Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

In some countries many people have Personal Liability Insurance which covers things like cycling, but also pedestrians and other things

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

ted1 wrote: »
    Why should it be compulsory?

It’s compulsory for Motor vehicles because the nature of the accidents means that the claims are beyond the financial means of the party who caused them.

Bikes are about 7-20Kg and carry little momentum, the accidents that they are involved in have some financial loss which generally isn’t beyond the Means if the person involved.

I believe that your desire to have them, have compulsory insurance is more out if begrudgary than solid reasons

Here’s the link :
    http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/membership/insurance

While a cyclist is unlikely to cause the financial damage a motorist would, they can still cause damage way outside of their means. The bike might be only 20kg, but the cyclist might be bring that load up to and above 100kg.

I witnessed a cyclist a few years ago break a red light at speed on the Malahide road and mowed down a pedestrian crossing in his twenties. The bike, cyclist and pedestrian were on the ground for a while with the cyclist having at least a fractured arm and the pedestrian definitely had a broken wrist. I don't think anyone thought about insurance details and no info was swapped in the time I was there. Cyclists can and do cause serious injuries and damage, so yes, I think insurance should be compulsory....but it should be just a small flat fee with a reasonable excess.

It's not out of begrudgery at all. Cyclist pose a high enough accident risk to justify insurance. That's a solid enough reason for me.

If the insurance companies get a whiff of insurance for bikes, you can be sure it will be gouged out of existence.

I can see it now, bike insurance for a 50 Km/h bike 800 euro's in Dublin !

I can see it now, bike insurance for a 50 Km/h bike 800 euro's in Dublin !

They have that already for mopeds :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

beauf wrote: »
    If the insurance companies get a whiff of insurance for bikes, you can be sure it will be gouged out of existence.

It might take cyclists off the road :D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

goz83 wrote: »
    They have that already for mopeds :pac:

Absolutely sickening. Total joke.
    Mofa insurance in Germany is done via a numberplate that you buy for €50. Buy it, shlap it on, off you go.
    That is you registration, tax and insurance in one. Valid for up to 50cc and 50 km/h.
    It even covers small cars that are limited to 45 km/h.

Ah but the even bigger joke is the E.U want all ebikes to have insurance, and the paddy government will bend over and do everything that the E.U dictates without even questioning how ridiculous it is. heading for a totalitarian society, slowly but surely.

Scooter arrived today. Came half charged. Required only the assembly of the handle bar and it was good to go. I ran it for 10klms throughout the day. Not a bother on my back and I even used it on the grass which was a bit bumpy. It’s good fun and not too fast. It touched on 25km/h on a cycle lane but I mostly cruised at about 15......it has cruise control :D

The built quality is very good and it managed to carry me up and over a train bridge.

Super well wear, post a pew pics and remember not to store this scooter in the house if you can at all, and if you have to charge inside charge in a room with smoke detectors.

• Advertisement

Scooter arrived today. Came half charged. Required only the assembly of the handle bar and it was good to go. I ran it for 10klms throughout the day. Not a bother on my back and I even used it on the grass which was a bit bumpy. It’s good fun and not too fast. It touched on 25km/h on a cycle lane but I mostly cruised at about 15......it has cruise control :D

The built quality is very good and it managed to carry me up and over a train bridge.

That is good news indeed!

Well wear! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Ginger83

ted1 wrote: »
    Enough of this mph , we use kilometres !!!
    I cycle through the the city 60km each day*, I’m well aware what it’s like. * ( currently off the bike as a result of s dislocated shoulder from coming off said bike )

Thats about 40 miles :D

I do the same ordering timber...gimme 16ft lengths....you mean 4.8M...no i mean 16ft like i asked.....then i get 15ft 9 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

RHJ wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Your quotes in bold text are a great reason why people should not charge or store lithium batteries inside the house !!!

Should be safe but the issue is a failure of any part of the BMS which could allow a single cell into a thermal runaway state causing a chain reaction, a dodgy cell that a BMS can not save etc, Certainly not worth the risk from any manufacturer , it is a genuine risk that is not worth risking lives and it's as simple as that.

My Bike battery was made by Bosch using, I think, samsung cells, I still would never charge it unsupervised and without smoke alarms. Same goes for any lithium packs, they can't be trusted because the consequences of failure can be catastrophic.

A battery that provides traction power has far more energy than any mobile phone battery with just one single cell, which can still go wrong but stringing many cells together increases the risk of failure.

Remember battery fires are chemical fires and you should never use water if one catches fire, also the smoke is highly toxic.

What scooter is it again?

What scooter is it again?

The Xiaomi M365.

I charged it to 97% last night an unplugged before going to bed. The scooter does have a BMS with lots of safe guards, but you can't be too careful.

I took a couple of snaps.

Battery envy :D
    IMG_3744.jpg

I added the little bag hook myself.
    IMG_3745.jpg

I downloaded the APP and it lets you control a few features. You can even set the regen level to 3 levels. I have set the rear light to be always on too. And if you don't want the kids using it, the scooter can be locked with the APP. The brakes are applied and the scooter makes an annoying beep when you move it.

The M365...like all things comes with its little faults. Thankfully these come with simple mod fixes, most of which I ordered separately.
    *No storage :pac:
    so I added a little hook for a bag....which already came in handy when dropping stuff to my Brother.
    *The folding mechanism lock wears down quickly and causes vibration through the shaft, leading to hand fatigue.
    This is fixed with a 3D printed rubber part which slots into the mechanism and prevents wear. It was an easy fix.
    *Brake light wire chafing from rear tyre contact.
    I have yet to install the fix for this. It's just a rubber grommet type part that replaces the existing one and acts as a guard for the wire.

I plan to upgrade the battery cover. The upgraded ones are thicker, protect the screws and can come with foam tape to better secure the battery pack on bumpy rides. Aside from that, I might put a phone holder on it.

It's possible to get bigger battery packs to increase the range, but I don't know what else is needed to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Ginger83

The Xiaomi M365.

I charged it to 97% last night an unplugged before going to bed. The scooter does have a BMS with lots of safe guards, but you can't be too careful.

I took a couple of snaps.

Battery envy :D
    IMG_3744.jpg

I added the little bag hook myself.
    IMG_3745.jpg

I downloaded the APP and it lets you control a few features. You can even set the regen level to 3 levels. I have set the rear light to be always on too. And if you don't want the kids using it, the scooter can be locked with the APP. The brakes are applied and the scooter makes an annoying beep when you move it.

The M365...like all things comes with its little faults. Thankfully these come with simple mod fixes, most of which I ordered separately.
    *No storage :pac:
    so I added a little hook for a bag....which already came in handy when dropping stuff to my Brother.
    *The folding mechanism lock wears down quickly and causes vibration through the shaft, leading to hand fatigue.
    This is fixed with a 3D printed rubber part which slots into the mechanism and prevents wear. It was an easy fix.
    *Brake light wire chafing from rear tyre contact.
    I have yet to install the fix for this. It's just a rubber grommet type part that replaces the existing one and acts as a guard for the wire.

I plan to upgrade the battery cover. The upgraded ones are thicker, protect the screws and can come with foam tape to better secure the battery pack on bumpy rides. Aside from that, I might put a phone holder on it.

It's possible to get bigger battery packs to increase the range, but I don't know what else is needed to do this.

Best of luck with it.

Would a helmet or hi vis vest be a good idea?

@goz83

What was the final cost to you including purchase, delivery, customs charges, VAT, the extras you bought to overcome small bugs etc etc?

I read there is custom firmware available which boosts the speed, but apparently disables regenerative braking ..... so does not sound very desirable. Have you considered trying different firmware?

Interesting review (don't think it was previously posted?)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=375&v=jbjNsYzqt_s

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Best of luck with it.

A helmet yes. I would rather avoid extra attention, so a hi-viz is out.
    @goz83

What was the final cost to you including purchase, delivery, customs charges, VAT, the extras you bought to overcome small bugs etc etc?

I read there is custom firmware available which boosts the speed, but apparently disables regenerative braking ..... so does not sound very desirable. Have you considered trying different firmware?

Interesting review (don't think it was previously posted?)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=375&v=jbjNsYzqt_s

So the scooter was €450.
    Delivery, VAT & what they call "Customs insurance" cost €60.
    Then the extra bits (fixes) cost €15. So €525 altogether.

I bought from lightinthebox so it came from the NL. It was the europe version which comes with an english manual AND two spare tyres and tubes.

I'm aware of firmware upgrades, but I will leave what I have on it. Changing it to custom firmware risks burning out fuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 marcosmb25

I am thinking in buy one,

Did you find any problem with the garda so far?

A helmet yes. I would rather avoid extra attention, so a hi-viz is out.

So the scooter was €450.
    Delivery, VAT & what they call "Customs insurance" cost €60.
    Then the extra bits (fixes) cost €15. So €525 altogether.

I bought from lightinthebox so it came from the NL. It was the europe version which comes with an english manual AND two spare tyres and tubes.

I'm aware of firmware upgrades, but I will leave what I have on it. Changing it to custom firmware risks burning out fuses.

• Advertisement

T....I plan to upgrade the battery cover. The upgraded ones are thicker, protect the screws and can come with foam tape to better secure the battery pack on bumpy rides. ....

Might not be the same thing, but on the Kids, Micro Scooters (the larger high end ones) they wore down the screws underneath from scraping, when I replaced the decks, it was another complications. Every part of the Micro scooters is order-able and replaceable.

I assume you'd be a bit more careful with an electric one though, might be less of an issue.

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Best of luck with it.

Note that a skateboard helmet (or BMX) is quite different to a cycling helmet. You'd want the former I'd expect.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/221820-bicycle-helmets-vs-skating-helmets/

marcosmb25 wrote: »
    I am thinking in buy one,

Did you find any problem with the garda so far?

I haven't come across any yet. I've used it a few times now and so far, it's great. Scooted to the local Lidl which is just over 1km away on a main road. Locked it to the trolley bay with U-Lock. Shopping went into bag-pack and scooted home. Quicker than taking the car.
    Might not be the same thing, but on the Kids, Micro Scooters (the larger high end ones) they wore down the screws underneath from scraping, when I replaced the decks, it was another complications. Every part of the Micro scooters is order-able and replaceable.

I assume you'd be a bit more careful with an electric one though, might be less of an issue.

It's an unlikely possibility with the screws, but I think the improved cover is worth it for the extra protection and cushioning to the battery pack.
    Note that a skateboard helmet (or BMX) is quite different to a cycling helmet. You'd want the former I'd expect.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/221820-bicycle-helmets-vs-skating-helmets/

I think a bike helmet will suffice and I already have 1.

was driving through Dorset street today. Spotted a guy cruising on his M365. Makes me a lot less concerned seeing other people using them, especially in an area with plenty of cops around.

For the moment, I am just enjoying my short trips to the shops on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I've had one of these in various baskets (Tomtop, Banggood, Gearbest) on and off constantly for the last 6 months and it was only just before re-opening this thread that I saw it on Lightinthebox. I'm slightly wary of all these companies, but seeing Goz's experience puts me slightly at ease. If seen the mods on youtube but wondering where you sourced the parts.

Also, just saw these. 45kmph. It'd be the worst idea in the world for someone as uncoordinated as myself, but I'm fascinated...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Cannot play the video!
    Is it working for everyone?

peaceboi wrote: »
    Cannot play the video!
    Is it working for everyone?

Original video wouldn't embed. Changed to above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I've had one of these in various baskets (Tomtop, Banggood, Gearbest) on and off constantly for the last 6 months and it was only just before re-opening this thread that I saw it on Lightinthebox. I'm slightly wary of all these companies, but seeing Goz's experience puts me slightly at ease. If seen the mods on youtube but wondering where you sourced the parts.

Also, just saw these. 45kmph. It'd be the worst idea in the world for someone as uncoordinated as myself, but I'm fascinated...

Don't think about it. You'll loose a knee ligament before you successfully ride it.

I am ok with my body, but air wheel was a complete disaster. And even if you ride it, it is rather difficult to control and do emergency stop.

Lol those look rather cumbersome, are you sure those are Ninebot ?

I'm only familiar with these Ninebot Mono wheels, check out the video near the end where he has 2 kids, one on each shoulder, mad !

I think these are far better but accidents can still happen.

Watch out for the mono wheel. :D

Another mono wheel, not sure if it's a nine bot but I still don;t think these are safe, I remember hearing about a 15 year old boy in London on a hoverboard who fell out under a buss and was killed.

• Advertisement

Lol those look rather cumbersome, are you sure those are Ninebot ?

I'm only familiar with these Ninebot Mono wheels, check out the video near the end where he has 2 kids, one on each shoulder,

The Zx is Ninebot’s hardcore range, the z10 has over three times the battery capacity and power output (1800w) over the likes of an e+.

Advertisement