Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade 1Ups replica cabs thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    Ive a feeling the components in these cabs will be of a very cheap nature. By the time you’ve upupgraded the controls, wiring, possibly the screen, and get something else in there to run the games, you’d be in price range of a real cab with an arcade monitor and jamma setup

Indeed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

Some early reviews are now up for these, and rumours of extending the line of games down the road.

For what it's worth I think it's a decent package, and it's great that they're adapting the arcade for a layperson home market. However this video shows there's no dip switch or options accessibility so no altering of difficulty or lives, etc.

Also, the sneaky part of me is wondering how easy would it be to gut and make it into a JAMMA cab? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

I'm still really disappointed they changed the SF2/Strider/Ghosts N' Goblins cab to be a dedicated SF2 only cab. I presume it's due to cost/spread of licensing.
    I wonder how this affects people who pre-ordered said cabs.

echoing Kev's comment on Jamma and even Mame, I think ease of expansion is the key to a lot off people holding of buying these

Been also looking at some youtube videos on this, bartops seems to a future addition, as will cocktails.
    More items to come include pacman cab, final fight etc

Plenty of detail in this guys videos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OdePHpeUNw&list=PLWVxjCIabbO1mIABCvWam0KxedXKowGPV

Also gamestop.ie seem to have them available for pre-order again
    https://www.gamestop.ie/SearchResult/QuickSearch?platform=&rootGenre=&age=&listSkus=265368%2C+265369%2C+265370%2C+265371%2C+265372
    No mortal Kombat though....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

From looking at the Rerez review I think the screen is a bit too small for 2 player, it looks like it would be very cramped.
    Is it possible to get large 4:3 LCD screens that aren't crack these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    From looking at the Rerez review I think the screen is a bit too small for 2 player, it looks like it would be very cramped.
    Is it possible to get large 4:3 LCD screens that aren't crack these days?

Keep an eye out for Sony LMD Pro LCD broadcast monitors, you can get them in 4:3 at 20 inches and they're great quality. There was a dude on ebay selling them off for fairly cheap recently. Just did a google and one went for 50 gbp with the input board :eek:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-LMD-212-PRO-MONITOR-TUNER-SONY-MEU-WX2-Digital-Included/332672286726?hash=item4d74d04006:g:~RMAAOSwtDdabMuw

You can run VGA into that digital board so can easily connect up a PC.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Just watched that video, I still kinda want one! It's screaming to be modded.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just watched that video, I still kinda want one! It's screaming to be modded.

If there's any one of them worth modding, for me it definitely would be the SF2. :D

EDIT: Another review video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JWrqkCkN18

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Wouldn't mind a Pac Man version of these. I don't own an arcade machine (yet!), but I guess from a purist point of view it might not be arcade perfection however they do look very well.

Looks like a good size and not a bad price considering you can go into GameStop and pick one up (when they come out). The only thing that might put people off is that each one is basically a dedicated cab and people might want more games for the price.

Master of the Universe

Did you guys see the Rampage one? They actually have three sets of controls on it for Rampage and Gauntlet.

https://www.arcade1up.com/rampage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I need the Tempest one in my life.
    It comes with a spinner as well.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I need the Tempest one in my life.
    It comes with a spinner as well.

The flat pack nature makes it incredibly attic friendly, just saying... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Ssshhhhh

Whatever do you mean....

The flaming b@stards have Galaxians/Galaga as a Walmart exclusive!

I wonder if it'll be available here...

The flaming b@stards have Galaxians/Galaga as a Walmart exclusive!

I wonder if it'll be available here...

I hope they'll make it available eventually. I really have a sweet spot for Galaga.

Here's a video of the Atari cabinet in action.

Keep an eye out for Sony LMD Pro LCD broadcast monitors, you can get them in 4:3 at 20 inches and they're great quality. There was a dude on ebay selling them off for fairly cheap recently. Just did a google and one went for 50 gbp with the input board :eek:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-LMD-212-PRO-MONITOR-TUNER-SONY-MEU-WX2-Digital-Included/332672286726?hash=item4d74d04006:g:~RMAAOSwtDdabMuw

You can run VGA into that digital board so can easily connect up a PC.

