Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That is true. Nothing will happen.

But considering the state of paths, cycle tracks and roads, and the distance. Its far more suited to cycling than a scooter.
    Besides, scooting is probably going to a lot more strain and stress on a back physically than cycling. You might as well be skateboarding. (yes I know of Casey and the Boosted Boards etc).

I think its one of things you'll have to try. I had a back injury and struggled to get to work on trains. I just ended up going in early or late and just driving or working from home.
    I use a folding bike occasionally, but the risk of lifting it fractionally awkwardly, and doing my back again, and also with the overcrowding on the train, it became too much hassle.
    I just drive to the station now and walk the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

ted1 wrote: »
    Pop into greenaer off Pearse Street and test drive One of their electric bikes

Thanks for the suggestion ted1. I should at least be open to an e-bike, but I had set my budget at €500 and really don't want to spend more. Looking at some of those bikes, I would be better off getting an electric moped and forking out for the insurance. I have a license for mopeds and sure my B license covers me anyway, as I got mine in 06.
    beauf wrote: »
    That is true. Nothing will happen.

But considering the state of paths, cycle tracks and roads, and the distance. Its far more suited to cycling than a scooter.
    Besides, scooting is probably going to a lot more strain and stress on a back physically than cycling. You might as well be skateboarding. (yes I know of Casey and the Boosted Boards etc).

I think its one of things you'll have to try. I had a back injury and struggled to get to work on trains. I just ended up going in early or late and just driving or working from home.
    I use a folding bike occasionally, but the risk of lifting it fractionally awkwardly, and doing my back again, and also with the overcrowding on the train, it became too much hassle.
    I just drive to the station now and walk the other end.

This is more or less what I was thinking beauf. I reckon the likelihood of being pulled over is very, very slim.

I do have some concern about my back using one of these, but I know short distance I would be fine.

Cycle commuting just doesn't appeal to me at all. The roads are simply not safe enough imo and it's stressful. Then as you say, it only takes one out of place movement when lift, or folding the bike and bam, you're out of action. It's even happened me when lifting the stroller from the boot.

I'm sort of put off the idea of scooting now. It seemed like a good idea and a great way to avoid congestion. The M365 is a far cry from that yoke in the article....which is exactly what I was not looking for...big fat tyres, flashy colours, stands out like a priest at a kids party.

Back to the drawing board so. Maybe leaving earlier is the answer, but that will throw up other problems, such as not being able to drop the kids off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

goz83 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion ted1. I should at least be open to an e-bike, but I had set my budget at €500 and really don't want to spend more. Looking at some of those bikes, I would be better off getting an electric moped and forking out for the insurance. I have a license for mopeds and sure my B license covers me anyway, as I got mine in 06..

With bike to work scheme, the cost for you is around half of the list price... So a 1000 bike will render you €500 poorer... They have those Dutch style foldable bikes too, you'd for one in the trunk easily.

It would be torture doing 5k not on a road. Pavement and junction design and pedestrian flow is so bad here.
    The danger of cycling is over stated, usually by those who don't do it. You can pick a quieter route and stay off the roads you don't like.
    Cycling is one of these things like swimming which is low impact. Its usually a good recovery from injury.
    Which is why I say cycling the 15k on a full sized electric bike would just probably be the easiest route, and no lifting a heavy folding bike. (A non electric folder would be lighter.)

But you have to want to do it. Most people find it fun and easier. If you are dead set against it though, I think you will reasons not to do it all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It is sad how in Ireland specifically this sort of thing is being made near impossible by fcuked up regulation.
    And if one wanted to be complaint, the mountain of red tape would be insurmountable.
    In most other countries small scooters are included in the car license, you then buy a small numberplate for a hundred bucks, slap it on and away you go.
    It seems like Irish politicians don't want to know about an actual, viable alternative to the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

grogi wrote: »
    I will grow very old before that happens. There are serial f$$$$rs being caught driving cars without insurance and while being banned. And NOTHING happens to them, they constantly get a snap on the hand and that's it.

You seriously thing that anything will be done to one scooting on m365?

Just because we have a cohort of scumbags, and their incestuous solicitors, who don't care about our laws doesn't mean that getting caught committing an offence won't have serious consequences for the majority of people. Do you think that the Gardai should stop doing DUI checks because some people regularly DUI after being banned?

All it would take is to hit a person or vehicle or meet a clued up Garda and the majority of people would be seriously affected. You'd be taking this risk every time you are on it.

grogi wrote: »
    With bike to work scheme, the cost for you is around half of the list price... So a 1000 bike will render you €500 poorer... They have those Dutch style foldable bikes too, you'd for one in the trunk easily.

I'm not employed. I've been self employed for years and I am now a student having decided to study something different.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    All it would take is to hit a person or vehicle or meet a clued up Garda and the majority of people would be seriously affected. You'd be taking this risk every time you are on it.

