Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade 1Ups replica cabs thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

frasr wrote: »

I don't want to be mean, but did anyone notice the little tiny bald lad At 39 seconds in that video who looks absolutely delighted to be getting an arcade machine suited to his height? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

o1s1n wrote: »
    I don't want to be mean, but did anyone notice the little tiny bald lad At 39 seconds in that video who looks absolutely delighted to be getting an arcade machine suited to his height? :D

Hahaha, you're a cruel cruel man o1s1n! :p

*Laughs in Satan*

So what is the height of these like compared to a sit down cabinet like the atomiswave?

I think they're about 4 feet high if I remember correctly from the pictures on GameStop?

Btw, it would great if Smyths sold these, you might even get them for €350 hopefully.

They're $300 RRP in the states according to the presented in the video o1s1n posted.

That usually amounts to €350 after taxes etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

I'd love to know what the internals are. Having one of these setup and having a side loader running would be great. Footprint wise I can see a nice corner in one of the rooms for one of these (purely for the young lad of course!)

Also cost wise Smyths usually do a 20% off everything in Autumn....although this usually excludes consoles and games, so may not apply.

As they come in flatpack form I wonder if they will be ikea quality flatpack (ie very easy) or use plenty of wood glue & screws try to fix

managed to get a image of the machines on the platform
    tdy_winezoni_180222_2.jpg

Looks like they are about 2 foot off the ground

• Advertisement

frasr wrote: »
    I'd love to know what the internals are. Having one of these setup and having a side loader running would be great. Footprint wise I can see a nice corner in one of the rooms for one of these (purely for the young lad of course!)

Also cost wise Smyths usually do a 20% off everything in Autumn....although this usually excludes consoles and games, so may not apply.

As they come in flatpack form I wonder if they will be ikea quality flatpack (ie very easy) or use plenty of wood glue & screws try to fix

I couldn't see them coming with wood glue, that would be a real crappy way of assembling them.

Did you notice any nuts or bolts sticking out of the cabinet?

Some of the flat pack ones on eBay are like that and look crappy.

It seemed to be fairly ok put together and not flimsy/shaky and didn't notice any visible screws/clips/bolts, but didn't get to spend time examining that side of it, too busy trying to stop the young fellow pulling pictures off the wall or taking pieces off the giant Lego Buzz Lightyear they have there

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭fmul9798

I wonder if they'll sell an add on plinth/platform or something. I could see myself cobbling something together if I had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

being offered on ebay for €530

€491 here

€550 here

€640 here

so wildly different prices out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Looks like SNK are going into the "mini" market, looks like a bartop...

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/19/snk-may-be-making-a-mini-console-stuffed-with-arcade-classics/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Actually.... Gamestop are already selling cabs...

Ahem...

Seriously, they have licenced cabs, two when I was in the store in Swords, for sale.

They actually have the Pacman and Space Invaders ones on sale, for €19.99 each.
    Might pick up the Pacman one for certain, if they had the Galaxians one I'd snap it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

https://youtu.be/S7XlI1iQOso

Video of the actual cabs and gameplay. From the "Irate Gamer" or Chris Neo as he is known by now. Looking past how irritating he is, the cabs look alright

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

https://youtu.be/S7XlI1iQOso

Video of the actual cabs and gameplay. From the "Irate Gamer" or Chris Neo as he is known by now. Looking past how irritating he is, the cabs look alright

The backlight bleed on those LCD's is pretty bad. But they do look ok ish.
    I'm curious what the innards of the cab look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The LCDs look really bad alright, I wonder is there recording making the bleed look worse than it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    The LCDs look really bad alright, I wonder is there recording making the bleed look worse than it is?

I was wondering the same myself. Worst case I suppose is to drop a same size/higher quality one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Actually.... Gamestop are already selling cabs...

Ahem...

Seriously, they have licenced cabs, two when I was in the store in Swords, for sale.

They actually have the Pacman and Space Invaders ones on sale, for €19.99 each.
    Might pick up the Pacman one for certain, if they had the Galaxians one I'd snap it up!
    They’ve Lego defender too and it actually works
    https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/lego-dimensions/images/0/0b/ArcadeMachine.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150828215309

https://www.arcade1up.com/

installation video on the site now

I wonder could you get an adapter for the ribbon cable or have a system to dual run with a Pi?

wXCsl4J.jpg

Skerries wrote: »
    https://www.arcade1up.com/

installation video on the site now

I wonder could you get an adapter for the ribbon cable or have a system to dual run with a Pi?

Yeah was just about to mention about the ribbon cable, it's a shame.

Surely it's just hdmi passed through a ribbon cable. I'm sure someone will figure out pinout and make an adapter for it.

Still a major inconvenience though, I can't see any other ports on the monitors box in the animation either.

I wonder if the emulation hardware is located in the control panel so or in that tiny box on the back of the LCD panel.

Also note that the Mortal Kombat cab is missing from the website and wasn't shown in the videos and pictures posted on social media.

Maybe they couldn't get the license for it or decided to ditch it.

yeah just noticed they have moved the games around as SF is now in a dedicated cab whereas it was with Strider and Gn'G before

• Advertisement

Ive a feeling the components in these cabs will be of a very cheap nature. By the time you’ve upupgraded the controls, wiring, possibly the screen, and get something else in there to run the games, you’d be in price range of a real cab with an arcade monitor and jamma setup

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

By the gods but I need that Asteroids/Tempest cab!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'd say that ribbon cable is solely for the controls. The video output is contained within that black box to the rear of the screen. It would make sense for the emulation or boards to be there as well.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I'd say that ribbon cable is solely for the controls. The video output is contained within that black box to the rear of the screen. It would make sense for the emulation or boards to be there as well.

And the speaker.
    Yea power cable goes to the box so Id say the emu is up there.

Hyzepher wrote: »

Yeah you're spot on, was only thinking that afterwards. It's a shame as it's going to hinder their sales because a high percentage of the market will want to use them for emulation.

Doge wrote: »
    Yeah you're spot on, was only thinking that afterwards. It's a shame as it's going to hinder their sales because a high percentage of the market will want to use them for emulation.

Won’t take long at all for a ‘solution’ to appear I imagine.

Inviere wrote: »
    Won’t take long at all for a ‘solution’ to appear I imagine.

Yup but if soldering or opening up that box is require they're going to be crushing a lot of their target market.

Then again us folks into emulation tend and arcade cabs tend to be a crafty bunch, so maybe it won't be a complete disaster!

Doge wrote: »
    Yup but if soldering or opening up that box is require they're going to be crushing a lot of their target market.

Then again us folks into emulation tend and arcade cabs tend to be a crafty bunch, so maybe it won't be a complete disaster!

I’d say opening of the box is a given, with no WiFi, and being directly connected to the screen, there appears no other way to access it for reasons. Worst case is rip the screen out, replace it with standard 4:3 screen of equal size, fit a Pi3b, and hope someone makes an adapter for the ribbon cable to talk to the Pi. An IPAC and small pc might make for an even better solution

Inviere wrote: »
    I’d say opening of the box is a given, with no WiFi, and being directly connected to the screen, there appears no other way to access it for reasons. Worst case is rip the screen out, replace it with standard 4:3 screen of equal size, fit a Pi3b, and hope someone makes an adapter for the ribbon cable to talk to the Pi. An IPAC and small pc might make for an even better solution

But is that not a case of Triggers Sweeping Brush, as in by the time you've finished little of the original will be left?

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But is that not a case of Triggers Sweeping Brush, as in by the time you've finished little of the original will be left?

See post #82 ;)

Advertisement