Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toyota hybrids

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

unkel wrote: »
    All self-charging. Fantastic! I wish my own car would self-charge. Then I wouldn't have to plug it in twice a week. It would save me 2 minutes per week.

My petrol car also generates motion from burning fossil fuels!
    It's therefore self motivating.
    ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

vectra wrote: »
    I don't think there is any grant as such for the HEV vehicles.
    As far as I am aware, any discount is only offered by the manufacturer.
    I stand to be corrected though.

Ok it was because after the grant for hybrid was rewnewed Toyota came out with statement about it.....I thought maybe the self charging yokes got something

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok it was because after the grant for hybrid was rewnewed Toyota came out with statement about it.....I thought maybe the self charging yokes got something

The self charging miracle cars get a €1,500 grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

The self charging miracle cars get a €1,500 grant.

Didn't know that
    I thought it was only PHEV and full electric.

vectra wrote: »
    Didn't know that
    I thought it was only PHEV and full electric.

Yes it had been around a good while, originally it was 50% off VRT, which is why 10 years ago there was a huge proliferation of expensive Lexus RX hybrids. The government then reduced it to a flat €1500 grant to close off the massive VRT discount "loop-hole" without penalising cheaper Toyota hybrids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Berserker wrote: »
    Anyone else here driver an Auris hybrid? Been driving one for the last few days and it feels like a very light car. I can feel the slightest bump on the road even at slow speeds. It's nowhere near as smooth as the SEAT Leon that I am driving at the moment, which feels like a much heavier car. A brand new set of tires were put on it very recently, last weekend I believe, if that makes any difference.

What size are the wheels compared to the Leon? Bigger wheels with low-profile tyres have a negative impact on ride quality, it's not about how "light" it is really. If you want something that rides well (and are feeling lucky ;) ) get a French car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

What size are the wheels compared to the Leon? Bigger wheels with low-profile tyres have a negative impact on ride quality, it's not about how "light" it is really. If you want something that rides well (and are feeling lucky ;) ) get a French car.

Interesting, didn't know that and you are bang on about the wheels and tyres, in comparison to the Leon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Email from Toyota again and the price for the corolla luna hybrid still missing are they having a rethink as it was so high?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Has anyone any experience with the Prius PHEV?

it quotes 65km on a charge which is probably real world 50km

Is it the same engine as the normal hybrid after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

dashoonage wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience with the Prius PHEV?

it quotes 65km on a charge which is probably real world 50km

Is it the same engine as the normal hybrid after that?

Assume you are talking about the current generation? Yes it's same engine. The only change is a different final drive ratio in the gearbox.

I test drove one and thought it pretty good. The only only downsides being the boot space half taken by the battery and the cost over the standard Prius. It would be very challenging to save enough fuel to repay the capital cost difference.

• Advertisement

bp_me wrote: »
    Assume you are talking about the current generation? Yes it's same engine. The only change is a different final drive ratio in the gearbox.

I test drove one and thought it pretty good. The only only downsides being the boot space half taken by the battery and the cost over the standard Prius. It would be very challenging to save enough fuel to repay the capital cost difference.

Isn't it also a 4 seater?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Isn't it also a 4 seater?

Yes!! To me the boot is a bigger issue but other persons might have different needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

ofcork wrote: »
    Email from Toyota again and the price for the corolla luna hybrid still missing are they having a rethink as it was so high?

Got a brochure from Toyota in the post today. The Corolla Hatchback Hybrid Luna is €27,795 and the Corolla Saloon Hybrid Luna is €28,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Price must have been either wrong or too high on the email at 10k dearer than that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Berserker wrote: »
    Anyone else here driver an Auris hybrid? Been driving one for the last few days and it feels like a very light car. I can feel the slightest bump on the road even at slow speeds. It's nowhere near as smooth as the SEAT Leon that I am driving at the moment, which feels like a much heavier car. A brand new set of tires were put on it very recently, last weekend I believe, if that makes any difference.

We've had Toyotas since before I was born. I've driven (and in some cases, owned) everything from Yarises to Avensis over the years, and they're all like that, they all feel so light on a motorway.

They're super reliable and cheap as chips to run, and the conventional petrols are usually nice and revvy coupled with a slick gearbox, but I just don't like that light weight feel I get driving one. I also dislike the seats, doesn't matter what I do, I always get backache from them if I do a long journey.

I'm surprised by what you say about the ride, though, the one thing Toyotas usually are is supple over the bumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I went in to my Toyota dealer on Friday to get a trade in price on my 161 Auris Touring sport against a new model. They were a bit all over the shop. They have no price in the 2.0 and no idea of availability. It was down on the price list I got as “ETA July” and only in “Cross” trim. Dealer had no idea what that was. He gave me a quote for a trade in against a 1.8 Luna TS and apologised profusely about the lack of info. It’s bad enough when you’re looking to buy a car you can’t even see it drive (demo in for one day only in Dec. And no TS demo) but the drip feed of info is a disaster.

I ended up putting a deposit on a used low mileage Outlander PHEV yesterday. Should be an interesting proposition.

