.

The ABL charger itself is excellent and can be flashed to 32A (I did it myself on my own free ABL charger) but not when 4mm cable and a 16A RCBO are used :rolleyes:

Ok.
    They were also offering some extras like 50% voucher and 10% off insurance.

The sparks installing would probably increase to 6 or 8mm. If asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

What work are they saying you need to get done ?

ted1 wrote: »
    The sparks installing would probably increase to 6 or 8mm. If asked.

I wouldn't count on that. Or at least I would make sure that was agreed before you do the deal with them

I had to have a robust conversation with a well known installer to convince him to use the 6mm2 cable that I bought myself (instead of using their own 4mm2 cable)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Does anyone know if you need to have purchased the car before applying for the grant. I’m picking up an Outlander next week and would like to get a charge point in ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭bonoman66

stimpson wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you need to have purchased the car before applying for the grant. I’m picking up an Outlander next week and would like to get a charge point in ASAP.

From my own recent experience, you only need the SEAI Home Charger Grant ID from the paperwork - my garage gave me a copy of it etc...

I'm buying an EV, have the deposit paid & the paperwork filled out with the garage. I won't have the car until Jan.

I rang the SEAI Grant Office to ask about timelines & whether I could apply, as I want my charger at home in place before the car arrives (I know I've loads of time but just want it sorted).

I'm waiting for them to add the EV car model I'm buying to their site so I can apply online (or I was told I can just select another car from the manufacturer - its not critical as part of the process that the car is exact).

So there does not seem to be any issue with you applying for the grant before you fully purchase the car - you just need that Grant ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

bonoman66 wrote: »
    From my own recent experience, you only need the SEAI Home Charger Grant ID from the paperwork - my garage gave me a copy of it etc...

I'm buying an EV, have the deposit paid & the paperwork filled out with the garage. I won't have the car until Jan.

I rang the SEAI Grant Office to ask about timelines & whether I could apply, as I want my charger at home in place before the car arrives (I know I've loads of time but just want it sorted).

I'm waiting for them to add the EV car model I'm buying to their site so I can apply online (or I was told I can just select another car from the manufacturer - its not critical as part of the process that the car is exact).

So there does not seem to be any issue with you applying for the grant before you fully purchase the car - you just need that Grant ID.

It’s a used car and has yet to be VRTed so not sure about the grant ID.

stimpson wrote: »
    It’s a used car and has yet to be VRTed so not sure about the grant ID.

Ok thanks sorry - can't say what applies for used car etc..

I'm sure others here with more experience will help with advice..

Hope you enjoy your new purchase !

You can apply directly to SEAI for the grant, it's on their website.
    There is no need for a car registration initially, just apply online and they will send you out the offer in the post. You then have 6 months to complete the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

I applied couple weeks ago. No car yet. Got approval in this week. Dont need any id or that for it

• Advertisement

barneyrub wrote: »
    I applied couple weeks ago. No car yet. Got approval in this week. Dont need any id or that for it

I was told by my garage I needed the grant ID to properly submit my application.

When I rang the SEAI Grant Team, one of the first pieces of information they requested from my was my Grant ID.

When you are filling out their online form to apply for the grant there is a section called:

Electric Vehicle Grant Application ID

It also states

Step by step process
    Complete our online Electric Vehicle Home Charger grant application form. You will need your Meter Point Reference Number (the full 11 digit number on the top of your electricity bill) and your home address Eircode. If you are buying a new EV here in Ireland and receiving an EV grant from SEAI, you will need to provide your application ID which will be available from your car dealer.

Maybe you had a different application process to follow for the grant (maybe its different for second hand versus new etc..) but this was my experience within the last few days etc..

- Just re-read the instructions - looks like the grant ID is really only for the new vehicle SEAI Grant - not specifically the Home Charger Grant. Sorry for my confusion.. You were right all along.. apologies..

Advertisement