Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Neo (eGolf replacement)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

CDBWhoop wrote: »
    Now that we know a little more about the Neo and the battery options available, what price do we see it starting at in dealerships when it launches here?
    I've seen €25k mentioned but can't imagine this is anything other than wishful thinking at best

Why? Ioniq (with a far better spec than base Neo is likely to have) was €25k on the road with metallic paint 2 years ago. Neo won't be here for another 2 years realistically. With batteries having become significantly cheaper over those 4 years and the economies of scale of mass EV production by VW, they should be able to deliver a €25k base Neo here after incentives (give or take a thousand or two)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Now that we know a little more about the Neo and the battery options available, what price do we see it starting at in dealerships when it launches here?
    I've seen €25k mentioned but can't imagine this is anything other than wishful thinking at best and more likely just an attention grabbing headline figure.

So realistically, what is the entry level bog-standard model likely going to cost. Will it be close to the headline €25k figure or will it be closer to €30k or even €35k?

The best we have in relation to pricing is that VW say it will cost the same as an equivalently spec'd diesel Golf.

The entry level on-the-road price for a diesel Golf is €27k.

The unknown then is, will the base spec Neo be equivalent to a base spec diesel Golf. No one knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

unkel wrote: »
    Why? Ioniq (with a far better spec than base Neo is likely to have) was €25k on the road with metallic paint 2 years ago. Neo won't be here for another 2 years realistically. With batteries having become significantly cheaper over those 4 years and the economies of scale of mass EV production by VW, they should be able to deliver a €25k base Neo here after incentives (give or take a thousand or two)

Well if I was in the market for a new electric car I'd agree the Ionic would be hard to beat but I'm not planning to change for another couple of years. Having previously driven a golf and a GTi, I'd be more inclined to consider the Neo or whatever other ID variant was on the horizon and I'm sure there are many people in the same boat. Call it brand loyalty or whatever but for now I'm more interested in knowing what level of saving I need to aim for when the time comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I've seen €25k mentioned but can't imagine this is anything other than wishful thinking at best and more likely just an attention grabbing headline figure.

So realistically, what is the entry level bog-standard model likely going to cost. Will it be close to the headline €25k figure or will it be closer to €30k or even €35k?

They have said 2 years ago the point of the MEB platform was to drive down the cost of electric cars.

The cost of batteries has decreased and also VW are buying in large bulk orders to drive the cost down. They have used components in the platform to drive out cost so I could potentially see a 25k car. Maybe not on button 25k because you will pay delivery......

Now as I have always said will anyone actually buy the 25k is another question. VW love options or as they seem to call them packages on Neo.

So yes they could have a 25k base model but you will probably end up with a 28k+ car once you get the options you want.....

Well if I was in the market for a new electric car I'd agree the Ionic would be hard to beat but I'm not planning to change for another couple of years. Having previously driven a golf and a GTi, I'd be more inclined to consider the Neo or whatever other ID variant was on the horizon and I'm sure there are many people in the same boat. Call it brand loyalty or whatever but for now I'm more interested in knowing what level of saving I need to aim for when the time comes.

Pricing will start around middle of this year, around the time of pre-order. Personally I would be looking at 30k as a good starting point. Potentially 32k.

That will cover the base battery, delivery plus some nice items like the HUD and the Adaptive Cruise control

• Advertisement

That sounds very reasonable but I still have some reservations and it remains to be seen if VW can bring sell a base Neo in large volumes at the €25k mark as claimed. If they do they'll have no shortage of buyers. When you factor in things like the low tax and fuel savings, as with any electric car, it makes a very strong case for anyone thinking of changing over to electric.

KCross wrote: »
    The best we have in relation to pricing is that VW say it will cost the same as an equivalently spec'd diesel Golf.

The entry level on-the-road price for a diesel Golf is €27k.

The unknown then is, will the base spec Neo be equivalent to a base spec diesel Golf. No one knows.

That's an interesting point! Although its taken a serious knocking recently, I think its fair to say the VW brand was built on the perception of quality and that in buying a VW car you were buying affordable German reliability. Its no surprise the Golf sold in huge numbers over its lifetime.

The big question for me at least is will the Neo manage to hold onto that, will it have a premium feel to it or will they have to cut corners to hit the price bracket they're aiming for.

I suspect the reliability of electric cars will ease the worries of any former owners who've suffered reliability issues or concerns over diesel-gate. As for the feel of it, I guess we won't know until its available for test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Don't forget that your Ioniq was 25k including the incentives, i.e. about 35k without VRT/tax rebates. VW are talking about TDi money which including VAT/VRT in Ireland would be just shy of 30k. If the government incentives are still there in 2020 we are potentially looking at Neo from about 20k OTR, right?

No I meant around €25k list price give or take a grand or two for the base Neo after current incentives (if they're still there). Cheapest Golf diesel currently lists at €26k

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

When EVs like VW come to market, basically cheaper than present, there may be a sweet spot where the grants/subsidies are still fully in place for a year or two before they are reduced.

• Advertisement

That's an interesting point! Although its taken a serious knocking recently, I think its fair to say the VW brand was built on the perception of quality and that in buying a VW car you were buying affordable German reliability. Its no surprise the Golf sold in huge numbers over its lifetime.

The big question for me at least is will the Neo manage to hold onto that, will it have a premium feel to it or will they have to cut corners to hit the price bracket they're aiming for.

I suspect the reliability of electric cars will ease the worries of any former owners who've suffered reliability issues or concerns over diesel-gate. As for the feel of it, I guess we won't know until its available for test drive.