The LMD-212 is actually 21 & 1/4" making it too big for flat pack kits from ebay.

And sadly the LMD-2020 would only accept RGB BNC, and I'd need a downscaler to convert VGA it into an interlaced signal.

I could ask to have a custom bartop / MIDI arcade cabinet made but it would probably be too much hassle for them and I don't know would I trust them!

Looking at Rich's bartop arcades doesn't inspire confidence as the monitor mount isn't centered vertically in the pic and is a bit diagonal! :p

Id say its just free standing in the picture.

s-l500.jpg

Would be awesome to have an arcade cab with an LMD panel though!
    Must do more investigating.

Looks as if the entire upper half of that is leaning to the right ^^ maybe it’s just the way the pic is taken

I would possibly, if not likely, soil myself if there was a way to get Tempest 2000 and Super Hexagon onto that spinner-rific Tempest cab

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

I would possibly, if not likely, soil myself if there was a way to get Tempest 2000 and Super Hexagon onto that spinner-rific Tempest cab
    Or how about the Nuon's Tempest 3000....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Has anyone established what buttons/ sticks are in these yet?

Has anyone established what buttons/ sticks are in these yet?

I’d be surprised if they’re anything other than Happ level stuff

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I’d be surprised if they’re anything other than Happ level stuff

Concave buttons would indicate that alright, might even be cheaper Chinese Happ clones!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The Final Fight one isn't out till Spring next year which is the one I'd be interested in
    Do you reckon you could buy these in store or will we need to order online?

As much as Id like to board the hype train for these, I’m staying grounded for the moment. If they’ve **** controls, a **** screen, and Pi levels of processing that won’t be able to give nice scanline filters...then You’re buying a 400 euro lump of wood with some stickers on it. Will have to wait and see them in the flesh

As much as Id like to board the hype train for these, I’m staying grounded for the moment. If they’ve **** controls, a **** screen, and Pi levels of processing that won’t be able to give nice scanline filters...then You’re buying a 400 euro lump of wood with some stickers on it. Will have to wait and see them in the flesh

It's still cheap enough though. I've been looking at doing a diy sit down build and by time you add all the guts and artwork you're going beyond 400 euro.

Doge wrote: »
    It's still cheap enough though. I've been looking at doing a diy sit down build and by time you add all the guts and artwork you're going beyond 400 euro.

That’s DIY though, you’ll never get out of them what goes into them. The big selling feature here is the reduced size, they’re obviously going to be way more Home friendly than a regular cab. I still have reservations about the quality though, and if it’s going to cost another 300 odd quid to get it up to speed (controls, buttons, screen, emulation guts), you’re looking at significantly reduced value for money.

I still maintain buying an original, good nick Jamma cab might offer the best value in this regard, and ultimately, a better experience with its arcade crt. As said, I’ll wait and see these in the flesh before passing judgement...they could by gold, or they could need considerable investment to bring them up to standard.

The Tempest cab has the buttons and spinners to support four games, Asteroids, Lunar Lander, Major Havoc and Tempest, and it's €399 in GS.
    Not too shabby and, unlike the likes of SFII, not as dependant on ultra responsive buttons.

Missed chance to stick Gravitar in there though....

The Tempest cab has the buttons and spinners to support four games, Asteroids, Lunar Lander, Major Havoc and Tempest, and it's €399 in GS.
    Not too shabby and, unlike the likes of SFII, not as dependant on ultra responsive buttons.

The proof will be in the pudding Cidey. A decent Ultimarc spinner costs around 80 euro or so, so the above on paper anyway sounds like great value.

The proof will be in the pudding Cidey. A decent Ultimarc spinner costs around 80 euro or so, so the above on paper anyway sounds like great value.

An earlier edition of the cab included Asteroids Deluxe, though it seems not to be in this one. That said I always preferred the original.

With months between now and the cabs release, might be an idea to put a deposit in-store and then start throwing a few bob on a gift card, have it ready to pay when the machine is released.

• Advertisement

Are they going to be hard to get do people think?

Advertisement