I went in to look at a phev prius yesterday as id asked about one earlier in this thread. Not for me unfortunately, going to try get a look at an i3 next

dashoonage wrote: »
    I went in to look at a phev prius yesterday as id asked about one earlier in this thread. Not for me unfortunately, going to try get a look at an i3 next

I really liked the i3. The interior is gorgeous. The missus had some wierd notion about needing space in the boot. Not sure what that was about tbh.

stimpson wrote: »
    I really liked the i3. The interior is gorgeous. The missus had some wierd notion about needing space in the boot. Not sure what that was about tbh.

I need room for a 35kg huskie :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Right, I have my hands on a "self-charging" Toyota Rav 4 Crossover for the next few days. Only driven 2km so far.

I spent a good 20 mins trying to find the port to plug it in but then of course I remembered it is self charging......this thing is brilliant. No need for petrol/diesel/electricity.....I can't wait to drive around for free for the next week......

Any questions for this magical vehicle.

How much is it.

• Advertisement

tretorn wrote: »
    How much is it.

Well the new one starts at 36k

The one I had, closer to 40k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I wonder what the mpg is like in it, I bet a diesel will do more. The reason it's 'self charging' is because the battery is tiny (and hence, nowhere near as sophisticated as a PHEV) so it can only do something like 2 km before needing the combustion engine to kick in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I wonder what the mpg is like in it, I bet a diesel will do more.

Depends on your driving pattern. A simple hybrid has a better mpg around town than a diesel, but worse if you mainly drive long distances. Not a huge difference in it either way - diesel is more efficient (and in this country costs less per litre), but regen in a hybrid gives you back quite a lot of energy. I'd say the maintenance on a petrol hybrid is better too and there are far less expensive bits that do go wrong like in a diesel with many failed technologies (like EGR / DMF / DPF)

The reason it's 'self charging' is because the battery is tiny (and hence, nowhere near as sophisticated as a PHEV) so it can only do something like 2 km before needing the combustion engine to kick in again.

Yup. In some countries Toyota have already been punished for using false advertising about calling their hybrids "self charging" :rolleyes:

It really is pathetic Toyota still do not offer any EVs. I wouldn't be surprised if they went out of business over the next decade or so.

I wonder what the mpg is like in it, I bet a diesel will do more. The reason it's 'self charging' is because the battery is tiny (and hence, nowhere near as sophisticated as a PHEV) so it can only do something like 2 km before needing the combustion engine to kick in again.

It's the other way around really - it's because it's not a plug-in hybrid that it has a small battery, as there's no point in putting in something larger. You don't want the ICE constantly charging the battery as that would be inefficient. A small battery around 1-2 kWh provides the right balance in being able to make it a more efficient petrol-powered car without adding too much compromise (increased weight, less space, etc.).

unkel wrote: »
    Depends on your driving pattern. A simple hybrid has a better mpg around town than a diesel, but worse if you mainly drive long distances. Not a huge difference in it either way - diesel is more efficient (and in this country costs less per litre), but regen in a hybrid gives you back quite a lot of energy. I'd say the maintenance on a petrol hybrid is better too and there are far less expensive bits that do go wrong like in a diesel with many failed technologies (like EGR / DMF / DPF)

Yup. In some countries Toyota have already been punished for using false advertising about calling their hybrids "self charging" :rolleyes:

It really is pathetic Toyota still do not offer any EVs. I wouldn't be surprised if they went out of business over the next decade or so.

Very interesting test done last week by the indo. An Auris hybrid vs an Octavia diesel on €20 worth of fuel. The Octavia shades it, but will 0.6l more fuel due to cheaper diesel.

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/which-goes-further-on-20-worth-of-fuel-hybrid-or-diesel-37475360.html

• Registered Users Posts: 64,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yes I read the test a few days ago. The Octavia diesel slightly better mpg and of course diesel is cheaper, but there was less in it than I expected. Just one test with two cars though (with two different drivers).

Very interesting test done last week by the indo.

I think you'll find it's a very biased test that was performed by Skoda ;)
    Statistically useless based on such a small sample of driving anyway.

I think you'll find it's a very biased test that was performed by Skoda ;)
    Statistically useless based on such a small sample of driving anyway.

I think Skoda would be disappointed TBH. Basically the same cost per mile, but hybridas are nicer to drive and far more reliable.

Very interesting test done last week by the indo. An Auris hybrid vs an Octavia diesel on €20 worth of fuel. The Octavia shades it, but will 0.6l more fuel due to cheaper diesel.

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/which-goes-further-on-20-worth-of-fuel-hybrid-or-diesel-37475360.html

Skoda ran the test and really should not have bothered because it just shows how good the hybrid is.

The diesel won but:
    The hybrid had bigger alloys which has affect on fuel
    The Skoda had more fuel in it
    The driving suited the diesel more with the majority on motorway

What this does prove is really majority of drivers in Ireland do not require diesel. Not the point of the test but that was outcome....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Skoda ran the test and really should not have bothered because it just shows how good the hybrid is.

The diesel won but:
    The hybrid had bigger alloys which has affect on fuel
    The Skoda had more fuel in it
    The driving suited the diesel more with the majority on motorway

What this does prove is really majority of drivers in Ireland do not require diesel. Not the point of the test but that was outcome....

Read that article, did the diesel not do more mpg which makes the performance even better as it had to carry the extra 600ml of fuel as well?
    The hybrid claimed better fuel economy and didn't live up to the claims, was what I took from it anyway

Advertisement