I think you might need to read back over the thread. A lot of the points you are making have been discussed numerous times.

Realiability was not the issue with dieselgate. The cars are still solid as a rock.

Why would VW release a car without a premium feel? if they want to release a less than premium it will be done under Skoda or Seat. They have already confirmed they will release 25 or more electric cars across all the brands.

The plan is to flood the market with electric cars and by the time anyone else gets a chance to catch up they will have a huge market share.

But Dieselgate and reliability are two separate issues. My question about reliability is based on knowing two owners that bought brand new Passat's recently and having had major issues with them. In both cases requiring multiple visits to the main dealer and not having the issues resolved to their satisfaction. I mentioned Dieselgate as it has the same impact as the reliability issues in that it damages the brand.

The point about the Skoda and Seat brands is fair enough.

But Dieselgate and reliability are two separate issues. My question about reliability is based on knowing two owners that bought brand new Passat's recently and having had major issues with them. In both cases requiring multiple visits to the main dealer and not having the issues resolved to their satisfaction. I mentioned Dieselgate as it has the same impact as the reliability issues in that it damages the brand.

The point about the Skoda and Seat brands is fair enough.

Not having a pop but the amount of times I have heard stories of a relative/friend/strange who has bought XYZ brand and had loads of issues....check the Motor forum, mention a car brand and expect a similar post

It could be possible, no matter what any manufacturer does their will be lemons. Ireland just seems to have a very hig percentage of lemons for the size of the market.....

Presonally I knew one person, was petrol A4, Audi just put in a new engine. Never had a day issue after that

Speaking personally, I have had VW and Audi at different stage during my life. Never had a days issue, kept them serviced etc.....current eGolf never had an issue, apart from a puncture.

Brother has had 5 Audi A4/A6 and again none of them ever missed a beat....

Also as they are electric, a lot lot less can go wrong on them....

Almost all modern diesels are a recipe for disaster from a maintenance / repair bill point of view (and don't get me started on the environmental impact / human health issues). But issues don't usually show up until a few years down the line, not so much for the first owner.

Almost all modern diesels are a recipe for disaster from a maintenance / repair bill point of view (and don't get me started on the environmental impact / human health issues). But issues don't usually show up until a few years down the line, not so much for the first owner.

Most of the issues down the line are down to poor servicing. No matter what car I have or what service schedule is I will do it every year. I don't care.

For the cost of it you are better in long run to just service it....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Most of the issues down the line are down to poor servicing.

Nah. Not with modern diesels. DMF, DPF, EGR, injectors all bound to fail at some point €€€€

And official long life service intervals are far too long I grant you that. Once a year any ICE car needs a full service. If doing over average miles, than more than once a year. Not those idiotic 30k km / 3 year intervals.

Nah. Not with modern diesels. DMF, DPF, EGR, injectors all bound to fail at some point €€€€

And official long life service intervals are far too long I grant you that. Once a year any ICE car needs a full service. If doing over average miles, than more than once a year. Not those idiotic 30k km / 3 year intervals.

Oh yes all of that will go :-) I just put that down to standaard costs you will have with a diesel.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

And the same can be said for any modern petrol...

High pressure injectors, gpf, turbo, dmf...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Interesting how sure the VW guy is that they have their battery capacity sorted. "It's done"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Gingham1

If these Golf sized cars are 25k then the price of Zoes and e-UPs must become cheaper and that is fine by me. 18k for a supermini with no gears, no noise and a 300km range suits me fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Gingham1 wrote: »
    If these Golf sized cars are 25k then the price of Zoes and e-UPs must become cheaper and that is fine by me. 18k for a supermini with no gears, no noise and a 300km range suits me fine.

If is the question

VW basically want everyone to delay buying an EV today and wait for us in 2020

Its a clever tactic to stop people buying Tesla's, long range Hyundai/Kia's because they have nothing to compete today

I hope the bastards ain't lieing, cause I am waiting too to see what they have to offer

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gingham1

Well my next lease car comes in February but only for two years. It is electric and hopefully by 2021 I will have considerably more choice including the Neo but for me supermini size is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭eagerv

Must say I am impressed with the design, looks a little taller than the concept pics would suggest.

More the shape of a smaller MPV, which should mean a roomy interior even with the underfloor battery.

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Interesting how sure the VW guy is that they have their battery capacity sorted. "It's done"!

Yeah noticed that too

Spent lot of money :)

Starting to believe

Don't let me down VW

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What's the time frame likely to be ?
    This time next year to place an order and mid/late 2020 before they arrive here?
    Or is that too optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

more or less spot on yabadabado.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

Pretty sure there will be online deposits in the Spring with production starting in November 2019.

yabadabado wrote: »
    What's the time frame likely to be ?
    This time next year to place an order and mid/late 2020 before they arrive here?
    Or is that too optimistic?

Preorder Q1-Q2 2019, demos Q3 2019 and order book open. Delivery Q1 2020....maybe some in late 2019

That’s what they said over 12 months ago and they haven’t changed it

Right and left hand drive start shipping at same time

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Preorder Q1-Q2 2019, demos Q3 2019 and order book open. Delivery Q1 2020....maybe some in late 2019

That’s what they said over 12 months ago and they haven’t changed it

Right and left hand drive start shipping at same time

Will they have prices?

330km wltp is only a bit than the 300km rated Zoe

Leaf40 gets 280km

Probably not 48kWh useable in the ID?

Kona has almost 500km in that test

Tesla Model 3 550km

Advertisement