Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Presidential Election 2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

How so exactly?

I'd be far more confident of a republican administration being more favourable to Irish skilled workers than a democrat one.

That's a huge assumption to make.

Trump is (somewhat understandably) acting from a perspective of protectionism, he's already taking 5k from the DV in 2020, in fact he is considering scrapping it alogether.

He's really not a fan of steel dumping (imports), nevermind human imports.

Beto is Demo, and 4th Gen Ire-Amer, so there is a better chance of any or all benefits towards Ire, that otherwise wouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's a huge assumption to make.

Trump is (somewhat understandably) acting from a perspective of protectionism, he's already taking 5k from the DV in 2020, in fact he is considering scrapping it alogether.

He's really not a fan of steel dumping (imports), nevermind human imports.

Beto is Demo, and 4th Gen Ire-Amer, so there is a better chance of any or all benefits towards Ire, that otherwise wouldn't be.

A lot of fourth generation Irish Americans could hardly find Ireland on the map.

The only reason they identify as Irish is to distinguish themselves from the Germans, Poles Lithuanian etc.

Ireland is at a huge disadvantage with the DV

I'll post the stats later but here is a snapshot

Kenya - Winning chances = 2.399
    Nepal - 1.656
    Moldova - 0.629

Ireland - 0.108
    Belgium - 0.053
    Netherlands- 0.076

So coming from a developing world country is better than coming from a western country when it comes to DV chances.

A points system that credits education and competence in English would be much more beneficial to us Irish.

There is nothing to suggest an democrat would be better for Irish than a republican would.

A lot of fourth generation Irish Americans could hardly find Ireland on the map.

Politicans usually have 'a bit of an idea' as to the location of countries.
    The only reason they identify as Irish is to distinguish themselves from the Germans, Poles Lithuanian etc.

Indeed extra votes from about +30m helps greatly.

Nepal - 1.656
    Moldova - 0.629
    Ireland - 0.108
    Belgium - 0.053
    Netherlands- 0.076

Kenya has many, many more applicants, hence they may have done better. Only 10,000 or so applied from Ire in the previous DV. Winning chances were 1.26%, reasonable in the scheme of things. There is a lottery element to it so odds of winning are low, but dynamic.

Point is, Trump was/is considering scrapping it altogether.

A points system that credits education and competence in English would be much more beneficial to us Irish.

There is nothing to suggest an democrat would be better for Irish than a republican would.

It's not really a points system, and it's not a global event, the E3 is simply the reminants/scraps of whatever the Aussies don't take. So there in no competition element to it, other than a degree etc.

As Trump is clearly understandably protectionist, he would be unlikely to increase the E3 beyond the proposed 5k, if it even makes it that far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'll post the stats later but here is a snapshot

Nepal - 1.656
    Moldova - 0.629

Ireland - 0.108
    Belgium - 0.053
    Netherlands- 0.076

So coming from a developing world country is better than coming from a western country when it comes to DV chances.

The diversity visa is different from any number of other visas that Irish people have a higher chance of attaining. There are already other ways to emigrate to the US.

Politicans usually have 'a bit of an idea' as to the location of countries.

But being 4th generation Irish does not guarantee any affinity to Ireland or it's people. It's merely a label at that stage.

Indeed extra votes from about +30m helps greatly

There is a misconception that all Irish American voters vote Democrat
    Many do of course but many don't

Many Irish Americans, especially the older ones tend to be conservative. They are not that favorable to LGBT issues, abortion etc. Items that are very much part of the liberal Democrat party agenda

A century and further ago the Democrat party was the party of choice for Irish Americans, and this continued through to the Kennedy era
    Remember that this was a time when the Democrats were the party of the white South.
    In the years since Kennedy many have left for the Republicans as they have seen the democrats become more liberal.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The diversity visa is different from any number of other visas that Irish people have a higher chance of attaining. There are already other ways to emigrate to the US.

Yes but none are that easy to get

The H1B was simple 20 years ago but now it to is a lottery also.

There is no points based system like Australia, Canada or NZ

Such a system would be very attractive to Irish applicants

But being 4th generation Irish does not guarantee any affinity to Ireland or it's people. It's merely a label at that stage.

Maybe, maybe not.

It's certainly useful for marketing. Didn't John 'Kerry' have his name changed to become more 'sellable'? Having a Mex nickname may well help Beto also.

All am saying is that if the Dems want a decent shot at POTUS, this may be their best chance. Currently 3r Fav, and just 10/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

https://twitter.com/DanRather/status/1060274370608648192

I'd agree with that. Amy would be a serious problem for Trump in the mid west also. Maybe stick O Rourke as VP and ideally he can run in the future.

Bump.

Looks like Warren will run,doubtful if she has much of a chance, but American politics has not exactly been predictable over the last few years.

Other ladies we should know soon enough will be Amy Klobuchar who I think would be very formidable for Trump especially when you look at her base.

Tulsi Gabbard also floating the idea, while she may try to appeal to the progressive base more than most, some of her previous comments and occasional flirting with some pretty right wing beliefs probably would torpedo her.

Harris obviously the most likely women to win in 2020 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Bump.

Looks like Warren will run,doubtful if she has much of a chance, but American politics has not exactly been predictable over the last few years.

Other ladies we should know soon enough will be Amy Klobuchar who I think would be very formidable for Trump especially when you look at her base.

Tulsi Gabbard also floating the idea, while she may try to appeal to the progressive base more than most, some of her previous comments and occasional flirting with some pretty right wing beliefs probably would torpedo her.

Harris obviously the most likely women to win in 2020 though.

+1 for Klobuchar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Rjd2 wrote: »

What makes Amy Klobuchar very formidable? She is a white corporate lawyer. She seems to be very much an establishment candidate when the US electorate has voted for 'change' candidates in both Obama and Trump. I don't see anything remarkable in her legislative record. Apparently her policy for combating childhood obesity was to have pizza sauce classified as a vegetable. I'm genuinely mystified as to what makes her very formidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I've continued to try identify Amy Klobuchar's selling point, and all I can see is that she clashed with Brett Kavanaugh at his confirmation hearing and got some praise on the back of it.

Trump is going to face a tough 2020 because no one believes anymore that he will surround himself with the best people or that there will be adults in the room keeping him in check. Anyone who held their nose and hoped for the best can no longer pretend to themselves that he is anything other than what he is. His only chance is building the wall to energise his base and extricating the US from Syria and Afghanistan. The Democrats might be forgiven in that context for thinking that they can throw out any candidate and beat him. That would be a grave mistake. Trump has proven very capable at dragging weak competition down into the mud and beating them with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Sand wrote: »
    I've continued to try identify Amy Klobuchar's selling point, and all I can see is that she clashed with Brett Kavanaugh at his confirmation hearing and got some praise on the back of it.

Trump is going to face a tough 2020 because no one believes anymore that he will surround himself with the best people or that there will be adults in the room keeping him in check. Anyone who held their nose and hoped for the best can no longer pretend to themselves that he is anything other than what he is. His only chance is building the wall to energise his base and extricating the US from Syria and Afghanistan. The Democrats might be forgiven in that context for thinking that they can throw out any candidate and beat him. That would be a grave mistake.

I think their biggest challenge might be telling HRC that she can't go again. Hopefully for their own sake somebody else beats her to the nod but I'd hope there was a lot of lessons learned from the last campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Democrats will have to stop the wall if they want to take away Trump's selling points which are he will uphold election promises. I am not saying that is good, but for voters he can say I went after China, the wall, reduces tax to get US corporation money back etc as promised in 2016.
    If Trump survives, he will be formidable for anyone in the Democrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think their biggest challenge might be telling HRC that she can't go again. Hopefully for their own sake somebody else beats her to the nod but I'd hope there was a lot of lessons learned from the last campaign.

No it won't..and no she isn't running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

The Dems are already ripping themselves apart internally over the split between Beto/Bernie/Warren. If Trump makes it to 2020, we'd all better hope the Dems can short their house out quickly or we'll have a repeat of 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Haven't been paying a lot of attention to this, but on paper I'd say Harris is the one best placed to take it. She's centrist enough to mop up all of the disenfranchised voters, has a clean enough background and her experience as an AG/Prosecutor means she could run rings around Trump's nonsense.

But if the Dems continue down the path of trying to appease republican voters by being centre-right rather than centre or centre-left, then she'll be rejected in favour of someone who's less open about gay rights and gun control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

listermint wrote: »
    No it won't..and no she isn't running again.

Is that definite?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

nc6000 wrote: »
    Is that definite?

She's a spent force politically and was a terrible candidate in 2016, I see no good reason why the dems would pick her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Trump will have been campaigning 2.5 years and raised hundreds of millions of dollars (he started his re-election bid inauguration day) by the time most Dem candidates even announce they are running.

So already whoever the Democratic candidate is they are at a massive disadvantage in terms of getting their message out and raising finance. Of course you have the added problem that all the media in the US will be wall to wall with coverage on Trump while ignoring most of the Dems campaigns.

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Trump will have been campaigning 2.5 years and raised hundreds of millions of dollars (he started his re-election bid inauguration day) by the time most Dem candidates even announce they are running.

So already whoever the Democratic candidate is they are at a massive disadvantage in terms of getting their message out and raising finance. Of course you have the added problem that all the media in the US will be wall to wall with coverage on Trump while ignoring most of the Dems campaigns.

Harris pretending that she hasn't decided if she will run yet is the most absurd. Just admit you are running and hit the ground.

