Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toyota hybrids

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Right, I have my hands on a "self-charging" Toyota Rav 4 Crossover for the next few days. Only driven 2km so far.

I spent a good 20 mins trying to find the port to plug it in but then of course I remembered it is self charging......this thing is brilliant. No need for petrol/diesel/electricity.....I can't wait to drive around for free for the next week......

Any questions for this magical vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

They're not claiming it's not a hybrid ;)

They're not claiming it's not a hybrid ;)

On the clock was 8.6ltr/100km, not sure what that was over

I reset and currently at 6.x but short distance.

Currently the Galaxy is 8ltr/100km so that is the challange.

THey use the CVT gearbox dont they?

It's "eCVT", nothing like a traditional CVT box mechanically but gives similar results. It's a planetary gearset (like a Model T :) ) and the two motor-generators are integral to the transmission, very simple and generally maintenance-free. Don't be afraid of high revs when needed, it's not a diesel :)

US EPA says 7.35 l/100km or 38 MPG (imp.), not the best out there but the new model out next year should be a lot better (new drivetrain), and that's for the 4WD version (the hybrid here is 2WD?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    On the clock was 8.6ltr/100km, not sure what that was over

I reset and currently at 6.x but short distance.

Short journeys and asking the HVAC for heat are your biggest enemys for efficiency in Toyota hybrid. It's also helpful to try to look far ahead and predict the traffic flow so you can coast for free for as long as possible. Don't stress about regen... The vast majority of battery charging is done under acceleration and as a small drain at higher speeds.

• Advertisement

It's "eCVT", nothing like a traditional CVT box mechanically but gives similar results. It's a planetary gearset (like a Model T :) ) and the two motor-generators are integral to the transmission, very simple and generally maintenance-free. Don't be afraid of high revs when needed, it's not a diesel :)

US EPA says 7.35 l/100km or 38 MPG (imp.), not the best out there but the new model out next year should be a lot better (new drivetrain), and that's for the 4WD version (the hybrid here is 2WD?).

My demo is 4 wheel drive

bp_me wrote: »
    Short journeys and asking the HVAC for heat are your biggest enemys for efficiency in Toyota hybrid. It's also helpful to try to look far ahead and predict the traffic flow so you can coast for free for as long as possible. Don't stress about regen... The vast majority of battery charging is done under acceleration and as a small drain at higher speeds.

The regen is tiny, even 1 on the eGolf is more aggresive. You would want to coast for a long time for it to stop, does it even have regen?

A few times tried to put into EV mode and yet to succeed. So much for the self charging....doesn't seem to have charged anything yet

Running at 6.4ltr/100km, that is very very very eco driving. I would never drive the eGolf like this....no need for speed today anyway with the roads around me full of trees

Using the brake pedal gently will increase regen. Any braking outisde totally stomping on the brakes or an ABS/traction control event will be also doing some amount of regen. The "CHG" portion of the Hybrid System Indicator (which I think is a dial on the RAV4?) shows how much regen is ocurring. On a 100 km trip I recorded, I got about 1.2 kWh just from regen.

EV mode will not activate if the ICE is cold or still in startup phase, SOC is too low (<3 bars on Prius, not sure about RAV4), or speed is too high - the manual should specify the conditions. It's more useful for parking manoeuvres or very short trips rather than normal driving.

Using the brake pedal gently will increase regen. Any braking outisde totally stomping on the brakes or an ABS/traction control event will be also doing some amount of regen. The "CHG" portion of the Hybrid System Indicator (which I think is a dial on the RAV4?) shows how much regen is ocurring. On a 100 km trip I recorded, I got about 1.2 kWh just from regen.

EV mode will not activate if the ICE is cold or still in startup phase, SOC is too low (<3 bars on Prius, not sure about RAV4), or speed is too high - the manual should specify the conditions. It's more useful for parking manoeuvres or very short trips rather than normal driving.

manual? thats for losers :P

SOC is what now?

And they say self charging is easier to electric :P

SOC = State of Charge - don't you own an EV? :D

You can just drive it like a normal car and see what happens - you don't need to know what's going on with regen and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Running at 6.4ltr/100km, that is very very very eco driving. I would never drive the eGolf like this....no need for speed today anyway with the roads around me full of trees

I wouldn't worry about trying to drive super economically. I get equally good results by accelerating somewhat aggressively and just planning far enough ahead for my braking event. The big fuel cost is in acceleration so do your best to carry as much of your speed as you can. I also use the cruise control almost everywhere :D. The other thing that's helpful is once you reach steady state speed lift gently off the accelerator and reapply slowly. You will often see this demands a bit less power than just maintaining the throttle position you had.

