Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toyota hybrids

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Canonfan wrote: »
    Hi all, i really like the new Rav 4, i got a price list like above from Toyota Longmile road which is €40,800 (Sol). May I ask is this going to be the best price or should I shop around.

Thank you in advance.

If you’re paying cash then look for a deep discount. If you’re not fussy on colour then ring every dealer in the country and ask them for their best price. I saved over a grand when buying my Auris.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭ravendude

Canonfan wrote: »
    Hi all, i really like the new Rav 4, i got a price list like above from Toyota Longmile road which is €40,800 (Sol). May I ask is this going to be the best price or should I shop around.

Thank you in advance.

Like the look of it too, particulary the sport ( I think?) version with the 2 tone paintwork and black wheels. Did you hear when a demo will come in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

ravendude wrote: »
    Like the look of it too, particulary the sport ( I think?) version with the 2 tone paintwork and black wheels. Did you hear when a demo will come in?

The sale lady said mid January, for now only can see on Youtube :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I would like a look at this model as well.
    I just can't get my head around these suggested l/km though.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭ravendude

vectra wrote: »
    I would like a look at this model as well.
    I just can't get my head around these suggested l/km though.

I could be wrong here, and please do correct me if so...
    IIRC, mileage hasn't been published yet for the 2019 Rav 4, - the few videos I looked at were saying there is an embargo on the figures/data. I think I saw somewhere that they would be publishing data very soon, maybe even this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

I could be wrong here, and please do correct me if so...
    IIRC, mileage hasn't been published yet for the 2019 Rav 4, - the few videos I looked at were saying there is an embargo on the figures/data. I think I saw somewhere that they would be publishing data very soon, maybe even this week.

Brochure on Toyota Ireland site says 4.5l/100km combined. Now there's no way it will do that...but it might do 6.

bp_me wrote: »
    Brochure on Toyota Ireland site says 4.5l/100km combined. Now there's no way it will do that...but it might do 6.

You see this is where I am confused.
    Say it does 6/100 combined.
    What about on a long trip
    say 300kms each way almost 100% motorway including the M50.
    Cant see it doing any decent mileage there to be honest.
    Could you? :confused:

You see this is where I am confused.
    Say it does 6/100 combined.
    What about on a long trip
    say 300kms each way almost 100% motorway including the M50.
    Cant see it doing any decent mileage there to be honest.
    Could you? :confused:

Let me put it his way...

I have a chr hybrid. It's supposed to do 4.3 combined. I'm good weather it does about 5. Motorway trip in Ireland is about 6-6.5 (m9/m7 is awful for economy). About 2500km of European motorways over the summer was also roughly in the 6 range...most of that done at close to real 130.

Basically I think the new generation of engines and gearboxes has been a massive step forward over the previous generation. My auris was not as good despite having a smaller hole to cut in the air with a presumably sloppier shape.

Let me put it his way...

I have a chr hybrid. It's supposed to do 4.3 combined. I'm good weather it does about 5. Motorway trip in Ireland is about 6-6.5 (m9/m7 is awful for economy). About 2500km of European motorways over the summer was also roughly in the 6 range...most of that done at close to real 130.

Basically I think the new generation of engines and gearboxes has been a massive step forward over the previous generation. My auris was not as good despite having a smaller hole to cut in the air with a presumably sloppier shape.

That sounds like very good returns.
    I have spoken to many people that bought the CHR with high expectations and were massively disappointed.
    I think I might still take an extended test in the Rav4 and the camry when they come available.
    Thanks

That sounds like very good returns.
    I have spoken to many people that bought the CHR with high expectations and were massively disappointed.
    I think I might still take an extended test in the Rav4 and the camry when they come available.
    Thanks

A lot of the gains in a hybrid are down to driving style. If you floor it everywhere and are hard on the brakes then you aren’t going to see anywhere near the posted figures. If you are gentle on the throttle and coast to a stop then it’s a different story.

I averaged about 6l/100km in my Auris Touring, mostly around town. On long trips down the N2 I would get it up to 100km/h and put on cruise and I would see 5.3 for the trip.

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »
    A lot of the gains in a hybrid are down to driving style. If you floor it everywhere and are hard on the brakes then you aren’t going to see anywhere near the posted figures. If you are gentle on the throttle and coast to a stop then it’s a different story.

I averaged about 6l/100km in my Auris Touring, mostly around town. On long trips down the N2 I would get it up to 100km/h and put on cruise and I would see 5.3 for the trip.

@ 100kph?

What would you be getting @ 120 motorway in the CHR ?
    *EDIT
    Did you mention 130 in previous post giving 6/100 ?

@ 100kph?

What would you be getting @ 120 motorway in the CHR ?
    *EDIT
    Did you mention 130 in previous post giving 6/100 ?

I didn't mention 130 @ 6/100

Roughly I would say 5.3@100, 5.8@120 and 6.5@130

The CHR is bigger, but has a newer gen drivetrain compared to the Auris. I imagine it would be broadly similar. The 2019 Hybrids are different again, and I would be expecting Prius Mk4 numbers.

Running cost wise, I'd say the Auris was on a par with my 2010 diesel Avensis, assuming you discount the Avensis dislike for injectors. Auris was much nicer to drive if you can get used to the eCVT box.

I didn't mention 130 @ 6/100

Roughly I would say 5.3@100, 5.8@120 and 6.5@130

The CHR is bigger, but has a newer gen drivetrain compared to the Auris. I imagine it would be broadly similar. The 2019 Hybrids are different again, and I would be expecting Prius Mk4 numbers.

Running cost wise, I'd say the Auris was on a par with my 2010 diesel Avensis, assuming you discount the Avensis dislike for injectors. Auris was much nicer to drive if you can get used to the eCVT box.

I think it would certainly be worth my while having a good test run in both the new Rav4 and the Camry.
    I used to have a very heavy right foot but have learned to drive more conservatively in recent times. ( An age thing I reckon )

Thanks for the info.

Im pretty sure the biggest single gain was heated seats which means I dont need to have the engine running to heat the cabin for most of the winter on short hops around town which is where it suffers most.

I can see how someone who is used to driving a diesel and just believes the claims could feel misled when the car doesn't return as it should. As it's our second hybrid we knew exactly what we were buying, knew what to expect, and were in fact pleasantly surprised when it turned out to exceed our expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Im pretty sure the biggest single gain was heated seats which means I dont need to have the engine running to heat the cabin for most of the winter on short hops around town which is where it suffers most.

From having the Leaf it wasn't my arse that got cold, it was my hands. I didn't know heated steering wheels were so good.

The one feature Im missing that I really wish the car had!

I can see how someone who is used to driving a diesel and just believes the claims could feel misled when the car doesn't return as it should. As it's our second hybrid we knew exactly what we were buying, knew what to expect, and were in fact pleasantly surprised when it turned out to exceed our expectations.

Actually it should be noted that I run aircon all the time do my numbers are worst case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

anyone know when the corollas are due to arrive in showrooms?

dashoonage wrote: »

I had a text from Tagd Riordans to say the 7th. I think they only have them for a day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

dashoonage wrote: »

I think I saw February for Hatch and tourers (estate).

Saloon comes a little later

• Advertisement

The message I got was
    stimpson, join us on the 7th January from 9am to 1pm to see the all-new 191 RAV4, Camry, Corolla Hatchback and Corolla Saloon at Tadg Riordan Tallaght. To RSVP click here: http://toyotasurvey.force.com/sms/rsvp?id=Redacted or call Tadg Riordan Tallaght on 014517447

Which implies they will have them for the day. The salesman had said as much to me back in November. There will be a roadshow with each dealer getting them for a day.

The message I got was

Which implies they will have them for the day. The salesman had said as much to me back in November. There will be a roadshow with each dealer getting them for a day.

Yes,
    as far as I am aware, The Rav4 will be available to test drive, but the Camry won't until April.:(

I might go for the laugh, but that ship has sailed. I’m happier with my Outlander PHEV than I ever was with any of my Toyotas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The thread has got a life of its own....

has the OP posted at all in it? :-)

Yes,
    as far as I am aware, The Rav4 will be available to test drive, but the Camry won't until April.:(

There's a new RAV4 in the showroom in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

There's a new RAV4 in the showroom in Waterford.

The Rav4 arrived before Chritmas, most of the dealers should have one at the moment available to test drive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭ofcork

The cork dealers have them next week bon the 7th and 8th

ofcork wrote: »
    The cork dealers have them next week bon the 7th and 8th

And the 9th,
    I am going to Grandons that day for a viewing and a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭ofcork

What are you looking at camry?

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    What are you looking at camry?

Open to both the rav4 and the Camry.
    Preference would be the Camry.
    I think under 42k for the top spec one.

Advertisement