You do realise that the M365 is not fast, yeah? It does something like 25kmph max. I wouldn't even go that fast on it. The cruise control function was another thing I was really interested in. Set it to around 15kmph and take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm not employed. I've been self employed for years and I am now a student having decided to study something different.

You do realise that the M365 is not fast, yeah? It does something like 25kmph max. I wouldn't even go that fast on it. The cruise control function was another thing I was really interested in. Set it to around 15kmph and take it easy.

When people can get €60k for hitting their leg off a table leg, hitting someone when illegal using an MPV would be expensive and that's not even counting the driving ban snd points.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Del2005 wrote: »

When people can get €60k for hitting their leg off a table leg, hitting someone when illegal using an MPV would be expensive and that's not even counting the driving ban snd points.
    Generally if there’s no insurance , the person won’t get sued as the solicitor knows that they won’t have the funds to pay. I.e they chase the money.

In that case the MIBI would be paying the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,260 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Would an electric scooter come under the remit of MIBI?
    https://www.mibi.ie/about-us.8.html

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    Would an electric scooter come under the remit of MIBI?
    https://www.mibi.ie/about-us.8.html
    Is imagine so, it’s classed as a MPV.

Someone with a bad back won't be long giving up on a scooter.

As usual , someone wants to get something and the boards.ie police want to point out the legalities of it, so what if he wants to get this scooter what is it to people here ?

Anyway, I would say get a 2nd hand lightweight normal bike such as a giant and you'll even be able to pedal faster than 15 Mph.

As usual , someone wants to get something and the boards.ie police want to point out the legalities of it, so what if he wants to get this scooter what is it to people here ?

Anyway, I would say get a 2nd hand lightweight normal bike such as a giant and you'll even be able to pedal faster than 15 Mph.

I suppose knowing the status of the scooter with regard to the law is important, but I have been clear that I don't want to spend more than €500...which rules out any decent e-bike. Plus I don't want to cycle commute.

I had a Giant bike, but I can't comfortably cycle anymore for any meaningful distance. It was a brand new hybrid model i GOT IN 2014 a couple of weeks before I was injured. I gave it to my BIL because his bike was stolen.

I am improving, but recovery is slow in some areas. I have a nice Carrera bike from halfords now and can do short distances, but after 4-5klms, I start getting progressively sore.....and that's with taking it easy.

Hmm, then if normal bike is out I suppose normal ebike is out because they're heavy ?

What's the weight of this scooter ?

One word of caution, if you do get it do not charge or keep it in the house, at the very least charge it in the kitchen with a smoke alarm, these batteries can be volatile, the same goes for ebikes, hover boards etc. Luckily most ebikes have removable batteries. Even sitting there they can combust and burn the house down as rare as it might be it does happen.

As for riding it in the city, it's a mental place for traffic with no suitable lanes for cyclists what so ever you'd have to share with cyclists which at 15 mph I don't see a big deal because a fit cyclist on a light bike is capable of cycling over 20 Mph anyway.

Regards getting sued, well you can be sued for hitting someone on a normal bike anyway.

Hmm, then if normal bike is out I suppose normal ebike is out because they're heavy ?

One word of caution, if you do get it do not charge or keep it in the house, at the very least charge it in the kitchen with a smoke alarm, these batteries can be volatile, the same goes for ebikes, hover boards etc. Luckily most ebikes have removable batteries. Even sitting there they can combust and burn the house down as rare as it might be it does happen.

The M365 weighs 12.5kg....so heavy enough if carrying it any distance.

It also has a BMS. I would either charge in the kitchen, but more likely in the side entrance.

BMS is irrelevant when it comes to some battery fires. Wherever you charge it's essential to have smoke alarm as a bare minimum actually wherever you charge or keep the scooter regardless of charging it's a good idea to have it in a fire safe place with smoke detection.

12.5 Kg is heavy alright for the size of it. That's a lot with a dodgy back lifting in and out with a car but if cycling is too much then A, suffer city traffic or B get the scooter. :D

Well if it’s the mibi who pay out. That increases our premium.

I’ve no problem with them reclassifying them. But at the moment claims would add a cost to our insurance.

Also driving 10km and switching to a scooter for 5 km is just pure wrong

*smoke and heat alarm

• Advertisement

*smoke and heat alarm

Anything that aids in the detection of a potential chemical fire, you don't want to breath that in or have the house burn ! :D

I’ve no problem with them reclassifying them. But at the moment claims would add a cost to our insurance.

Well if it is what he wants who cares ? he already said sitting in traffic for that length of time both ways kills his back, not sure I would cycle around Dublin City myself, it's a dangerous place for cyclists, the cycle lanes are an utter joke , only In Ireland , cycle lanes shared with double decker buses and taxis !

As I said, a cyclist on a proper lightweight bike can cycle 20 mph and faster on level ground so I'm damn sure there'll be cyclists passing this scooter maxed out at 15 Mph or 24 Kph, a proper type approved ebike cuts out at 15.5 Mph, then you're on your own.

I'm sure it's more serious if a cyclist hits a pedestrian traveling at 20 Mph.

In the end Public transport probably makes the most sense especially in our horrible climate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

What about a regular folding bike? 5k is not far, much lighter than an electric powered thing, and will help overall fitness and strength which is a win for the back! Or better still pedal the whole 15k, it's not too far either but if your'e not used to it you may have to build up to it.
    5k on a regular folder in your normal clothes is very, very doable.

Well if it is what he wants who cares ? he already said sitting in traffic for that length of time both ways kills his back, not sure I would cycle around Dublin City myself, it's a dangerous place for cyclists, the cycle lanes are an utter joke , only In Ireland , cycle lanes shared with double decker buses and taxis !

As I said, a cyclist on a proper lightweight bike can cycle 20 mph and faster on level ground so I'm damn sure there'll be cyclists passing this scooter maxed out at 15 Mph or 24 Kph, a proper type approved ebike cuts out at 15.5 Mph, then you're on your own.

I'm sure it's more serious if a cyclist hits a pedestrian traveling at 20 Mph.

In the end Public transport probably makes the most sense especially in our horrible climate.
    Enough of this mph , we use kilometres !!!
    I cycle through the the city 60km each day*, I’m well aware what it’s like. * ( currently off the bike as a result of s dislocated shoulder from coming off said bike )

nee wrote: »
    What about a regular folding bike? 5k is not far, much lighter than an electric powered thing, and will help overall fitness and strength which is a win for the back! Or better still pedal the whole 15k, it's not too far either but if your'e not used to it you may have to build up to it.
    5k on a regular folder in your normal clothes is very, very doable.

Honestly, nothing appeals to me less than cycling. I would more quickly choose to walk the last 5k. I used to use a moped in the city daily and even that was a hazard because motorists just are mostly oblivious to bikes of all sorts.
    Enough of this mph , we use kilometres !!!
    I cycle through the the city 60km each day*, I’m well aware what it’s like. * ( currently off the bike as a result of s dislocated shoulder from coming off said bike )

Sorry to hear you’re out of action. That’s exactly what I am trying to avoid.... as I am accident prone :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Honestly, nothing appeals to me less than cycling. I would more quickly choose to walk the last 5k. I used to use a moped in the city daily and even that was a hazard because motorists just are mostly oblivious to bikes of all sorts.

If you're not into it you're not into it. But it's really not that dangerous at all. If you keep to the rules of the road, and hold your lane when needed it's absoluitely fine. The dangerousness of cycling is wildly overstated. I've been pedalling around Dublin city centre for 15 years now.
    But I understand it might not be for everyone, but don't put perceived danger put you off, cos it's actually a very safe way to get around.

It is not safe or wise to be using bus lanes as cycle lanes, it's disgraceful really and I can understand quiet well if someone was not interested in that mode of transport, Human V Double Decker Bus = squashed Human !

Not only that but there's very little if any separation from cyclist and traffic.

nee wrote: »
    If you're not into it you're not into it. But it's really not that dangerous at all. If you keep to the rules of the road, and hold your lane when needed it's absoluitely fine. The dangerousness of cycling is wildly overstated. I've been pedalling around Dublin city centre for 15 years now.
    But I understand it might not be for everyone, but don't put perceived danger put you off, cos it's actually a very safe way to get around.

I appreciate your input and your experience. However, I don't think cycling in Dublin cc is safe at all. It's grand where dedicated cycle lanes are in place and are off the road, but after that, it's a gamble. The cycle lanes are plagued with debris, glass, gravel, drains and then you have motorists cutting in to make a left turn a half second before you cross their path.
    It is not safe or wise to be using bus lanes as cycle lanes, it's disgraceful really and I can understand quiet well if someone was not interested in that mode of transport, Human V Double Decker Bus = squashed Human !

Not only that but there's very little if any separation from cyclist and traffic.

This. Not a recipe for a joyful, safe commute.

Also the thought of exerting myself and deeply inhaling diesel particulates in congested traffic is not my idea of getting fit and healthy. Maybe that's a little hysterical of me.

You are correct, all those cyclists thinking they're fit and healthy are deeply breathing in PM2.5 known to cause heart disease, lung disease, heart attacks, stroke and Alzheimers. They might feel physically fit but the effects may not be known for decades.

Of course we breath it in sitting in traffic but you're not as as exposed or breathing nearly as deep.

I wouldn't cycle in Dublin anyway, I wouldn't want to be part of this Cyclist against driver and driver against cyclist nonsense that goes on.

• Advertisement

I was driving through Fairview and Summerhill this morning. I saw some Asian lady on one of the seated electric scooters...exactly like the one linked earlier in the thread which was seized. And I also saw one chap on something similar to an M365 outside the Rotunda. I think it was an E-TWO?

Advertisement