Its all good, I will spin around for a few days and see how I get on....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭ofcork

Anyone hear pricing on these yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭MickH503

ofcork wrote: »
    Anyone hear pricing on these yet?

The Corolla? Toyota.ie says

"When does the 2019 Corolla Hatchback go on sale in Ireland?
    Pricing will be available from your local Toyota dealer from the 18th of October, when more detailed product information will also be available. Given early supply restrictions we’d urge you to book an appointment now for after the 18th October to guarantee early delivery in 191."

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

According to dealer family member bought off other day, they're getting pricing, offers etc on Corolla, Camry and Rav4 at info meeting in Dublin on 18th and can give prices to anyone asking, Seemingly on Toyota website then from Friday morning,19th.

They have the Prius PHEV, any plans for other PHEV's?

There are some notions about releasing more PHEVs and BEVs in China over the next couple of years:

https://insideevs.com/toyota-shows-off-corolla-levin-phevs-with-31-miles-of-electric-range/

It's all a big vague what's going to happen in the rest of the world though.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

Anyone know why Toyota postponed releasing prices and spec for new models for a week. 19th October had been well flagged for long time by dealers/media as release date....suddenly now it's 26th!
    Assume dealers info meeting went ahead yesterday....were they unhappy with pricing maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Chippy01

scooby77 wrote: »
    Anyone know why Toyota postponed releasing prices and spec for new models for a week. 19th October had been well flagged for long time by dealers/media as release date....suddenly now it's 26th!
    Assume dealers info meeting went ahead yesterday....were they unhappy with pricing maybe?

I wondered why I couldn't find any prices listed. Ah well, we've waited this long, what's another week in the grand scheme of things.

Just had an e-mail from Toyota.
    New Camry from €39,750. No specs as yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭MickH503

Looks like they still will not support Android Auto

• Advertisement

Chippy01 wrote: »
    I wondered why I couldn't find any prices listed. Ah well, we've waited this long, what's another week in the grand scheme of things.

Just had an e-mail from Toyota.
    New Camry from €39,750. No specs as yet though.

Is that before or after grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭ofcork

Corolla from 26k hybrid Luna is nearly 38k&#55357;&#56855;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Anyone else here driver an Auris hybrid? Been driving one for the last few days and it feels like a very light car. I can feel the slightest bump on the road even at slow speeds. It's nowhere near as smooth as the SEAT Leon that I am driving at the moment, which feels like a much heavier car. A brand new set of tires were put on it very recently, last weekend I believe, if that makes any difference.

Berserker wrote: »
    Anyone else here driver an Auris hybrid? Been driving one for the last few days and it feels like a very light car. I can feel the slightest bump on the road even at slow speeds. It's nowhere near as smooth as the SEAT Leon that I am driving at the moment, which feels like a much heavier car. A brand new set of tires were put on it very recently, last weekend I believe, if that makes any difference.

The Leon is a Golf with a Seat badge. Far superior car to an Auris.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The Leon is a Golf with a Seat badge. Far superior car to an Auris.....

Ah ok, so it's probably just the car then. How would the Auris compare to the likes of an Opel Astra? Thought the Astra (1.4L Petrol) was a very smooth drive but the acceleration wasn't great. Sister drives one and she always complains about the acceleration in hers.

Berserker wrote: »
    Ah ok, so it's probably just the car then. How would the Auris compare to the likes of an Opel Astra? Thought the Astra (1.4L Petrol) was a very smooth drive but the acceleration wasn't great. Sister drives one and she always complains about the acceleration in hers.

If you have a Golf, or equivalent why would you look else where :P

The Auris hybrid is superior to the flat petrol engine in the VW's. They have a hybrid which is better but it is mega bucks

So if your driving suits a hybrid and you want a nice car....buy a Lexus :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

ofcork wrote: »
    Corolla from 26k hybrid Luna is nearly 38k��
    The Auris Hybrid Sol (Top Trim) is €27680 currently with the €1500 VRT relief. At €38k, that's a huge jump in price.

Is the Luna the top trim this time, or is there a Sol model to go above that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭vectra

New model Rav4 Hybrid starting at €35.900

vectra wrote: »
    New model Rav4 Hybrid starting at €35.900

Correct me if wrong but don’t they get a grant or something when buying like a PHEV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Correct me if wrong but don’t they get a grant or something when buying like a PHEV?

I don't think there is any grant as such for the HEV vehicles.
    As far as I am aware, any discount is only offered by the manufacturer.
    I stand to be corrected though.

Advertisement