I say that as someone who has money on her since 2017. :o

Sand wrote: »
    What makes Amy Klobuchar very formidable? She is a white corporate lawyer. She seems to be very much an establishment candidate when the US electorate has voted for 'change' candidates in both Obama and Trump. I don't see anything remarkable in her legislative record. Apparently her policy for combating childhood obesity was to have pizza sauce classified as a vegetable. I'm genuinely mystified as to what makes her very formidable.

She's very solid in the rust belt aka the Trump base. The only base who I think she may struggle with is the far left, but meh that only like Bernie and Tulsi.

seamus wrote: »
    Haven't been paying a lot of attention to this, but on paper I'd say Harris is the one best placed to take it. She's centrist enough to mop up all of the disenfranchised voters, has a clean enough background and her experience as an AG/Prosecutor means she could run rings around Trump's nonsense.

But if the Dems continue down the path of trying to appease republican voters by being centre-right rather than centre or centre-left, then she'll be rejected in favour of someone who's less open about gay rights and gun control.

That's why the primaries will be very interesting. I think Harris (if running) could do very well in the election, but I'm not sure she would be a runaway winner in the Democratic primaries.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

seamus wrote: »

They don't really have to - There are way more Democrat voters than Republican , they just don't vote very often..

The absolutely key thing for Democrats is getting their voters to actually vote , especially in the Swing states..

The larger the total vote , the more likely it is for a Democrat to win. This is one of the key reasons why people accuse the GOP of Voter suppression as they are the ones to benefit for lower turn-outs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Engaging the Democrat vote is going to be beyond critical; that the 2016 Primary came down to Bernie vs. Clinton should have been a clear sign of Trumps potential to win in the first place. The Democrats, or more specifically their SuperDelegates, ensured the Democrat voting public became split between their own sparky outsider in Bernie, and a quintessential Establishment candidate in Clinton. Maybe it wouldn't have counted for as much if she was charismatic and personable, but that she had little magnetism - a quality IMO more important in national posts in the US than equivalents elsewhere - further doomed things. The party can't rely on the midterms goodwill because that was obviously district to district, state to state & the local personalities that whipped up the vote.

Honestly, best ticket probably for the Dems to secure a win in 2020 is Biden/O'Rourke or Biden/Brooker. I think that ticket would mobilise the younger voters without the skittishness / "likeability" concerns from people like Harris / Warren. Perhaps even Biden/Harris would work?
    There needs to be a steady hand on the tiller but also someone that will engage younger voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Honestly, best ticket probably for the Dems to secure a win in 2020 is Biden/O'Rourke or Biden/Brooker. I think that ticket would mobilise the younger voters without the skittishness / "likeability" concerns from people like Harris / Warren. Perhaps even Biden/Harris would work?
    There needs to be a steady hand on the tiller but also someone that will engage younger voters.

Biden/Harris would make the most sense I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Perhaps even Biden/Harris would work?

I said that myself recently. I think that they need an establishment man at the top of the ticket, with someone like Harris as VP. It would lay the foundations for a Harris run to follow it up. Biden, given his age, would likely be a one term president.

The only thing I would say is that Beto has a lot of traction nationally at the moment, he's almost universally liked by young people and he very nearly won in Texas (which was surprising IMO). I could see Biden/O'Rourke 2020; O'Rourke/Harris 2024.

Personally, I'd vote for Harris or Biden as either as President or VP, but not sure I'd vote O'Rourke for President.
    I think running Warren or Bernie for President would be a huge mistake... no real view on them either way as VP.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I said it here already and I'll say it again. If you want to make sure you beat Trump in 2020 then Martin Heinrich is your man.
    He hasn't expressed any ambition to go for it but in his short time in office he has done enough, like what he did to Sessions, to show he has the toughness to win an election. He has a great image and it appears he doesn't have any skeletons.
    You take this guy now and you make him your man. He has the smarts.the charisma and his work history is very good.

I know it's unlikely that a junior senator from New Mexico will get to run but for me he is the standout certain to win candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

eagle eye wrote: »
    I said it here already and I'll say it again. If you want to make sure you beat Trump in 2020 then Martin Heinrich is your man.
    He hasn't expressed any ambition to go for it but in his short time in office he has done enough, like what he did to Sessions, to show he has the toughness to win an election. He has a great image and it appears he doesn't have any skeletons.
    You take this guy now and you make him your man. He has the smarts.the charisma and his work history is very good.

I know it's unlikely that a junior senator from New Mexico will get to run but for me he is the standout certain to win candidate.

The main problem with candidates like that is they just don't have a national profile. Outside of New Mexico nobody knows him. That can be worked on obviously, like the way Obama sort of burst onto the scene with his speech at the 2004 democratic party convention.

Up until recently I thought Trump would be hard to beat in 2020 but as time goes on he looks weaker and weaker. If he doesn't get something out of this shutdown that he can bring home to his base and they start to waver he could be easily beaten in 2020.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement