Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota hybrids

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Read that article, did the diesel not do more mpg which makes the performance even better as it had to carry the extra 600ml of fuel as well?
    The hybrid claimed better fuel economy and didn't live up to the claims, was what I took from it anyway

Read the article again, then read my point, then read the article again

Remember Skoda ran the test and the diesel was always going to win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Read the article again, then read my point, then read the article again

Remember Skoda ran the test and the diesel was always going to win

More fuel in the skoda was not an advantage for this test.
    Majority was not on motorway- 68km out of 271 for hybrid, 68 out of 294 for diesel.
    Better mpg or l/100km in the dieselso amount of fuel at the start was irrelevant.

Auris claimed 81mpg,achieved 58 around 70%
    Skoda claimed 69, achieved 59 around 85%

Disappointing performance i would have thought.

Would have got much further on 20 euro in an EV :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

686bf45f96ce06af9dd5324453868273.jpg

n97 mini wrote: »
    Most models have been available in the US for some time.

It's not really newsworthy. Toyota backed the wrong horse, hydrogen, and are trying to plaster over their mistake by marketing cars they've sold for years as something new... "self charging hybrids"

Race is only starting.

unkel wrote: »
    All self-charging. Fantastic! I wish my own car would self-charge. Then I wouldn't have to plug it in twice a week. It would save me 2 minutes per week.

Well, if an EV only took two minutes to charge (twice!), I think we'd all have one.

• Advertisement

Majority was not on motorway- 68km out of 271 for hybrid, 68 out of 294 for diesel.
    Better mpg or l/100km in the dieselso amount of fuel at the start was irrelevant.

Auris claimed 81mpg,achieved 58 around 70%
    Skoda claimed 69, achieved 59 around 85%

Disappointing performance i would have thought.

Would have got much further on 20 euro in an EV :)

Yes an BEV would have wiped the floor but anyway.

How is more fuel not an advantage? it's a distance test. Are you really trying to say the weight of that fuel would be a disadvantage? remember hte hybrid is pulling a petrol and electric motor plus a battery, The alloys been larger on the Toyota would be a bigger disadvantage

This was the driving:
    * Sandyford to Bray (25km urban driving).
    * Bray to Gorey (68km motorway driving).
    * Gorey to Arklow (27km extra urban/country driving).
    The rest was urban/country driving

So yes majority is motorway/country driving which should be advantage to the diesel. Remember most people would tell you the hybrid is only for city folk and everyone else has to drive a diesel

The main point in the article. * Overall, the Octavia was more economical by 0.1/100km but it is minuscule and reliant on factors such as driving style etc as to be negligible

So even with larger alloys and motorway driving the diesel was not more economical.

Any clearer? It's an embrassement for Skoda in my eyes

stimpson wrote: »

Mpg...... L/100km.....

Mpg...... L/100km.....

Mpg...... L/100km.....

ops.meme_.nba_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Well, if an EV only took two minutes to charge (twice!), I think we'd all have one.

I think if you look at his post again, you might just click that what he meant wa he would save 2 minutes per week PLUGGING IN AND OUT THE CAR :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

did the diesel not do more mpg which makes the performance even better as it had to carry the extra 600ml of fuel as well?
    600 ml of diesel weighs about 450 g. I've never really noticed a drastic increase in fuel consumption when carrying a pound of butter either...
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    ...remember hte hybrid is pulling a petrol and electric motor plus a battery...

Diesel engines weigh more than petrol, and Toyota's hybrid transaxle (two electric motors, btw) doesn't really weigh much more than a traditional manual gearbox. The traction battery is only about 42 kg (again, one of the reasons why petrol hybrids have small batteries). I couldn't find specific kerb weights of the two cars but I'd say they're within 100 kg of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bp_me wrote: »
    Those are different engines.

Stuff coming next year is also new engines though supposedly based on the learnings from the most recent engine generation in prius and chr.

Would they not just use Lexus technology?

600 ml of diesel weighs about 450 g. I've never really noticed a drastic increase in fuel consumption when carrying a pound of butter either...

Diesel engines weigh more than petrol, and Toyota's hybrid transaxle (two electric motors, btw) doesn't really weigh much more than a traditional manual gearbox. The traction battery is only about 42 kg (again, one of the reasons why petrol hybrids have small batteries). I couldn't find specific kerb weights of the two cars but I'd say they're within 100 kg of each other.

That's my point....600ml extra of diesel is not going to decrease the range because of the weight. It should increase it because it is extra fuel

As you said both cars are probably similar weight. So the facts I lined out above are the most relevant. Alloy size can have a huge affect on fuel consumption. If they wanted a fair test then it should have been the same size and same tyre choice. Who is to say the hybrid didnt have a C rated tire and the Skoda had A rated fuel tire.....

Skoda ran the test so they had all the benefits. Even with that they didn't really out perform the hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I think we can agree the test was shíte :)

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Chippy01

ted1 wrote: »

I would hazard a guess that Toyota and Lexus technology is damn near identical.

Chippy01 wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess that Toyota and Lexus technology is damn near identical.

It is identical....

Just the Lexus has a nicer interior and the service will cost twice to the Toyota

Similar to VW and Audi,

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ted1 wrote: »

The comparable Lexus is the CT200h which is pretty much the same as the outgoing Auris, there is newer tech going into the new Corolla hatchback and also the option of a 2.0 Hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

Anyone have the price for the corolla hybrid luna still not showing on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Chippy01

ofcork wrote: »
    Anyone have the price for the corolla hybrid luna still not showing on the site.

When a salesman phoned me last week about the Camry and the Corolla saloon, I think he said €39,500 for the Camry and €29,000 for the Corolla.

Don't know which trim level he was talking about though.

Maybe 29k for the luna so it was originally over 37k on the site but that disappeared,

• Advertisement

Here’s the price list I got in Tadg Riaordans. Rescued from the green bin by my missus...

The Touring sport quote I got was €1425 extra. Metallic paint was €625.

465688.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,547 ✭✭✭✭unkel

€29k is a ridiculous price for a Corolla hybrid. You can get a similar size PHEV and even full EV for that from other makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Round Cable

unkel wrote: »
    €29k is a ridiculous price for a Corolla hybrid. You can get a similar size PHEV and even full EV for that from other makes.

You'd get an Ioniq PHEV for not much more, Prius is ridiculous money these days too.

In fairness the Niro starts at 31495 and the ioniq at 32000. But I agree the Auris is steep, although they do hold their value. I was offered 19250 on my 161 Auris Touring that cost 29k.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

I was interested in the Corolla saloon but looking at the picture for the hatchback prices would it be fair to say a decent spec Corolla saloon could be about €33/34k ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,547 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I was offered 19250 on my 161 Auris Touring that cost 29k.

You would have been offered 23k on a 162 Ioniq EV that cost 25k ;)

I had an email this morning confirming that the 2.0 will only be available in Cross trim (whatever that is) and will not be available before July and no prices have been finalised. Useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I am definitely going to have a look / test drive in both the Rav4 and the Camry.
    Hopefully get one of each for an extended test to try them in varying driving areas.

Apparently Toyota are offering 3 day test drives would like to try the camry alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Hi all, i really like the new Rav 4, i got a price list like above from Toyota Longmile road which is €40,800 (Sol). May I ask is this going to be the best price or should I shop around.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisement